Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Dandbj is all about sales figures...must be a huge fan of twilight and lady gaga. Ew
    No need to get nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    les.
    My question still stands. What is the measure by which 450,000 units in the first month is considered a success? After reading this post, I think I can extrapolate an answer. My guess is that it is a success based on Sprint's previous sales history. I suppose that's interesting, but only to a narrow niche. I am guessing that those numbers would be considered an out of control success compared to the Pre. Fine, but that doesn't really get you front page coverage either. Is it successful compared to the Droid? I don't know. That may be worth crowing about. But the headlines have been about the EVO somehow taking the crown from the iPhone. This is where the problem arises. Stop pretending that this stuff is iPhone competition and just admit that it is second or third tier phone competition.
    It is competition. The evo, the droid, even the aria.
    Alone each phone fills in for good touchscreen smartphone and together as a whole android creates strong iphone competition.

For a smaller carrier and the first 4g phone evo's doing great.

HTC knows it's business model. They build many different phones almost monthly it seems they have new model for another carrier. They aren't going to do what apple does. Palm tried that. Even Google kinda tried that with the nexusone.

Windows7phone and Palm's next devices will see if the apple single superphone style works as well for anyone else.

For an android phone and/or sprint phone, the EVO was a SUCCESS.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    all true -- except their profit has likely been more than consumed by the Billion dollars peed away on the RROD repair/replacement debacle

Incredible how M$ can throw away $600 million on Danger, millions on Bing, a Biillion on Xbox -- yet still be immensely profitable
    Well they brought that one on themselves. But the fact still remains that Xbox is successful in terms of sales, usage and popularity; despite their bad design. Bing is also going places, it's not really that bad. Getting Samsung on board for their Android search was a good move.

Danger is done though IMO. They took a good thing and blew it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    For an android phone and/or sprint phone, the EVO was a SUCCESS.
    Those are the qualifiers that matter. I can agree with the above statement wholeheartedly... I think. Does anyone know how the droid did?
    November: ~700,0000-800,000
    Droid Nears Its Million-Device Target

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Your right, no one can compare the Iphone to the Evo because the Iphone is a world phone and the Evo is sold only in the states on Sprint but its its selling really well.
    This could explain the difference in sales. But not sure we'll ever know how many iPhone 4s sold in the US in the first 3 days or first month.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    November: ~700,0000-800,000
    Droid Nears Its Million-Device Target
    Thanks for the link. I read it, and was inspired to look up and read a few more. What I am left with is the fact that no one is even close to competing with the iPhone. Second place is very distant. It is like saying the Zune is second to the iPod. It is a bit surprising. With all the iPhone killing going on in the press, you would think that at least one phone would be approaching iPhone numbers. It's not even close. There really are two separate games being played: the iPhone vs itself, and everyone else vs. each other. In that light, the EVO is indeed doing very well.

On a different note, what will be used as a measuring stick for Palm's success? EVO? Droid X? BB6? WP7? Symbian? Who will Palm compete against? (Please don't say the iPhone.) How many will they have to sell to be considered successful? What metric will you be using?
  8.    #48  
    Just getting a phone out will be a success. Been so long.
    But in terms of sales figures. Its hard to say. Considering the WEB OS market has dropped to just 4% and going down 1% every month or two it will need to have atleast Pre like numbers ( 150K in the first month) to EVO numbers ( 450K in a month). It does not have to hit a homerun out of the park BUT it also has to do Pre to Evo like numbers to keep itself relevant . It cant have KIN like sales numbers. that would be the end of webos on smartphones for a bit BUT WEBOS will survive on tablets and Printers etc.
  9.    #49  
    In sales figures no phone comes close to the Iphone BUT in features alot of phones are as good ( evo , Droid , droid X etc) or better. Iphone is the biggest most successfull phone but its not the best by a long shot. But its more popular then any phone in history and will remain that for years.

