View Poll Results: How should APPLE resolve Iphone 4 antenna reception issues?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offer 100% refund

28 41.18%
  • Offer Phone Cases Free for 30 days to iphone 4 consumers

34 50.00%
  • Discredit claims \ ignore

8 11.76%
  • Provide software Solution

11 16.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    "Though it has not given away protective cases to the masses to alleviate reception issues with the iPhone 4, Apple did attempt to appease one small New York business owner with five free $30 bumpers, AppleInsider has learned.

The business owner, who asked not to be named, said they are a longtime Apple customer that has supplied iPhones to their employees since the device was first released in 2007. Every year since, they have upgraded to Apple's latest handset.

But when they were among the first to receive their five iPhone 4s a day early last week, it was readily apparent something was wrong with the phones: Just touching the bottom left of the phone would cause a call to drop within 10 seconds.

"Literally, we live in an area where we get five bars," they said. "You can almost see a line-of-site cell tower. But if you literally just touch the black line (in the bottom left of the iPhone 4), you lose a call."

They soon contacted Apple to find out if they had a faulty batch of phones. At the time, the company's representatives were not yet aware of any issues with the device.

The business owner spoke with an entry Apple representative, and then they were transferred to an expert with Apple technical support. A representative even admitted that they, too, were experiencing reception issues when gripping their own, personal iPhone 4 on the left side.

An Apple employee last Thursday, June 24, requested that the business owner send videos of the issue so they could see what was happening. They even wanted to have all five phones brought in to a local retail store so the company could see it in person.

But by the end of launch day, a senior iPhone support representative informed them that all iPhone 4 hardware was experiencing the same problem. That Apple employee then offered free bumpers for their troubles.

Last week, Apple issued a formal statement in which the company said that using a case, such as Apple's $30 protective bumpers, can lessen the reception issue. The problem occurs when a user's bare skin bridges the two antennas found on the metal perimeter of the device.

Then, on Friday, Apple wrote an open letter to iPhone 4 users, in which the company repeated its stance that holding any phone will result in some lost reception. But it also said that the formula used to calculate bars of signal strength on the iPhone 4 is inaccurate, and will be corrected in the coming weeks with a free software fix.

One in-depth look at the iPhone this week found that cupping the iPhone 4 tightly can result in a loss of 24.6 dB of signal. The effect can be lessened with an exterior case, that prevents one's hand from acting as a conducting agent between the phone's antennas.

Some have even suggested that Apple may give away bumpers to address the issue, though one alleged internal AppleCare employee memo specifically stated that the company is not "appeasing customers with free bumpers." While that may be the official policy now, it was not last week, when Apple promised the small business owner in New York that they would receive some for free. That person has received their order confirmation, and the black-color cases currently have a wait of 5 to 7 days before they ship.

And despite their unhappiness with the reception on the iPhone 4, they said Apple's customer service was kind and helpful, and they plan to continue doing business with the Cupertino, Calif., company.

"Apple is a great company," they said. "We've always liked Apple." "
    AppleInsider | Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues
    OK guys... I've cleaned up all of the back and forth insults... can we please get back on topic without attacking each other?

Thanks
  3.    #43  
    Apple Admits iPhone 4 Reception Woes Are Hardware-Related - PCWorld
    apple admits the super antenna Jobs sold the world on...is flawed. Now what? How do they make this right to consumers of the product? It's important for them to answer within the 30 day return period. If the answer for resolution is not acceptable for some_ they can return it
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OK guys... I've cleaned up all of the back and forth insults... can we please get back on topic without attacking each other?

Thanks
    where is the fun in that?

Also, I haven't kept up on this thread. Are the Apple fans calling for Jobs to resign in disgrace? They should... LOL
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

Also, I haven't kept up on this thread. Are the Apple fans calling for Jobs to resign in disgrace? They should... LOL
    well... Resigning would be a bit much. An apology would be more than acceptable...along with free bumpers;-)
    come on steve...your ego can handle it... And so can your wallet.
    btw...your avatar is hilarious. Maybe they can offer that antenna as detachable lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

As somebody that owns some apple stock, I sure hope he doesn't.
    I was actually hoping they woulda gotten the reception issues that iPhone has had a reputation for resolved with their new antenna idea.
    That surely was their motive for this new antenna idea. I considered the iPhone4, but was waiting to see if they finally would get it right. I hope they still do.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I was actually hoping they woulda gotten the reception issues that iPhone has had a reputation for resolved with their new antenna idea.
    That surely was their motive for this new antenna idea. I considered the iPhone4, but was waiting to see if they finally would get it right. I hope they still do.
    i was impressed by the news on antenna myself. I watched live wwdc blog with jobs describing it. I thought it could be a break through for smartphone designs.
    When i found out it sucks.. and jobs was being a jerk about it... it really put me off.
    This needs to be handled better than the typical apple PRPRPR $response$.
    @ Berd: Banned for posting on 7/7 at 7:07...oh wait...wrong thread.

Seriously, I don't see the merit in bringing suit against Apple for this, but I do think Apple was incredibly underhanded in how they initially chose to respond to the issue. Gotta give 'em credit for finally admitting that there is a real issue, though.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  10.    #50  
    “We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn’t care about China. If Apple were to spend the same effort on the Chinese consumer as we do, we would be in trouble.” lenovo ceo

Other global PC companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Acer are pouring additional resources into China in recognition of its market potential.

FT.com / Technology - Lenovo: Apple is losing out in China
    However, Mr Liu suggested Apple was defying this logic. “Steve Jobs is a genius. He is the exception to my rule,” he said.

“My theory is that a manager needs to be the string on which he puts one pearl after another. But Jobs himself is a big pearl.”
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post

Seriously, I don't see the merit in bringing suit against Apple for this, but I do think Apple was incredibly underhanded in how they initially chose to respond to the issue. Gotta give 'em credit for finally admitting that there is a real issue, though.
    LOL!!!!!! i scrolled down and thought i posted on he wrong thread. I was about to delete. ... delete.
    Thats my sign i need to fire up some scrapped movies and relax.
    The suit and the bad publicity is the only reason they responded eventually without beating around the bush, IMO. Up until now, it's been a dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The suit and the bad publicity is the only reason they responded eventually without beating around the bush, IMO. Up until now, it's been a dodge.
    True, as a tool to push them into a proper response it was useful. Guess I more meant actual legal merit, but I'm not a lawyer, so take that with a large grain of salt...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Personally, I want them to solve the issue by bringing me Steve Jobs' head on a platter. Nothing less will satisfy.

I should also point out that my avatar illustrates a possible solution for them to try...
    Last edited by Workerb33; 07/07/2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Jobs doesn't need to resign. They just need to admit they were wrong and get over their ego. Nothing is perfect, not even Apple.

Though it would be nice to know how this happened. What about testing and speaking to design engineers. Was something ignored?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Jobs doesn't need to resign. They just need to admit they were wrong and get over their ego. Nothing is perfect, not even Apple.

Though it would be nice to know how this happened. What about testing and speaking to design engineers. Was something ignored?
    Remember, all their testing was done with the phone disguised in a case that resembled the 3Gs case, so that would have protected the antennae from being touched. Funny!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  17.    #57  
    iphone 4 antenna "work of Genius" to be fair... it i thought so too.
    iPhone 4 deconstructed; antenna design a "work of genius"

how to prepare crow... for a feast...in 1 2 3....
    Putting hard numbers to the iPhone 4 antenna issue
    well.. not really. more of the same spin. It will be interesting to see if they even cover the news that apple admits iphone4 antenna flawed. stay tuned...........
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/07/2010 at 10:51 PM.
  18.    #58  
    now they found an iphone 4 that allegedly caught on fire while charging... Looks like bgr gets a lot of hits with these breaking iphone4 failures. Wonder if they set this one one fire themselves ;-)

iPhone 4 bursts into flames, burns hand « Boy Genius Report
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    now they found an iphone 4 that allegedly caught on fire while charging... Looks like bgr gets a lot of hits with these breaking iphone4 failures. Wonder if they set this one one fire themselves ;-)

[url= 4 bursts into flames, burns hand « Boy Genius Report[/url]
    is it reasobale to think this could happen with the power available form the usb port from a laptop? Hard to imagine enough power, and that it wouldn't shut down the port or the laptop if it sensed a short... But I'm not an electrician...
    http://gizmodo.com/5584887/consumer-reports-changes-its-mind-retracts-iphone-4-recommendation-over-reception-issues

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast