1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

Since Palm has been dragged thru this once before, thank goodness it doesn't apply this time.

Take care,

Jay

Patent holder sues smartphone makers
    By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | July 9, 2010, 8:24am PDT

Patent holder sues smartphone makers | ZDNet

A company that won a $600 million settlement from the maker of Blackberry, is turning its attention to six other players.

NTP, which back in 2006 won $612.5 million from Research In Motion, has now filed suit against Apple, Google, Microsoft, HTC, Motorola and LG Electronics, claiming that these companies infringe the same patents.

Following the RIM settlement, NTP’s patents were re-examined by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and while many of their claims have been rejected, three of the 10 claims that RIM were found to have infringed were upheld.

The patents deal with wireless email technology, the area of expertise of NTP founder Thomas Campana.

“We hope we can resolve these cases without having to go to trial,” said NTP president (and lawyer) Don Stout.

NTP has licensed technology to Visto, Nokia, Good Technology and RIM. The company also has an ongoing lawsuits against AT&T, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm glad to see Palm/HP didn't make the list! Wouldn't it be cool if HP now has the patents to sue NTP for all that money they are getting from everyone else based on the Palm acquisition?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

I agree with you!

I would have thought this would have died out with this firm, long ago.

The patents it owns are old, as far as technology goes, they are ancient history. As the article points out, I would have thought, they all would have had work arounds by now.

Palm settled with them long, long ago. So did Rim, but I was surprised that Rim was foolish enough, to even get close to using any of NTP's patents again.

NTP never made a product, it was formed to protect these patents, if I am not mistaken, the formation of the corp. was a tax dodge for the heirs to these patents.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group