Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Imagine if it was actually in stock,( my local best buy still has a waiting list over 50 people) it would have sold double. Very good news for us who use Sprint. Its good for Sprint to have one of the best selling phones.

Sprint Nextel dials up 4G in executive bonuses - Kansas City Business Journal

Sprint Nextel Corp. has tweaked the targets for its executives to collect short-term bonuses, placing more emphasis on attracting 4G customers.
    In a Thursday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Sprint said its board had updated the guidelines for short-term incentives, covering the second half of 2010. Top executives will be graded on those guidelines, with 20 percent of the score now based on the number of customers signed up for fourth-generation wireless Internet service, which is provided through Sprintís partner, Clearwire Corp. (Nasdaq: CLWR). It made up 10 percent of the score in the first half of the year.
    Twenty percent still is based on reducing the number of annual contract customers dropping service, also called churn; net service revenue was reduced from 45 percent of the score in the first half of the year to 40 percent in the second; and adjusted operating income was reduced from 25 percent to 20 percent.
    Sprint sees the 4G service, which uses WiMAX technology and is available in 36 markets under Sprintís brand, as a key way for it to gain customers because competing wireless carriers have yet to begin selling fourth-generation service. Sprint is majority owner of Clearwire, which is based in Kirkland, Wash.
    Walter Piecyk with BTIG Research said in a blog posting that the changes should benefit Clearwire, which is rolling out the 4G network to cover 120 million people by the end of the year.
    He also said that Sprintís incentive goals have proved helpful in the past to improving the companyís performance in such areas as customer service and churn.
    In addition, Piecyk estimated that Sprint sold as many as 450,000 HTC EVO 4G phones ó the first device to use Sprintís 4G network ó in the second quarter, which ended last month.
    Ive been with Sprint a long time and have seen them beaten down by everyone who was brainwashed by verizon. I want to think Sprint is due for some good times after all these years of death and gloom people thought of there network.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  3.    #3  
    Sprint needed a winining phone before the Iphone 4 was released and they got it. and with the Epic coming at the end of the summer they might have a second winner. I was watching WPIX news in NY Friday and they had a report on the best 2 selling smartphones in the US , the Iphone and Evo and considered the EVO to be the hottest phone today and as good as the Iphone and they also showed a Verizons Droid X which they looks sweet. Good press like that is important to Sprint. The EVO really has put Sprint back on the Map.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Good find, Vacc! Glad to see Sprint doing well! I was in my local Sprint store yesterday playing with the Evo. Not looking to switch but I went to visit two friends who work there and they made me play around with the floor model. I must say, it's a GREAT phone and deserves to sell as well as it has.
    too bad 4g is required -- even where its unavailable, or even if you don't want it -- the $10 surcharge nonetheless is always charged
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6.    #6  
    Thats a real contention with Sprint. the $10 charge unfortunaltly its notgoing to change. But Sprint will have 4G in alot more markets by years end. Theres already test signals in NY etc. But I understand the issue with the $10 charge. I also dont get 4G but I have to pay the $10. But honestly Sprints plans are so cheap they still are less money then other carriers. And Sprint does deserve the right to make a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Thats a real contention with Sprint. the $10 charge unfortunaltly its notgoing to change. But Sprint will have 4G in alot more markets by years end. Theres already test signals in NY etc. But I understand the issue with the $10 charge. I also dont get 4G but I have to pay the $10. But honestly Sprints plans are so cheap they still are less money then other carriers. And Sprint does deserve the right to make a profit.
    I don't mind them being profitable -- I just want them to be more rational

I also want to be able to upgrade my phone while keeping my $30/mo SERO plan -- even buying an unsubsidized Pre on my own is not permitted
  8.    #8  
    Now that stinks.

And sometimes I dont think sprint knows that they are exactly charging the $10 for. FIrst it was for 4G then it was to subsidize the 4g impementation then it was for true unlimited data. Supposedly there is no cap on 4g data like there is with 3G but I am not even positive on that.
    Now that stinks.

And sometimes I dont think sprint knows that they are exactly charging the $10 for. FIrst it was for 4G then it was to subsidize the 4g impementation then it was for true unlimited data. Supposedly there is no cap on 4g data like there is with 3G but I am not even positive on that.
    they are I think, leveraging the popularity of the evo to extract another $10/mo from you

I've heard that many are not happy w/4g even if their area "has" it -- battery issues etc
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I don't mind them being profitable -- I just want them to be more rational

I also want to be able to upgrade my phone while keeping my $30/mo SERO plan -- even buying an unsubsidized Pre on my own is not permitted
    Being rational, I wonder if they actually make money or loose money with the SERO plan. It's kind of too cheap to be true. If they do make money out of it, this begs the question, how big a money maker are Verizon & AT&T's $100+ plans?

Back on topic, I do think that if Sprint offered to withdraw the $10 additional charge and lock the Wimax radio in exchange, some people here would be happier.

That doesn't matter to me now since I'd never get an EVO, but I do hope that option is available if the next Palm phone is 4G. Or, I'd be just as happy if Palm offered a non-4G version on Sprint. I'd be most happy if Palm didn't put in a Wimax radio, but threw in a GSM/WCDMA module in it's place to make it a world phone (it would be so sweet if I could plug in any prepaid SIM card of any country I travel to)
  11.    #11  
    I am going to be in washington soon and cant wait to try 4G BUT yeah batterys are not even good enough for 3G let alone 4G. 4G will kill your phones battery in a matter of a few hours. For now 4G on all phones is meant to be used manually when your doing a video chat or watching YouTube. things that you would notice the differene in speed. There no need to use 4G for calls, text,Email or Internet browsing as its pretty fast on the EVO do to the processor speed. but Youtube and streaming media isnt as good.

they are I think, leveraging the popularity of the evo to extract another $10/mo from you

I've heard that many are not happy w/4g even if their area "has" it -- battery issues etc
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Being rational, I wonder if they actually make money or loose money with the SERO plan. It's kind of too cheap to be true. If they do make money out of it, this begs the question, how big a money maker are Verizon & AT&T's $100+ plans?
    no I'm sure they'd like all the $30/mo SERO users to convert to pricier plans

But Cricket and some others are offering similar packages for approx the same price

I've been wondering if its possible to take a clean esn off a centro and put it onto an ebay Pre ($60) -- just to keep my SERO plan
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    too bad 4g is required -- even where its unavailable, or even if you don't want it -- the $10 surcharge nonetheless is always charged
    The surcharge is what kept me from upgrading and made me decide to just ride out my sprint contract with the pre. Even if 4G was available in my area, I simply don't need it. I get that it's faster, but I have NEVER felt data speeds were aif issue. if I'm only using it on a phone then I'd prefer 3G and saving $240/2yr.

So I'm going to let this gen ride out. By next year we'll hopefully see WinMo7 devices, iPhone on multiple carriers, the HP Pre device and 30 more androids so it'll be easier to make a decision that results in a device that doesn't feel outdated too quick.
    Let me get this straight. 450,000 in about a month. Assuming these numbers are true, that is highly successful compared to what? This device is supposed to be the Sprint rival to the iPhone. In what universe would these numbers be successful for an iPhone launch? Someone made the comment that it would have sold more if they had more to sell. Perhaps, but that is ten times true for the iPhone. Again, how are we defining success? What is the comparison? Other Android devices? Sprint sales? Success as defined five years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me get this straight. 450,000 in about a month. Assuming these numbers are true, that is highly successful compared to what? This device is supposed to be the Sprint rival to the iPhone. In what universe would these numbers be successful for an iPhone launch? Someone made the comment that it would have sold more if they had more to sell. Perhaps, but that is ten times true for the iPhone. Again, how are we defining success? What is the comparison? Other Android devices? Sprint sales? Success as defined five years ago?
    Pre sold ~150,000
    Sprint is much smaller than ATT.
    Broke sprints sale record (prev record pre)
    I'd say it's off to a good start.

I believe that's near droid 1st month numbers too. (74 days droid did 1 million)

"A full 250,000 people snatched up Droids during the phone's first week in stores, some newly released data suggests. That's four times the number of launch-week sales estimated for the myTouch 3G"
    Last edited by IcerC; 07/10/2010 at 01:50 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16.    #16  
    The comparison is to most other phone launches.200K is considered good. 450K is considered incredible unless its an Iphone where if it sells less then a million in the first months its not a success. Its all relative to what the comparisons are. But in just talking about the EVO its Sprints best selling phone ever by a mile (good chance the EVO sells over a million by the end of the summer if they ever get them in stock) and probally only the Droid and Iphone had done better in its first month. Thats success at its best. Its just not ridiculous success that the iphone does. You know how I determine a popular phone , its seeing them everywhere. I see Iphones every time I go out, The last year I see Droids left and right and The last month I have seen so many EVO's that I knew it would be popular. I go out to eat and there someon with an EVO. Pretty cool to see your phone out in the wild as they say.
    The comparison is to most other phone launches.200K is considered good. 450K is considered incredible unless its an Iphone where if it sells less then a million in the first months its not a success.
    Well, that seems rather arbitrary. It is success only if it is not an iPhone. My, how times have changed. I have a slightly different interpretation. Five years ago, your assessment of 200,000 would have made perfect sense. But something happened between then and now. Consumers were introduced to a whole new paradigm. Consumer expectation is much higher, now. Companies like MS can't just vomit up something like the Kin anymore and expect people to accept it. There is a new sheriff in town, and his badge is shaped like an Apple.

200,000 is no longer a success. It is not even worth mentioning if it takes a month to get there. Heck, it isn't even worth mentioning for first-day sales. What you call ridiculous success is quickly becoming the new definition of success. If you want to take the iPhone out of the equation, then you are not dealing with a product that competes in the same arena. Now, you're just talking about the minor league. So, sure, compared to a Pre, the Evo was an unqualified success. That, however, is not how consumers and investors think. That is how brand loyalists think.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Well, that seems rather arbitrary. It is success only if it is not an iPhone. My, how times have changed. I have a slightly different interpretation. Five years ago, your assessment of 200,000 would have made perfect sense. But something happened between then and now. Consumers were introduced to a whole new paradigm. Consumer expectation is much higher, now. Companies like MS can't just vomit up something like the Kin anymore and expect people to accept it. There is a new sheriff in town, and his badge is shaped like an Apple.
    Dead on correct....

iPhone sold 1.7 million iPhone 4's on three days...

Taking Droid 74 days is shameful, same for Nexus One
    Decided to get one -- my first non-Palm phone. But can't find one anywhere. Sprint won't even put my name on a list. When you call, the recording says "If you want an Evo hang up."
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Dead on correct....

iPhone sold 1.7 million iPhone 4's on three days...

Taking Droid 74 days is shameful, same for Nexus One

Once a year Apple releases a new iPhone. They sell a bunch.

Every few weeks an Android phone pops out. Some are more successful than others.

Collectively the Android tribe may already be selling more Androids than Apple is selling iPhones.

The significance of this might not be understood by Apple apologists (Appologists), but Steve gets it, and it keeps him awake some nights.

Its why more carriers that accept Jobs' draconian terms will be allowed to sell iPhones in the not too distant future. Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile might all get it if they prostrate themselves properly before the great Jobs.

You can't dictate standards if you don't control the standard platform.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast