Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Figures for May 2010. Android has broken double digits in users .

comScore Reports May 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Figures for May 2010. Android has broken double digits in users .

comScore Reports May 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    Pretty much as expected, next qtr will be interesting. Several new Androids, but the iPhone 4 was also a huge success.

Android will still increase share but it will likely come more at the expense of Palm and RIM than Apple.

Now if Apple gets on another carrier like the annual Verizon rumor, it will be a much different game. They would sell several million phones in a week.

Kind of sad to see Palm under 5%, the king has fallen in a huge way. Five years ago, they were near 40%. HP or not, I don't see them getting past 10% again without a serious push in hardware and software.
    So there are now 10 android users?

Maybe it's just me but I could've sworn there were 12.
    Why do people get so upset that Android is doing well? They're actually out there marketing all over, while Palm and HP still sit on their hands. What did you expect?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    And these figures do not take into account the huge amount of people who left after the june 1 1 year commitment was over and all the people who left for the EVO and Iphone 4. The numbers for the next quarter might be below 2%. ( it has gone down every qyuarter by more then 1 % from 8 at its hight to 4 now) This is why HP needs to release something quick. I mean even Windows mobile is hurting and most people say finnished but its still at a respectable 15%. (but losing) there still customers to try to keep. HP will have to try to convert people as the WEBOS user base has dried up. Im an optimist at heart but these figures dont leave alot of hope.
  6.    #6  
    Hey I was wondering who the other webos user was other then me. Nice to finally find ya.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    So there are now 10 android users?

Maybe it's just me but I could've sworn there were 12.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I just don't get Window Phone 7. What is the advantage to using it over Android, iPhone, or WebOS? Only thing I can think of is Xbox live integration. Besides that, it looks completely uninteresting.
    The next time admob reports marketshare, will webos users be labeled in the charts as hp, palm, or webos??? Just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why do people get so upset that Android is doing well? They're actually out there marketing all over, while Palm and HP still sit on their hands. What did you expect?
    I wish you were wrong. You're not wrong, but I wish you were. Palm did a horrible job of marketing WebOS, and I have yet to see a single new ad since HP bought them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I just don't get Window Phone 7. What is the advantage to using it over Android, iPhone, or WebOS? Only thing I can think of is Xbox live integration. Besides that, it looks completely uninteresting.
    You could say the same thing about iphone compared to other smartphones, yet it's the second most popular platform in the country, and may actually be #1 if you don't count all of the blackberrys that are bought and paid for by businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    1. XDA Developers is still around. Custom ROMs? Assuming they didn't move all their efforts into Android, that is.

2. It's smart for MSFT to tie products together. It keeps people in the circle. Assuming there's not another Kin-like fiasco, they could even do it right this time and get young people interested again. Since they also integrated this with the Zune and Xbox.

3. Advantage over webOS, new hardware released in 2010. webOS is becoming the "who?" OS, I'm sorry to say.

Of course, it could fall flat on it's face if they screw up again.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I wish you were wrong. You're not wrong, but I wish you were. Palm did a horrible job of marketing WebOS, and I have yet to see a single new ad since HP bought them out.

You could say the same thing about iphone compared to other smartphones, yet it's the second most popular platform in the country, and may actually be #1 if you don't count all of the blackberrys that are bought and paid for by businesses.
    There are current ads, but it's AT&T posting that the Pixi is free, yikes! I did hear a few radio ads for the Pre though(also AT&T). The problem, radio listeners have declined. And it's all AT&T. I have not seen a Verizon ad in quite some time. So basically only AT&T is supporting the Pre/Pixi on a somewhat wide scale now. That's surreal, lol.

13.    #13  
    Microsoft refuses to give up. Hey you got to say something about there refusal to give in . And as I said the advantage they have is that they still have a 15% share ( as many users as Android as of now but its going down by the Month) and have a base to work from and thats has to give them hope. They can still save the OS and hold a niche ( 10-12%) the only OS that base has disapeared is webos. WebOS would have to double to triple there user base to even be half of Microsoft.
    I think Android is doing a great job advertising. I see three 'Droid Does' commercials for every 2hrs of TV watching.
    On my way traveling to a project yesterday, I saw a four story building with the whole wall facing the Freeway painted with a big 'Droid Does' ball.
    It was huge. Like 3 billboard signs tall and 2 wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    And these figures do not take into account the huge amount of people who left after the june 1 1 year commitment was over and all the people who left for the EVO and Iphone 4. The numbers for the next quarter might be below 2%. ( it has gone down every qyuarter by more then 1 % from 8 at its hight to 4 now) This is why HP needs to release something quick. I mean even Windows mobile is hurting and most people say finnished but its still at a respectable 15%. (but losing) there still customers to try to keep. HP will have to try to convert people as the WEBOS user base has dried up. Im an optimist at heart but these figures dont leave alot of hope.
    I doubt it. Even though most can, the number of people who jump to a new phone after a year into their contract is probably small. Not everyone is ready to drop $200 every year for a new toy.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I wish you were wrong. You're not wrong, but I wish you were. Palm did a horrible job of marketing WebOS, and I have yet to see a single new ad since HP bought them out...

if you're HP what are you advertising right now ??

The Pre ?? I'm guessing they've already written off the already manufactured inventory

AT&T needs to move what they already possess -- that's why they're hawking them for free.

HP needs to determine what its strategic use will be for webos going forward -- and if they are intending to invest in cell phone hardware -- before they pour millions into promotion.

Pre fans (and I want to be one) had best hope that Palm had some great hardware already designed and near ready for production if their beloved OS is still going to be viable in smartphones...
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/10/2010 at 05:09 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I think Android is doing a great job advertising. I see three 'Droid Does' commercials for every 2hrs of TV watching.
    On my way traveling to a project yesterday, I saw a four story building with the whole wall facing the Freeway painted with a big 'Droid Does' ball.
    It was huge. Like 3 billboard signs tall and 2 wide.
    I think I saw a Droid billboard around here too. Also at a bus stop. There are ads in the waiting "booth", for lack of a better word at this time. But Chicagoans should know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    if you're HP what are you advertising right now ??

The Pre ?? I'm guessing they've already written the already manufactured inventory

AT&T needs to move what they already possess -- that's why they're hawking them for free.

HP needs to determine what its strategic use will be for webos going forward -- and if they are intending to invest in cell phone hardware -- before they pour millions into promotion.

Pre fans (and I want to be one) had best hope that Palm had some great hardware already designed and near ready for production if their beloved OS is still going to be viable in smartphones...

I got a mailing to buy the Pre and the Pixi from HP because I have some of their other products and am on the mailing list. Their no-contract price is higher than AT&T's no-contract price. Nice going HP.

Oh yes, HP is advertising... HP products. Except for that one mailing.

The thing is they can start promoting WebOS.
    The don't have to show the device. A lot of the 'Droid Does' advertisement doesn't show the device. It's just some big spinning 'Droid Does' ball with sound effects.
    I believe the non-technical crowd reacts to hardware first. Hp/Palm will have to put out a competitive product on which to show off webOS. They also need an eye catching slogan to go with it and of course, pour millions into it. I think they can get the ball rolling with good planning. But it can't be half-as*ed. Hp has to be serious about it. Just my 2 cents.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast