Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 184
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Diplomacy like this explains why you are a forum leader and a pastor, and why I am neither. Well stated.
    Apparently it wasn't as diplomatic as some would like. But thanks for the cudos anyway. Text is a very poor conveyor of tone and intent so it must have read differently to the mod than I intended or would have spoken in person.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Apparently it wasn't as diplomatic as some would like. But thanks for the cudos anyway. Text is a very poor conveyor of tone and intent so it must have read differently to the mod than I intended or would have spoken in person.
    it's that sarcasm filter that people forget to turn off when reading forum posts. It filters out the sarcasm font and makes it harder to tell. I think the 'sense of humor' plug-in should default to 'on' when the sarcasm filter is active... (grin)
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

    1. That is not entirely fact. It's one small fact with which you have completely surrounded with your opinion/interpretation of Palm's intentions and to the extent this was to be used for. They surely did not hide the Developer mode from the average user to encourage it's use by the average user...

    2. Since the beginning? The OC'd kernels have only been out for 3-4 months (?), so I am assuming you mean since then? So you have your one experience and I have mine (two experiences)... But where is the factual/technical data that you provided?

    3. You are mistaken, Very much so.
    Ummm... You have heard of a company named RIM.... that makes a device called a Blackberry?
    I will simply deal with the glaring things here and move on.

    1. Palm is well aquainted with their developer community and they know that even though the devs are the ones doing the developing the average users are the ones who provide testing, feedback and requests for additional functionality. It's just good business and doesn't require any great stretch to arrive at.

    2. Yes that is where the beginning was and yes I have been involved since then (go read the threads) and the things I mentioned concerning heat are echoed by many others who are overclocked. Some settings cause issues and some don't. In fact many are convinced their Pre's run cooler OC'd (see race to idle). So it isn't just my anecdotal experience that I base my statements on.

    3. Ok... really? Windows Mobile comes anywhere near WebOS? Granted, I have not used anything beyond 6.1 but they have all been horrendous. I get the business application for the RIM devices but when it comes to the connected web experience plus business functionality WebOS is the best hands down IMHO. And for now the only place to get WebOS is on the Pre or Pixi.

    Now to caveat all of the crowing and eating crow taking place in this thread, I do look forward to new hardware, but not because this hardware leaves me living in the dark ages. I like innovation I buy new tech stuff all the time and spend lots of money on it. HP/Palm will have something out soon that will be great with lessons learned from the current experience.

    So heads up, and eyes forward, the best is yet to come.
  4. #124  
    palm stated very clearly what their intentions were relative to the dev community. Search the google.

    And pastorich1, don't be wasting the Lord's money on gadgets...
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Is this how OSX, Linux, or Windows do it? I fail to see the superiority of pushing stuff out of memory, but I'm not an OS developer...
    No, but desktop operating systems don't operate under a limited memory footprint because of their ability to page in and out.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, but desktop operating systems don't operate under a limited memory footprint because of their ability to page in and out.
    Perhaps you've forgotten about the days when Windows could only address 640k of memory and used things like extended memory and expanded memory. Even then it didn't handle things the way Android does. Nor does iPhone OS. I still don't see the superiority you keep mentioning. The memory thing isn't working for you. So let's move on... What else you got?
  7. #127  
    This thread is both great and terrible. It's feeling a little like the General Complaint Thread. I'm tempted to merge it. Sorely tempted. It's certainly not about Best Buy anymore.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This thread is both great and terrible. It's feeling a little like the General Complaint Thread. I'm tempted to merge it. Sorely tempted. It's certainly not about Best Buy anymore.
    Wait, this thread is supposed to be about Best Buy?
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Perhaps you've forgotten about the days when Windows could only address 640k of memory and used things like extended memory and expanded memory. Even then it didn't handle things the way Android does. Nor does iPhone OS. I still don't see the superiority you keep mentioning. The memory thing isn't working for you. So let's move on... What else you got?
    Uh, Windows has always been able to access more than 640K of memory since 2.0 -- that was the whole point of protected mode.

    How is the memory thing not working? Having preemptive multitasking on a desktop is great because RAM is easily expandable and the system can page out to disk when it runs out of physical RAM. Mobile devices don't have that luxury. Hence, "too many cards."
  10. Voodooi's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #130  
    I only got the pre because Bell Canada is giving 30% off your 50$ phone bill every month for 3 years ....that's a 500$+ savings over the 3 years.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Uh, Windows has always been able to access more than 640K of memory since 2.0 -- that was the whole point of protected mode.

    How is the memory thing not working? Having preemptive multitasking on a desktop is great because RAM is easily expandable and the system can page out to disk when it runs out of physical RAM. Mobile devices don't have that luxury. Hence, "too many cards."
    Actually, the Pre can page out to disk. It uses the Linux swap space.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Uh, Windows has always been able to access more than 640K of memory since 2.0 -- that was the whole point of protected mode.

    How is the memory thing not working? Having preemptive multitasking on a desktop is great because RAM is easily expandable and the system can page out to disk when it runs out of physical RAM. Mobile devices don't have that luxury. Hence, "too many cards."
    Since 2.0 and Always are not the same thing... And it swapped to extended and/or expanded memory. I forget which one. And it swapped to disk (a lot).

    And
    the momory thing not working" means that your argument isn't working. You have yet to explain how android's use of memory leads to the conclusion that it is superior multitasking than the Pre (or iPhone). So what OTHER reasons do you have for saying it is superior?
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This thread is both great and terrible. It's feeling a little like the General Complaint Thread. I'm tempted to merge it. Sorely tempted. It's certainly not about Best Buy anymore.
    Maybe just close it?
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Maybe just close it?
    I did consider that. I haven't ruled it out. But there is also some interesting discussion here, and it hasn't quite gotten out of hand, so...
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  15. gonk24's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #135  
    My father in law went to a Best Buy today to get a Pre for his wife and was told Palm doesn't make phones anymore.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Actually, the Pre can page out to disk. It uses the Linux swap space.
    You're right -- I didn't mean to say that mobile operating systems can't page in and out. I meant it's not an ideal solution because it tends to gets ugly when the system starts thrashing on flash memory.
  17. #137  
    I got a rocketfish case for 9.99 at best buy yesterday... Almost got kicked out, for showing a customer my pre
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Since 2.0 and Always are not the same thing... And it swapped to extended and/or expanded memory. I forget which one. And it swapped to disk (a lot).

    And
    the momory thing not working" means that your argument isn't working. You have yet to explain how android's use of memory leads to the conclusion that it is superior multitasking than the Pre (or iPhone). So what OTHER reasons do you have for saying it is superior?
    I wasn't actually the person who called Android's multitasking model superior but if I were to, I'd probably cite the more efficient memory management model and the way the system handles event cues as examples.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I will simply deal with the glaring things here and move on.

    1. Palm is well aquainted with their developer community and they know that even though the devs are the ones doing the developing the average users are the ones who provide testing, feedback and requests for additional functionality. It's just good business and doesn't require any great stretch to arrive at.

    2. Yes that is where the beginning was and yes I have been involved since then (go read the threads) and the things I mentioned concerning heat are echoed by many others who are overclocked. Some settings cause issues and some don't. In fact many are convinced their Pre's run cooler OC'd (see race to idle). So it isn't just my anecdotal experience that I base my statements on.

    3. Ok... really? Windows Mobile comes anywhere near WebOS? Granted, I have not used anything beyond 6.1 but they have all been horrendous. I get the business application for the RIM devices but when it comes to the connected web experience plus business functionality WebOS is the best hands down IMHO. And for now the only place to get WebOS is on the Pre or Pixi.

    Now to caveat all of the crowing and eating crow taking place in this thread, I do look forward to new hardware, but not because this hardware leaves me living in the dark ages. I like innovation I buy new tech stuff all the time and spend lots of money on it. HP/Palm will have something out soon that will be great with lessons learned from the current experience.

    So heads up, and eyes forward, the best is yet to come.
    That is a whole lot of opinion, personal preference and interpretation for someone stating they wanted to base things off of hard facts and technical specs.
  20. #140  
    If you listed out the feature sets for webOS, Android, WM and the iPhone... they would all be "comparable". I would even say that webOS might come out just a bit short when compared to the others. HOWEVER, webOS does have a very elegant and and intuitive UI/navigation model.

    It will be interesting to see how Android evolves in that facet since the primary person responsible for that portion of webOS is now with Google and in charge if the user interface for Android.

    I'm thinking I will let this thread go since we are way off topic and I always seem to get myself into these discussions in threads with those that have obvious bias. webOS is nice and if it currently works for you... that's great. It works very well for my wife also. Just not so much for me anymore.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/06/2010 at 10:25 PM.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions