Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Also, lets not forget that another investor bought in to Palm right before HP took the deal. They wouldn't have done that if they hadn't been shown a viable plan.

I still say that if Palm, Sprint, and Verizon collectively knew how to advertise, this would all be moot. I think the phone is great, and it was groundbreaking 18 months ago. If they ran merit-based ads about wireless charging, physical keyboard, etc etc back then, they could have taken a lot of android's thunder.

Funny thing is the latest "rule the air" android/verizon ads are looking a lot like Palm's last few ads... a girl walking along without taking her eyes off her phone but magically not bumping in to anyone, and with no clear indication of what she is actually doing.

Proof once again that imitating apple works (original motodroid ads) and trying to be different seldom does...

AT&T seems to get it with their HTC-Aria ads. I wish AT&T would run ads like that for the Pre...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, finding one article where the commentator interpreted what he said doesn't support your contention that all he talked about was the iPhone when talking about the competition...

Let's review what you said:

I maintain your memory is wrong. Here's one where he's talking about Blackberry as the competition:

Obviously, he's talking about BB as competition, or he wouldn't have mentioned them here. There are others, but that will do. Only takes one exception to disprove an absolute.
    Dude, that is more about the employees being trained to sell a new products versus customers choosing a Pre over a Blackberry. Seriously, how many people are going to give up their Blackberrys and go to the Palm Pre?

Do you see Blackberry user's using their Blackberrys as MP3 players as Palm tried so hard to do with the Pre by hacking into iTunes? Or, how the media talked about Palm basing the Pre on the then current 3G when the Palm was unveiled in January. But, being blind-sided by the iPhone 3GS, making the Palm Pre look dated at that point. It was all in the media. But, you must have missed it because you were busy learning Palm's strategy against a business device called the Blackberry.

You totally glossed over how he talked about the price of the Palm vs the iPhone. Did he mention any other smart phone? It was very evident that Palm was basing the Pre on trying to be better than the iPhone. But, think what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Also, lets not forget that another investor bought in to Palm right before HP took the deal. They wouldn't have done that if they hadn't been shown a viable plan.

I still say that if Palm, Sprint, and Verizon collectively knew how to advertise, this would all be moot. I think the phone is great, and it was groundbreaking 18 months ago. If they ran merit-based ads about wireless charging, physical keyboard, etc etc back then, they could have taken a lot of android's thunder.

Funny thing is the latest "rule the air" android/verizon ads are looking a lot like Palm's last few ads... a girl walking along without taking her eyes off her phone but magically not bumping in to anyone, and with no clear indication of what she is actually doing.

Proof once again that imitating apple works (original motodroid ads) and trying to be different seldom does...

AT&T seems to get it with their HTC-Aria ads. I wish AT&T would run ads like that for the Pre...
    Takes more than advertising to make a product succeed. MS has way more money than Palm and no amount of advertising could get people to buy the Zune MP3 players in any significant numbers. A lot of advertising for the Pre would have been a lot of people returning the Pre for shoddy hardware. Have you not seen the posts on here were people talked about the sales people not wanting to sell the Pre because they don't want people to return a phone where they lose their commission? No amount of advertising is going to overcome shoddy hardware.

Physical keyboards are going the way of the floppy disk. Sure, there are people that want them just like their are people that still want a floppy drive on their computer. Plus, who would want to use a physical keyboard in portrait mode? That was one of the most stupidest decisions Palm made with the Pre.

To make an ad about wireless charging? LOL! I'm glad you don't work in advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    iPhone Developer Brags: $1,400 In iAd Revenue In One Day At $150 eCPM
    Dan Frommer | Jul. 8, 2010, 1:43 PM

Apple's iAds have started rolling out, and at least one iPhone developer is enjoying early returns, boasting of making $1,400 in ad revenue on the first day.
    San Diego-based Jason Ting started selling an app yesterday that turns the LED camera flash on the iPhone 4 into a flashlight. The free version of the app is supported by Apple's iAds, and with 9,000 downloads yesterday, made it into the no. 8 spot of free utilities, Ting tells us. Not bad!
    More impressive: The amount of money he claims to have made from Apple's iAds yesterday. He posted this screenshot -- presumably of an iAd dashboard --
    Read more: iPhone Developer Brags: $1,400 In iAd Revenue In One Day At $150 eCPM

I get the feeling that a lot more free iOS apps are coming.
    They are taking a page right out of the Google play book. Create new ways of advertising and then share the revenue with developers and content owners. Brilliant idea. I once worked for a company with a similar strategy - to make the "cottage industry" around our product produce more dollars (and more profit) for the partners than it did for the company selling the core product.

Brilliant idea, worked like a charm. Same for Google, and now for Apple...
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Takes more than advertising to make a product succeed. MS has way more money than Palm and no amount of advertising could get people to buy the Zune MP3 players in any significant numbers. A lot of advertising for the Pre would have been a lot of people returning the Pre for shoddy hardware. Have you not seen the posts on here were people talked about the sales people not wanting to sell the Pre because they don't want people to return a phone where they lose their commission? No amount of advertising is going to overcome shoddy hardware.

Physical keyboards are going the way of the floppy disk. Sure, there are people that want them just like their are people that still want a floppy drive on their computer. Plus, who would want to use a physical keyboard in portrait mode? That was one of the most stupidest decisions Palm made with the Pre.

To make an ad about wireless charging? LOL! I'm glad you don't work in advertising.
    I agree that ads can't prop up a bad product (you must have missed my other post about design risks they took) but bad advertising CAN kill a good product.

And I also said that I don't think the hardware is that bad other than it doesn't have the durability expected from a smart phone. And 18 months ago, it was considered very edgy. So yes, build quality was a problem, but poor advertising meant that very few got a chance to experience the good and bad of the hardware.

And yes, they should have promoted the heck out of wireless charging and other key differentiators instead of positioning it as the perfect phone for "busy moms" and creating image ads with that creepy girl. The iPhone continues to use this strategy, and it's definitely what put the MotoDroid into the stratosphere.

I show this stuff to all my iSheep friends, and they are always impressed. ANd when they run out to buy the wireless charging solutions for their iPhones, they realize that it drastically reduces their reception - which is already pretty bad. But the amount of wireless charging kits being sold for iPhones shows that it is definitely a desirable feature, even if Steve Jobs isn't promoting it. I'm sure he has a team working on figuring out how to do it on the iPhone5 (pictured to the left in my avatar).
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Not ignoring facts. So, after EP investors gave all they could give, is there some law that says that only one VC firm and it's clients can invest in a company? Seems to me that no one else wanted to risk their funds on Palm. As I said originally if they had no other resources, they should have put the company up for sale or go into bankruptcy. Rather than releasing the Pre in the state that they did.
    But you haven't said why. Why would anyone buy a company headed for bankruptcy. The fact of the matter is that by releasing WebOS, no matter the state that you think it was in, made the investors a small profit. Though they no doubt would have preferred a larger one, they did sell at a profit. Something they would not have been able to do before releasing the device and OS.
    Dude, that is more about the employees being trained to sell a new products versus customers choosing a Pre over a Blackberry. Seriously, how many people are going to give up their Blackberrys and go to the Palm Pre?
    It doesn't really matter what it was about, you said he never talked about BB as being the competition. You were wrong.

I know at least one person that was about to buy a BB before the Pre was released - me. I know several that did indeed give up their BBs for Pre. There are several folks on this forum as well.

Do you see Blackberry user's using their Blackberrys as MP3 players as Palm tried so hard to do with the Pre by hacking into iTunes?
    Huh?? Playing MP3's on a Pre has nothing to do with "hacking iTunes". Where do you get this stuff?

You totally glossed over how he talked about the price of the Palm vs the iPhone. Did he mention any other smart phone? It was very evident that Palm was basing the Pre on trying to be better than the iPhone. But, think what you want.
    Not at all. I didn't "gloss over" anything. I merely pointed out that your "only iPhone" myopia is wrong. Rubenstein made it clear that the Pre was competing with all of the other smartphones. That's my point. iPhone was one of them, so was BB.
    But you haven't said why. Why would anyone buy a company headed for bankruptcy.
    Patents? I don't know. I'm so far off of the original topic.... You know what ignore me.
    As far as the app stores are concerned, I think everyone needs to realize that we have preware and the palm supported store. I am hopeful that soon we will have more apps, but in all honesty its not the quantity but the quality and diversity of apps. I have not had an issue finding the right app between preware and the palm app store. I have used the droid market, as my wife has a droid, and sure they may have more apps, but like my pre I do not have trouble finding the apps I need/want.

As for google maps I can see where this would cause an issue for some, but for me it is not. Again for this I am hopeful that this will become a native app as opposed to a glorified web session. Really what I am concerned with is the hardware that is used for palm phones more so then the software. But then again this is just my opinion.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidxit2 View Post
    but in all honesty its not the quantity but the quality and diversity of apps.
    Diversity comes in numbers. Quality of course trumps quantity, but with quantity you have a higher % of quality and choice.
    It doesn't really matter what it was about, you said he never talked about BB as being the competition. You were wrong.

I know at least one person that was about to buy a BB before the Pre was released - me. I know several that did indeed give up their BBs for Pre. There are several folks on this forum as well.

Huh?? Playing MP3's on a Pre has nothing to do with "hacking iTunes". Where do you get this stuff?

Not at all. I didn't "gloss over" anything. I merely pointed out that your "only iPhone" myopia is wrong. Rubenstein made it clear that the Pre was competing with all of the other smartphones. That's my point. iPhone was one of them, so was BB.
    The iPhone was his main focus. From Palm saying that the Pre should cost more than the iPhone because it was better. To them saying when all those original iPhone buyers from June 2007 would be buying the new Pre instead of a new iPhone.

If Blackberrys were discussed, it was on the peripheral. Definitely not their main focus. You can keep putting your head in the sand and keep denying it, but trying to compete against the iPhone was their MAIN objective. That's where a LOT of customers from other platforms was running to and Palm wanted to grab some of those customers.
    The iPhone was his main focus. From Palm saying that the Pre should cost more than the iPhone because it was better. To them saying when all those original iPhone buyers from June 2007 would be buying the new Pre instead of a new iPhone.

If Blackberrys were discussed, it was on the peripheral. Definitely not their main focus. You can keep putting your head in the sand and keep denying it, but trying to compete against the iPhone was their MAIN objective. That's where a LOT of customers from other platforms was running to and Palm wanted to grab some of those customers.
    I recall the elevation guy roger mcnamee saying these things. Palm quickly put a gag on him.

Ruby though hasn't talked much. He even said he never used an iphone.
    The iPhone was his main focus...
    Ahhh, nice to see that you've change your argument. Of course, that wasn't what you said.

However, even that is not what he said. What he said consistently was that Palm was focusing on the growing smartphone market. Their intention was to get new customers from those that were moving from other phones.
    We all know that was a lie. Just another example for Clutch1222 to not believe everything an executive says.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I recall the elevation guy roger mcnamee saying these things. Palm quickly put a gag on him.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
    Ahhh, nice to see that you've change your argument. Of course, that wasn't what you said.

However, even that is not what he said. What he said consistently was that Palm was focusing on the growing smartphone market. Their intention was to get new customers from those that were moving from other phones.
    It seems his focus was WAY off, because he totally missed the growing smart phone market.
    ..Seriously, how many people are going to give up their Blackberrys and go to the Palm Pre?...
    Interestingly, the first two posts I read on the forum this morning were these two:
    Quote Originally Posted by kberube911 View Post
    I just upgraded to the pre plus from verizon. I had the blackberry storm and then the droid eris...
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldudie3 View Post
    Will the Palm Pre Plus work over wifi without a data plan? How about the apps, such as Facebook and Twitter? I am not planning to get a data plan, only a voice and text plan with wifi. I'm switching over from a Blackberry, which I had headaches with apps not working over wifi...
    (emphasis added by me on both) Now, the second one really hasn't changed yet, and may even ultimately not changed (since I suspect he'll have even more difficulty with the Pre since it really does require a data plan), but in short to answer your questions - Yes. Some people are going to give up the BBs for a Pre. Here's a heartbreaker for you, some are even giving up the iPhones for one.
    Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
    More of a lie. Do you really think Rubinstein had never used an iPhone? Or, at a minimum has a Palm employee that he has seen using one.

If Steve Jobs said he has never used Windows, would you believe him?
    Interestingly, the first two posts I read on the forum this morning were these two:

(emphasis added by me on both) Now, the second one really hasn't changed yet, and may even ultimately not changed (since I suspect he'll have even more difficulty with the Pre since it really does require a data plan), but in short to answer your questions - Yes. Some people are going to give up the BBs for a Pre. Here's a heartbreaker for you, some are even giving up the iPhones for one.
    There are people that think that Sarah Palin is an awesome politician. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
    More of a lie. Do you really think Rubinstein had never used an iPhone? Or, at a minimum has a Palm employee that he has seen using one.

If Steve Jobs said he has never used Windows, would you believe him?
    The discussion I was having with you wasn't whether or not he was lying, it was concerning what he said. Or rather, your ridiculous claims about what he said.

So now your statements are switching from what he actually said to what was in his mind when he spoke.

Interesting. Explains a lot though...
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast