Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    HP may have killed off it's Win 7 slate, but MS keeps trying to get the platform off the ground.

    Take care,

    Jay

    Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 slates are coming this year

    By Mary Jo Foley | July 12, 2010, 6:22am PDT

    Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 slates are coming this year | ZDNet

    Microsoft isn’t going to sit idly by and let slates from Apple and various Android backers run away with this market.

    Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told the 14,000 partners during his July 12 keynote at the Worldwide Partner Conference to expect new Windows 7 slates before the end of this year.

    Microsoft and its existing PC partners, including Asus, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba and Sony, will all be fielding Windows 7 slates in the coming months, Ballmer said. These slates will be available at a variety of price points and in a variety of form factors — with keyboards, touch only, dockable, able to handle digital ink, etc.

    Since Ballmer showed off a prototype of a Windows 7 slate from Hewlett-Packard at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, the company has said next-to-nothing about how it planned to address the slate form-factor space. (It’s interesting Ballmer didn’t mention HP in his list of slate partners this morning. (Update: As a few folks have pointed out, HP was still shown on Microsoft’s slate slide, however.) HP still hasn’t officially confirmed that it isn’t going to deliver a Windows 7 slate this year, but HP officials have said to expect the company to field a WebOS-based one this fall.)

    “We know you really want to know what’s coming” in the new form factor space, Ballmer told partners.

    Ballmer never mentioned the iPad or the coming Chrome OS-based slates by name during his remarks. Microsoft’s pitch will be that these slates will be sanctioned by corporate IT departments, enabling customers to use them at work and at home.

    I think it’s way overdue for Microsoft to tell customers what’s coming on the slate front. We’ve heard that there will be Windows Embedded Compact tablets and slates coming, but it’s doubtful (I’d think) that those will be able to run Windows apps.

    Microsoft execs can’t — with any credibility — keep pooh-poohing slates, claiming they’re nothing more than PCs, given how quickly the iPad has been gaining traction. Microsoft is known to be focusing on the slate form factor with Windows 8, but that operating system is still likely close to two years away from release.

    All that said, there’s more to a slate than just the physical form factor. If there isn’t longer battery life, instant on/off and some kind of app store with not just the usual business apps, but also consumer-focused apps and games, I’m not so sure users are going to bite…

    Microsoft officials are expected to show off some of the prototype Windows 7 slates later today during the partner conference keynote. Stay tuned for more….
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    Going to be a fight. Ipad , Android , WEB OS and Windows 7 slats . Good for the consumers. My choice would be either a WEBOS or Android . WEBOS first choice without actually trying one.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Going to be a fight. Ipad , Android , WEB OS and Windows 7 slats . Good for the consumers. My choice would be either a WEBOS or Android . WEBOS first choice without actually trying one.
    Considering no one has even launched a touchscreen tablet, or announced a real product with prices and specs and everything, except for iPad, i think all comparisons and even prognostications are premature.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Considering no one has even launched a touchscreen tablet, or announced a real product with prices and specs and everything, except for iPad, i think all comparisons and even prognostications are premature.
    agree finngirl --

    in any event tablet success or failure will be likely more about usability and utility, than compatibility (with legacy applications).

    I confess to being surprised at how popular the ipad has been. Clearly its interface is so strong that its been able to overcome objections like mine over its lack of USB ports etc.

    Android and webos OSes have at least a shot at still making a go of it, though webos is perhaps fatally hobbled by coming only from HP.

    win7 tablets ?? They better be compelling. Legacy standard compatibility will be desirable, especially in vertical business usage, but not so important for consumers.



    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

    4/6/2010

    Why I want the iPad to fail !!

    Its not that I’m not intrigued by the potential for the iPad –- by its lengthy battery life, its light weight, its usefulness for watching movies on long flights, its potential wealth of interesting and useful applications.

    No I am not an unalterable Apple hater -– its not just that BARYE is incurably jealous of Steve Jobs (well not entirely... )

    The reason I hope no one buys it, is because of that potential -– because it could be so useful, because it COULD be so great to have in ones back pack.

    But unconscionably Jobs once again has stabbed us in our heart with his proprietary nonsense.

    No SD card slot ??? Bad – stupid even – but I sorta get how Jobs needs to make it hard to expand his gizmo's memory -– lest he lose the lever to extract that extra two hundred or so smackers from your wallet. Why else would you pay so much for more storage ??

    No Flash ?? Inconvenient on many sites for now –- but an issue that will sort itself out over time as more websites adopt HTML 5, and otherwise move away from proprietary Flash.

    No multi-tasking ?? Kinda annoying, and dumb – most especially since the ARM based processor the iPad uses could seemingly do it without much of a sweat. But perhaps the performance hit is sufficient to slow the iPad’s currently greased lightning interface enough that Steve didn’t want to sacrifice grace for utility.

    No camera ?? No video Skype, no spontaneous iPad youTubes ?? Dumb.

    But even more dumb is keeping the iTouch camera-less -- which keeps me from owning one. Naw -- no camera is another annoying Jobs bit of arrogance toward his users, but its not a deal breaker in and of itself.

    No, what really infuriates BARYE is how Steve neglected to include even one USB port on his tablet.

    That universal USB connector enables a world of capability and access.

    I sometimes travel to remote destinations, places that don’t always have the most modern tech facilities or the best equipped internet cafes.

    A USB port could have been an emergency alternate charging port, it could have allowed me to use an Ethernet to USB adapter for internet cafes that don’t have wifi, it would have enabled easy drag and drop access to computer files, thumb drives, standard keyboards, etc...

    It would have taken up next to no space and cost little to incorporate.

    There would have been issues of battery draw that maybe needed to be addressed for devices it powered etc. -– but I suspect that they that could have been surmounted by simply providing the iPad with a low voltage USB port.

    Instead he requires the use of his restricted proprietary connector for which we must buy an expensive adapter to use.

    I confess to being only a minor geek -- and I very well maybe wrong about many of the technical complaints that I have, but I think Jobs closed garden aesthetic is destructive.

    I hope I’m not alone in wanting Jobs somehow to be punished for his tyrannical proprietary demands.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/12/2010 at 03:34 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

    It is not that I want the Ipad to fail, it is that I can't stand the attitude of Jobs. He is arrogant, brash, and pigheaded!

    Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    It is not that I want the Ipad to fail, it is that I can't stand the attitude of Jobs. He is arrogant, brash, and pigheaded!

    Take care, Jay
    And that is different from the fan - boys of just about any other phone, including Palm, how?

    The only difference I see is that Jobs actually delivered a product that a lot of people want to buy (and no, they don't buy en masse EVERYTHING he delivers....Apple TV? 17" MacBook?) and the others are trying to catch up.

    If you don't see the arrogance in the others, its only because while they are jostling to take the lead they know it would be suicide to brag.

    All CEOs, who hit a home run (and many who don't) are arrogant. I find this a foolish factor in making a product decision.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    All CEOs, who hit a home run (and many who don't) are arrogant. I find this a foolish factor in making a product decision.
    Jobs may hit homeruns but it is only because he has people who carry the ball and drop it over the fence for him. THATS what is annoying.

    I'm with Jay on this one
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Jobs may hit homeruns but it is only because he has people who carry the ball and drop it over the fence for him. THATS what is annoying.

    I'm with Jay on this one

    i don't think your analogy carries unless you are willing to apply it to all CEOS.

    Face it, you need a two ton ego for this business.

    To pretend that Ballmer or Rubenstein or any of the others isn't an insufferable egomaniac is pure fantasy.

    The only reason you're calling out Jobs is because he has all the hype. It's easy to appear humble when you're scratching for position.

    Personally, the worst egomaniacs in my book are the guys at Google. "Do no evil," my ***.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    i don't think your analogy carries unless you are willing to apply it to all CEOS.

    Face it, you need a two ton ego for this business.

    To pretend that Ballmer or Rubenstein or any of the others isn't an insufferable egomaniac is pure fantasy.

    The only reason you're calling out Jobs is because he has all the hype. It's easy to appear humble when you're scratching for position.

    Personally, the worst egomaniacs in my book are the guys at Google. "Do no evil," my ***.
    Its all really opinion.. I don't know any of the ceo's personally so i can't really know what they are like. I just can't stand the apple ****** "holier than thou" attitude that I get from so many people that I DO know personally.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ...

    Personally, the worst egomaniacs in my book are the guys at Google. "Do no evil," my ***.
    Whoa Whoa Whoa grrl !!! Whatch ya talkin bout my homies at Google like that ???

    What dey do to you ??

    Name me ANY big corporation that done as much as they have on behalf of the environment, for making their workplace friendly and self-fulfilling, and for what they've done to make a ton of applications and utility on computers and phones free.

    In centuries hence the ages will be known as BG and AG -- before and after Google ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Its all really opinion.. I don't know any of the ceo's personally so i can't really know what they are like. I just can't stand the apple ****** "holier than thou" attitude that I get from so many people that I DO know personally.
    Well, that's fine. But you're acknowledging that its actually the attitude of people you run into, not a CEO you've never met (nor have I).

    And I admit that many people in general suck, so I can't even disagree with a little on this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Whoa Whoa Whoa grrl !!! Whatch ya talkin bout my homies at Google like that ???

    What dey do to you ??

    Name me ANY big corporation that done as much as they have on behalf of the environment, for making their workplace friendly and self-fulfilling, and for what they've done to make a ton of applications and utility on computers and phones free.

    In centuries hence the ages will be known as BG and AG -- before and after Google ...

    They are trying to take over the world (hyperbole intended! ), by insidiously grabbing our information in order to enhance their ad revenue stream. Their privacy guarantees are some of the most convoluted and customer-unfriendly of anyone's.

    I am all for healthy capitalism but they are running amok IMO. We should be thankful there are Palm's, and Apple's and RIMs out there to keep them tethered.

    The phone, OS, products are all just shells for their real deliverable: our eyeballs.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ...

    The phone, OS, products are all just shells for their real deliverable: our eyeballs.
    true ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)

Posting Permissions