Thanks for the link. I read it, and was inspired to look up and read a few more. What I am left with is the fact that no one is even close to competing with the iPhone. Second place is very distant. It is like saying the Zune is second to the iPod. It is a bit surprising. With all the iPhone killing going on in the press, you would think that at least one phone would be approaching iPhone numbers. It's not even close. There really are two separate games being played: the iPhone vs itself, and everyone else vs. each other. In that light, the EVO is indeed doing very well.

On a different note, what will be used as a measuring stick for Palm's success? EVO? Droid X? BB6? WP7? Symbian? Who will Palm compete against? (Please don't say the iPhone.) How many will they have to sell to be considered successful? What metric will you be using?
    Both the Droid and Evo are also each on one US network. Obviously neither of those will come close to worldwide GSM iPhone.

Nokia and Samsung would actually be in better position to come close, if they ever released the right phone.

HTC could also come close, but I'm not sure about with just one phone. I see it more as their collection of Android phones all together that could come close to iPhone sales. They're saturating the market with their phones and even if one HTC phone can't do it, the manufacturer could still come out ahead since they produced all those phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Just getting a phone out will be a success. Been so long.
    But in terms of sales figures. Its hard to say. Considering the WEB OS market has dropped to just 4% and going down 1% every month or two it will need to have atleast Pre like numbers ( 150K in the first month) to EVO numbers ( 450K in a month). It does not have to hit a homerun out of the park BUT it also has to do Pre to Evo like numbers to keep itself relevant . It cant have KIN like sales numbers. that would be the end of webos on smartphones for a bit BUT WEBOS will survive on tablets and Printers etc.
    considering the existing competition, and the products that will be on the market whenever a new Pre2 webOS phone gets released -- what features must it have to annihilate or at least make a serious impression ??

It already has a great OS -- the Pre's basic features were quite good. It had major reliability and other deficiencies -- but it was very credible phone especially when it was first released.

What it never got was Apps or big time buzz.

Is there any feature that a Pre2 can include that will let it stand out in a world divided by 2 super powers ?? If even one of its features would be the ability to grant 3 wishes -- even if one of those wishes is for an iPhone4, would it be enough ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12.    #52  
    Thats the thing I try to explain and get killed for. The nbest webos phone is facing a huge HUGE uphill battle to be relevant. A phone OS that is losing market share on a huge level ( WEBOS is down to 4% as of may31 2010) and the nest quarters numbers will take into account the June 1 year upgrades numbers where a whole lot of folks left webos for Android or Iphone or another phone. the numbers for Sep 2010 could be less then 2%. ( and the Iphones numbers will include the millions sold in June)somehow the next Pre will need something to distiguish it from the Androids and Iphones. What I dont know.
    I'll say it again. Marketing 101 is where Palm failed. The Pre2 needs solid hardware, but it also needs proper marketing.

Android wasn't exactly complete either. Bluetooth functionality added in 2.1, and 2.2 allowing apps to be loaded onto the card are examples. But what Android did have was marketing and carrier support to gain momentum. And it still has that.

Palm bombed at getting it's point across. webOS didn't fall short because of lack of features exactly, but the fact that not enough people were excited enough to get interested and buy. People bought the 1st bare bones iPhone(no apps but iTunes store and YouTube) and Android(G1) so we know people will buy if they see a future. Palm just didn't do this right. Verizon didn't do it right for them either(mom's phone?? yeah that'll make people buy). Amazingly AT&T has put out the best ads, but it's AT&T so...

All they need is to get a decent foothold. They don't need to claim to topple RIM, iPhone or Android. They just need to get enough people from all OS to defect, and also get dumbphone users. They failed the first time. Will they succeed the 2nd time?

It was just 5-6 years ago when no one was "even close to competing" with the Motorola Razr, a 50+ million selling dumbphone. Shortly thereafter, no one was "even close to competing" with Blackberry for the smartphone crown.

These are transitory achievements in an industry that only moves faster with each passing year. As inconceivable as it seems that some device will sell as well as the iPhone or some OS will get a comparable app catalog or whatever have you, it will happen and sooner than you think.

...And then that device or OS will get surpassed too. This only makes me happy because we all benefit as consumers. I wish the best to Apple and all of their competitors.
  15.    #55  
    Agree it needs solid hardware , Top notch features AND marketing on a scale never seen before to become a success. Its not completly out of the question but an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'll say it again. Marketing 101 is where Palm failed. The Pre2 needs solid hardware, but it also needs proper marketing.

Android wasn't exactly complete either. Bluetooth functionality added in 2.1, and 2.2 allowing apps to be loaded onto the card are examples. But what Android did have was marketing and carrier support to gain momentum. And it still has that.

Palm bombed at getting it's point across. webOS didn't fall short because of lack of features exactly, but the fact that not enough people were excited enough to get interested and buy. People bought the 1st bare bones iPhone(no apps but iTunes store and YouTube) and Android(G1) so we know people will buy if they see a future. Palm just didn't do this right. Verizon didn't do it right for them either(mom's phone?? yeah that'll make people buy). Amazingly AT&T has put out the best ads, but it's AT&T so...

All they need is to get a decent foothold. They don't need to claim to topple RIM, iPhone or Android. They just need to get enough people from all OS to defect, and also get dumbphone users. They failed the first time. Will they succeed the 2nd time?
    The numbers are important to the phone manufacturers, but I have not seen many numbers on the numbers of new contracts for the iPhone or the EVO. I would guess most of the iPhone sales (to portion from AT+T) are contract extensions and not "New" AT+T Customers. The EVO sales are hopefully pulling new customers to Sprint, this would be great news for Sprint.

PJ
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Does it really matter? None of us here get a cut of any of these companies profits. Maybe you care if have stock in these companies but other than that, meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    Does it really matter? None of us here get a cut of any of these companies profits. Maybe you care if have stock in these companies but other than that, meh.
    Are you kidding? Of course it matters. In the end, after all the pundits have had their say and the loyalist evangelized and the apologists have apologized, the only thing that matter is how many people want the phone. It is a little like bragging about your favorite athlete who has great stats except for the fact that he never scores and never wins. Of course it matters.

The mobile phone market will not accommodate an unlimited number of players, (cough, Kin, cough). YES, SALES MATTERS! Eventually, even a large company will stop throwing money at a losing proposition. At some point, your horse has to actually WIN!

Short term, the Palm offering has to get into the top five platforms just to make the playoffs. Long term, I don't believe there will be more than two, three at the most, just like in the PC market. And make no mistake about it; smartphones and PCs are going to meet somewhere in the middle. There will always be an Apple in the race. There will also be a geek champion. It looks like Google is way out in front for that title. There may be room for some kind of low-end crossover group, but I'm not so sure I would bet much on that category in the smartphone arena.

Palm will never out Apple Apple. It is doubtful if they can out Google Google. Realistically, they are fighting for that mythical third position. Rim, Nokia, and MS will not go down easily, though Rim has nothing to offer in this brave new world, Nokia has never been more lost, and MS can't seem to get their head out of their... Anyway, that is where the battle lies. Sales will determine the winner, not clever posts on enthusiast sites.
    RIM has nothing to offer?? BB 6.0 will make a lot of BB users happy and may make them more likely to stay with the platform instead of jumping. Also those who have to use BB won't be so unhappy.

BlackBerry OS 6.0 screenshots and details leak out -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    RIM has nothing to offer?? BB 6.0 will make a lot of BB users happy and may make them more likely to stay with the platform instead of jumping. Also those who have to use BB won't be so unhappy.

BlackBerry OS 6.0 screenshots and details leak out -- Engadget
    Still looks like an OS from 1999. This time it has a better browser.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast