Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    . . . but the rest of it, multitasking and elegance, are just fluff.
    Uhhhh . . . I got nothin' to say to that. Just. . . Wow.

    Well, I guess I loves me some fluff.
  2. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #22  
    If you look at Android without any customizations, but as the stock OS with stock UI, how does that compare to the stock UI on WebOS? For that matter, throw iOS into the mix.

    Then you can add hardware to the picture, both base and overclocked, with patches, UI and so forth.

    So, as a straight OS, WebOS compares very well against Android when it comes to overall functionality and ease of use. Widgets vs. gesture area. You can't really compare the non-jailbroken iOS since Apple really does have things locked down far too much for our(non-iPhone users) taste.

    Hardware is the one area that makes many people look down on the Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus, just because the screen is smaller, even though the physical keyboard makes up for that, I do feel that we need a bigger screen on future devices. With the 1GHz kernel being as stable as it is, an overclocked Pre Plus really is competitive, with the stock battery being a valid complaint for those overclocking.

    The Touchstone SHOULD give Palm a few bonus points, just for the cool factor. Induction charging is something that SHOULD be a lot more common than it is.

    So, Android lovers, you can complain, and in some cases rightfully so, but you have to admit that if you couldn't change the UI, the stock UI might have kept you away from Android as an OS.
  3. #23  
    The poll is meaningless. All it means is that more Pre fanb*ys were able to pad the vote by voting from multiple computers on multiple networks than the Droid fanb*ys were.

    Congratulations on stuffing the ballot box.
  4. #24  
    gm, you are wrong... It means the pre and this community are #1
  5. #25  
    No, I am not wrong, the poll is meaningless. There are no safeguards against people voting from different IPs. It only prevents people from voting multiple times from the same IP. If people have access to multiple computers, phones, etc. they can (and have) most definitely pad(ed) the vote.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No, I am not wrong, the poll is meaningless. There are no safeguards against people voting from different IPs. It only prevents people from voting multiple times from the same IP. If people have access to multiple computers, phones, etc. they can (and have) most definitely pad(ed) the vote.
    Lighten up grumpy! We win!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No, I am not wrong, the poll is meaningless. There are no safeguards against people voting from different IPs. It only prevents people from voting multiple times from the same IP. If people have access to multiple computers, phones, etc. they can (and have) most definitely pad(ed) the vote.
    I get it GM... but I don't have the time, interest or energy to seek all the different ways I can vote more than once. I suspect many others here are the same way.

    And the droid folks have the same opportunity to do the same thing. What makes you certain that whoever wins the poll cheated more than the folks whe lost the poll? Surely there are just as many zealots with a faulty moral compass on both sides.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No, I am not wrong, the poll is meaningless. There are no safeguards against people voting from different IPs. It only prevents people from voting multiple times from the same IP. If people have access to multiple computers, phones, etc. they can (and have) most definitely pad(ed) the vote.

    There are 20x more anndroid users. don't you think they could have done more of that - if it were possible. Also, multiple computers are NAT-ed so they look like the same IP address.

    You sir, need to switch to decaf. And I don't mean maybe.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 07/09/2010 at 06:28 PM.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  9. #29  
    I thought about voting multiple times but didn't. I did notice some posters on Android sites that said they'd switched to Android phones but preferred webOS, so they voted for Pre Plus.

    You might think it was Palm Pre users trolling, but I know for a fact, that Palm Pre users never troll.
  10.    #30  
    perhaps the pre was the victor not in spite of androids strenghts but due ultimately to it's greatest weakness, fragmentation.

    The incredible is just one of many.
    many phones
    many UI's
    many android versions
    many manufacturer

    the only thing it is one of, is the worst place to be just that, carriers (US)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    perhaps the pre was the victor not in spite of androids strenghts but due ultimately to it's greatest weakness, fragmentation.

    The incredible is just one of many.
    many phones
    many UI's
    many android versions
    many manufacturer

    the only thing it is one of, is the worst place to be just that, carriers (US)
    don't forget a jaded, arrogant and un-engaged user base...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  12. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    I thought about voting multiple times but didn't. I did notice some posters on Android sites that said they'd switched to Android phones but preferred webOS, so they voted for Pre Plus.

    You might think it was Palm Pre users trolling, but I know for a fact, that Palm Pre users never troll.
    There were a couple. However, many people that went from Pre to Evo know that WebOS is easier to use, but lacks heavily in features.

    The Incredible is still on backorder, lol.


    But anyway, most people said that they miss WebOS's user interface... However they found that WebOS was lacking in features. They didn't patch anymore or have to root their phone because... Android already had it built in.
    __________________________

    But yeah, just pointed to some of the responses on here... please try an Android phone for an extended period of time (1-3 weeks will suffice) and you'll see how elegant it can be.

    For example, I can actually switch wifi, 3g, 4g, gps, and all that other jazz about 5 times faster than on a Pre... because I can make widgets.
    So I made a whole homescreen dedicated to settings widgets...
    Another example is setting the multimedia volume and the phone volume on the Pre... There's a widget on Android that actually lets you modify all sound volumes directly from your phone.

    So saying the UI isn't elegant is all based on the user... because you can easily change everything on an Android phone.
    I can't imagine having to deal with my Evo the way HTC stock'd it up. I changed it just like I patched my Pre.

    Just some food for thought.

    ________________

    Blah, and one last note.

    Last time there was the competition for best smartphone... and the PRe won.
    I voted once, but the problem lied in the fact that people used scripts to win. Pre votes would go up 200 when the HD2 went up like 10. This was way back when... I don't suspect differently now since I saw the same thing happen against the Incredible.
  13. #33  
    those werent scripts. it was how the back end polling system processed and reported updates. very sporadic. if it was a bot, it would have been smooth and rythmic.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  14. #34  
    Android users really don't care. They're too busy enjoying their phones to worry about silly blogger polls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    There are 20x more anndroid users. don't you think they could have done more of that - if it were possible.

    Targon....sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water. I'll take vanilla android and superior hardware over webOS on a Pre. Widgets are cancelled out by gestures? Seriously? Don't think so. Widgets = major functionality. Gestures? minor navigation improvement. Vanilla android still has multiple home screens and widgets which allow a lot of customization and functionality that's not available in webOS. The instant access to info I can have on multiple home screens is a big plus. Having a scrolling agenda that can fit two weeks at a glance on my home screen before I start scrolling has nothing that can hold a candle to it on webOS. And I can keep a separate one for tasks and todo's. Most prehuggers that give android the cursory five minute once over have no clue the convenience factor in customizing home screens with apps, widgets, active folders and such. No clue. Most don't even comprehend that holding the home button down allows them to multitask. That was proven in the "official" Evo vs webOS thread with quite a few webOS owners mentioning the daunting task of multitasking and not understanding how it's done, which is actually quite ironic since many are former PalmOS users who had the same functionality, albeit with just recent apps, on their treos and centros.

    Bottom line is, to dismiss the ability to customize Android's OS(not talking rooting, homebrew and such, just regular 3rd party apps and widgets) just doesn't create a fair comparison. Customization is the nature of Android. Just because webOS is limited in respect to home screens, widgets, and active info doesn't mean you should cripple Android in a head to head comparison.

    And if you're going to compare you have to mention the lack of certain apps like Google Voice and Docs To Go. And take google voice out of it and just mention native visual voicemail for those that don't want to deal with a 2nd phone number just for voicemail.

    I still enjoy webOS and am a big fan of how it handles email and messaging and miss a little bit, the elegance of the UI, but for now it's not nearly enough to overcome the added functionality I have in Android plus the better hardware.

    And I won't entertain overclocking in the comparison because the average user is not going to do that. It's more what the masses are going do to. People on forums make up a very small percentage of sales and the masses just won't do to their phones the things we do to improve them. And if you're going to homebrew and overclock, then you have to put it up against a rooted and overclocked android phone to be fair, and that part is absent in your post.

    Touchstone? Bonus points over a simple charging cradle? It's a nice thing to have IF I already chose webOS, but it's hardly swaying me one way or the other. In the car, I used it only 50% of the time because I wanted it charging outside of it being docked so to speak. And I never traveled with it either. My belkin travel outlet strip with two USB outlets does the trick with a cable or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If you look at Android without any customizations, but as the stock OS with stock UI, how does that compare to the stock UI on WebOS?

    Then you can add hardware to the picture, both base and overclocked, with patches, UI and so forth.

    So, as a straight OS, WebOS compares very well against Android when it comes to overall functionality and ease of use. Widgets vs. gesture area.

    Hardware is the one area that makes many people look down on the Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus, just because the screen is smaller, even though the physical keyboard makes up for that, I do feel that we need a bigger screen on future devices. With the 1GHz kernel being as stable as it is, an overclocked Pre Plus really is competitive, with the stock battery being a valid complaint for those overclocking.

    The Touchstone SHOULD give Palm a few bonus points, just for the cool factor. Induction charging is something that SHOULD be a lot more common than it is.

    So, Android lovers, you can complain, and in some cases rightfully so, but you have to admit that if you couldn't change the UI, the stock UI might have kept you away from Android as an OS.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  15. #35  
    @crogs, I'm glad you are back... but I think you still have this fourm confused with androidcentral.com

    This thread started out celebrating some positive exposure to the pre, and it has devolved into a shouting match about the superiority of android.

    Why?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  16. #36  
    I was just responding to some of the comments. First one was for humor. And I just had to set targon straight. This is the appropriate forum for the rah rah as opposed to the cross platform area. But if someone is going to make untrue comments about android, is there anything wrong with a little rebuttal?

    I actually popped back into this section to see about the 1.4.5 hoopla. Still nothing...ugh. Hoping to see some big changes in the very near future. The Palm tech guy I talked to the other month said 1.4.5 would be here by now and that 1.5 would hit near the fall. I've got four people now at work on webOS (just converted one more from a Hero....happy? haha)
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  17. #37  
    There is some heavy fanboyism in this thread haha.

    Android is a slight improvement from Windows Mobile???

    ***?
  18. #38  
    I guess the "ism" ending of that word passes it through the filters. I've moved on from circumventing the FB filter and just call them "prehuggers'.

    As workerb eluded to, this thread was supposed to be a spirit booster for the prehuggers in light of all the android love, lack of movement on the webOS front, and the fact that Sprint people are still stuck with original equipment and paying a premium for it while Verizon and AT&T people get the plus versions for free (ok, I added that last one). So actually bringing logic and truth into the thread is frowned upon as egos, hopes and dreams will be shattered.

    You'd think at this point, Palm would be doing something to boost the spirits of their user base and potential new users. Push some updates. Give info on 1.5 and give a date a good month beyond when they expect to release it (so they can be pleasantly suprised). Give a hint or leak of new hardware. Something so the poor souls can take their focus away from the Android machine that seems to be rolling through.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19. #39  
    Just an opinion to throw into this mix, regarding "customization":

    We all have our preferences, and work certain ways, and think differently, as well, so, customizing things to suit us is a way of life, in so many areas. Its a direct relationship to our individuality.

    BUT, wouldn't it be terrific if there was just one thing that really was designed to be the truest "common demominator" for all, and, therefore, made customization so much less of an issue, because, it works the way people intuitively think and behave?

    This is, I believe, WeOS's genius. I'd go so far as to opine that ANY current mobile OS today would prefer using gestures and card view like WebOS does versus however they curently do it now, if they were provided a choice.

    Now, that isn't a fact.. its conjecture, but, its based on my listening to the professional critics over the last 1.5 years since its been announced to the public, and, even moreso.. my silent observation of people when they use it on the Pre for the first time. Its just so easy to use, that its deceptively simple, but still, all that power for multitasking and graphics and gaming is right there, as well.

    The tech press is reporting that the next Android version.. Gingerbread (3.0), is going to address this "fragmentation" by delivering a finished user interface... one that all android phones will have or, will have the option to use, in the future (its not clear which is true yet).

    This will become an interesting scenario to watch, as its possible, at that point, that using Android for an smartphone with the same GUI as your competitors may reduce ones competitive advvantage, if hardware capabilities are the same.. so, why even other make a new device?

    Back in the says of the Palm OS for PDA's, device hardware differed widely, with a huge range of capaiblities, so, even though you were licensing from Plam the same OS as your competitor, you were using hardware with vastly different capabilities.. wifi versus no wifi, sound versus no sound, more memory versus low memory, keyboard versus grafiti, etc..

    Just some thougts to ponder.

    IMO, of course.

    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/10/2010 at 01:56 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #40  
    I kinda disagree. While I like webOS it's still open launcher, launch program, close program, open launcher, launch another program. I don't want to have to keep opening programs or swiping through programs left open to get access to info. I want to look at my home screen and see my info. If there was a home screen with widget like functionality in webOS I might agree more.

    The fact that I can have info from multiple programs and sources on home screens without the need to open and close programs is a plus. The fact I can organize info, apps and such into folders and actively update the info in there is a plus.

    Maybe there is some confusion about the lines between customization and functionality. In the case of webOS there are areas where it just simply lacks in functionality. What the defenders seem to do though is downplay that added functionality through the elegance of card multitasking and gestures. But that is a big stretch IMO.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions