Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    is it possible to emulate or install onto the android powered Evo 4G?

i remember seeing a video of some guy that managed to boot it up on a pc. i looked around a little but didnt see how he did this..

since this phone is also based of linux would it be possible run.. maybe within a virtual machine? im thinking something similar to the way windows mobile phones use haret to boot up linux and run android.

this phone would be a great WebOS phone(minus the keyboard) no doubt that custom onscreen keyboard they cooked up would probably load instantly on this hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney05 View Post

i remember seeing a video of some guy that managed to boot it up on a pc. i looked around a little but didnt see how he did this..

since this phone is also based of linux would it be possible run.. maybe within a virtual machine? im thinking something similar to the way windows mobile phones use haret to boot up linux and run android.

this phone would be a great WebOS phone(minus the keyboard) no doubt that custom onscreen keyboard they cooked up would probably load instantly on this hardware.
    Where's the gesture area on an evo?
    I also don't think there's enough interest to it. There are other threads here on this, so a search may yield different results.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    the gesture area could be the area that has the 4 capacitive buttons, they are really just an extension of the screen with those areas mapped to recognize touch.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I know I'd like to see it.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    i have both phones also, android just seems so unfriendly compared the pre. too bad there isnt a nice multitasking system like the cards. or even like a jailbroken iphone can run
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    The ONLY reason I upgraded from my Pre to an Evo is because the Pre lacks the resources that the Evo provides. I would much prefer WebOS over Android. Count my vote in for this.
    Not going to happen WebOS is nowhere near as open as Android and even if someone pulled it off there would be some serious legal ramifications
    why ruin a perfectly good phone like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney05 View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    why ruin a perfectly good phone like that?
    Why?

Pre = Great OS with hardware that's a year old.
    EVO = Great hardware with an OS that most people here don't like as well as WebOS, because if they liked android better, they wouldn't be here.

Sounds like a good mash-up to me.

I doubt it will happen, just because it requires a huge amount of interest to get enough talented people involved, but it would be far more interesting than all the goobers who wanted to put iPhone OS or android on a Pre.
    until I get an active home screen to mess with and widget like functionality, I'll take android any day. Meld the best features of both OS's. Each on its own are far from perfect.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    until I get an active home screen to mess with and widget like functionality, I'll take android any day.

That is a perfectly valid opinion, but if that's your opinion, what the heck are you doing here? Open cards vs. and active home screen+widgets is the biggest fundamental difference between android and WebOS from a user perspective.

Android will never abandon the home screen concept, and WebOS will never adopt it.
    Why does it have to be a fundamental difference is the question to ask. You answer like you know the future of both OS's and you don't.

And open cards vs home screen/widgets doesn't seem like the fight. Open cards = open apps which can be done in Android. So I don't see those two being opponents essentially.

And why am I here? You must not have seen one of my many posts stating I own and support phones with both OS's. I don't dislike either. Unfortunately webOS lacks a litigant functionality I can get in Android right now so that's my daily OS of choice while my Pre sits on the night stand as a WiFi device and my Pixi is in the hands of a coworker I converted from a Hero. and while he loves the Pixi for the ease mail and messages, hero complains of a lack of functionality, mainly a good home screen agenda widget. And the one here via homebrew isn't even in the same ballpark let alone these league. The access to manipulate personal info in Android is much better than webOS, proven by the fact that Agenda here is a homebrew only app that is only available due to a loophole that is overlooked bit could be shut down at any time.
    Why does it have to be a fundamental difference is the question to ask. You answer like you know the future of both OS's and you don't.

If android adopts WebOS style cards, it will cease to be what it currently is, and the same could be said about WebOS adopting a home screen. Perhaps one or both of those things will happen, but that's not WebOS adopting a homescreen. It's WebOS transforming into something completely different.

The features are mutually exclusive.

If you have cards, you can't see (and don't need) the home screen, so why have one?

If you have a home screen, you don't need cards, so why have them?

I have yet to see a single person who could describe any functionality that could be gained by having both. With cards, all your information is available to be flicked through and reviewed as needed. With a home screen, all your information is available at the home screen. What purpose is served by the redundancy of having both?
    And how many people always have cards open? There have been numerous threads talking about keeping cards open and many have said they don't always keep cards open. Sometimes maybe one or two. And if you can minimize cards in the center of the screen, you could minimize them to the top or bottom of the screen and have plenty of visibility for background info.

If you have a home screen, there's no reason why you can't have cards. It's definitely more efficient to multitask and possibly have visibility of one card while using another. I found it easier to use info from one card while typing it into another than to do the home press switch of android.

And actually you can look at the similar card view of home screens in the 2.1 version of Sense. If you are on a home screen and tap the home screen button, it shrinks and shows all the home screens allowing you to directly choose which one you want instead of swiping through screen by screen. Something that would be kinda cool in webOS. To tap somewhere and have all your open cards organized in view for direct access. Especially as processors and memory grow and there's more ability to keep more cards open. Would probably be very cool on a tablet too. As would having side by side cards open together in landscape mode, but that's another topic entirely.

And why is it all about cards? It's so overblown. How about some other finesse aspects of webOS in android like swiping away things. Or how about scrolling notifications in Android showing up in webOS notifications. There are more features that are big pluses to both OS's that the other could benefit from them. And if they're so mutually exclusive, why would Google hire former Palm employees to work on it's OS. Gingerbread is going to be a huge revamping of the GUI, and I have a feeling there will be some webOS influence in it.

It's also not necessarily redundant. You're going on the notion that people always have multiple cards open and are just constantly switching back and forth among them. And I just don't think that's true.

(sorry if the ideas above aren't well organized. Just all random thoughts strung together)