View Poll Results: How should APPLE resolve Iphone 4 antenna reception issues?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offer 100% refund

28 41.18%
  • Offer Phone Cases Free for 30 days to iphone 4 consumers

34 50.00%
  • Discredit claims \ ignore

8 11.76%
  • Provide software Solution

11 16.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A little over a week after Iphone 4 release , Apple is being sued for issues relating to the iphone 4 cell reception.
    Plaintiff's claims are ranging from Apple not delivering a product that is "apple" quality to the issue has "diminished" the value of the phone.
    It's no secret that Apple has received a ton of criticism over the quality of the iphone 4. Some of the complaints to date are :
    Reception issues
    Screen discoloration
    Proximity Sensor issue's
    Camera taking yellow pictures.

Do you feel that because of Apple's rise in popularity and market dominance that they are now experiencing a consumer backlash? Do you feel the criticism is legitamite or do you think it is mostly a backlash from people who want to discredit their success?
    I have to admit that I have been put off by many different factors that come into play with Apple. The culture itself is has evolved into a projection of success . People have come to identify their own success or perception of sucess by touting Apple products. Apple has succesfully tapped into the market / demographics of people that buy into the Starbucks, Coach purse(fake or not), Large S.U.V.'s etc. These people identify themselves by the products the consume. Is Apple becoming a victim of their own success?
    I do not identify with Apple culture. I do respect the quality of their products. I understand why they have become popular. The ease of use of Mac OS combined with the honesty and simplicity of Dieter Rams inspired designs results in a work of art. Although i do not have a need for a fool proof computer, or a need my computer to compete with the art on my walls, I can see why many people desire those qualities. Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." He has been able to take artistic concepts and apply them to tech products. By providing superior quality and Aesthetics with their products, Apple has become one of our countries most successful companies.
    I do not want to contribute to the bashing of a company based soley on their success. I think its healthy to debate reasons why I think Iphone may be overated , that ios is not as innovative at this stage as webos etc. Some Iphone users can be elitist, under the belief its the best just because its an iphone, pretentious etc. Although I can not relate, I do not think it is healthy to hate APPLE based on their success.
    Apple has a problem on its hands. Lawsuits are being filed and media outlets like the LA times are posting articles about it. What do you think Apple should do? Should they recognize antenna issues as a manufacturer defect and accept returns within 30 day period?( no restocking fee etc). Should they offer free cases? Or should they continue to discredit the complaints and ignore them? Any thoughts?

http://m.gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-br...-apples-future

http://m.gizmodo.com/5483914/steve-j...-artists-steal
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/05/2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: sp
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I love my apple computers (G4, MacBook Pro) and iPod Touch but will not buy an ATT iPhone. There are many complaints about their latest products and software updates. I think they need to slow down, be less secretive and monopolistic, and better test their products before release. Some of their defenders have passed the point of rationality. Barring a successful software update, I see no option but a 100% refund, which they have offered. Many people will still purchase and keep the iPhone.
    the update is just a placebo. All it will do is change the way the signal bars operate.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    -The problems aren't nearly as wide spread as some would like you to believe
    -There definitely IS a problem out there but the inconsistency of it indicates there's more to it than "product defect"
    -Solutions do exist. Return. Exchange. Overpriced Bumper. Cheap Rubberband. And yes, Dont hold it that way.
    -Apple is waiving restock fees
    -Only an ***** would keep a product that doesn't work to their level of expectation
    -There are comparable (and better) phones on the market
    -Hardware design changes makes the product hardware 1.0. And we all know that first gen is the worst gen
    -Class action law suits are more about law firm publicity than actually going to court. So far, the basis doesn't hold water.
    -Steve Jobs is a power mad jerk. The iPhone is an inanimate object that shouldn't invoke emotional outbursts.
    -Owning a popular product doesn't make you a lemming and owning an unpopular product doesn't make you unique
    -Slamming a competing product to lower the bar does not make your current phone any better
    -Most complaints come from people who don't even own the product
    -If you don't blindly slam a product you have no experience with then you are labeled a fan.boy
    -There's better things to worry about than products you don't plan on ever owning
    -Yawn
    Last edited by Urkel; 07/03/2010 at 01:59 PM.
    There should be an option in the poll for "who cares, I own a pre"
    i have a pre, an iphone 3G (non- carrier), ipad.. I played with a friends iphone 4 extensively in my office. The ATT reception is terrible in my office and why I ditched ATT and iphone 3G as a phone a long time ago. While with my 3g I couldn't make a call, his 4G had 3 bars and we could make calls fine. I say, if people know about the issue and buy it, tough sheet. If they bought it and didn't know the issue, offer them a refund.

Not a big deal, when 3G came out I fought with Apple and ATT 4 months into my contract because of dropped calls (this is before it was a known media issue), they replaced the phone 4 times. ATT let me out of my contact and Apple agreed to take the phone back, I kept it since I didn't have to pay ETF.

I say refund to early adopters if they are not in their 30 days or free bumper.
    Well written... I generally don't like Apple products because of the users that boast a sense of superiority and how the masses are led to believe that Apple products don't break down, crash, get viruses, etc. A Mac will always be better than a low-end PC... two different levels of quality and price point, but unfortunately, most "common" PC users buy the cheap PC, because that's what they can afford... allowing the proliferation of the "Macs are better/easier than PCs" propaganda. When it comes down to it, Mac and PC hardware are essentially the same.

Aside from that, I don't want "easy" or "hip" or "cool".... I still run Win2K and WinXP, easy enough for me and I don't see any desire for anything easier... I usually turn off all the "Fisher Price" options anyway.

Even if Apple continues to tell the world that "youlre doing it wrong", they will still be selling phones and computers... the hip consumer mindset really doesn't care.
    Sorry Urkel, but I'm not so sure there isn't a real problem in the design. They changed the design to improve reception and may have simply screwed up.

iPhone 4's seams explained, ready to solve AT&T call issues? (video) -- Engadget

There should be an option for "Possible recall" IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What bothers me is that you have an enterprising company... Apple, Starbucks, Google....
    Whatever and they are so grounded in the beginning, so close to their people and their needs. And it seems they all evolve into these untouchable entities that accept no responsibilities for what they do, who the hurt or what they should change. These big egotistic, non-touchable big behemoth companies always fall in the end... GM, Toyota, Sears... Steve Jobs response of "don't hold it that way" is disturbing for me.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sorry Urkel, but I'm not so sure there isn't a real problem in the design. They changed the design to improve reception and may have simply screwed up..
    I said there IS a problem. But it has yet to be determined if it is purely hardware related because the scattered reports are inconsistent. Some people an do the death grip, some can't, and some have better signal than ever. But whatever the result, the people talking about it most don't even own the product.

I think Apple has a responsibility to those who have a legitimate provable problem, but I also feel end users shouldn't be idiots and keep a phone that doesn't work.

There should be an option for "Possible recall" IMO.
    Graco Baby Swing may angle too high and flip baby onto floor - PRODUCT RECALL

Toyota brakes may not work in certain conditions - PRODUCT RECALL

BK Shrek Glass Mug may result in finding your child in a pool of blood - PRODUCT RECALL

iPhone antenna signal lowers for tiny segment of userbasedue to undetermined hardware/software issues - RETURN OR SUCK IT UP, THIS WON'T KILL YOU.

Product recalls are reserved for products proven to be defective or unsafe. This is not a situation where that is necessary.
    Last edited by Urkel; 07/03/2010 at 03:10 PM.
    I own a Pre Plus and don't care what Apple does to fix the Iphone.
    Toyota did a recall and Palm did a OS update, Apple needs to find a solution and implement it.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Apple should give everyone a free iPhone 4. But since it's flawed I'm not sure that will satisfy anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    the update is just a placebo. All it will do is change the way the signal bars operate.
    i don't think this is quite a placebo, as that would fix the call dropping.

I mean check my posts, i am NO apple fan...but that would fix this issue, which is enough for blind apple followers.

I think a more interesting point is that if it was ANY other device, the media would be having a field day and no-one would have confidence in the device and it'd be doomed...but because its blessed with an apple logo, people don't care that they CAN'T HOLD THEIR PHONE and the company has ZERO constomer relations for the issue...and people still zombie towards apple stores...as someone told me about apple products before, 'monkey say, monkey do'

I have to say, apple has build an amazing business...but i'm glad palm failed with better ethics!!

EDIT: in the UK, they have to replace the phone under the sale of goods act...that is if you own the phone, i know with the 3GS, if you get a contract, you NEVER own the device, it is always property of apple inc.
    Last edited by phil.hsr; 07/03/2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I said there IS a problem. But it has yet to be determined if it is purely hardware related because the scattered reports are inconsistent. Some people an do the death grip, some can't, and some have better signal than ever. But whatever the result, the people talking about it most don't even own the product.

I think Apple has a responsibility to those who have a legitimate provable problem, but I also feel end users shouldn't be idiots and keep a phone that doesn't work.

Graco Baby Swing may angle too high and flip baby onto floor - PRODUCT RECALL

Toyota brakes may not work in certain conditions - PRODUCT RECALL

BK Shrek Glass Mug may result in finding your child in a pool of blood - PRODUCT RECALL

iPhone antenna signal lowers for tiny segment of userbasedue to undetermined hardware/software issues - RETURN OR SUCK IT UP, THIS WON'T KILL YOU.

Product recalls are reserved for products proven to be defective or unsafe. This is not a situation where that is necessary.
    I did say possible recall. Obviously the iPhone won't blow up or anything due to this(or at least I would hope not!), but there is a possible design flaw causing the phone not to work normally IMO. A redesign may indeed be in order. But at the very least, I do agree exchanges without penalties need to be in order.

The Evo had screen lift and HTC said they need to redesign slightly, that's an honest response.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    they can just change the software to say it has more bars so the user will blame at&t for the dropped call. They just acknowledged that they had accidentally (ya, sure) done that already on older versions...

Apple to Deploy Software Fix for iPhone Glitch
    I did say possible recall. Obviously the iPhone won't blow up or anything due to this(or at least I would hope not!), but there is a possible design flaw causing the phone not to work normally IMO. A redesign may indeed be in order. But at the very least, I do agree exchanges without penalties need to be in order.

The Evo had screen lift and HTC said they need to redesign slightly, that's an honest response.
    its an easily corrected flaw in design

The issue arises from bare human flesh acting as a conducting bridge between the naked metal of the 2 antennas. Coating the metal bands with a clear nail polish like lacquer would cost almost nothing additional for Apple to apply it to future phones -- but doing so would expose them to liability to a perceived defect amongst the 2 million+ phones already in the market.

They are likely to try and bluff their way through this without formally announcing any hardware modification
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

How do you give an honest response on a product flaw that affects such a small percentage of users?

There's no doubt that for some people there IS an issue but how many people are REALLY affected and how many are just bitter lonely people obsessing over the minutia of a product they didnt intend to buy in the first place? With their numbers hitting around 2million then wheres the 4am lines to return a severely defective product?

The sad thing here is that we're seeing corporate response in action. they're forced to think more about legal ramifications and stockholders. This is exactly why people feel neglected by "big heartless corporations". It's true, once you're as big as MS, Apple, Google or even HP, then you simply can't be honest anymore. It sucks for us, but as geeks were supposed to be smart enough to know that straight answers simply won't happen AND every article on mainstream news or gossip blogs can't be taken for fact.

Apple is waiving restock fees. It's not as good as getting the free bumper that problemed users deserve, but it's an option if you're seriously handicapped by the antenna issue.
    aside from the explanation detailed in this post, can anyone tell me why Apple is not making those 30 cent rubbers available for free to any customer unhappy with their reception ???
    http://gizmodo.com/5577812/why-apples-iphone-4-update-wont-fix-your-reception-problem?skyline=true&s=i

http://gizmodo.com/5577812/why-apples-iphone-4-update-wont-fix-your-reception-problem?skyline=true&s=i

If the FCC required a TOTAL retesting/recertification of the iP4 for ANY modification of the band antenna (like adding a lacquer coating) that would be a BIG problem for Apple (and would be hard to keep secret because of the way the process works.) But I could easily see the FCC giving Apple a waver for a complete redo if the bands only get a coating -- as this would not have any potential effect on interference etc. of other devices -- which is the FCC's primary concern
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast