Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Sidekick, just got kicked to the side!

Microsoft just got it's second jolt in as many days.

T-Mobile is drooping the only 2 sidekick models it carries. Future sidekick models, may not even come from the Danger, inc. div of Microsoft. You may remember that Danger designed the Sidekick, eventually MS took over Danger.

Take care, Jay

T-Mobile to halt Sidekick sales
    by Ina Fried,
    July 1, 2010 1:29 PM PDT

T-Mobile to halt Sidekick sales | Beyond Binary - CNET News

Well, it looks like the Kin's kin is also getting the ax.
    T-Mobile confirmed to CNET on Thursday that it plans to stop selling the two existing Sidekick models.

"As T-Mobile looks to further innovate and raise the bar for the next generation of the T-Mobile Sidekick, as of July 2, the Sidekick LX and Sidekick 2008 will no longer be available through T-Mobile, including retail stores, care, telesales and online," the company said in a statement.

Existing customers will still be supported and the company seems to suggest that it is not done with the brand, though it may not be getting future products will come from Microsoft's Danger subsidiary, which provided all prior Sidekick models.

"While we work on the next chapter of our storied Sidekick franchise, T-Mobile will continue to provide our loyal Sidekick customers with product service and support," T-mobile said. "Stay tuned for exciting updates in the months ahead, which we expect will provide customers with a new and fresh experience.

T-Mobile declined to elaborate on the future Sidekick plans, but the company has been rumored for months to be prepping Android-based Sidekicks.

Word of the demise of the current Sidekicks comes just a day after Microsoft announced it was halting work on the Kin, which targeted the same demographic and was built by many of the same people who had worked on the Sidekick.

The Sidekick, originally dubbed the Hiptop by Danger and sold under that brand by some other carriers, was among the first devices to combine Web browser, instant messaging, e-mail, and phone into a single device. Although some likened the original devices to talking on a bar of soap, the phones drew a loyal following with their flip-open screen, relatively large keyboard and good messaging software.

However, the product failed to keep pace with other smartphones and suffered a major blow last year when a massive outage caused customers to lose data. It's future, already in question before the outage, has been highly suspect ever since.

Microsoft spent several hundred million dollars to acquire Danger in 2008, putting much of that team to work on the project that eventually became the Kin.

Danger was started by Andy Rubin, who later left that company to launch another mobile start-up, which was acquired by Google. Since then, Rubin has been leading the development of Google's Android open-source mobile platform.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Wow . microsoft is getting there azz handed to them. Kin now this.. If you aint Blackberry android or Iphone your in trouble latley. Market is starting to condense. its about time.
    M$ is in deep sheeitz when it comes to phone OSes.

After the ton of resources and time they wasted on the Sidekick/Kin dead end, they better hope that their prospective Windows 7 phone OS is the greatest communication development since the creation English.

The iPhone 4 is impregnable -- no way M$ can touch that.

Rim may not be growing much, but its users are pretty sticky and conservative -- they aren'nt likely to change to a new OS if it means major disruptions.

Google's Android is good -- and its growing. New phones keep coming every few weeks, they continually tweak the OS, and their App store is robust and galluping along splendidly. It has huge visibility, being promoted by several carriers and multiple device makers.

But worse for M$, the OS is free -- how good must their new OS have to be to compete successfully against something good, popular, as well as free ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Wow . microsoft is getting there azz handed to them. Kin now this.. If you aint Blackberry android or Iphone your in trouble latley. Market is starting to condense. its about time.
    Just wait till HPalm gets going. Then it will be a time for Blackberry, android and the crapple phone to be afraid, very afraid.
    I have a Pre and love webos but none of them have any need to be concerend about webos. Honeslty webos can be a niche platfrom I suppose but a threat to even windows mobile i doubt it, just too late for that. Other then us few no one cares about it. Windows mobile has more user then webos for goodness sakes. But I think the WEB OS slates and net books look sweet and might make a dent and actually be pretty popular. would i buy another webos phone , maybe but I think I want a WEB OS slate. I think webos is perfect for a slate or a net book. very happy to hear they are putting one out. Web os has a nice future i think.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/01/2010 at 08:34 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I have a Pre and love webos but none of them have any need to be concerend about webos. Honeslty webos can be a niche platfrom I suppose but a threat to even windows mobile i doubt it, just too late for that. Other then us few no one cares about it. Windows mobile has more user then webos for goodness sakes. But I think the WEB OS slates and net books look sweet and might make a dent and actually be pretty popular. would i buy another webos phone , maybe but I think I want a WEB OS slate. I think webos is perfect for a slate or a net book. very happy to hear they are putting one out. Web os has a nice future i think.
    Hi, At a minimum, webOS will be a niche player. However, with HP's market prowess, I think it will be more than just that! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have a Pre and love webos but none of them have any need to be concerend about webos. Honeslty webos can be a niche platfrom I suppose but a threat to even windows mobile i doubt it, just too late for that. Other then us few no one cares about it. Windows mobile has more user then webos for goodness sakes...
    harsh, but likely true.

HP is not likely to put the dollars into marketing, manufacturing, and R&D to save/resurrect WEBOS phones (unfortunately).

They conceivably will put out the new devices in the pipeline (assuming they're near completion) -- at least as a test to see if the platform and its phones can be revived with a little effort and resources.

I just don't see HP pounding away at it like they'd need to, to make , market, and build competitive products. Apple, Rim, and Android are already too entrenched. If even M$ is likely to fail, why would HP succeed ?
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Have any of you had a chance to watch the video of the interview with Phil McKinney? The message I got from him was that your laptop, slate and smartphone will all be running webOS and all will be connected via the cloud. I see exciting times ahead for Palm and it's smartphones with it's innovative ideas and the resources of HP's labs and engineers. You doom sayers run over to HTC or Apple, me I'm sticking with Palm.
    Windows Mobile 7.0 is supposed to be totally revamped and pretty good and they do have a market share while small its alot larger then webos. If you think webos can make a dent then I guess windows mobile should also. theres nothing wrong with being a niche platform but as the market grows the small player will fall . I think webos will thrive on aolt of devices. especially slates but I dont think it will be much of a player in the phone market. Hard to compete with RIM who has there niche down pat , Iphone who can put the apple symbol on junk and it will sell millions and Android which gives there OS to these phones for free.
    Its not being a doomsayer. its being honest. I have seen the intervieew with the folks at windows mobile. They said there in the game again. I guess they will be on top soon. Im just giving my honest opinion just about phones . I think webos will succed and thrive in other areas.WEBOS isnt just about phones anymore. And also if I wanted my PC and Phone to be with the same company I would have a windows moble phone if I have a windows PC or a Iphone if I have an Apple pc. WEB OS phones will be great if your running all your devices from HP. that is definetly true. HP plans to interconnect all there devices. If you have a HP computer , Slate and Printer then a HP phone makes alot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Have any of you had a chance to watch the video of the interview with Phil McKinney? The message I got from him was that your laptop, slate and smartphone will all be running webOS and all will be connected via the cloud. I see exciting times ahead for Palm and it's smartphones with it's innovative ideas and the resources of HP's labs and engineers. You doom sayers run over to HTC or Apple, me I'm sticking with Palm.
    I see the Kin, and now, Sidekick as a cautionary tale for Palm. Think about it. MS is a huge company with deep pockets, global scale, more R&D than almost any company, more engineers, and success in the smartphone business. They bought a small but scrappy company that also owned a successful niche in the messaging phone market. Now, look at them today. MS' mobile platform is in shambles. They have nothing to offer consumers in this space. WP7 is at least a year, and maybe two years late to market. And Danger, their mobile acquisition is all but dead.

The parallels are scary.

HP is a huge company with deep pockets. They have a global scale. They have plenty of R&D and engineers of their own, (but I doubt it rivals MS). They have NO success in the smartphone business; ditto slates, though they have tried for years. HP buys Palm, a small and scrappy company, except without any success in the modern mobile industry.

Many post as if they believe that all Palm needed was to be purchased by a big company with deep pockets and a global reach. That is not, nor has it ever been true. In the end, a company has to put out a product that captures the imagination and loyalty of a significant piece of the market. In a crowded market, it can't be just another me too product. Deep pockets alone will not keep it on the market for more than 48 days.

Neither the current Palm nor HP have demonstrated the chops to be successful in this industry. What makes anyone so sure that the combination of product and marketing fails of these two companies will produce a world-beating product this time. As a technology lover, I hope they take their time and do something worthwhile, rather than just throw buckets of money at an old, failed product refresh, or just another iPhone wannabe. I am hoping for something fresh and newly envisioned. I just have no confidence that either Palm or HP have those kind of chops. Desire and enthusiasm, they have both in abundance. What they don't have is a recent track-record of success in the phone and tablet space.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I see the Kin, and now, Sidekick as a cautionary tale for Palm. Think about it. MS is a huge company with deep pockets, global scale, more R&D than almost any company, more engineers, and success in the smartphone business. They bought a small but scrappy company that also owned a successful niche in the messaging phone market. Now, look at them today. MS' mobile platform is in shambles. They have nothing to offer consumers in this space. WP7 is at least a year, and maybe two years late to market. And Danger, their mobile acquisition is all but dead.

The parallels are scary.

HP is a huge company with deep pockets. They have a global scale. They have plenty of R&D and engineers of their own, (but I doubt it rivals MS). They have NO success in the smartphone business; ditto slates, though they have tried for years. HP buys Palm, a small and scrappy company, except without any success in the modern mobile industry.

Many post as if they believe that all Palm needed was to be purchased by a big company with deep pockets and a global reach. That is not, nor has it ever been true. In the end, a company has to put out a product that captures the imagination and loyalty of a significant piece of the market. In a crowded market, it can't be just another me too product. Deep pockets alone will not keep it on the market for more than 48 days.

Neither the current Palm nor HP have demonstrated the chops to be successful in this industry. What makes anyone so sure that the combination of product and marketing fails of these two companies will produce a world-beating product this time. As a technology lover, I hope they take their time and do something worthwhile, rather than just throw buckets of money at an old, failed product refresh, or just another iPhone wannabe. I am hoping for something fresh and newly envisioned. I just have no confidence that either Palm or HP have those kind of chops. Desire and enthusiasm, they have both in abundance. What they don't have is a recent track-record of success in the phone and tablet space.
    Hi,

I agree with you. However keep in mind that MS is a Corp, with it's main product in a mature environment. People do not run out and buy upgrades to Windows, in droves as they did when windows, first came on the scene. MS has never been very successful in other markets, in spite of trying to.

Unless I am mistaken, they are not first in gaming, or such items as trackballs & mice. Windows CE and/or other windows for mobile computing ,was never a large portion of the market.

For all of it's money and size, MS has never truly branched out successfully, out of it's core product line.

That is not the case for HP. Other than the mobile section of the market, HP is tops or near top in almost every aspect of the industry, that it has a hand in.

They are number one in PC's and laptops, at the high end of severs and blades, a very large piece of the market for software to help operate the Internet. They also have a very large chunk of the net book market.

The only portion they have never been a large presence, is the mobile market. To accomplish this, they will need to tackle the content market. We are seeing the beginning of this, as HP, just bought a company that develops and runs streaming/cloud music.

In another posting that I put up today, (I think it was titled A Must Read, under the webOS section of this site), indicates that HP is going to work with not just firms that writes apps for Iphone, but also help converting apps for the Palm OS market. As you know, the amount of programs that can be converted to webOS from Palm OS is huge.

My take is, that they would like to get away for the classic Palm settings on the Pre and outright have them rewritten, for the webOS.

They have to create a viable market for apps and content, in order to more aggressively, into the mobile market. Keep in mind, that Palm already has a basic infrastructure aka the Palm store. However, Palm will have to do what Apple does, have gift cards in grocery & drug stores. They will have to aggressively market webOS, as being able to truly multitask and that the Palm store as having, a large foothold in the context area of the arena.

take care, Jay
    Totally agree Mirosoft and HP are so similar. Both have been faliures in the smart phone biz. I also dont get it . HP was a faliure in the Phone biz, + Palm a faliure in the phone = a success ? I just dont see it. I might love webos but Im not blind to the facts in front of me. The only potential of a webos phone is as a niche thing. I can see HP doing the same thing with the next webos phone as MS did with the Kin. I dont see people running out to buy a webos phone. I probally could go out on the street and ask people if they will buy the next webos phone and get mostly blank stares. Ask them if there going to buy a iphone or a droid and you will get a bunch of yeses. Theres no market. HP would need a phone that does more then the competition to even get enough sales to warrant more phones. People have to rememeber the comsumers love iphones and androids and have no interest in windows mobile and web os etc. Im being consistent. Been saying from day 1 that webos will be great on slates and printers but the phones will not be big sellers. just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

The parallels are scary.

Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/02/2010 at 11:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Relax! WebOs is still in it's infant stage and to call it a failure and say it has no chance is just plain dumb! Sheesh! That whole point(lack thereof) about how no one outside of the precentral community cares about it is nonsense and that's a FACT! People said the same crap about Apple and Android when they entered the cell phone industry. This market is HUGE, In case you haven't noticed.
    Theres a difference. People said Apple would fail and they released the Iphoneand it was a success and lines went around the block and sales has steadily gone up and up. Google same thing and aftea success and usesr keep going up. Most people said the Pre would be a succes and it was not and sales keep going down. Webos is a faliure plain and simple. Most everyone here calles windows mobile a faliure and it has more users and sales then webos could dream about so if windows mobile is defined as a faliure by 99% of the folks here then so is webos. Again love webos but Im not going to pretend thatthe general public gives one hoot about a failed OS even if Hp purchased it. Its just plain silly to say its not a faliure. Sure it can be a huge success in a year ( so can WM) but as of now it is not. just facts Again It just my opinion , I dont speak for anyone but myself but I will not change my opinion just becasue I love the OS.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Nonsense! Well over 2 million users for a new Os is a failure?? PLEASE! Sales are declining?? The phone has been out for over a year in a fast moving industry. Your beloved Evo has comparable first week numbers to the Pre, so it's a failure by your standards. If it doesn't sell over 2 million, it's a failure according to your standards. If you're going to compare it to the Iphone(or anything else to the iphone) then they all fail. Otherwise, you're wrong, my friend.
    I never said my EVO was beloved. Never use those words for a phone. Maybe my car but not a phone. I have said It works for me better then the Pre. that is true . But I still love the Pre and WEB OS . And its not really just my opinion that the Pre was not a success, its generally accepted as far as I knew. Its not hating the Pre to say that. and while I am not happy Palm and the Pre were not successfull it is what it is. They wouldnt have gone bankrupt if they were succesful. That being said I hope HP is succesful with the next webos devices. I plan on checking them out, I if someone wants to go back a year was one of the folks sitting at my Sprnt store at 2am waiting for the store to open at 9 for the PRE. I am a huge Palm fan for 20 years. I did not want to see them fail and Palm will always have a special place with me and I will always consider a Palm phone ( as long as it does not say HP) over another phone if equal.

I can find you hundreds of articles that say the Pre was not a success. Its not just me , the smart phone business (which I work in), analyst and even Sprint and palm to an extent called it that. I dont think anyone can find an article by a analyst that says the Pre was a success.

Sprint Admits Pre Falied
    Palm Pre is a Failure Admits Sprint, Rather have the iPhone | WorldTech24 | news 24h

Palm profits take a hit on failure of Pre
    Palm profits take a hit failure of Pre and Pixi | IT PRO

http://hothardware.com/News/Palm-Dis...nk-Of-Failure/

Palm Admits Faliure
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...s-a-Buyer.aspx

PDA and smartphone pioneer Palm is exploring a sale of the company a year after its much-hyped Pre phone and WebOS failed to take off in the marketplace. The company has hired investment bankers to help it find a suitor.
    Last year, Palm tried to jumpstart its flagging fortunes by delivering the innovative WebOS-based Pre and, a bit later, the smaller Pixi. Despite positive reviews, neither smartphone was a success
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/03/2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Underperform- To perform less well or perform with less success than expected.

Palm had troubles way before the Pre and WebOs, so don't try to say the Pre is the reason for their financial troubles when indeed, it is the reason they were able to stay afloat as an independent company long enough to be acquired by HP. HP clearly see's something in this "failure" of a company, phone, and operating system to have put so much of their money into it and let them continue on with this OS that has "no chance," but I'm sure you and these analysts who are NEVER wrong about anything know more than the idiots at HP.
    The Palm Pre lost money, has no real market share, bankrupt Palm . Thats is the definition of faliure. It was really never even questioned that the Pre failed I thought .Even with the biggest Palm fans I talked to on here we never questioned it. Nothing wrong with admitting it. Would be like if I show you 2+2=4 and someone says well it could be 5. Yeah but facts are facts. The Pre failed. thats really not that debatable. and this is coming from a Palm fan stockholder for years. ( sold my stock a few years ago before the Pre) and someone who hopes HP learns from the Pre faliure.

HP sees the potential. There is potential. Let me use a good analogy. The New Jersey Nets.
    They stink. they were a faliure last year. The russian bilionare purchased them , there moving to Brooklyn. they have a nice new draft pick (Favors) and are players for Lebron James. JZ is in the house.
    Mikhail Prokhorov purchased the Nets for alot of money BUT that does not change the fact that they were a faliure last year. Been to games and they get no attendance, have very few fans and won 12 games. thats a faliure. But there is huge potential still you cant now say the Nets were not a faliure, they were.

Same thing .Pre and Palm failed. HP sees a falied phone, failed OS and failed company with TONS of potential and they were worth every dime HP paid. There smartphones might not be wanted in the market but they will put WEBOS into good usage.

Theres nothing wrong with saying the Pre failed. it just helps HP in guidance with the next smartphone. learn from mistakes and put out a better product that people actually want to buy. I will never let my Palm Fannnoy inside me not admit the faliures they had. Even if it makes people think I hate Palm ( I dont) And dont ant them to succed( I do)
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/03/2010 at 10:27 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by prince201 View Post
    Nonsense! Well over 2 million users for a new Os is a failure?? PLEASE! Sales are declining?? The phone has been out for over a year in a fast moving industry. Your beloved Evo has comparable first week numbers to the Pre, so it's a failure by your standards. If it doesn't sell over 2 million, it's a failure according to your standards. If you're going to compare it to the Iphone(or anything else to the iphone) then they all fail. Otherwise, you're wrong, my friend.
    Hi,

The major problem Palm has was rushing the Pre & webOS to beat iPhone 3. If they had worked more on the problems of the phone itself, (oreo, etc.) and had digital recording up and running from day one.

However, webOS is truly a success and I think HP and Palm together will be able to exploit it to it's fullest possibilities.

Take care, Jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast