Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    LMAO. This might be the most off base post yet...

Android (specifically Sense and the EVO) has a significantly more advanced/intricate (however you want to phrase it) UI than webOS.

It has 7 homescreens running with links, widgets, apps, etc. at all times...

I mean this is the primary basis for which most webOS users base their complaints about the "clunkyness" of Android. There is too much UI... and it is not as "simple" as webOS.
    So in other words, you didn't even bother reading the original post and instead decided to mock the poster even though he/she was correct? Wow... I guess what you should do is write your exact post about yourself because you describe yourself to a T.
    Because it is not identical... other than some similarities in the manner in which it is used/controlled visually by the end user.

Stop ignoring the part of the argument you do not wish to address (the technical "behind the scenes" aspects of multitasking).
    Well.. if you want to get into the nitty gritty behind it, the ACTUAL multitasking between the two operating systems is extremely similar as they are both based on their PC counterparts. The kernels differ slightly in how they handle background process control and obviously interrupt timings are different. I still don't see how this vague rebuttal can be used as substantial evidence of the original post. To avoid a post war, this is my last post about this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuasi View Post
    So in other words, you didn't even bother reading the original post and instead decided to mock the poster even though he/she was correct? Wow... I guess what you should do is write your exact post about yourself because you describe yourself to a T.
    Have you been following along?
    I never mocked the original post/poster.
    In fact, I don't believe I ever disagreed (in this thread) with the original post/poster.

I simply laughed and stated my opinion that this statement (below) seemed completely off base considering the general consensus of each platform. It seemed like a simple and thoughtless rebuttal that even he likely did not truly agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuasi View Post
    Well.. if you want to get into the nitty gritty behind it, the ACTUAL multitasking between the two operating systems is extremely similar as they are both based on their PC counterparts. The kernels differ slightly in how they handle background process control and obviously interrupt timings are different. I still don't see how this vague rebuttal can be used as substantial evidence of the original post. To avoid a post war, this is my last post about this subject.
    Seems odd... If you were going to draw that conclusion based off of their "PC counterparts" I would think you would have stated webOS and Android are nearly identical... considering they are both based off of the linux kernel...

Where as WM is based off of the Windows CE kernel, which is a "distinct operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows".
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 04:29 PM.
    lol, this thread.
    Seems odd... If you were going to draw that conclusion based off of their "PC counterparts" I would think you would have stated webOS and Android are nearly identical... considering they are both based off of the linux kernel...

Where as WM is based off of the Windows CE kernel, which is a "distinct operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows".
    Linux has been ARM compatible for years, where Windows (Desktop) is not. Windows CE was designed originally for low powered ARM devices, which is why it isn't as similar to it's desktop counterparts as Linux is in webOS and Android.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Linux has been ARM compatible for years, where Windows (Desktop) is not. Windows CE was designed originally for low powered ARM devices, which is why it isn't as similar to it's desktop counterparts as Linux is in webOS and Android.
    Which would still make webOS and Android more "similar/identical" than WM would be to either?
    Can someone please hold a decent conversation about the subject line of this thread without derailing to a flame war? Anyone have any comments on any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    I'm contemplating a switch from the Pre to the EVO, maybe those of you who have done it can help me out. I'm currently running both a Pre and an iPod touch in order to do the things I need, and the last straw is the horrible bluetooth audio quality when pairing to the blackberry media gateway in my car using my pre. I put a patch request in to see if we could fix the issue since I read a thread where someone nailed down what is causing the bad audio, but it seems no devs are willing to look into it.

I LOVE webOS and do not want to switch. These are the things I love and what I'm worried about finding a way to live without on the EVO:

Synergy - Unified contacts? Facebook friends in my contacts list? All my calendars showing on one calendar? Unified inbox? Is any of this possible or not a big deal on the EVO/android?

Universal search - I love on the pre that I can just start typing someones name or phone number and call/txt/email them. I NEVER open my phone or contact apps. Is there anything similar on the evo?

