Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Doublepost...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/06/2010 at 09:58 PM.
    The Moment came out a little after the Pre, the Hero a little before. All 3 are dinosaurs. Thank God for the EVO and the upcoming EPIC and INTERCEPT.
    The Saint
    Moving to cross-platform...
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    palm stated very clearly what their intentions were relative to the dev community. Search the google.

And pastorich1, don't be wasting the Lord's money on gadgets...
    Ha, I also have a gov. job so I stay out of the offering plate and spend your tax dollars passed on in my salary on the gadgets.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    The Moment came out a little after the Pre, the Hero a little before. All 3 are dinosaurs. Thank God for the EVO and the upcoming EPIC and INTERCEPT.
    Pre=June 6th
    Hero=Oct 11th
    Moment=Nov 1st
    I've been using an EVO since launch.

The Pre hardware is really what is holding WebOS back. The lack of developers on the app side isn't helping matters either.

To me, it really comes down to how invested you are in Google's infrastructure. The Gmail client on Android is highly superior in speed and functionality. The integration with calendar, docs, etc, maps, etc, can't be beat.

As a disclaimer, I've been on Android before, way back, lol. I went to WebOS to try something different. WebOS does quite a bit right... Unfortunately it doesn't do enough right. It has glaring holes on the hardware side, lack of developer interest, and it's missing some basic functionality. Sure , some of this can be addressed in patches and such, however there's no way I can recommend a Pre over the any of the higher end smart phones on the market. The Pre is definitely showing it's age.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I used to have AT&T for my kids and wifes phones. We bought them at Radio Shack because they had the phones we wanted in stock and just down the sidewalk in the same strip mall was an AT&T corporate store which didn't offer the phones. I figured if I ever needed their service I could go there. That turned out to be a false assumption on my part. Since I didn't sign up for service in their store and get my devices from them, they would not provide me service for my phones.

On the other hand, I had upgraded my Sprint device at Radio Shack while there and when I had an issue with it, I took it to the Sprint corporate store down the street and they helped me without question.

Since then I have done all of my business at the Sprint store and eventually cancelled all 4 lines I had with AT&T (paid a $200 canc. fee for each line) and moved them all to Sprint.

That may have been a run-on sentence on my part. RadioShack doesnt service AT&T phones. They give you the AT&T warranty number and AT&T sends you a replacement, not Radioshack (if its still under the 1 year manufacturers warranty). Sprint does seem to take care of more people at their corporate stores tho. The customer service has improved from years past.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Pre = Outdated
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBro132 View Post
    Pre = Outdated
    prebro = genius.
    pre outdated...
    WebOS = not outdated

Android = clunky

Ios = soon to be scrapped - dated
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBro132 View Post
    Pre = Outdated
    care to elaborate?

I would say
    pre, droid, 3gs=dated

ie all are no longer the top tier lords of smartphones but, they are not OUTdated, unless being in the top teir is how you define outdated to begin with.
    Hey hey, the Pre is about to score a knock out punch against the Android Champion the HTC Droid Incredible. It's not outdated. It's still usable though people are put off about the slower device.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    care to elaborate?

I would say
    pre, droid, 3gs=dated

ie all are no longer the top tier lords of smartphones but, they are not OUTdated, unless being in the top teir is how you define outdated to begin with.
    well yes my good sir.. dont mind if i do.

HARDWARE

since pre release.... major advancements in smartphone hardware have released.
    lets not argue def of dated and outdated... lets agree that a smartphone over a yr old is dated/ outdated/ not current/ needs upgrading/

cheerio!
    Guys, face it the Pre is old. Even my Droid is a dinosaur now. Hardware becomes outdated after just a few months in the mobil world. That's just the way it is. Eventually, like the modern PC, the specs will outpace the sofware and a phone can be kept without worry for years. Right now, they're not quite there yet.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Hey hey, the Pre is about to score a knock out punch against the Android Champion the HTC Droid Incredible. It's not outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    If you listed out the feature sets for webOS, Android, WM and the iPhone... they would all be "comparable". I would even say that webOS might come out just a bit short when compared to the others. HOWEVER, webOS does have a very elegant and and intuitive UI/navigation model.
    Bringing teh thread back to the topic, I'm a little lost here. Your statement above would seem to contradict your general assertion that the Pre actually is "outdated". Is it your assertion that all of these "comperable" devices are outdated?

Ironically, that would be my assertion; but then the term itself has so many meanings (most of which are opinion based) that it's almost a meaningless term.

In my opinion, just about any electronic device released today is outdated by the time it can be purchased.
    My defnition of outdated is when a device isn't keeping up with newer devices.

In the case for a phone....WebOS and the Pre are lacking compared to Android and iPhone (and in some cases even RIM) in feature set.

Now, that can change in one software update or one hardware refresh, but even the old Hero has the software set of android 2.1 even if the hardware is older.

I will end this with an all encompassing 'in my opinion and usage of a phone"
    Until my phone can shoot laser beams to melt unhelpful in-store salespeople, I won't be satisfied with any phone. <g>

Seriously, yes, the Pre's hardware would do well with an update, but to be totally honest, I don't want a new form factor. I love the size of the current unit. Fix the innards, give us more memory, processor and, gasp, a mini-SD slot, but keep the slider!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Bringing teh thread back to the topic, I'm a little lost here. Your statement above would seem to contradict your general assertion that the Pre actually is "outdated". Is it your assertion that all of these "comperable" devices are outdated?

Ironically, that would be my assertion; but then the term itself has so many meanings (most of which are opinion based) that it's almost a meaningless term.

In my opinion, just about any electronic device released today is outdated by the time it can be purchased.
    Not at all... if you were following along and understood the context. Also, I was being a bit generous in that statement (imo). Hence the statement of "I would even say that webOS might come out just a bit short when compared to the others".

It is obviously behind with regards to hardware and (imo) is at least slightly behind with regards to its OS feature set.

Also, if you were following along... I more than once mentioned that being "outdated" is a adjective based on opinion. However an opinion can be supported by facts.

But good try at "spin".

EDIT: BTW if the term is so "meaningless" why are so many taking offense to it and feeling the need to defend the Pre?
    It's also odd (and ironic/hypocritical) that this thread started out with Pre "defenders" demanding hard technical facts and all they seem to be able to fall back on is the general ease of navigation / elegance of the webOS UI or personal preferences of particular nuances of the OS. Which is easily the most opinion based aspect of this market.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    All the retailers have been dissuading buyers from the Pre since shortly after launch. It could single handidly be responsible for its failure. Every time I've been to the Sprint store (and I've been there a lot, getting the device replaced) I hear the Sprint reps telling buyers to stay away....Can't fault them though.... while WebOS= best mobile OS EVER, Palm Pre = Fail.
    My wife has the moment, its a nice phone but just as outdated as the pre. They still seem to ship them with android 1.5 and no choice for OTA updates. Had to push it over USB and it took a little time to get 2.1. Honestly I dont talk to people from best buy as they arent knowledgeable at all (no offense they are told to push certain items and everyone I have listened too had no clue what they were saying). Now granted there are some who probably do now what they are talking about, but still they are told to push some devices over others and that kind of bias is what can ruin companies and or brand image.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast