1.    #1  
    So I've been back in eastern Kentucky visiting family for the summer (I reside in San Francisco) and figured while I was here it would be cool to get together with some of the other developers (primarily mobile) in the area.

I held a developer gathering yesterday to which 50-some people showed up (a lot more than I anticipated). It was more or less to showcase what you're working on or have previously worked on and to discuss other technical things (challenges, tips/tricks, etc.)

As we were wrapping up I thought it would be cool to take a general "consensus" ... so here is what I asked and the response I received.

How many of you here own and carry a smartphone. Smartphone being an iPhone, Android or WebOS device - Every hand was raised.
    How many of you here own a WebOS device? - No hands raised.
    How many of you here are curious about WebOS? - Two hands raised.
    How many of you here own an iPhone? - Almost every hand raised.
    How many of you own an Android device - Seven hands raised.
    How many of you have heard of WebOS? - Every hand raised.

Then I asked for input as to why they were not interested in WebOS.
    • As a developer, why should I be interested in a platform that no one else is interested in?
    • The tools to develop cool and comparable applications that you'll find on other platforms just isn't there.
    • I've yet to hear a single success story from a developer that develops for WebOS.

Then I asked one of the two people that were interested in WebOS why. It looks cool.

Just thought I would share my personal experience I've had with other developers and give you an idea of what HP/Palm has to contend with.
    Sounds about right. The results from the Appcelerator june survey posted pretty dismal results for WebOS as well.
    you found 50 mobile developers in eastern ky? wow. that says something about the digital economy. not sure what, but there is a business school case study in there somewhere.

thanks for sharing the results. hopefully you gave them a great demo and set them all straight about webOS, too. Yes?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you found 50 mobile developers in eastern ky? wow. that says something about the digital economy. not sure what, but there is a business school case study in there somewhere.

thanks for sharing the results. hopefully you gave them a great demo and set them all straight about webOS, too. Yes?
    It doesn't matter what you as a developer think of the platform, it's what the market thinks. And it was developers from a broad area; Eastern KY, Southern OH, Huntington/Charleston WV.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It doesn't matter what you as a developer think of the platform, it's what the market thinks. And it was developers from a broad area; Eastern KY, Southern OH, Huntington/Charleston WV.
    That's my point. It used to be developers concentrated in silicon valley, austin, etc. In addition to you showing that model is dead, there must be a social networking element in there for you to find and coordinate them.

I think it's freaking awesome, and says a lot about how work will get done over the next decade.

Now tell us how you showed off your Pre and set them straight on webOS!!! ;-)

Reserve yours today!
    How many of you here own an iPhone? - Almost every hand raised.
    I found your problem.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz

Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    one reason why they should look at WebOS

there was one App today called DESI, its a app for finding Indian restaurant, temple, theater and groceries.

My cousin made it to see how to develop Mobile Apps and thanks to my pushing he ported it to Palm WebOS.

He submitted it to android and apple last Monday and it got released on pal yesterday

His total downloads on palm in one day were higher than the total downloads in a week for android. He and me both were surprised.

P.S: Apple has been rejecting that app, they say the sdk is not upto date.