What I HATE about my pre that I am hoping will be solved with the EVO: (If there is a way to fix this on my Pre PLEASE let me know)

No good remote desktop app (LogMeIn, RDP, etc.) I am currently using Teamviewer on my iPod touch tethered to my Pre. I have heard there are good remote desktop apps for android.

HORRIBLE bluetooth audio quality - sounds like crunching paper while I listen to any audio source over real speakers. Others have noted this is b/c of a limited bluetooth bandwidth and how much the pre compresses it for this limitation to conserve CPU power and ultimately battery life.

Cannot listen to voicemails from my work phone. They are WAV files not encoded with GSM, so that patch did not work. iPod/iPhone plays them fine.

No ActiveDirectory app on the Pre

No Nagios app on the Pre

No "today screen" or widgets on the Pre

Cannot customize my lockscreen on the pre to display calendar information like I could with S2U2 on my WinMo device.

I don't think there is a device out there that will do everything I want, but I am trying to find what will be best for me, and right now the Pre cannot do a lot of what I need, or I just don't know how to do it. What do you Evo/Pre swappers think?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    LMAO. This might be the most off base post yet...

Android (specifically Sense and the EVO) has a significantly more advanced/intricate (however you want to phrase it) UI than webOS.

It has 7 homescreens running with links, widgets, apps, etc. at all times...

I mean this is the primary basis for which most webOS users base their complaints about the "clunkyness" of Android. There is too much UI... and it is not as "simple" as webOS.
    with ui, too much is a step backwards in design. Too much causes confusion and distracts focus.
    Not to mention even Google has come out and admitted they aren't consistent in their UI elements throughout the entire OS, that Froyo was one step further in that direction, but it won't be until Gingerbread comes out that this will be fully addressed. But noooo, they have the best UI. Sense UI is definitely a big improvement, but it certainly isn't part of the actual OS, or even made by Google. In fact, they don't even want it on their "With Google" branded devices.
    My fiance and I both bought Pres on launch day and combined we have gone through nine refurbs/replacements. This is completely unacceptable and from what I see around here, very common. It has to be the number one complaint about the pre and a very significant one at that. I love the way WebOS works... when it works. Multitasking and cards are the bee's knees but I just can't enjoy it when I'm constantly getting "tmc" or extreme lagging.

Overclocking works pretty well but considering how many times I've had to have my phone replaced, I can't risk losing my warranty. I'm at the point now where I'll take a less than satisfactory OS paired to superb hardware than spend another day with my pre.

Considering what I've gone through, I can't blame anyone for making the switch and being happy about it. I think we all agree once WebOS is on a solid piece of hardware Apple needs to look out. Hopefully that time comes soon cause Palm cannot afford to put out another product like the pre and expect to hang with the big boys.
    Last edited by rbrown22; 07/09/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    I highly doubt either Apple or Google need to "look out" if HPalm ever gets around to releasing a top notch WebOS handset. Both companies are building complete ecosystems (e.g. Google Music launching with Gingerbread, iTunes, etc.) and have mature app markets now. Oh, and major carrier support.

WebOS has...some Gameloft 3D game ports, developer disinterest, no content partnerships, and an immature SDK that has yet to be completed over a year later. And every carrier disses or is lukewarm on it.
    Though, in fairness, Palm does have a better shot at surviving (in some form) now that HP has purchased them. How long Palm will remain a distinctive brand remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    with ui, too much is a step backwards in design. Too much causes confusion and distracts focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Not to mention even Google has come out and admitted they aren't consistent in their UI elements throughout the entire OS, that Froyo was one step further in that direction, but it won't be until Gingerbread comes out that this will be fully addressed. But noooo, they have the best UI. Sense UI is definitely a big improvement, but it certainly isn't part of the actual OS, or even made by Google. In fact, they don't even want it on their "With Google" branded devices.
    I agree but the context of my response was directly related to a "quip" that It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one. in reference to the "responsiveness" of the Android UI.
    All it takes is that one must-have device to catapult Palm into the upper echelons of the smart phone market. WebOS is hands down the slickest way to interact with all the features phones are capable of. As of yet the competition has not come close to providing an OS that can handle the multitude of features we use daily as seamlessly as Palm.

WebOS is the only thing we can take away from the PRE experiment. It was a major factor in HP buying out Palm and will be seen in other mediums. We've already heard talk about WebOS tablets, netbooks and web-enabled printers. How long do you think before Palm powered IPod rival is out there?

The same environment Apple created is slowly become visible at Palm. They've got the key with WebOS and HP has realized this. I'm running away from my PRE because of hardware and performance issues until I see WebOS on a superior piece of hardware.

Hopefully with HP backing we can start to see some key features come to a Palm branded phone. I'm talking about HD video recording, Super AMOLED screens, a better processor and tighter craftsmanship. Package that with WebOS and you've got a phone that would run circles around anything Apple or Google can put out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrown22 View Post
    All it takes is that one must-have device to catapult Palm into the upper echelons of the smart phone market....
    Isn't that what the Pre was supposed to be? The blogsphere exploded with stories of Palm's big comeback when the Pre was announced. I hope you are right, but I suspect it will take more than the next "must-have" device. There is a long, uphill, road ahead for webOS and thinking it will be easily traveled by simply releasing a nice device is a bit shortsighted.
    It will be a long road to just be considered a niche OS but it has to start somewhere and that has to be with a new device. The longer they wait the harder it gets. Dont forget that Giungerbread will be extremly easier to use and since its being developed by the designer of WEBOS who is works for Google now. And later next year ( I think) the new WindowsMobile 7 will be out and word is it will be a much less clunky and easier to use OS. The whole argument for WEBOS being nicer and easier to use will go out the window when Google releases ginger bread.Hopefully HP gets a device out by years end. If they lose that element and cant say there easier then other OS's why would people switch . I got to think HP is going to get something out by 1st qtr 2011 the latest.
    Palm is where Android was a couple of years ago, but with a better overall OS. Once WebOS 2.0 comes out, one of the major issues they've had, responsiveness (more so on the original Pre than the Pre+), will be gone. I would argue that the AT&T Pre+ is where the hardware needed to be last year. But it this was from a Palm scratching and clawing to save their company. Now they have big money behind them. I personally think they will release 3 new devices this year (my opinion, nothing more), and I mean this in terms of form factor.

I think they will release a new updated Pre type form factor with a bigger screen and better keyboard (better hardware all around), and I think it will be on Sprint first. I think they will follow with a Moto Droid style slide out slate device in the fall for WebOS 2.0 and follow that up with an improved Pixi like phone. I also think an HP Slate tablet will hit in the fall as well.

If they do this, and release across several carriers during the fall, and limit Sprint exclusiveness to just 3 months, then they will stop what bleeding they currently are having from Sprint Pre users. I think the biggest reason for a number of jumpers is the combination of many users being the "I got to have the latest gadget" crowd, and the fact that the original Pre had too little RAM and too many initial hardware issues. The Pre+ doesn't suffer from this. Mine's 4 months old now without a real issue.

If HP and Palm get 2 or 3 killer devices, plus a tablet, out this year, and actually ADVERTISE it, I think they will make quite the comeback because, like Apple, there is a market for the user experience they offer, one that is completely different than Android.
    October 2008 - Android released on it's first device.
    April 2009 - Android 1.5 (Cupcake) Released.
    September 2009 - Android 1.6 (Donut) Released.
    October 2009 - Android 2.0/2.1 (Eclair) Released.
    May 2010 - Android 2.2 (Froyo) Released.
    Tentatively scheduled for Q4 2010 - Android 3.0 (?) (Gingerbread)

That's a fairly major upgrade every 6 months. And on 3.0 (likely) by the 2 year mark.

My 1.6 Hero had a stronger feature set (but not as "user friendly") than my Pre. 1.6 was at the 1 year point.

Palm needs a growth spurt to fall in-line (catch up) with that release cycle. Perhaps HP will allow them to acquire more resources and speed up their current dev cycle.
    Android is growing (developing) faster than any other mobile OS in history (imo).
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/12/2010 at 10:50 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast