Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'll admit, I was very excited about the EVO. However, once using it for a few weeks I missed the user friendly interface of the Pre.

If the Pre was faster, had voice activated everything (like the Evo does), I would never have switched in the first place.

On top of the 10 dollar fee added per month for the Evo, and then loading webpages started freezing up- that was my last straw for the Evo.

I'm officially glad to be using my Pre once again. Hopefully I won't have to take it back for the umpteenth time (physical quality was always lacking).
    Traitor!

Its all about personal taste and what phone suits you best. If its the Pre , enjoy your pre The Pre is not a bad phone and it is very easy to use.
    We told you so!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I just did the same thing.. tried the EVO for 28 days.. loved it. But Im still coming back to my Pre. WebOS is fantastic and cant be beat yet from my daily use. Plus with the overclocking kernels, my phone is plenty fast now
    Not me, i'll keep the Evo!
    Last edited by kinster02; 07/05/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    the f105 kernel will run your Pre at 1ghz. Is that fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Sigh...its getting old when people say "well my overclocked phone is at 1ghz!"

Its not comparable. Lets just get it out of the way. The UI performance on an Evo is way beyond a Pre. Not heart break, no ******, no nothing. Its a fact.

Other things are up to debate. This is not.
    if it's getting old, just ignore it, I ignore old stories,facts and stuff. You could too, BTW are you going to say the same thing when a webOS phone that uses a CPU running at 1ghz stock, will show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Its not comparable. Lets just get it out of the way. The UI performance on an Evo is way beyond a Pre. Not heart break, no ******, no nothing. Its a fact.

I don't agree. The OP referred to speed being a major difference. It's reasonnable to find out if he overclocked his pre and if it still feels slower. Personally I compared my 1ghz pre to my neighbor's Evo and I saw the pre being just as fast.

do I wish palm would ship them overclocked? Sure. In this case, he isn't making a purchase decision based on clock speed. He owns both, and as a PC member he is likely to be aware of overclocking. So it's a fair question to ask 'is the Pre fast enough when overclocked?' or does the pre still feel slower.

so there
    You can't be serious? Show me a video of the Pre being on the same responsive level as an Evo. My Pre is overclocked and its simply not there. This is across everything including the speed at which an app opens.

I mean, if yours does...you have a magical Pre that i wish i had. But lagginess of the OS (overclocked or not) has simply been one of my biggest beef for the year i had a pre. Watching my buddies Evo (who came from a Pre as well) just makes me jealous.
    I think a post like this is trolling. A random first time member posting something like this is suspect.
    I switched back and forth between the Hero and Pre... regularly... it was close Nd both had their pros/cons... but the EVO (on 2.1) is just light years ahead of the Pre. The Pre has the nice fluid UI of webs... and that's it... crappy hardware, sluggish performance, lack of features, etc...
    I had the EVO up until 2 days ago. it is an awesome phone, I didnt want to give it up but I have court fines and I got 480 bucks for my EVO and got a pre for 110, so it was a move I had to make.

I have only used the pre in the stores, I do like it and am still kind of excited to get this >1yr old phone, but I will definitely miss the evo.

as to the question of if his pre was OC'd, theres people running 1.2GHz evos with jit enabled that are getting close to double the score in linpack as a stock evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    It's more complicated than that. Perhaps the f105 kernel on the Pre+ makes a big dent. But on the lowly Pre w/less memory, it doesn't matter how fast the kernel is if you're swapping to flash. Even with compcache, you can (and do) still swap to flash. Swapping to flash is something like 10,000 times slower than using RAM (literally). That alone, will completely kill performance. And it doesn't matter how fast the kernel is operating.

More RAM would help a *LOT* in the performance of the Pre. Next WebOS device I'd like to see 1GB RAM and a 1GHz CPU. I suspect that would go a long way towards smoothing up the performance of WebOS. But I don't know. Java is a mystery to me. And the JVM might have a huge influence on the user experience.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one. Did anyone on the Android team have a UI plan? Too inconsistent for my tastes...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one. Did anyone on the Android team have a UI plan? Too inconsistent for my tastes...
    Sense UI is pretty damn consistant. 3rd party apps, sure not as much.

Stock android, sure.....but they also have Mathis designing a new UI for android.

But eitherway, are you saying the Palm Pre UI style is more important then the speed of the device?
    The Evo is really nice on the hardware side. Awesome display and obviously really fast. This can't be denied. I've always stated that the short-comings of my Pre was the hw. WebOS however, is much better than Android. This is the sole reason why I did not get an Evo. Although it is really fast and it does feel faster than the Pre, Android is still not WebOS. Multi-tasking was ridiculous with the Evo/Android. Just not user friendly at all. It's a step backwards. It's very obvious that multi-tasking was not thought of when Android was designed.

Multi-tasking and the elegance of the UI on WebOS is just above Android (by far in my opinion). I don't know whether or not Android has something like Synergy in WebOS but it's not a deal breaker for me either (but if Android doesn't, I'd definitely miss it).

Faster or not, the UI is just terrible on Android. Evo is plenty faster than my Pre but I'm not going to complain about a new device being faster than my +1yr old device. That's the norm. I'd complain if I had an Evo and it wasn't faster than the +1yr old device.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    If the Pre is sooooo good like some of you are saying, then why, may I ask, did Palm nearly fail and need a bailout by HP? Could it be the bad hardware since the UI is so godly? Maybe people just don't know how good the Pre is? My Pre is nice, but up against iPhone and the latest Android phones, it's embarrassing. Palm is right back where they were before the Pre came out, which is at the bottom of the smartphone world. Now that they're part of a real company, maybe they'll get to put out an amazing phone so fast that they'll actually be able to keep up, cus ya know...Life Moves Fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    If the Pre is sooooo good like some of you are saying, then why, may I ask, did Palm nearly fail and need a bailout by HP? Could it be the bad hardware since the UI is so godly? Maybe people just don't know how good the Pre is? My Pre is nice, but up against iPhone and the latest Android phones, it's embarrassing. Palm is right back where they were before the Pre came out, which is at the bottom of the smartphone world. Now that they're part of a real company, maybe they'll get to put out an amazing phone so fast that they'll actually be able to keep up, cus ya know...Life Moves Fast.
    Hardware is def a factor. I think even Palm acknowledged that hw and marketing were both a factor. Marketing alone was full of FAIL!

Obviously, a +1yr old device shouldn't be able to keep up with the latest devices. The latest Android and Iphones are plenty fast, etc. Speed is an issue but there will always be a faster phone. Does it matter on the grand scheme of things? Probably matters more to the marketing companies but on a daily basis, the users need a good amount of speed but will get surpassed by the next greatest thing (which seems to be happening every few months).

WebOS works for me (so much more than Android). Do I wish it was faster and had better hw? Absolutely. My Pre is showing her age. The hw is still kicking but probably not for another 6months. My Pre def needs better hardware and I'll be waiting for HP/Palm to send some new hw my way.

I've said it before many times: Get WebOS onto some that Evo-type hw and that's a flagship phone.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast