Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1.    #81  
    I came on here, sort of on a whim to have a catharsis- of how I missed my Pre. Little did I know this thread would have received so much attention.

To the people who were asking if I made my Pre faster, or did any modifications to it- no I didn't.

When I was talking about it being slow, or lagging- it's when I type in a number to dial it, it seems to lag a bit. Compared to the Evo, it was a bit slower.

I'm almost on my 2nd week with my old Pre, and I don't miss the EVO at all. I can compare the EVO to one of those Casio watches from the early 90's or late 80's with the compass in the band, temperature gauge, heartbeat monitor, altimeter, barometer, etc.. Whereas the Pre is more like a calculator watch, a bit more practical. Or I can compare the Iphone to Reebok pumps, the Pre to Nike Pump shoes (yes they made those), and the EVO to Nike Shox LOL, that's my rationale.

I do miss the voice activated txt messaging and google search. It's easier and safer to search for something when driving. I guess that's what 800-GOOG-411 is for

Seriously, if you've had your Pre for over a year, and go to the EVO, there is a lot to miss..
    Quote Originally Posted by AJV223 View Post
    Seriously, if you've had your Pre for over a year, and go to the EVO, there is a lot to miss..
    I've had my Pre (counting all the replacements) since launch day; so more than a year. I have an EVO now and I can tell you that I don't miss much about the Pre. About the only thing that I miss is the Touchstone, since I really hate wires dangling from stuff, but not enough to even consider the Touchstone mod and give up my warranty and some of the compas-based apps that I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Once WebOS 2.0 comes out, one of the major issues they've had, responsiveness (more so on the original Pre than the Pre+), will be gone.
    How do you know this? Not bashing, really just asking.

If HP and Palm get 2 or 3 killer devices, plus a tablet, out this year, and actually ADVERTISE it, I think they will make quite the comeback because, like Apple, there is a market for the user experience they offer, one that is completely different than Android.
    This alone will not solve the issues (though it will help). There is a lot of "bad taste in your mouth" that needs to be recovered from, so it's going to take good devices, yes, but lots of work as well (courting developers, rebuilding their rep, etc.)
    WebOS 2.0 will include acceleration of the GUI and the use of a faster Java system (forget the details off the top of my head, and I'm not a Java guy...C for me!). PreCentral had an article about the things coming in WebOS 2.0. It will also include the long awaited microphone API's and direct access to the camera.

Palm has a strong following and a lot of Palm fans have actually not yet taken the leap to Palm's current offerings. Many of the switchers have already stated they would come back for a top notch device.
    WebOS 2.0 will include acceleration of the GUI and the use of a faster Java system (forget the details off the top of my head, and I'm not a Java guy...C for me!). PreCentral had an article about the things coming in WebOS 2.0. It will also include the long awaited microphone API's and direct access to the camera.

Palm has a strong following and a lot of Palm fans have actually not yet taken the leap to Palm's current offerings. Many of the switchers have already stated they would come back for a top notch device.
    I see. My guess is you mean JavaScript, but OK. I'll have to go dig up that article. Thanks.

True, but that won't be enough according to the market share numbers that came out for the last quarter (before the major "switch-causing devices" were available). My guess is things will be even worse for this quarter. So...lots of catching up to do despite their "strong following".

By the way, I was one of those strong followers (Pilot to Pilot Vx to Treo 600 to Treo 650 to Treo 755p to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to EVO). There are still some Pres in the family though but all indications are that those will be traded as well. So Palm/HP have their work cut out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    (Pilot to Pilot Vx to Treo 600 to Treo 650 to Treo 755p to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to Palm Pre to EVO)
    LMAO! I feel your pain. I had fairly good luck with mine (1 replacement I think before getting an EVO)... but my wife has been through 7-8 now I think...

I only attribute my low count to the fact that I seemed to have been pretty lucky on the device I received at launch. It lasted me 7 months, I think. I actually went through 2 during that replacement since I returned one immediately due to oreo effect and another due to a faulty headset jack. I've actually done this a few times while replacing my wife's Pre as well. It seems that once you get on the "refurb program" it's a complete crap shoot and you will likely be replacing them regularly. My wife is actually complaining in the past week that she needs it replaced again... and she is "tired of replacing her phone" (and that is saying something when I handle it ALL for her).
    BTW... After waiting for a year on webOS to "catch up" or deliver on things needed for the platform. I am 100% taking a "I'll believe it, when I see it" approach with regards to webOS and Palm. They are just moving too slow (imo).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    See the graphic, says a lot...
    I agree with your point. What I wonder about (with regards to Android) is how many people in the general public would answer HTC, Motorola, LG or w/e.

For example, how many people understand that there are different "Droid" phones made by both HTC (Incredible) and Motorola (Droid/Droid X). Palm's brand is similar to Apple in that they represent both the hardware and software as one "brand". That makes things much easier for the average consumer to identify with (and respond to).

I know 4 out of 5 people I know (friends, family, coworkers, etc) probably would be unsure of which phones relate to HTC/Motorola and might even answer Apple (Iphone) because they easily recognize it.

That is what would scare the hell out of me if I was Palm.
    Agreed.

most of my non tech friends think Droid is one phone. One in particular had NO idea there were multiple Droid devices on verizon let alone know what Android was.

Amazing.
    Most I know have moved beyond the iPhone question. When they see my evo they ask if it's a Droid phone. I'm fine with the Droid name being thrown around. Good marketing by Verizon, and they're not going to sue the general public for calling Android phones outside of Verizon a Droid.
    Thats true. I call android a droid device sometimes just cause it just works haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Most I know have moved beyond the iPhone question. When they see my evo they ask if it's a Droid phone. I'm fine with the Droid name being thrown around. Good marketing by Verizon, and they're not going to sue the general public for calling Android phones outside of Verizon a Droid.
    I agree. It was VERY good marketing by Verizon to attach a singular name to multiple devices for brand recognition. So even in 12 months, people will still recognize Droid as the Brand when they are using a completely different device.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345