Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about buying a Nook. I know my pre offers the ability to read books, but @ age 50, I'm visually challenged....

Just was wondering if anyone has looked into the Nook & any thoughts?
    I'm nearly 10 years older and I also find it hard to read a whole book on the Pre. I'm not having any problems reading the Nook font on medium (tried large and it was bigger than it needed to be).

When I did my research more than 3 months ago, the Nook had more of the features I wanted, plus some indications of new things to come. I like the compatibility with ePub format and I have downloaded hundreds of free classic (read out of copyright) books from the Project Gutenberg site. The Nook runs on an Android platform and there have been 2 OS updates since I bought mine. The updates have sped up the functions, especially page turning and searching through libraries. There is now also a beta web browser (not great yet) and a couple of games added.

The recent price reductions should be great for new buyers (but no help for me). If you have any access to wifi, there is no reason to buy the now more expensive 3G version. I leave mine in airplane mode most of the time to save battery.

Of course, I will still be looking at any new webOS tablets that may be coming out.
    Chose the Kindle as a gift for my wife recently. Cool thing with the Kindle was that it never needs to be connected to a computer. It loads all books for free using its built in GSM signal and works anywhere in the world. The book readers on the PRE were way to small for me. I just got the Kindel app for Android and on the EVO is almost as big as the Kindle so its really nice.
  4.    #4  
    Thanx for the feedback. I'm still debating the decision. I really like to "hold" a book in my hands when I read. Guess I'm a visual/tactile learner??? Anyway, I did try out the Nook @ B&N in one of the "cases" & it is really like holding a book. I do like that I can change the font size as well (I'm sure the Kindle can do this..). The $149 is really attractive...I have access to so much WiFi (home, work & various areas I find myself in) that I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the version w/ 3G.

Have any of you tried to download a book to your Pre & then transferred to your reader?
    I'm sure the $149 price will be hard to beat but I personally wouldn't make the purchase until I see where HP is going with the tablet market. I'm thinking a detailed webOs tablet announcement will be coming by the end of the month.
    I want something that has backlight capability.

maybe when ereaders with pixel qi screens come out
    I've had a nook since January and have loved it. They have been updating it every month and each time it adds really cool features. My wife uses it daily and is starting to replace her library. It also has like 6 different font sizes for your viewing pleasure. Now at $149 it would be hard to pass up. I'm also looking forward to what HP has in store though.
    My wife works for b&n, I bought her one partly so she could help customers with it better (she has a kindle already). I can't get her into ebooks as much as I am. It's a good device, but I use my pre, I used to use my palm pdas... There is even a way to borrow library books in adobe format for the nook if your library supports it. I haven't had time to completely figure it out yet...

yes you can download ebooks to the pre and read them. I use preader which is awesome. I read many out of copyright books also - manybooks.net . I have dled books from many sites paid and otherwise and have been able to read them in supported formats. You might try messing with font sizes in preader you would just have to flip pages more often in a larger font...
  9.    #9  
    I bought a Nook on Wednesday evening, charged that baby up & am using it! Great purchase! The have "free" books (current/popular books) on Fridays & there are many free websites.

Interestingly, the Palm Pre charger (micro usb) is the same size as the Nook...wandering if I could use the car charger while traveling?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I bought my wife a Nook. She loves it. I chose the Nook over the Kindle for 2 reasons. First, you can add up to 16gb of memory to the Nook. Second, you can change the Nook battery yourself (you have to send the Kindle in to have the battery replaced.

The Nook I bought my wife can download books via WiFi, or using AT&Ts 3G system. These services are included in the cost of the Nook, and there are no further monthly charges or contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    I want something that has backlight capability.

maybe when ereaders with pixel qi screens come out
    Backlighting would be great, but I'm sure that the battery life would suffer for it. On my nook, I can go about a week on a single charge and I am reading several times a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    I bought a Nook on Wednesday evening, charged that baby up & am using it! Great purchase! The have "free" books (current/popular books) on Fridays & there are many free websites.

Interestingly, the Palm Pre charger (micro usb) is the same size as the Nook...wandering if I could use the car charger while traveling?
    Congratulations -- I'm sure you will enjoy it. Here is my favorite site for downloading classic ebooks:

Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg
    my wife has nook, loves it

she is not too techy, loves to read in bed and bought a simple nook compatible LED works fine in the dark.

I've played with it and i am impressed, plus they keep beefing up the OS w cool and frequent updates - kind of like webOS, updates are simple over the air.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    Thanx for the feedback. I'm still debating the decision. I really like to "hold" a book in my hands when I read. Guess I'm a visual/tactile learner??? Anyway, I did try out the Nook @ B&N in one of the "cases" & it is really like holding a book. I do like that I can change the font size as well (I'm sure the Kindle can do this..). The $149 is really attractive...I have access to so much WiFi (home, work & various areas I find myself in) that I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the version w/ 3G.

Have any of you tried to download a book to your Pre & then transferred to your reader?
    I bought a book through the Kobo bookstore on my Pre, and was able to side load it on to my nook (which I love) after using Adobe Digital Editions. Obviously the nook and the Kobo app don't synchronize. I had to log in to Kobo website through my computer to download the file, not sure if I'm able to download the file from the Pre directly.
    Sprint Prē & Pixi, and HP TouchPad
    My Wife went over to the dark-side this evening and bought a Nook Color. So far so good and she loves it.

Haven't played with it yet too much, but looking forward to seeing what it can do and curious how will in performs compared to our Palm Pre's. Actually, already tried swiping back when test driving it in the store...so either way I'm hoping HP comes out with something both Kindle and ePub capable. Love the idea of using the Nook though our Public Library and Crossing my Fingers that HP makes it happen.

Let me say it again, make it happen HP...bring on ePub, Kindle, and everything that makes your PalmPad standout above all others. Sorli...
    Pop another $100 in and get the nook color or go kindle.

The nook is heavy and complicated compared to the kindle imo.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Found the answer to my own question concerning the $149 price for the Nook. For a minute I thought you'll were talking about the Nook color and now I realized its the older soon to be discontinued model.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I have the $139 kindle I absolutely love it. It is cheaper and I don't see why it wouldn't be better (unless your talking about the nook color).
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    My wife bought me a Nook Color for my birthday which I promptly rooted to run full Android. It's a great, inexpensive tablet and a very good ereader considering it is backlit. In fact, I'm posting this from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Pop another $100 in and get the nook color or go kindle. The nook is heavy and complicated compared to the kindle imo.
    That's a good point...we bought the Nook Color for $149. Great price and much smoother interface and transitions. I'm also hoping HP makes a smaller PalmPad at a pricepoint similar to the Nook Color. Though $149 is not a bunch of money to build tech devices.

Sorli...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast