Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got a Pre a few days ago and have been messing around. I loved my Hero and love my EVO even more, but something was making me test out WebOS. I have compared the two after a little use. The results surprised me, I can say I may be switching between the two for a little while, at least during the week when I don't need 4G.

Software

Notifications - WebOS
    Such a beautiful way to display them, easy to see but don't interfere with any current activities.

Native Apps - WebOS/Sense
    Messaging, calendar definitely better on WebOS, the HTC dialer though is much better. T9 is necessary in a dialer. HTC Contacts also are much nicer to use, better Facebook (and Twitter/Flickr) integration, easier to manage contacts from different sources.

Homescreen - Sense
    I find it slightly easier to navigate apps on android, thanks to apps like "App Organizer" which allows you to categorize apps. Widgets are so helpfull, it would be great if WebOS would have some widgets, like clock/weather, wifi/bt toggles ect. I do think 7 homescreens is to many though. (Note double digit home replacements within android, something for everyone)

Multitasking - WebOS
    Not really much of a debate here, WebOS is amazing at multitasking, android's multitasking is much harder to manage running services and swap between the two.

Buttons - WebOS
    The required buttons on android are numerous, although they never really bothered my I LOVE how WebOS makes many of them useless. I do miss the dedicated search button and a menu button is useful also (clicking top right is sometimes annoying), although I imagine I could try to program a gesture to do the same. Back gesture, change programs gesture, home button, what more do you need?

Root/Homebrew - WebOS
    Obtaining root requires different methods on each phone and each update attempts to stop this. WebOS is open, go at it. I love modding my phone, have on windows mobile, have on android, and have started to on WebOS. If I ever bought a new android phone and it couldn't be rooted I would throw it away, its useless without root access.

Apps - Android
    Bigger app market, more devs, stronger tools, ect. WebOS cant really compete here.

Browser - Android
    I need to use the browsers more to compare, though they seem very comparable, both being Web-Kit browsers, but I am leaning towards Android right now, with 2.2 having full flash and sense 2.1 having flashlite (full flash with mod). Also, unless I'm completely missing something, the WebOS browser cannot act as a desktop by default. To view sites that auto-detect for mobile devices and redirect you, you have to hope they have an option to view the desktop version (most do), but I like having it default to desktop versions of sites.

Overall - WebOS
    This is a really hard decision for me, I really like both and would love some features of both to extend to each other. Multitasking is so much better on WebOS, android is really saved by Sense as vanilla looses hands down to WebOS. I would love to have had Sense+WebOS (HTC nearly bought Palm) alas, it will never happen. I need HTC Contacts/Dialer in WebOS as they are perfection. Hiding contacts from some sources. I have 100 contacts on fb I don't call, text, email, ect, EVER. I don't want them in my phone, but I do want fb info/pics of the people I do call. I no longer use exchange though as both android and WebOS are extremely efficient with gmail.

Now for the Hardware

Battery - EVO
    My battery life the first few days has been terrible on the Pre, tried many things and maybe they will work out, otherwise definitely going back to my EVO, which never died from a days use.

Keyboard - EVO (HTC IME_MOD / Swype)
    I use the custom keyboard made by the devs at xda, the stock one is quite annoying (up/down/left/right arrows). I also really like Swype, it works really well. The virtual keyboard on the Pre is useless to me. Not only because of the screen size because I had the Hero and it had only a slightly bigger screen. The hardware keyboard on the Pre is decent, especially for its size, but i prefer a slide-out hardware keyboard or a nice software keyboard.

Screen - EVO
    Really its just because its so much bigger. Colors are much more vibrant on the Pre, but the extra space is so nice I cant pass it up.

Hardware - EVO
    HTC makes a solid phone (despite their early flaws with the EVO) I really do prefer the hardware of the EVO over the Pre. They both feel nice and solid in your hand, but HTC just makes a phone feel and look right. I don't think HP can make a better piece of hardware than HTC either.

Camera - EVO
    This comparison is unfair, two phones from different generations the EVO wins though it doesn't have the best camera on a smartphone. The video recording is capped reducing the quality and the FPS. The dual LED flash is better, but can sometimes washout people in closeups. Also the addition of the front facing cam for video chat makes this no contest.

Speed - EVO
    The EVO has a faster processor, a generation ahead of the Pre, but WebOS makes the Pre comparable to the EVO in speed. Where the EVO wins is loading time of apps. The EVO loads nearly instantly while launching any app, even messaging, takes a few seconds. This may be different on the Pre Plus, but it would definitely be different in a new WebOS smartphone.

Overall - EVO
    I really can't wait for the next WebOS device, please HP bring us one for November (most likely June though). The EVO is a generation ahead and made by (in my opinion) a much better quality company and a better design team in HTC.

If there are other parts of the OS or the phones that I forgot to compare please let me know. I really do love both of these phones and can't decide which I like better. WebOS is amazing, HTC makes amazing hardware (and software modifications). I really would have loved an HTC built WebOS phone. From now on whenever I'm using my Pre I will want to grab my EVO and whenever I'm on my EVO I'll be looking for my Pre. I wish I didn't wait so long to test out WebOS but I'm glad I did.

**EDIT**

Voicemail - EVO
    Both Google Voice voicemail via the voicemail app and direct replacement of sprint voicemail and sprints voicemail app are far superior to the standard flip phone voicemail of the Pre. This is obviously software and could possibly be changed in the first HP WebOS phone, but I doubt comparable Google Voice service.
    Last edited by davebu3; 07/06/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    nice review. Some extra info on the pre.

wifi/bt toggle can be accessed anytime by tapping the time or battery.

no need for a search button since you can just start typing whenever you are not in an app full screen.

turn on advance gesture in the screen and lock app and you can do full scren app switching in one swipe.

I believe you can delete ur facebook account from the contacts app without it deleting ur facebook account in other apps.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I mentioned the advance gesture. Wifi/bt takes two clicks that way, not to many but one click is always nice. I guess it does leave the homescreen nice and clean.

I would like to have facebook info like bday, contact picture, email, ect for my existing contacts, not all of the fb contacts.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ah ok, but it's only one click if you are already at the homescreen with the widget right? From anywhere else, you have to navigate to that homescren first? And then navigate back to ur app.
    When accessing the menus at the top on webos, you can start your finger above the screen, and swipe straight down. It's a little easier than trying to tap the menu icon.
  6.    #6  
    actually its three clicks to enable wifi, click top right, click wifi, click on. maybe i would be satisfied with an app similar to quick contacts that i could leave running. it could control wifi/bt/gps/brightness/sound/airplanemode/ect and maybe have a beautiful clock above those controls. if only i knew how to program it lol.

But running a few apps that are basically widget replacements is going to slow it down, wont be a problem on future devices but it will on the Pre.

I would also like a way to show all cards besides long-pressing one card, like double tapping gesture area, no i dont want the vkb anymore. I guess its just because im familiar with other OS, why is there no long-press anywhere else? it makes copy/paste so much easier.
    The beauty of the webOS WIFI/BT toggle menu is that it's always there, no matter what app you are in (unless you are in a full screen app that hides the top status bar, like youtube). No need to "go back to the homescreen".

Also, I feel only us geeks would be switching radios on and off that much. Most people either leave them on or leave them off. Thus it makes sense to me that it's hidden in that easy to reach menu, instead of a widget taking up space on the home screen.

Quote Originally Posted by davebu3 View Post
    I would also like a way to show all cards besides long-pressing one card
    Tap in the space bellow all cards, above the bottom row of icons (the dock, in Mac OS jargon).
    I love my moms evo, but cannot stand the fact that it has only a virtual keyboard. Other then that its a dream phone. Add in a slide keyboard(landscape) and you have a pocket netbook with built in phone. Really the only thing tying me to my pre over android is multitasking, and the availability of droid phones on sprint. If the moto droid was offered on sprint well I probably would be on android forums right now. Now have a moto droid, evo and pre+ mate together and you have the perfect phone. Webos software, evo hardware and size (I like that its huge), and a landscape keyboard and built materials from the moto droid. Im drolling all over my XPS thinking about this spawn...
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidxit2 View Post
    ... Add in a slide keyboard(landscape) and you have a pocket netbook with built in phone. ...
    the epic 4G is pretty cool.

I'd rather have my pre than the EVO, but maybe not a 4G phone like the Epic 4G or a smaller 4G device. I dont like android very much so 4G would be the only reason to switch to it. I hate how big these android devices are getting! there is a rumored HTC HD 3 (winpho-7) that has a 4.5" screen! that is ridiculous. HTC is cool but they are just making a billion phones with 32509345 megapixel cameras with ginourmous screens. Thats not creative, thats just spec-heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese3915 View Post

I'd rather have my pre than the EVO, but maybe not a 4G phone like the Epic 4G or a smaller 4G device. I dont like android very much so 4G would be the only reason to switch to it. I hate how big these android devices are getting! there is a rumored HTC HD 3 (winpho-7) that has a 4.5" screen! that is ridiculous. HTC is cool but they are just making a billion phones with 32509345 megapixel cameras with ginourmous screens. Thats not creative, thats just spec-heavy.
    Those are just the highlight phones:

HTC Aria for AT&T hands-on -- Engadget

HTC Aria, mid tier phone, 3.2" screen size. android 2.1, mid tier CPU.

Also HTC Wildfire:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Wildfire

HTC is making enough phones for all markets...hence why i wanted them to buy Palm haha. What makes it worse is these two phones have a perfect area for a touch panel that would've been great for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese3915 View Post

The size doesnt bother me. The evo fits in my pockets fine and it doesnt bother me that it is huge. In fact its more of a bonus IMHO. As for webos I love the os but hate the hardware.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    WebOS > Android but Evo Hw > Pre Hw (By far).

I'll wait for newer hw from Palm but the Evo's hw is most impressive, just not impressed at all with Android.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    WebOS > Android but Evo Hw > Pre Hw (By far).

I'll wait for newer hw from Palm but the Evo's hw is most impressive, just not impressed at all with Android.
    My exact take on the situation minus the fact it will be hard to hold out if a cool droid comes to sprint (with a keyboard).
    The Evo hardware is really ta thing of beauty. With the screen off it looks like a solid black monolith. Capacitive buttons was a VERY wise choice for that phone.
    To be fair the Pre is also a great LOOKING hardware....but feeling is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

HTC is making enough phones for all markets...hence why i wanted them to buy Palm haha. What makes it worse is these two phones have a perfect area for a touch panel that would've been great for WebOS.
    I wanted them to buy palm too, but with all of these great phones that fit what i prefer, it bugs me that HTC alone makes multiple phones, with the same form factor, and releases them fairly quickly. Engadget is always posting "The HTC [enter name here] will be getting Android 2.x within months" or something. They need to slim down and make only a couple variations. I.E. Make a HTC [whatever] that has a 3.5" screen and all the goodies, and release it on all carriers and only release one of said form factor per ~6 months or so, not a new one every 2 months that is slightly better than the previous one.

And to be honsst, i want an extremely sturdy palm phone with a software keyboard. Basically, an iPhone with webOS would be perfect. Everybody can admit the hardware alone for the iPhone 4 is good. (minus the antenna issue...)
  17.    #17  
    The iPhone was designed around the antenna, without it it would be twice as thick.

HP is not known for hardware (iPaq)

HTC doesn't come out with slightly better hardware every two months. Sprint wanted a 4G phone, verizon doesnt, the EVO and Incredible are basically the same, trade screen size for quality (AMOLED). I really hope HTC brings out another hardware keyboard android phone that is as loved as the G1. Please give me the TouchPro2 keyboard on android and throw in 4G and I will fall in love. (I work for Clear so 4G is a must for me)

I posted this on xda also, someone mentioned that Palm's former lead designer is now working on Android Gingerbread.WebOS is great and if HTC were to add their touch it would be amazing.

Oh and thanks for the tap under cards tip, never noticed that.
  18.    #18  
    The iPhone was designed around the antenna, without it it would be twice as thick.

HP is not known for hardware (iPaq)

HTC doesn't come out with slightly better hardware every two months. Sprint wanted a 4G phone, verizon doesnt, the EVO and Incredible are basically the same, trade screen size for quality (AMOLED). I really hope HTC brings out another hardware keyboard android phone that is as loved as the G1. Please give me the TouchPro2 keyboard on android and throw in 4G and I will fall in love. (I work for Clear so 4G is a must for me)

I posted this on xda also, someone mentioned that Palm's former lead designer is now working on Android Gingerbread.WebOS is great and if HTC were to add their touch it would be amazing.

Oh and thanks for the tap under cards tip, never noticed that.
    I have played with my buddys htc incredible extensively comparing everything. Honestly the only things that the incredible does better is the smoothness of android 2.1 (which I hate) because of the 1ghz snapdragon, and the camera which takes really good pics. Android 2.1 just seemed too complicated. It takes so many steps just to do one thing. It literaly took me 10 mins just to find the android marketplace. The web browser was surprisingly similar. My pre plus kept pace and sometimes beat the incredible when loading ages. For being older hardware my pre plus fared well against the incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I have played with my buddys htc incredible extensively comparing everything. Honestly the only things that the incredible does better is the smoothness of android 2.1 (which I hate) because of the 1ghz snapdragon, and the camera which takes really good pics. Android 2.1 just seemed too complicated. It takes so many steps just to do one thing. It literaly took me 10 mins just to find the android marketplace. The web browser was surprisingly similar. My pre plus kept pace and sometimes beat the incredible when loading ages. For being older hardware my pre plus fared well against the incredible.
    That is some harsh negative feedback!
    10 min to find the android marketplace?
    It's basically the same setup as the Palm Pre... That is... an icon/application used to launch the App Store...

BTW load up Dolphin HD browser and let me know if the browsers are still surprisingly similar.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast