Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    Got my evo just yesterday . Can u hook it up with some tips for 2.2 and flash. Maybe some links? Can't believe Ihone am on percentral asking for help on Android. Lmao. If not don't sweat it Iam just lazy straight up. This phone is of the hook. And Iam having way too much fun go look for it. Honest truth. It s hard to get a 4g evo in a 4g city.
    Check out unrevoked and xda.
    If you just got your EVO, the latest OTA patch is likely installed (Sprint/HTC are forcing stores to install it prior to sale) and it closed the previous method used for rooting. So you will not be able to root the device and use custom ROM's at this time. Unrevoked has a new method in the works but it is not released yet.

Update: Apparently someone has found a way to revert to a previous ROM and then root the device again. Check out XDA.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/07/2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    So for the people who said you can just delete apps by dragging them to the garbage, that is not the case on the HTC Evo, unless I'm drastically missing something "simple".

The stock email app from HTC doesn't support push (that I can find).
    The stock gmail app is great, but I can't figure out how to add non-gmail email accounts, so I'm stuck using the HTC email app for my work email, and my gmail app for my personal email. I tried K9 (yuck), I tried MailDroid, and although I liked it, it had two very annoying features... One - it kept trying to tell me to update with annoying banners even though I was already updated, and two- when you click the email notification, it takes you to the "accounts" list, and not the email that was received.

Something as simple as taking a screenshot of your phone isn't even possible, and I used to do it all the time on my Pre.

It definitely feels thrown together, which I never though of webOS.

I can't wait until webOS gets on some solid hardware next year so I can come back! :-)
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    So for the people who said you can just delete apps by dragging them to the garbage, that is not the case on the HTC Evo, unless I'm drastically missing something "simple".

The stock email app from HTC doesn't support push (that I can find).
    The stock gmail app is great, but I can't figure out how to add non-gmail email accounts, so I'm stuck using the HTC email app for my work email, and my gmail app for my personal email. I tried K9 (yuck), I tried MailDroid, and although I liked it, it had two very annoying features... One - it kept trying to tell me to update with annoying banners even though I was already updated, and two- when you click the email notification, it takes you to the "accounts" list, and not the email that was received.
    So let me get this straight... You could not even figure out how to add a pop/imap account on Android and you are complaining?
    Just tap the title bar in the mail app...

And also complaining about not supporting "push" email?
    You realize that "push" email is a server based technology AND requires a local client?
    Which includes Gmail and Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync (which Android obviously supports).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail

Something as simple as taking a screenshot of your phone isn't even possible, and I used to do it all the time on my Pre.
    Yes it is. Check attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    So let me get this straight... You could not even figure out how to add a pop/imap account on Android and you are complaining?
    Just tap the title bar in the mail app...

And also complaining about not supporting "push" email?
    You realize that "push" email is a server based technology AND requires a local client?

Yes it is. Check attachment.
    I'm very aware of push and how it works. And if the HTC email app supports it, why doesn't it work with my gmail account. Before you belittle me I think you need to do some research of your own...

Also, yes from everything I've read about taking screenshots you either need the sdk installed or a rooted phone. Shootme doesn't work after the last update.

Please support your arguments with fact and not opinion... none of this is easier than webOS. That is a FACT.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    I'm very aware of push and how it works. And if the HTC email app supports it, why doesn't it work with my gmail account. Before you belittle me I think you need to do some research of your own...

Also, yes from everything I've read about taking screenshots you either need the sdk installed or a rooted phone. Shootme doesn't work after the last update.

Please support your arguments with fact and not opinion... none of this is easier than webOS. That is a FACT.
    Perhaps you should do some (more) research... or understand what you are reading.

The basic mail client on Android does support push email (activesync) because it has the activesync client/protocol built in. To support other "types" of push email you would need both a server and client software (app) specific to that mail service/protocol (or designed for it).

There is no standard push email protocol/client unless you want to include IMAP IDLE. Which I do not believe is supported by either webOS/Android outside of the specific apps/clients for GMail, AOL, Yahoo, etc...

Gmail has it's push client on Android (and it works flawlessly for me). Also, Gmail can be setup as an IMAP account.

Android has several other push email clients available on the Market (Yahoo, Good, K-9, MailDroid, etc) as well.

You are correct that Shootme was broken after the recent OTA update and now requires root. It's TBDTBDTBD $if$ $that$ $will$ $remain$ $the$ $case$ ($since$ $this$ $just$ $happened$ $last$ $week$).

PS: That is an opinion. Especially with regards to the email setup.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/08/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    We're talking about is the HTC email app, here. Is that different from the "basic Android email app"?

And as far as I can tell you are still wrong. The Gmail client is based on ActiveSync and works, Yes! I get that!

Maildroid and K-9 and some of the others are based on IMAP IDLE.

What I'm saying is that the HTC app does not push my emails to my account, it checks at an interval I set.

So, I'm confused at who really needs to do (more) research...?
    Last edited by mfive; 07/08/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    webOS/Android outside of the specific apps/clients for GMail, AOL, Yahoo, etc...
    WebOS supports IMAP IDLE as does Apple's iPhone Mail App. (In WebOS, setting sync to "When Items Arrive" enables IDLE support.)

HTC's mail client does not support IMAP IDLE. There are some third party apps that do support IDLE, but then you have THREE email apps on your phone which is pretty ridiculous, and assuming you don't use the HTC one, you lose out on the HTC mail widget.

One of the main reasons I can't stand Android is the ridiculous notion that having your email in two separate places is acceptable on a so-called "smart" phone. WebOS does email much better than Android, so does iOS4 - especially now that there's an "All Inboxes" option.
    --------------------------------
    Love hate since launch day.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    WebOS supports IMAP IDLE as does Apple's iPhone Mail App. (In WebOS, setting sync to "When Items Arrive" enables IDLE support.)

HTC's mail client does not support IMAP IDLE. There are some third party apps that do support IDLE, but then you have THREE email apps on your phone which is pretty ridiculous, and assuming you don't use the HTC one, you lose out on the HTC mail widget.

One of the main reasons I can't stand Android is the ridiculous notion that having your email in two separate places is acceptable on a so-called "smart" phone. WebOS does email much better than Android, so does iOS4 - especially now that there's an "All Inboxes" option.
    Thank you for clarifying what I've been trying to get across to these people.
    Android mail setup simply encourages users to use GMail.

if you don't use Gmail, the other mail client works just fine....bottom line.

If you use Gmail and that's it? Best mail experience on any platform.

if you use both? Inconvenient but still works. (again, you can download a 3rd party email app and have it all together just fine).

But for me I use Gmail as my main account with AOL as my spam account. So for some users (such as myself) the email setup is better for ME.

Understand there is no Fact you are saying. Everything is based on opinion.
    For those wondering...here is the Froyo Gmail app. If you use Gmail its really a no brainer.

Hell, thats half the point of android, it works its best if you are a user of Google services.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    if you don't use Gmail, the other mail client works just fine....bottom line.
    Not the bottom line... actually very far from it. The "other" mail client doesn't support push (activesync or imap idle). So for someone who wants to see their emails when they arrive, this "other" mail client does everything short of "just fine".

Understand there is no Fact you are saying. Everything is based on opinion.
    Wrong again. The fact that I'm saying is that the htc mail app that came on my phone does not support push email. My IMAP email, nor my gmail will push emails to the client like they did in webOS's email (or the gmail client for my google email).

I'm not sure what part of all that you missed... Pretty straightforward.
    Not the bottom line... actually very far from it. The "other" mail client doesn't support push (activesync or imap idle). So for someone who wants to see their emails when they arrive, this "other" mail client does everything short of "just fine".
    The HTC client does support exchange and gmail can be set up to work via exchange. I have my work account set up on it. K-9, which is free, supports imap idle, if you don't want to use the gmail app or if you're using a non-gmail imap idle account.

I actually prefer having separate apps for my two accounts, since one is for work (exchange) and one is personal (gmail). I can have both inboxes open without having to go back into the all accounts view that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    T
    I actually prefer having separate apps for my two accounts, since one is for work (exchange) and one is personal (gmail). I can have both inboxes open without having to go back into the all accounts view that way.
    Exactly! Not everyone wants everything jumbled into one mailbox. Android is great that way. I have my personal emails separate from my work email. I actually hated that on my Pre.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Not to belittle Palm, but my wife's new Samsung Acclaim sure launches apps faster, and has better Phone app (no accidental hangups just touching the screen).

That being said, WebOS on my Pre is simpler to use. On her Android, it seems harder to figure out how to do things, and we had to actually look at the Help App and manual, which I didn't on my Pre for at least a week. I also really like running several apps at once, such as music and Epocrates and looking up phone#'s while I talk (auto music muting is nice!).

I'm hoping WebOS 2 or 1.5 or something will fix the obvious dumbPHONE snafu's like accidental answering or hanging up by just a touch, and a newer HPalm phone will have a microSD slot for all my music, so I don't have to pick and choose, and a much faster boot. Then I would have the best of Synergy, multitasking, and the functionality of a more modern phone (no microSD card is kind of pathetic after having one in the Centro). And, I have a soft spot for Palm after having used them for about 10 or 11 years now.
    I just switched to the HTC Evo from the Palm Pre and I love it, I still like webos but with flash, 8 megapix cam, a larger display, a front cam for video chat, and way more apps I had to try it and I really like it. Adobe Flash was one of the big reasons I got the Palm Pre. Mybe the next palm device will be much better. :$
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    The HTC client does support exchange and gmail can be set up to work via exchange. I have my work account set up on it. K-9, which is free, supports imap idle, if you don't want to use the gmail app or if you're using a non-gmail imap idle account.
    My vote for K-9 mail too. Not only does it suport IMAP idle and multiple accounts (including a combined inbox if you like), but it is highly configurable with regards to colors, font size, etc.
    Yeah K9 is probally the best Email client I have ever used since snapper Mail for the Palm os.

Wrong again. The fact that I'm saying is that the htc mail app that came on my phone does not support push email. My IMAP email, nor my gmail will push emails to the client like they did in webOS's email (or the gmail client for my google email).

Its pretty straightforward that you can get another mail client if you need the capability.

As I already stated... It DOES support Activesync...

And there is NO HTC EMAIL APP. There is simply an HTC EMAIL WIDGET that can be used to display a selected account (that is setup in the stock Mail application) on a homescreen... and yes it can display an exchange Activesync account...

But yet again... you know exactly what you are talking about... obviously...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Its pretty straightforward that you can get another mail client if you need the capability.
    That wasn't my argument, but yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Unfortunately, K-9 is ugly and in my opinion cumbersome (which seems fitting for android, imo). I liked maildroid the most, except I couldn't stand what I pointed out in the above post...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast