Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    people are likely to be offended by comments like that. Unless you like flame wars, that's not necessary.

if people don't know, show them proof. If it bothers you, avoid it. It's just the internet man, don't let it get personal.
    I evaluated an HTC Incredible a few weeks back. Yes it was very fast, but I didn't like Android but still thought it was nice.

As far as performance goes, my Pre clocked to 1 ghz is smoother when scrolling though the app launcher and web pages compared to the Incredible. Overall the Incredible was slightly faster. Also, with the F105 kernel at 1 ghz the Pre is faster than both the Evo and the Incredible running Android 2.1 using the SunSpider benchmark. Froyo is a different story.

I also believe the Droid X is performing well because of the OMAP3 chipset it is using. Clock for clock I think the TI OMAP3 platform is faster than the Snapdragon. I suspect the OMAP4 will also be faster than the Snapdragon2.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I think the Samsung Humming bird is faster than both of them.

But they are all plenty fast haha. The fact we are talking of dual core CPUs in mobile devices this winter is nuts.
    I was one of the group that bailed on the Pre for the Evo. Was it worth it? Yes. And here's why:

1. Hardware - I went through 4 Pre's in a year. I finally got ahold of a new Pre for my last model, after constant issues with the refurbs, which pushed me away.

2. Software issues - I was a launch day Pre owner, and the phone was great. Granted, over a year, Palm did enough to keep the OS evolving and moving in the right direction, but it still had issues. I got a TMC error almost daily, and even in times when I wasn't using the phone much at all.

3. Limitations - without overclocking the phone, heavy tweaking, or just ignoring some of the glaring issues, I felt that the Evo was the better way to go for me.

With that said, the Evo isn't the be-all-end-all phone to have either. I do see some things that bug me, such as:

- no 7-digit phone number support (won't recognize a number unless all 10 digits are entered)

- inability to search contacts by initials

- shifting on the keyboard is somewhat annoying

- HTC Sense needs to go away, and allow us to have simple vanilla Android

- inability to update all apps at once (fixed in 2.2)

Unfortunately I feel like I'll be waiting around again for 2.2 to arrive to fix the things that annoy me. It's not enough for me to jump back into the Pre, but you find things in both OS's that you like/dislike.
    Until Google updates their stock android...i'm more then happy with Sense.

But different strokes for different folks. I agree though, Sprint needs a stock android phone in their lineup. Verizon has one, AT&T and T-Mobile have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You tried taskOS? It's significantly faster and arguably more intuitive than webOS' card metaphor. As for killing (long unused) apps without required user input, wouldn't that be a blessing to webOS' users unending TMC problem? It sounds like you prefer to live with Pre shortcomings before acknowledging that any other OS might be as good ... Or better. This might very well be the root of the dwindling size of the webOS community - a vocal minority's blind allegiance to sustained mediocrity.
    Same thing can be said to the Android zealots who hijack so many threads on PRECENTRAL.NET. Again, this is PRECENTRAL.NET. So, I would expect that the majority of posters find webOS to be superior to Android and make arguments to that effect.
    I jumped to the EVO..just for the Applications...I DO miss WebOS...there is no UI like it.
    But WebOS DOESN'T have the application selection for ME...

If WebOS get the apps, I'll come running back...

Adam
    I can see it now... WebOS running a 4 series OMAP sporting a dual core 1.2 ghz processor. That would rock especially for it's multitasking nature!
    You tried taskOS?
    I haven't, but I will. I returned my EVO, but still have my G1 and myTouch 3G.

As for killing (long unused) apps without required user input, wouldn't that be a blessing to webOS' users unending TMC problem?
    Or a curse to those who want their applications open until they've manually closed them when they think they should be closed. And, as someone stated above, you simply couldn't be talking about the Pre Plus where 50 open applications has been achieved. TMC no' mo'. Same OS, by the way. Try that on an EVO. See if Android doesn't kill at least half of them.

a vocal minority's blind allegiance to sustained mediocrity.
    Minority? On PreCentral.net?
    Last edited by Razor1973; 07/08/2010 at 10:42 AM.
    too bad my Pre can only open 10 if i'm not doing anything with them then buckles down to if they are actually being used actively.

Hell two web browsers usually starts limiting what else i could open. If only Palm showed the RAM upgrade love to the Sprint customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Hardware is def a factor. I think even Palm acknowledged that hw and marketing were both a factor. Marketing alone was full of FAIL!

Obviously, a +1yr old device shouldn't be able to keep up with the latest devices. The latest Android and Iphones are plenty fast, etc. Speed is an issue but there will always be a faster phone. Does it matter on the grand scheme of things? Probably matters more to the marketing companies but on a daily basis, the users need a good amount of speed but will get surpassed by the next greatest thing (which seems to be happening every few months).

WebOS works for me (so much more than Android). Do I wish it was faster and had better hw? Absolutely. My Pre is showing her age. The hw is still kicking but probably not for another 6months. My Pre def needs better hardware and I'll be waiting for HP/Palm to send some new hw my way.

I've said it before many times: Get WebOS onto some that Evo-type hw and that's a flagship phone.
    So interesting that you said that; I was at the Sprint store buying a phone card for my laptop and spent some time talking to the repair geeks there and the unanimous consensus was the WebOS on the EVO frame would be a serious threat to Iphone and Android.

Got to love those geeks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    This has been discussed over and over. The Android implementation of multitasking is almost identical of that of Windows Mobile since its inception. The OS will kill your applications as it sees fit when resources are needed. webOS will tell you it can't open a new one and it's up to you to kill this application or that one... or none. On top of that, webOS offers a way to switch between or kill open apps visually in a way that hands-down the most elegant and intuitive in the market. This *is* part of every reviewer's "Multitasking" section, even if it's just UI.
    This couldn't be more incorrect and simply shows your ignorance with regards to the platform.

EDIT: On top of that, webOS offers a no way to switch between or kill open apps other than visually...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    I'm contemplating a switch from the Pre to the EVO, maybe those of you who have done it can help me out. I'm currently running both a Pre and an iPod touch in order to do the things I need, and the last straw is the horrible bluetooth audio quality when pairing to the blackberry media gateway in my car using my pre. I put a patch request in to see if we could fix the issue since I read a thread where someone nailed down what is causing the bad audio, but it seems no devs are willing to look into it.

I LOVE webOS and do not want to switch. These are the things I love and what I'm worried about finding a way to live without on the EVO:

Synergy - Unified contacts? Facebook friends in my contacts list? All my calendars showing on one calendar? Unified inbox? Is any of this possible or not a big deal on the EVO/android?

Universal search - I love on the pre that I can just start typing someones name or phone number and call/txt/email them. I NEVER open my phone or contact apps. Is there anything similar on the evo?

What I HATE about my pre that I am hoping will be solved with the EVO: (If there is a way to fix this on my Pre PLEASE let me know)

No good remote desktop app (LogMeIn, RDP, etc.) I am currently using Teamviewer on my iPod touch tethered to my Pre. I have heard there are good remote desktop apps for android.

HORRIBLE bluetooth audio quality - sounds like crunching paper while I listen to any audio source over real speakers. Others have noted this is b/c of a limited bluetooth bandwidth and how much the pre compresses it for this limitation to conserve CPU power and ultimately battery life.

Cannot listen to voicemails from my work phone. They are WAV files not encoded with GSM, so that patch did not work. iPod/iPhone plays them fine.

No ActiveDirectory app on the Pre

No Nagios app on the Pre

No "today screen" or widgets on the Pre

Cannot customize my lockscreen on the pre to display calendar information like I could with S2U2 on my WinMo device.

I don't think there is a device out there that will do everything I want, but I am trying to find what will be best for me, and right now the Pre cannot do a lot of what I need, or I just don't know how to do it. What do you Evo/Pre swappers think?
    Really?
    Windows Mobile vs. Android: WinMo Is Better Than You Think

And you won't, because that can't happen the way Android handles app memory. It will kill an app whenever its memory is needed. And you keep referring to task killers. Multitasking isn't only about killing tasks, it's also about switching between open ones. In Android, you don't switch. You reopen. Or at least pretend you are. T o o m a n y c l i c k s.
    That article is 9 months old (that is a long period in this rapidly growing market)... and he does not even note what versions of each OS he is referencing... and he has a very clear bias which appears to be strongly based on the "maturity" of WM and his experience with it!

And multitasking on a comparative OS level has AT LEAST as much to do with how the OS manages applications, cpu cycles and memory as it does with the manner in which it is (visually) done on a UI level.

You like the elegance in simplicity that webOS UI/navigation offers... I think most get that (and likely agree)... just stop being obtuse and thinking that is the only factor with regards to a mobile OS's ability to multi-task (with limited memory and cpu cycles).
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    This couldn't be more incorrect and simply shows your ignorance with regards to the platform.
    What part is incorrect?
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Its all about personal taste and what phone suits you best. If its the Pre , enjoy your pre The Pre is not a bad phone and it is very easy to use.
    That was the most Honest Post i have ever read on a Message Board... !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm with Kuasi. Enlighten us simple mortals. Don't explain how Android multitasking works, cause there's plenty of documentation on that. Explain how my statement (which you quoted) is ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one. Did anyone on the Android team have a UI plan? Too inconsistent for my tastes...
    LMAO. This might be the most off base post yet...

Android (specifically Sense and the EVO) has a significantly more advanced/intricate (however you want to phrase it) UI than webOS.

It has 7 homescreens running with links, widgets, apps, etc. at all times...

I mean this is the primary basis for which most webOS users base their complaints about the "clunkyness" of Android. There is too much UI... and it is not as "simple" as webOS.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 02:32 PM.
    I'm with Kuasi. Enlighten us simple mortals. Don't explain how Android multitasking works, cause there's plenty of documentation on that. Explain how my statement (which you quoted) is ignorant.
    Because it is not identical... other than some similarities in the manner in which it is used/controlled visually by the end user.

Stop ignoring the part of the argument you do not wish to address (the technical "behind the scenes" aspects of multitasking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    It's easy to make the UI fast when there isn't one. Did anyone on the Android team have a UI plan? Too inconsistent for my tastes...
    Sense UI is pretty damn consistant. 3rd party apps, sure not as much.

Stock android, sure.....but they also have Mathis designing a new UI for android.

But eitherway, are you saying the Palm Pre UI style is more important then the speed of the device?
    I've never used an Android device that had the Sense UI and didn't realize that the EVO had it.

The stock Androids I've used (namely the HTC Dream/G1 and HTC Magic/MyTouch 3G) were very quirky and inconsistent with the UI treatment. (Then again, they're both HTC so maybe that was Sense UI I was playing with.) The first time I picked up an iPhone I figured out how to use it and played with it quite a bit, same with the Pre I tried in a Sprint store before it launched here in Canada. I've tried to pick up and play with my friends' Android devices on several occasions and each time have just given up in disgust. That was the basis of my comment.

To answer your question, yes, the UI niceness is more important to me than raw speed. And screen size. And resolution. And memory capacity. The Pre is s3>< in my pocket and puts a smile on my face most every time I use it. Nothing else I've touched save the iPhone/iPod touch has ever come close. Do I get frustrated when a TMC comes up, or the phone gets sluggish and stuttery on me? Yes. Do I wish it didn't? Ah hell yeah! Is that enough to make me put up with a klunky yet responsive UI? No.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast