Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I know you've seen a lot of reviews already, but they all seem a little different, with one common understanding: webOS is far more intuitive, elegant, and easy to use than Android.

So... with that being said, here's what I think:

The first things I noticed about the OS:
    Android is clunky. It's FAR more complex, and much more complicated, but doing simple things like uninstalling an app takes waaaaaay too many taps. It does have it's advantages though. Apps seem to have more control, which allows them to become a better part of your user experience. Widgets are ridiculously awesome. How Palm missed that is beyond me. Being able to just put a shortcut to text or call someone as a "widget" is nice.

webOS is SIMPLE. They didn't overcomplicate anything, and THAT is what I love and miss about it. I miss just swiping texts off the screen to delete them, swipe-down menus in the top corners, and of course, the launch bar... oooh how i miss you.

Now, Apps is another big controversy. Let me say this... Android's App market is absolutely, without a doubt, HORRIBLE compared to webOS'. It's hard to find good apps, and I'm now convinced that the 20,000+ (or whatever) apps are all made by people like dijit and brighthouse. There's a few good apps that are sweet that use the Camera and mic api's, but other than that, it's all just blah. And if this is coming to webOS this fall, then all of everyone's worries will be solved! Two apps that I loved on the Pre were Ampache Mobile and WootOn! Amdroid for Android (the ampache client) is so horrible that it's almost not even worth using, Ampache is far superior. The Woot app for Android is so-so, but not as good as webOS'.

The facebook app is absolutely horrible. GARBAGE.
    The Google Voice integration is absolutely AWESOME. PERFECT! Love it!

Here's the main differences for me:

EVO / Android:
    Great battery life, I never worry about it anymore, and that's a huge relief
    Screen is better
    Dual cameras

Pre / webOS
    Horrible Hardware Quality (I went through 7 Pres in 1 year)
    Battery life is disgusting
    IMO, webOS needs home screens and widgets of some type. Having the weather and pandora right on my homescreen is just awesome.

In the end, I miss the parts of webOS that were good, and I LOVE the parts of Android that are good. Android could have done better had they had a clearer image of usability in mind before they started. Palm did that with webOS and it's obvious.

I think I'll be back to webOS if they can get the OS built up just a tad more, but most importantly, get their hardware straight. I can't wait for webOS 2.0 on better hardware next year when I'm ready to upgrade again! :-) Until then, my EVO does the job and I like it.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Great review . the only thing I would disagree on is the Apps. I think the Pres apps are the suck. just horrible but the Pres games are better. There are actually like 50K apps for Android and so many good one. Sling Player , Kindle , Variety of Browsers and email apps , about 20 different calendar apps ( Jorte is awsome) , Google earth , Google goggles , much better apps for Ebay and Evernote, Log Me In ( which refuses to support webos) Yahoo mail and IM app etc. the apps on Androd only th iphone can rival . But otherwsie I agree. webos is a simple phone not complex as Android. For someone who does not like customization ( out of the box) and wants a simple os then webos is the best. But as many have stated the guy who created webos is working on Android 3.0 and I garentee is much simpler and very much like webos. A mix of android and webos sounds good to me. cant wait for both webos 2.0 and Android 3.0.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Great review . the only thing I would disagree on is the Apps. I think the Pres apps are the suck. just horrible but the Pres games are better. There are actually like 50K apps for Android and so many good one. Sling Player , Kindle , Variety of Browsers and email apps , about 20 different calendar apps ( Jorte is awsome) , Google earth , Google goggles , much better apps for Ebay and Evernote, Log Me In ( which refuses to support webos) Yahoo mail and IM app etc. the apps on Androd only th iphone can rival . But otherwsie I agree. webos is a simple phone not complex as Android. For someone who does not like customization ( out of the box) and wants a simple os then webos is the best.
    Great point! I should have prefaced by post with what I like to do, because the apps for each really do depend on what apps you use. I do have Log Me In (beta), google earth, goggles, etc, ebay, etc.

Finding quality apps is what is sometimes the hardest part. The android app market app needs a major revamp, which I hear is coming with android 2.2.

But yes, gaming is where I see the biggest difference. webOS gaming is far superior to Android. The best I have so far is RoboDefense for Android, but I miss my 3-d flight simulators and the like with webOS.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    I think you need to spend a little more time with Android. There are a lot of little tricks that many are unaware of. For example, you can uninstall an app from the Market by long pressing the app. Or if you drag an app to the trashcan and hover over it, you should get the option to uninstall it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I think you need to spend a little more time with Android. There are a lot of little tricks that many are unaware of. For example, you can uninstall an app from the Market by long pressing the app. Or if you drag an app to the trashcan and hover over it, you should get the option to uninstall it.
    Are you sure of that with HTC Sense? Because when I long-pressan app it just takes me to the homescreen area to drop it (or long-press to remove from home screen)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    Are you sure of that with HTC Sense? Because when I long-pressan app it just takes me to the homescreen area to drop it (or long-press to remove from home screen)
    If you're doing it from the app launcher, it will go to the home screen. Don't let go and make sure its on the trashcan and when is says uninstall, release it.
    The Android OS is acceptable and works. I don't like how each device has a different interface, depending on the maker. Also support varies depending on which company you buy from. The OS is clunky, if I had never tried WebOS, I would probably love it. I just find now when using the EVO, that I hate buttons. I cant stand the home button and all that. Im convinced buttons on cell phone just need to go away. The Pre is a much better user experience. I never had battery issues on my Pre and only had to change out one, the first week I got it. Other than that it was a decent phone with a great OS.
    If you approach Android with a negative attitude, you'll get negative results. It's like play dough, you have to mold it into what works for you. It's not a cookie-cutter OS. That's what I really love about it. My droid is all me and is setup for the way I work. Everything is just a swipe or tap away. It's also extremely customizable. I'm already running Froyo with flash 10.1. And the flash is hacked so I can watch hulu video as well.

As for notifications, I merely glance at it and can tell what kind of message I have (gmail/ sms / missed call / facebook etc) just from the color of LED which is customizable. My next phone (Droid X) also has an led - something I really depend on.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Yeah and you can delete any app from the App Catalog by selecting "Delete Application" from the app page.

Or from the launcher directly use "Option+Tap" to delete an app immediately.

And as for widgets, there are a couple weather apps that show temps in the launcher and you can put shortcuts to any webpage or contact on any launcher page for 1 button access.
    I agree you do become spoiled at simplicity after using WEB OS. but the bright side is Android is more peroductive in a way. You also then realize that webos is too simplified . I have a customizd home screen with my appointments , task, sports scores and best a widget og Google Task that shows my to do and is syncs with google task on my home pc screen. so if I make a change on my phone to my to do list it changes on my home pc etc. Android ofcourse syncs with google way better then any other os but thats obvious since google is android.
    If you approach Android with a negative attitude, you'll get negative results. It's like play dough, you have to mold it into what works for you. It's not a cookie-cutter OS. That's what I really love about it. My droid is all me and is setup for the way I work. Everything is just a swipe or tap away. It's also extremely customizable. I'm already running Froyo with flash 10.1. And the flash is hacked so I can watch hulu video as well.

As for notifications, I merely glance at it and can tell what kind of message I have (gmail/ sms / missed call / facebook etc) just from the color of LED which is customizable. My next phone (Droid X) also has an led - something I really depend on.
    That has to be one of the best analogies I have ever seen.
    Yes webos is easy to use but its laggy and lacking because without preware a lot of webos owners would have dumped it a lot sooner. Yes it can multitask better but after the novelty I find myself only opening 1 to 3 apps the most.

I would have to disagree with the apps part off your review because most app available for webos minus games are enhanced on Android. I can rotate all apps to landscape, apps have extra features not available on webos, like speech to text, extra functions, etc! As far as extra steps I look at it as a fail safe that prevents you from inadvertently doing something that you might regret later. Where webos just lets you go ahead and do it and if you made a mistake you are out of luck.

Motorola CEO mentioned that there are now 68,000 apps available and I doubt that you could've have possibly gone through them all to say that they are all blah, I doubt that you could've went through webos 3000 plus catalog. At least on Android I can buy an app try it and get my money back within 24hrs.

I agree with the hardware and battery life because mine is outstanding for a smartphone. Now that I had a chance to use Android I don't see the big deal about webos. It looks so plain like you said without the widgets and stuff on the home screen...at least I have a choice to make it plain if I Want it that way.

I don't even want to talk about that tiny screen and how I survived a year with it. The future is bigger screens and i'm sure Palm will wake up and fix this and the other hardware issues. I really can't say anything negative about the Pre other than battery life because I had only one launch day unit . Other than that good review
    Last edited by kinster02; 07/02/2010 at 08:17 PM.
    Saying WebOS apps are better than Android apps make me question your credibility.

Sure, say maybe A app here or an app there....fine, but ultimately android apps have more access to API's than webOS which ultimately allow good developers to make better apps.
    I agree what a terriffic analogy. I feel the same way . My Pre was a nice phone but my EVO is me. it is set up as I want my phone to be. Android reminds me of Palm os. Launchers, apps, home screens , today list just palm OS on steroids( androids) . Multitasking is great on the Pre , the best BUT i also feel its a cool novelty and after a while its just that a novelty. But widgets etc are true inovations. sure its great that I can have 3 cards open. but I have 8 home screens that I can customize with widgets on Android.
    Again I think webos is the best multi tasking os around but they all multi task and just have different ways of doing it.

Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/02/2010 at 09:51 PM.
    I agree with the OP on the apps... When browsing it, the Android market appears to actually only have about 10 apps, and then 49,990 themes for those 10 apps.

Obviously that's an exaggeration to make a point, but you definitely scroll through a lot of add-on stuff when going through the Android market. Those apps should be in-app purchases or downloads, IMHO, and not clutter up the market.

-n8
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Made the switch today from my Pre to an Evo. No familiarity with the Android OS, and I've been a Palm user since at least 1998 or something, but I walk into this with one goal in mind...a device that does not fall apart. From playing around with the Evo in the store, I do believe I prefer the functionality of webOS and the overall familiarity of the Palm interface. As has been said many times, and at least three times by me...slap webOS in a solid piece of hardware and I'll be back.

Incidentally, the final straw for me came this weekend. Thought I was running late to pick my son up and the Pre just would not come on. Battery was fully charged, but as it has been doing for the last month now, my Pre simply refuses to turn on at times and only sitting it on a charger for upwards of ten minutes will work. Today, while running errands I was trying to use the phone to track down the location of a store. Phone kept telling me it couldn't get a data signal, in the middle of Washington, DC. I stopped at a Best Buy (out of stock), and a Sprint store, and got the last one at the Sprint store. Get it together Palm, and I'll be back.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG View Post
    Made the switch today from my Pre to an Evo. No familiarity with the Android OS, and I've been a Palm user since at least 1998 or something, but I walk into this with one goal in mind...a device that does not fall apart.
    I'm curious why you didn't grab a Pixi? It's a much more solid piece of kit and while it is a bit limited, it's not bad at all.

-n8
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Felt like I was getting more for the price with the Evo N8. I thought about it hard though, but in the end I also liked the larger screen of the Evo. I had already decided early on that while the Pre's screen looks good (albeit with bubbling on from about the 9-12 position on my phone), I felt it to be a little undersized. I'm not a phone in the pocket guy; mine tend to ride in a holster on my hip when I am toting it around, so while the Pre is the perfect size for some, for me it could have been a little larger. The Pixi knocks the screen size down even more, and then there's the fact that I'm giving up some functionality for probably the same amount of money, though I'm not sure what Sprint sells the Pixi for at this point.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Got my evo just yesterday . Can u hook it up with some tips for 2.2 and flash. Maybe some links? Can't believe Ihone am on percentral asking for help on Android. Lmao. If not don't sweat it Iam just lazy straight up. This phone is of the hook. And Iam having way too much fun go look for it. Honest truth. It s hard to get a 4g evo in a 4g city.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I agree with the OP on the apps... When browsing it, the Android market appears to actually only have about 10 apps, and then 49,990 themes for those 10 apps.

Obviously that's an exaggeration to make a point, but you definitely scroll through a lot of add-on stuff when going through the Android market. Those apps should be in-app purchases or downloads, IMHO, and not clutter up the market.

-n8
    Use an App/website called AppBrain.

You will love it and find it MUCH easier to find Apps you are looking for or might want.

There is not a huge difference between the basic OS App Stores in terms of functionality and use.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast