1.    #1  
    So I'm surfing the web looking for any type of news for a new Pre and this is what I ran into.

Consumer Reports "Can't Recommend The iPhone 4"

Wondering what people thoughts were on the matter
    my brother has the new iphone 4. One of the most beautiful gadgets I have held. But this issue is clearly a problem for him when in low signal areas, and even near his apartment in NYC.

we were going to get my mom an iphone 4 but after having her loose facetime video during a call using my brothers phone, specifically because of how she was holding it, we are holding off.

interestingly the 3gs and Pre both don't have this type of extreme attenuation problems according to consumer reports and the ny times article, something my casual observations over july 4th weekend support.

sure there is some attenuation on my pre if I cover it all up, but it's nothing like the iphone4 it seems like a real and unpatchable hardware design flaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    we were going to get my mom an iphone 4 but after having her loose facetime video during a call using my brothers phone, specifically because of how she was holding it, we are holding off.
    FaceTime is WiFi only. The WiFi antenna is on the top of the iPhone. She would not drop FaceTime calls if she was holding the phone normally (or probably any other way).
    <<Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    FaceTime is WiFi only. The WiFi antenna is on the top of the iPhone. She would not drop FaceTime calls if she was holding the phone normally (or probably any other way).
    NOTE: as discussed in other posts by mobileman and myself below, my original statement included here about how facetimes works in regards to needing an at&t signal is wrong.

the data issues, and antenna signal issues are, however, remain true.

facetime requires both an at&t signal as well as a wifi connection to be initiated and to be held.

look, i think that the iphone 4 is incredible, just a wonderful device, and was all ready to get one for my mother until she actually started to experience this problem in her house while talking to my (other) brother.

she did not drop the call, the call stuttered and the face-time stopped completely until she started holding it without covering the antenna.

i looked at apples page, it seems that the data is over wifi primarily and that some aspect of the call is needed to be sent over an at&t signal, but not the video. which means that her problem in that part was unlikely do to that antenna band i guess, unless there is some part the at&t signal plays and it almost drops the call when the at&t signal is disrupted.

the only things i know from personal experiance are that the video stopped working when held in the "death grip" and that the data speeds on the phone, as well as the bars displayed, are clearly and directly affected when i touch the corner.

thus, we are holding off on that purchase for her, if palm can take advantage of the voice recognition hooks, already present in the current webOS version and get voice dialing going before apple fixes the iphone4 we may decide a pre is a better choice.

we (meaning my brothers and I) prefer to get my mother a phone one of us already owns because we are the ones she will be calling for trouble shooting, otherwise we would obviously be thinking android.

I don't want to start a device debate right now, theres already plenty of them, im just saying that it is a concern that has change purchase plans for my family. I'm just sharing.
    Last edited by windzilla; 07/12/2010 at 02:26 PM.
    I've tried FaceTime on the Iph4. It's an awesome feature but needs a lot of improvement. I was chatting with someone over a 24m/bit cable connected internet on ".n" routers on each end. It dropped out and lost connection several times in the 15 minute conversation I had. Nice, but not yet ready for prime-time. It's just a novelty for now.

I have no experience with the Evo and Qik, but would be interested to see how it compares to FaceTime.
    facetime requires both an at&t signal as well as a wifi connection to be initiated and to be held.

look, i think that the iphone 4 is incredible, just a wonderful device, and was all ready to get one for my mother until she actually started to experience this problem in her house while talking to my (other) brother.

she did not drop the call, the call stuttered and the face-time stopped completely until she started holding it without covering the antenna.

EDITED

i looked at apples page, it seems that the data is over wifi primarily and that some aspect of the call is needed to be sent over an at&t signal, but not the video. which means that her problem in that part was unlikely do to that antenna band i guess, unless there is some part the at&t signal plays and it almost drops the call when the at&t signal is disrupted.

the only things i know from personal experiance are that the video stopped working when held in the "death grip" and that the data speeds on the phone, as well as the bars displayed, are clearly and directly affected when i touch the corner.

thus, we are holding off on that purchase for her, if palm can take advantage of the voice recognition hooks, already present in the current webOS version and get voice dialing going before apple fixes the iphone4 we may decide a pre is a better choice.

we (meaning my brothers and I) prefer to get my mother a phone one of us already owns because we are the ones she will be calling for trouble shooting, otherwise we would obviously be thinking android.

I don't want to start a device debate right now, theres already plenty of them, im just saying that it is a concern that has change purchase plans for my family. I'm just sharing.
    I can FaceTime when in airplane mode (3G is completely turned off).
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I have no experience with the Evo and Qik, but would be interested to see how it compares to FaceTime.
    it doesn't compare well at all. This includes Fring's iPhone client. I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of FaceTime and have used the feature a bunch of times to say goodnight to my children when I am working late.

I would never consider another phone without a front facing camera.
    I can FaceTime when in airplane mode (3G is completely turned off).
    you are 100% correct, i was wrong about how facetime works

seems like you only need mobile service for the first facetime call. facetime calls after that can be made over wifi alone.

AppleInsider | Apple's iPhone 4 FaceTime doesn't need a mobile signal to work

I updated my other post to reflect your correction.

Thanks! thats good to know.
    Last edited by windzilla; 07/12/2010 at 02:25 PM.
    There are four lights.
    The first thing I notice about facetime is how much better the call quality is using WiFi compared to At&t. Besides the video, voice sounds far better. Kind of makes me wonder if I can replace my carrier by just making WiFi calls.
    interestingly the 3gs and Pre both don't have this type of extreme attenuation problems according to consumer reports and the ny times article, something my casual observations over july 4th weekend support.

sure there is some attenuation on my pre if I cover it all up, but it's nothing like the iphone4 it seems like a real and unpatchable hardware design flaw.
    It must be the cheap plastic case in the pre which acts as an insulator instead of the exposed superior metal antenna in the Iphone 4
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~