Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Once a year Apple releases a new iPhone. They sell a bunch.

Every few weeks an Android phone pops out...
    Do you know how hilariously close that is to "poops" out?

Collectively the Android tribe may already be selling more Androids than Apple is selling iPhones.
    Nice try; no dice! The thread is about the Evo, one phone, not a platform. If you want to play that game, then you take on the whole iOS platform which includes the iPad and iPod touch. Android still loses by miles. It is absurd to talk about all Android phones on all the carriers in the whole world vs. the iPhone 4. Which Android phone in particular would you like to compare? How are those sales figures looking now?
  2.    #22  
    The EVO and Verizon Droid are successes . they are both going to sell more then a million phones ( the Droid ofcourse already did) . But the IPHONE is a super , extraordinary , beyond successfull success.

Good analogy.

A TV show say "LOST" and "Modern Family" are a success and does around 9 million viewers for LOST and 14 Million for Modern Family every week BUT American Idol is a super success and has viewership of 24 Million a week.
    You would call Modern Family a very big success and is winning its time slot (Think best selling sprint phone) and has numbers every other show would love ( Think phone sales) BUT its still not the bohemoth that American Idol is ( Think Iphone).

There are three very succesful phones right now . EVO , Droid and Iphone . but one of them is just more succesfull then the two.

Lets put it this way , just about any phone would love to have the EVO or Droids numbers. We would all be in heaven if the next webos phone did 1/2 of what the EVO did.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/10/2010 at 05:07 PM.
  3.    #23  
    If you considered platforms well heres some news. Google activates 160,000 android phones per day , yup thats per day.

Google’s Android: 160,000 Devices a Day - Digits - WSJ

One of the most surprising bits of news to emerge from the Motorola Droid X launch was the announcement that 160,000 new devices running on Google’s Android software are going into service every day.

That figure, revealed by Google executive Andy Rubin, is up from the 100,000 activations a day Google claimed in mid-May and well beyond the 97,222 iPhones Apple sold on average every day in the first quarter.

In a post on the Google blog, Mr. Rubin wrote that there are currently 60 Android devices available today delivered by 21 manufacturers and 59 wireless carriers across 49 countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Lets put it this way , just about any phone would love to have the EVO or Droids numbers. We would all be in heaven if the next webos phone did 1/2 of what the EVO did.
    That was a good post and the best explanation so far, but I still think it misses the bigger point. If the next Palm phone is aiming for half the Evo numbers, then it is aiming too low. This is a different era in smartphones, and customer expectations, and sales. Apple expanded the smartphone market to consumers, taking it out of the realm of business only. The consumer market is absolutely huge. Sales in the tens of thousands is no longer enough in this brave new world.

My own **** numbers go something like this: Success starts a over a million in the first month. In fact, I would call that table stakes. Less than that, and the product is more like a failure in the big-boy arena. Expectations are different in the majors than in the minors. If you declare those lower numbers a success, which is your right, then you are acknowledging that the product does not really compete with something like the iPhone, and the evangelists ought to quit pretending. If you want to measure success against the pack leader, then 450,000 in a month is a joke. You can't have it both ways.
    Is HTC losing money or gaining profit on the Evo? Even if it doesn't sell one million a week, all that matters in the end is that there's enough sells so there's good profit and a possible Evo 2. If there's waiting lists and stock keeps getting sold out, the product is a success. It doesn't have to blow iPhone out of the water to be a success.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ... Google activates 160,000 android phones per day ... 60 Android devices available today delivered by 21 manufacturers and 59 wireless carriers across 49 countries.
    Wow.

Fanboiis talk phones -- M$ Apple Google -- they obsess about platforms, standards, control. (for Jobs control is Job 1).

Include iPads, iTouch, iMice, and iDiapers in the platform sum -- the bottom line, based on the current glide slope, is that Android becomes the Windows-like standard for mobile.

That's why iphones are likely to be much more widely carried soon.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Google activates 160,000 android phones per day , yup thats per day.

Google’s Android: 160,000 Devices a Day - Digits - WSJ
    That figure, revealed by Google executive Andy Rubin, is up from the 100,000 activations a day Google claimed in mid-May and well beyond the 97,222 iPhones Apple sold on average every day in the first quarter.

In a post on the Google blog, Mr. Rubin wrote that there are currently 60 Android devices available today delivered by 21 manufacturers and 59 wireless carriers across 49 countries.
    Right. 160,000 activations shared by 60 devices. Which one of those would you like to put up against the iPhone? By the way, those iPhone numbers were at the end of the product cycle. Oh, let's make it sporting. Which ten would you like to put up against the iPhone?
  8.    #28  
    AHHH I was just using half the sales of the EVO as an example. the Pre User here will be all over me like White on Rice. The next HP Webos device will have goals as high as the iphone . I was just saying the numbers would be terriffic if they were even half the EVO's numers. For all I know it can outsell the Evo.

And I understand everyone has a definition of success but only one phone does that ( your numbers) so the only successful phone under your definition is the Iphone and so be it . your entilted to your own definition of success . but Again (anaolgy time !) Mike Jacksons Thriller has sold 110 Million albums . the only record to sell more then 100 Million. Back in Black by ACDC has sold 49 Million ( and is the 2nd best selling album ever). Is Back in Black not a success becasue it did not sell 100 Million ( 1 million sales in a month). There are different degrees of success.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That was a good post and the best explanation so far, but I still think it misses the bigger point. If the next Palm phone is aiming for half the Evo numbers, then it is aiming too low. This is a different era in smartphones, and customer expectations, and sales. Apple expanded the smartphone market to consumers, taking it out of the realm of business only. The consumer market is absolutely huge. Sales in the tens of thousands is no longer enough in this brave new world.

My own **** numbers go something like this: Success starts a over a million in the first month. In fact, I would call that table stakes. Less than that, and the product is more like a failure in the big-boy arena. Expectations are different in the majors than in the minors. If you declare those lower numbers a success, which is your right, then you are acknowledging that the product does not really compete with something like the iPhone, and the evangelists ought to quit pretending. If you want to measure success against the pack leader, then 450,000 in a month is a joke. You can't have it both ways.
    Thanks, that's what I was trying to say!!

You don't need to keep comparing a product to an overwhelming favorite to such a degree that you lose sight of the fact that if they sell enough and still make very good profit, they're a success.

Now for a failure, see the Kin thread, lol!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And I understand everyone has a definition of success but only one phone does that ( your numbers) so the only successful phone under your definition is the Iphone and so be it . your entilted to your own definition of success.
    Again, your argument is not bad, just incomplete. I will gladly concede that the EVO has had a successful launch. But in conceding that, it must be agreed that the EVO is not in the same league as the iPhone. If people insist on comparing the EVO to the iPhone, then the EVO's launch is a failure. Which shall it be?
  11.    #31  
    anyone who trys to compare evo to an iphone in terms of sales is crazy. The evo cant compare to the iphone in that respect. Ofcourse you can compare features and apps but thats subjective.
    As of right now there is no iphone killer in terms of sales. No phone can match the iphone in terms of sales. Amazing is the iphone yoda would say.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I believe that when ppl compare any phone to the iphone, they are talking spec for spec comparison. NOBODY in their right mind would say that any phone will outsell the iphone, so you are correct there. However, to say that any phone that doesn't sell as well as the iphone is a failure is crazy. I won't get into the debate about what phone is best BUT just because a phone sells the most units doesn't mean it's the best. It means it has the most loyal fan base. Ex: Just because Nelly sells more albums than Mos Def it doesn't mean he's a better rapper. Again, I'm not saying the iphone isn't the best, just giving an example. By your logic, you're saying that the second richest man in the world is a failure because he doesn't have as much money as the richest.
    Your right, no one can compare the Iphone to the Evo because the Iphone is a world phone and the Evo is sold only in the states on Sprint but its its selling really well.
  14.    #34  
    In terms of sales the Iphone is in a class all by itself. In terms of features. its all dependednt on the person. As Prince201 said "just because a phone sells the most units doesn't mean it's the best."Im not a M Jackson fan but love ACDC so to me Back in Black is the better album even though it sold 60 million less. I liked the Pre better then the Iphone. Its all subjective and personel.
    In sports, the word for second best is LOSER! Let's be clear and not rewrite history. All of these iPhone wannabes had the goal of unseating the iPhone as the market and mindshare leader. None of them entered the arena to be a distant second.

Does anyone remember the clown, McNamee who spoke for Palm in the early days of the Pre? His stated belief was that once all those iPhone contracts expired, few, if any, would re-up. They would all flock to the Pre. McNamee was a fool in so many ways, but he understood what success meant. You can't be an iPhone killer if you don't actually make a dent in iPhone sales.

The Xbox is a success by most accounts except for two little areas: One, the Wii still eats its lunch in sales on a daily basis. And two, I don't believe the Xbox has actually made any money for MS. Again, when evaluating those two systems, one has to ask how success is calculated.

A parent may be ever so proud of their child's performance in little league soccer. But they would be out of their mind to believe that their son is in any way competitive with the guys playing in the World Cup. It is a different league with different expectations. You have to understand success within a specific set of parameters.

My question still stands. What is the measure by which 450,000 units in the first month is considered a success? After reading this post, I think I can extrapolate an answer. My guess is that it is a success based on Sprint's previous sales history. I suppose that's interesting, but only to a narrow niche. I am guessing that those numbers would be considered an out of control success compared to the Pre. Fine, but that doesn't really get you front page coverage either. Is it successful compared to the Droid? I don't know. That may be worth crowing about. But the headlines have been about the EVO somehow taking the crown from the iPhone. This is where the problem arises. Stop pretending that this stuff is iPhone competition and just admit that it is second or third tier phone competition.
    too bad 4g is required -- even where its unavailable, or even if you don't want it -- the $10 surcharge nonetheless is always charged
    i still can't complain about the $10 charge. It doesn't only give you 4G. it gives you truly uncapped 3g and will likely be used to facilitate the expansion of 4g. Not to mention your plan will still be cheaper and more generous than any of the competitors.
    A couple of posts were deleted for inappropriate language. Please continue your lively discussion, but let's keep it civil and PG-rated. Thanks.
    You actually think MSFT hasn't made money on the Xbox??? Gold memberships, games and downloads, and overpriced accessories. Enough said.

The Wii market is now saturated and there's still not enough good games, unless you're a kid or want PG type games. Dead Space Extraction is the only adult game I've seen. Xbox 360 gets used about 45% more often than the Wii, according to one survey.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You actually think MSFT hasn't made money on the Xbox??? Gold memberships, games and downloads, and overpriced accessories. Enough said.

The Wii market is now saturated and there's still not enough good games, unless you're a kid or want PG type games. Dead Space Extraction is the only adult game I've seen. Xbox 360 gets used about 45% more often than the Wii, according to one survey.
    all true -- except their profit has likely been more than consumed by the Billion dollars peed away on the RROD repair/replacement debacle

Incredible how M$ can throw away $600 million on Danger, millions on Bing, a Biillion on Xbox -- yet still be immensely profitable
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Dandbj is all about sales figures...must be a huge fan of twilight and lady gaga. Ew
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast