Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I'm contemplating a switch from the Pre to the EVO, maybe those of you who have done it can help me out. I'm currently running both a Pre and an iPod touch in order to do the things I need, and the last straw is the horrible bluetooth audio quality when pairing to the blackberry media gateway in my car using my pre. I put a patch request in to see if we could fix the issue since I read a thread where someone nailed down what is causing the bad audio, but it seems no devs are willing to look into it.

    I LOVE webOS and do not want to switch. These are the things I love and what I'm worried about finding a way to live without on the EVO:

    Synergy - Unified contacts? Facebook friends in my contacts list? All my calendars showing on one calendar? Unified inbox? Is any of this possible or not a big deal on the EVO/android?

    Universal search - I love on the pre that I can just start typing someones name or phone number and call/txt/email them. I NEVER open my phone or contact apps. Is there anything similar on the evo?

    What I HATE about my pre that I am hoping will be solved with the EVO: (If there is a way to fix this on my Pre PLEASE let me know)

    No good remote desktop app (LogMeIn, RDP, etc.) I am currently using Teamviewer on my iPod touch tethered to my Pre. I have heard there are good remote desktop apps for android.

    HORRIBLE bluetooth audio quality - sounds like crunching paper while I listen to any audio source over real speakers. Others have noted this is b/c of a limited bluetooth bandwidth and how much the pre compresses it for this limitation to conserve CPU power and ultimately battery life.

    Cannot listen to voicemails from my work phone. They are WAV files not encoded with GSM, so that patch did not work. iPod/iPhone plays them fine.

    No ActiveDirectory app on the Pre

    No Nagios app on the Pre

    No "today screen" or widgets on the Pre

    Cannot customize my lockscreen on the pre to display calendar information like I could with S2U2 on my WinMo device.


    I don't think there is a device out there that will do everything I want, but I am trying to find what will be best for me, and right now the Pre cannot do a lot of what I need, or I just don't know how to do it. What do you Evo/Pre swappers think?
  2. #2  
    It sounds like you know what the Pre is capable and not capable of doing. You would probably get a better idea of what the evo could do for you at an android forum. Just saying.
  3. #3  
    I dont use facebook but as for the rest. There is universal search , just hit the search button and type a letter. All contacts come up, apps, etc same as PRE.
    There is the logMeIn beta now to use and there official app when its out of Beta and there is a VPN APP for free I use. One of the reasons I deserted Pre was no good VPN program.

    And there is visual voicemail on the EVO which is terriffic.

    Another reason I got the EVO was the home screen customization. Today widgets, to do widgets etc. It shows mw what I have to do, Emails pending, numer of texts I have. etc. A must for me.

    I dont use them but there are a ton of lock screen apps that show different things. I tested one a few days ago. It would show Text , Emails , Voice Mails , battery , time , Date .

    Not saying the EVO is any better then any phone but it sounds like for you it is a better phone.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I dont use facebook but as for the rest. There is universal search , just hit the search button and type a letter. All contacts come up, apps, etc same as PRE.
    There is the logMeIn beta now to use and there official app when its out of Beta and there is a VPN APP for free I use. One of the reasons I deserted Pre was no good VPN program.

    And there is visual voicemail on the EVO which is terriffic.

    Another reason I got the EVO was the home screen customization. Today widgets, to do widgets etc. It shows mw what I have to do, Emails pending, numer of texts I have. etc. A must for me.

    I dont use them but there are a ton of lock screen apps that show different things. I tested one a few days ago. It would show Text , Emails , Voice Mails , battery , time , Date .

    Not saying the EVO is any better then any phone but it sounds like for you it is a better phone.
    Agreed but I can add some other gems which I love: Voicemail, for me, is perfect. One button to listen and the VM will already be downloaded to your phone. When you're done hit the RED button to delete it. No dialing in needed.

    I have found the O/S on the Evo is not nearly as intuitive as the Pre. However, there's a big caveat here; the Evo does so much more than the Pre out of the box and literally all it takes is a few seconds and you can customize, modify or confirm settings you need.

    Someone also mentioned its much more of a hassle to check wifi/4g/gps/bluetooth settings. Not so. One swipe to the second home screen and all four comm methods are right there. No more swipes/presses needed than the Pre.

    The learning curve wasn't nearly as steep as I had anticipated and as much as I liked my Pre I had to have something more robust and reliable.


    The voice search is nice: hold the bottom right touch button down until the app tells you to speak and it gets it right nearly every single time.

    We're growing more accustomed to ease of information retrieval and this phone simply takes that to the next step. I'd like to see the Pre step up and come out with a nice, large slab with a honking set of hw specs...maybe one day. I'm not beholden to this handset at all. When someone else better comes along I am bailing.

    The best option, and one that I used over a year ago when I was still with VZW was to buy a Pre, sign a contract and use it for a few days/weeks. Yes, I had two accounts going but if I am going to live with a phone for a year I need to test it completely. An in store test, no matter what anyone tells you, is NOT enough.

    Nagios??? its ok but we're using Zenoss and Zabbix as well. I'm particulary fond of Zenoss right now...just can't picture using it on a handset.
  5. #5  
    try these threads or PM the participants:

    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...t=evo+pre+back
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t=evo+pre+back
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...pre-owner.html

    Its easier than hoping they will notice your thread and repost.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  6.    #6  
    I tried that, but they have derailed to flame wars and legitimate posts are being ignored, plus they didn't cover my specific questions. This thread has provided some good info that applies to my situation however.
  7. #7  
    Try this site. It seems to talk about phones like the Evo. Might be helpful.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    I tried that, but they have derailed to flame wars and legitimate posts are being ignored, plus they didn't cover my specific questions. This thread has provided some good info that applies to my situation however.
    I understand. I was thinking you might PM the OPs as they seemed to have good info.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    Synergy - Unified contacts? Facebook friends in my contacts list? All my calendars showing on one calendar? Unified inbox? Is any of this possible or not a big deal on the EVO/android?
    Yes, there are unified (linked) contacts. It is a little different and has some added features. Like updates (twitter/Facebook) on the contact page, message (sms) history, call history, etc.). It's there but would probably depend on your personal preference to which you would prefer.

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    Universal search - I love on the pre that I can just start typing someones name or phone number and call/txt/email them. I NEVER open my phone or contact apps. Is there anything similar on the evo?
    Yes. It's even more robust. You can configure what you want it to search (i.e. Contacts, Messages, Mail, Apps, Calendar, Bookmarks, Browsing history, Google search results). It's accessed using the Google search widgets (since there is no physical keyboard) or using the search button. It also includes voice recognition for the search input (by holding the search button down or pressing the mic).

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    What I HATE about my pre that I am hoping will be solved with the EVO: (If there is a way to fix this on my Pre PLEASE let me know)

    No good remote desktop app (LogMeIn, RDP, etc.) I am currently using Teamviewer on my iPod touch tethered to my Pre. I have heard there are good remote desktop apps for android.
    There are several remote access Applications. Many have very good reviews. Especially for the EVO (due to screen size). I have been looking at this but have not jumped too depp in yet since I have been very busy the past couple weeks and I need to setup my VPN tunnel on the EVO still. LogMeIn is currently in Beta for Android using their "ignition" App.

    https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/android/

    I use Teamviewer regulary and would love a TV app for Android. However, they have stated (via Twitter) that they currently have no plans for Android. "We are still observing the development of the iPhone App until we decide for other platforms."

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    HORRIBLE bluetooth audio quality - sounds like crunching paper while I listen to any audio source over real speakers. Others have noted this is b/c of a limited bluetooth bandwidth and how much the pre compresses it for this limitation to conserve CPU power and ultimately battery life.
    I don't have any issues with this on Android. We have Jabra speakerphones in the cars and various BT headsets. Some sound better than others (due to the quality of the headset). But to be honest we never had much issue with the Pre either. I may have to test between the two a little more since you have piqued my curiosity.

    EDIT: Now that I think about it, I have used our Jabra SP700's to play music over BT (to both the speaker and to the radio via FM). I did not notice a difference between the EVO or the Pre. It sounded just like any FM transmitter (OK but not CD quality).

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    Cannot listen to voicemails from my work phone. They are WAV files not encoded with GSM, so that patch did not work. iPod/iPhone plays them fine.
    EDIT: Just tested this and it worked fine for me. My VOIP system (ShoreTel) encodes using CCITT u-Law. It did not work previously on the Pre (which was why I had it disabled).

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    No ActiveDirectory app on the Pre
    For what purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    No Nagios app on the Pre
    There are at least a couple. Although I have no personal experience with them. (We do not use Nagios).
    Nagroid and NagMonDroid.

    Hope that helps a little.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/09/2010 at 04:08 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the awesome info!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post


    EDIT: Just tested this and it worked fine for me. My VOIP system (ShoreTel) encodes using CCITT u-Law. It did not work previously on the Pre (which was why I had it disabled).

    - Our system is SipX


    For what purpose?

    - AD app on the iPhone/iPod allows me to lock/unlock user accounts and reset passwords while away from my desk.


Posting Permissions