Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I hardly think the Pre is outdated. With the ability to run @ 1GHz and do more than most other smartphones on the market, I think it is still quite viable.
    LOLWUT there is not one single thing the pre does that another smart phone can not do.

The phone is outdated plan and simple...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I just bought an Evo to replace my Pre as my phone. They salesman at Best Buy told me they were dropping all of the Palm products as they were not selling. He did express an interest in WebOS, but still had the same comment as everyone else -- crappy hardware, tiny screen, not enough raw power to keep up with the Joneses.

I'm keeping the Pre (Can't get much for it from Sprint) so I can see what happens to WebOS in the near term. Now that they have HP behind them, Palm isn't going to disappear into the ether so they don't need my monetary support. They have my moral support though.

I'll be rejoining the ranks of the ******* if/when Palm comes out with a tablet or a better phone. After spending a few days with Android/Sense the only complaint I have is that there's so many layers to it, it's hard to figure out where to start. I've already found at least 5 apps that don't exist on WebOS that I'll use daily. But Android definitely is not as slick as WebOS. It gets close, but there's a certain level of polish on the UI that it doesn't have.
    @ Helidos

How about true multi-tasking? I am not aware of any other smartphone that does it as well as the Pre. Aside from that there isn't any function I need that some other phone can do that the Pre can't.

But if you buy a new car every year, a new TV every six months, and a new computer every quarter, then I could see how you might feel that way.
    [QUOTE=pastorrich1;2541228]@ Helidos

How about true multi-tasking? I am not aware of any other smartphone that does it as well as the Pre. Aside from that there isn't any function I need that some other phone can do that the Pre can't.

But if you buy a new car every year, a new TV every six months, and a new computer every quarter, then I could see how you might feel that way.[/QUOTE.]

Android has true multitasking. It just doesn't look like webos because guess what its not webos. Just because you have gotten use to the way webos multitask doesn't mean the way others used it on different platforms isn't.

And were talking about a phone. Not a car, tv, etc... but a phone.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 07/06/2010 at 09:01 AM.
    @ koolkid09

Yes we are talking about a phone, and just like all of the other technologies I listed the market changes fast. If in fact the Pre is so outdated then surely those who feel that way are consistent in updating all their other outdated technologies.

But quite honestly these forums are not here for people to come and whine that they don't have Flash or any other innovation they think they need right now. They exist for those who wish to get the most out of what they have. <deleted by mod>

This isn't a flame or rude reply or anything of the sort. It is just a simple request to show a little common courtesy for why this site exists and the users who are here for those reasons.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/06/2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: rude
    @ UntidyGuy

No it doesn't... Unless of course there is a universally accepted definition for outdated technology. If you want to state that an Atari 2600 is an outdated gaming platform based on the current available technology then few would argue. However if you try to place the Pre in that same category you have a much more difficult case to prove.

If someone wants to compare the technical specs on the Pre to other smartphones, this is not the best place to do it and I haven't seen any objective technical data in this thread to come any where near serving that purpose.
    I will admit, I am only 30 days into my Palm Pre Plus adventure, but so far, I am really enjoying the device. This last weekend, I was comparing my "new" Pre Plus with my cousin's Droid Incredible... I really didn't feel like I was missing much.

The guys at work (I work for a technology company) have joked from day 1 that the Pre Plus is the phone for me. With a great homebrew community and elegant OS, I don't feel like my phone is outdated at all.

Here is my short list of likes and dislikes:

1. Form Factor - it is small and fits great in my pocket
    2. Homebrew Community
    3. Overclocking!!
    4. Elegant and Intuitive OS

Dislikes:
    1. Battery Life - it is pretty ugly
    2. Lack of market share translates into a lack of several popular apps (I am a gamer, and Blizzard has several apps for Android and Iphone....nothing for WebOS)

For ME, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages...
    I shop at Amazon.com because Best Buy is outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    LOLWUT there is not one single thing the pre does that another smart phone can not do.

The phone is outdated plan and simple...
    There is not one thing that a 2010 Chevy does that a 2009 Chevy does. And Ford does all that stuff too.

So do I need to buy a new car every year? And which brand is outdated if they do all the same stuff? I'm so confused now, so please help me choose a car before the 2011 models come out and I have to buy another one. Or should I wait for 2011 because the 2010 models are all outdated by what car makers are planning to release this fall?

Please help!
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    @ Helidos

The pre makes multitasking LOOK good and easy that's all... many phones/ OS's were multitasking before webos came around... And drop the true bit... It either does multitask or it doesn't there is no true/false multitasking.

But if you buy a new car every year, a new TV every six months, and a new computer every quarter, then I could see how you might feel that way.
    It has nothing to do with buying something new for a status symbol the damn phone was outdated hardware wise 5 days after release by the 3gs...

I got the pre on June 6th... Enjoyed using it tinkering, patching etc etc.. but now its just a phone it does nothing exciting worth using it beyond a phone and a calendar. App selection sucks nothing worth buying, went back to carrying a real camera since the camera and app are crap at best... Don't get me wrong it takes pretty good pics/video if you can get the app open in time to not miss the shot, or have the video bug and be missing sound, or part of the video you recorded.

Who knows maybe HP will help palm make a really nice piece of hardware to make webos shine but right now the pre/webos is crap unless you homebrew it to today's current standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    I dislike the over-used word "outdated". It's not outdated if it still does what you "need" it to do. Plain and simple.
    I agree. As I look at the phones I could buy today - the Pre Plus still meets my needs better than anything else... so I guess my needs are outdated?

One should always choose their carrier first. That means Verizon for me. Even if/when they offer EVO-like stuff on Verizon, Android has enough issues - based on MY needs - that I will stick with Pre Plus. When my contact is up, I will consider others. If nothing meets my needs better, I'll keep going with the Pre Plus. There is nothing that REQUIRES me to buy an upgrade. I could always go back to my Centro if my business travel were to change. A 3G hotspot was the compelling reason for me to upgrade from Centro to Pre. All other requirements I have are met by the Centro, and in some cases the Centro meets them better than the Pre.

Palm, are you listening? Feature parity with Centro is a must by the time you hit webOS 2.0. That will solve about 95% of the complaints people have (other than the hardware...)

To be fair, it's hard for me to recommend Palm unless I know they like fiddling with their PCs and Gadgets. If they are planning to use it stock, and are coming from another smartphone (like blackberry) and don't like to customize... it's hard to recommend it. Fortunately, most of my friends are geeks so I promote my Pre Plus to them all the time. They don't see it as outdated when I show them what it can do...BTW.

Ps. I like the Pre Plus hardware just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    the pre is outdated but so is the moment, so the bb guy is a moron
    The best buy person was a moron... yes the pre may have things that aren't up to snuff- but saying a phone is outdated is speak for 'I don't know diddly about what I am talking about, and we sell newer stuff that I do know about.'

He shouldv'e gotten the pre- however, the way i feel about friends and phones- what works for me, may not work out well for them. If they get a phone I recommend, and hate it, I become the jerk that told them to get a crap phone.... i only lay out options and give pros/cons and leave my opinion. ie. female friend of mine debated a pre plus or curve- of course I swayed webOS but she still got the curve and shes perfectly happy with it. Ignorance is bliss i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Meh, chalk this up as a learning experience. He'll soon learn that most Samsung products are garbage.
    Besides phones (and that can be blamed on OS choice) explain this? Right now I'm using a 53'' LED LCD TV that is completely badass, I fail to see how Samsung makes garbage?
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Besides phones (and that can be blamed on OS choice) explain this? Right now I'm using a 53'' LED LCD TV that is completely badass, I fail to see how Samsung makes garbage?
    I think he meant in the mobile phone market. Some of their mobile devices have been plagued with issues, never received much needed updates, etc...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    I honestly think the touchstone is a waste of money.
    Sorry, strongly disagree... best purchase ever... one for home, one for work, and one for auto. YMMV though.
    Sanyo 8100 => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Pre (all on Sprint)
    The pre makes multitasking LOOK good and easy that's all... many phones/ OS's were multitasking before webos came around... And drop the true bit... It either does multitask or it doesn't there is no true/false multitasking.

I would argue differently.

Android uses a "first in, first out" method for pushing apps out of memory when something newer needs the space. This is one of the reasons why users need an app to "stop" tasks. Sure, some of them don't stop because they are poorly written. Unfortunately the user doesn't know which ones they are because the aren't identified that way in the app store. Also, as Android pushes apps out of memory, it isn't necessarily pushing out the entire app for the same reason. Interoperability between apps is also an important part of the definition. An app needs to be able to create and manage links - for example: tasks and appointments tied together so creation/deletion in one is reflected in the other. Not the end of the world, but hardly what I'd call "true" multi-tasking if those issues aren't addressed.

In terms of the iPhone, they are doing what we did with a product called Software Carrousel back in the days of MS-DOS. No one would argue that maintaining state and swapping programs qualifies for multi-tasking.

Just my two cents...
    +1 on Samsung making really good stuff. The Samsung electronics I have are excellent and cost effective. No complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Doesn't this forum also exist so that people who are trying to decide what phone to get don't unknowingly buy an outdated Pre?
    I'm thinking it's more so they can get help and maximum value from their Pre, and help others along after them...

... oh, and to read dbd's funny posts.
    but right now the pre/webos is crap unless you homebrew it to today's current standards.
    This is completely true. Take out this community and webos internals and this phone and webos are VERY lackluster. This is by far the most organized and supportive community for any phone I have "customized".

BTW... for those banging the 1GHz gong... I have had overheating and intermittent touch screen failures on the last two Pre's I have OC'd (and only to 720). I have only OC'd two Pre's (again only to 720 screen state) and both have had issues very commonly related to OCing. It took a couple months for them to start experiencing issues and they progressively got worse. This fortunately is not a huge deal since the Pre's fail so much that Sprint swaps them out without thinking twice about it.

@pastorrich1...

Your prejudice is showing...
    Depending on one's preferences, any phone on its own is very lackluster. For some of us, without jailbreaking, the iPhoneOS was very lackluster and I fiddled with it just as much as I do the Pre. IMO, as a Sprint user, the most significant and hard to do without contribution of the homebrew community is overclocking, with my specific preference now being the F102A kernel for its simplicity. 1Ghz is completely above the realms of needs for myself. Most of the other things I have on my phone are related to ease of use modifications and cosmetic prerefences (with the exception of things such as the MHS on Sprint or Video Downloads), things that bring no additional functionality to the phone and merely quicken the process of existing applications. So to say that the phone would be lackluster without the homebrew available would not be entirely inaccurate for my usage...but to say it would be lackluster compared to the multitude of applications and current specs of devices such as the iPhone 4, the Evo, upcoming Epic would be entirely accurate. The Pre on specs alone is incredibly outdated.

But it's still ten times better than the Moment, which took months to update to Android 2.2 and will not be upgrading to Android 3.0 in the winter as it lacks the necessary specifications. So within a year of its release, the phone will be consider outdated to even its own software providers while the Pre is at least going strong. This is of course due to little choice on the part of Palm, which has no new hardware to obsolete the Pre/+ in terms of software upgrades, but it is something that steers me away from the direction of Android.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast