Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So far, I see nothing in this thread that warrants closing it. It is in the right forum and everyone is playing nice. If you see a post with profanity, insults, name-calling, etc. just hit the report button.

And as an owner of an EVO and an overclocked Pre, the stock EVO is faster. But as many have said there is a lot more to it than shear speed. Android 2.2 will make the EVO much more responsive. You can root and try it yourself. Plus the new Droid X is much faster than the EVO. Check out the speed tests and video.

In the Android world, you are only the top phone for about 30 days. Then comes the next phone that is faster and better.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/07/2010 at 11:10 AM.
    I too bought the EVO on launch date and had it for a full month. I'd activate my Pre and use it for 2-3 days and then go back to the EVO and back and forth. In the end, I decided the Pre was still the right one for me, so the EVO went back to Sprint 3 days ago.

The things I really missed from the Pre every time I was on the EVO?

• Size. The EVO is simply way too big.

• Physical keyboard. No virtual keyboard can replace it. I still think the iPhone VK is still the best out there, though.

• Multitasking & cards implementation. Nuff said.

• Global search, which is more comprehensive in webOS and customizable via patches.

• Notifications. I like the webOS implementation better than the Android one. Specifically, I like that when you have more than 1 notification of the same type, you can either click on the latest one or the box to go to the list of all, all in one click. And that you still see them on the screen even when the phone is locked.

• IDLE support for IMAP accounts. There are 2 third-party apps in the Android Market that support it (called K-9 and Spider-something), but neither works very well.

• Synergy. Sense UI implements something similar, but it's buggy and some settings don't stick after a reboot.

• Patches, patches, patches. This is one of the things that makes webOS so powerful and Palm was very smart in being quite friendly with the homebrew community. Let's hope HP doesn't see differently.

• $10 of... uh... premium data? What's so premium about it, especially when I live in a city where Sprint still has no 4G? Total BS.

Just to list a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    If the Pre is sooooo good like some of you are saying, then why, may I ask, did Palm nearly fail and need a bailout by HP? Could it be the bad hardware since the UI is so godly? Maybe people just don't know how good the Pre is? My Pre is nice, but up against iPhone and the latest Android phones, it's embarrassing. Palm is right back where they were before the Pre came out, which is at the bottom of the smartphone world. Now that they're part of a real company, maybe they'll get to put out an amazing phone so fast that they'll actually be able to keep up, cus ya know...Life Moves Fast.
    For the same reason that Apple almost failed and needed a bailout from Microsoft and Canon years ago. Sometimes better doesn't have the money to beat bigger...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    For the same reason that Apple almost failed and needed a bailout from Microsoft and Canon years ago. Sometimes better doesn't have the money to beat bigger...
    Apple needed a bailout because they lost what made Apple...Apple.

They were not coming out with anything innovative at all and when Steve Jobs came back, he realized they simply couldn't "beat" Microsoft and did what was the right move for the company. The whole philosophy of the company changed not just money.
    Email notifications seem fine and Android OS does real multi-tasking...just not a creative UI design as WebOS. But you can fast switch apps to your heart is content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    • Notifications. I like the webOS implementation better than the Android one. Specifically, I like that when you have more than 1 notification of the same type, you can either click on the latest one or the box to go to the list of all, all in one click. And that you still see them on the screen even when the phone is locked.
    Am I missing something here? I don't quite understand what you mean by this, and I've had my Pre since August 1st.

By "box", do you mean the notification itself takes you to the appropriate application? I've been trying to figure out how you can handle what to do when you have multiple texts from different people. It only shows you the most recent text, obviously, and since it's the same notification type (SMS) and not SMS + an E-mail, I can't see a list of all of my notifications individually. I've wanted to know how to do this, so that I can choose which text to respond to of the multiple ones that I have received, and not the most recent one (tapping on it takes me straight to that text body, not the Messaging app itself). Is this what you're referring to that the Pre can do? 'Cause if so, this must be some long lost secret and that I've been missing out on for almost a year.
    Maybe a troll, maybe not.

But one of my co-workers has an Evo and it is definitely bigger than I would like. And lack of a physical keyboard is a dealbreaker.

Hopefully HP/Palm will come out soon with improved hardware to compete.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sense UI is pretty damn consistant. 3rd party apps, sure not as much.

Stock android, sure.....but they also have Mathis designing a new UI for android.

But eitherway, are you saying the Palm Pre UI style is more important then the speed of the device?
    To me, UI is MUCH more important than the speed of the phone. I have my Pre overclocked to 800mhz and i've tried the Evo and yes the Evo is faster but Android can't even come close to how thought out and fluid webOS is. I'm sticking with webOS. I don't need the latest, fastest device, i just need a smooth user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    To me, UI is MUCH more important than the speed of the phone. I have my Pre overclocked to 800mhz and i've tried the Evo and yes the Evo is faster but Android can't even come close to how thought out and fluid webOS is. I'm sticking with webOS. I don't need the latest, fastest device, i just need a smooth user experience.
    Its funny though because thats why i'm giving up my Pre. Far too often (again i'm patched up as well) i come across times of having to try to drag down the menu on right side multiple times before my phone realizes what i'm doing. Or to throw away a card only to have it magically pop back up on the screen. Or have to try to throw away a card or multiple times before it actually stops rubber banding on screen.

When the UI/WebOS works its great...but often times in real world use my Pre starts getting sluggish or simply unresponsive.
    Email notifications seem fine and Android OS does real multi-tasking...just not a creative UI design as WebOS. But you can fast switch apps to your heart is content.
    This has been discussed over and over. The Android implementation of multitasking is almost identical of that of Windows Mobile since its inception. The OS will kill your applications as it sees fit when resources are needed. webOS will tell you it can't open a new one and it's up to you to kill this application or that one... or none. On top of that, webOS offers a way to switch between or kill open apps visually in a way that hands-down the most elegant and intuitive in the market. This *is* part of every reviewer's "Multitasking" section, even if it's just UI.
    Android does not do multitasking like Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile commonly runs out of memory. (funny, somethig my Pre does).

Android in 2.1 does NOT need a task killer...it actually handles it pretty much like like iOS does multi tasking. I have not heard of people running out of memory on the Evo or iPhone 4 from multitasking.

Yes, again, WebOS visually elegant...but when the rest of the device hinders my ability to multitask what does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by thatshowido41 View Post
    Am I missing something here? I don't quite understand what you mean by this, and I've had my Pre since August 1st.

By "box", do you mean the notification itself takes you to the appropriate application? I've been trying to figure out how you can handle what to do when you have multiple texts from different people. It only shows you the most recent text, obviously, and since it's the same notification type (SMS) and not SMS + an E-mail, I can't see a list of all of my notifications individually. I've wanted to know how to do this, so that I can choose which text to respond to of the multiple ones that I have received, and not the most recent one (tapping on it takes me straight to that text body, not the Messaging app itself). Is this what you're referring to that the Pre can do? 'Cause if so, this must be some long lost secret and that I've been missing out on for almost a year.
    I didn't quite get what you meant, but what I was referring to was that if you receive an SMS from Contact A, it will show a bar from side to side of the screen with a summary of this SMS (sender and first line). If you then get an SMS from Contact B, that bar will be divided in 2 boxes. The left box contains the total count of SMS's and if you click on it, you're take to the list of all conversations (basically the same thing you get of you open the Messaging app). The larger box to the right contains the summary of the last SMS and clicking on it would take you to that one conversation.
    Really?
    Windows Mobile vs. Android: WinMo Is Better Than You Think
    Guess what? Android operates exactly the same way.
    Android in 2.1 does NOT need a task killer...it actually handles it pretty much like like iOS does multi tasking. I have not heard of people running out of memory on the Evo or iPhone 4 from multitasking.
    And you won't, because that can't happen the way Android handles app memory. It will kill an app whenever its memory is needed. And you keep referring to task killers. Multitasking isn't only about killing tasks, it's also about switching between open ones. In Android, you don't switch. You reopen. Or at least pretend you are. T o o m a n y c l i c k s.
    Last edited by Razor1973; 07/07/2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

Windows Mobile commonly runs out of memory. (funny, somethig my Pre does).

Yes, again, WebOS visually elegant...but when the rest of the device hinders my ability to multitask what does it matter?
    you don't hear people with a pre plus complain running out of memory either. That's more because newer phones have a lot more ram, not because of the os.

if I had ur pre problems often I'd hate the phone too. But I run stock sprint and only see tmc for 3d games or other memory hogs.

also, webos allow multitasking only limited by ram. Over 50+ apps open on a pre plus. Isn't android limited to only 6?
    We can debate this til it becomes a dead horse. Aren't we all saying the same thing, WebOS is a superb system with a very good UI, but every Palm device is inferior when it comes to the latest smartphone hardware? HP/Palm needs to take heed to what many of us are saying and deliver hardware that is worthy of it's super OS. PERIOD
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Isn't android limited to only 6?
    A little off-topic, but not exactly. What you're referring to is the window that shows when you press and hold the Home button. All this shows is the list of the most recently OPENED 6 apps. This doesn't guarantee they're still open. Or that it's showing all that's currently open. It's just that: the last 6 apps you opened. Android does not have a native task manager. Everything is done through third-party apps and they all pretty much suck (I've tried more than 10), at least compared to the webOS implementation, not to mention the fact that no matter how pretty or intuitive you make that task manager, the OS will continue to kill apps as it sees fit. This is my biggest problem with their implementation. And yes, this is IDENTICAL to the Windows Mobile of many, many years ago.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    thanks, I was not sure if android allowed more than 6 open apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Everything is done through third-party apps and they all pretty much suck (I've tried more than 10), at least compared to the webOS implementation, not to mention the fact that no matter how pretty or intuitive you make that task manager, the OS will continue to kill apps as it sees fit.
    You tried taskOS? It's significantly faster and arguably more intuitive than webOS' card metaphor. As for killing (long unused) apps without required user input, wouldn't that be a blessing to webOS' users unending TMC problem? It sounds like you prefer to live with Pre shortcomings before acknowledging that any other OS might be as good ... Or better. This might very well be the root of the dwindling size of the webOS community - a vocal minority's blind allegiance to sustained mediocrity.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    woah, what's with the attack on the webos community? Was that really necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    woah, what's with the attack on the webos community? Was that really necessary?
    It was an observation on the many under-supported, over-blown comments regarding webOS in the cross platform forum. The comment was no more or less necessary than your entire post.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast