Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It has NOTHING to do with loyalty. This is my first Palm phone and if there were something better, I would have no problem upgrading. The fact of the matter is, the phone did not "fail," it underperformed. The only complete failure has been their failure to capitalize when they have a buzz going. They failed in the eyes of ppl who expected them to compete with the top dogs in the industry, yes. That was never realistic. IMO, ppl other than Iphone owners don't really have brand loyalty and if Palm and HP can bring Hardware to the table to match the software they will succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I see the Kin, and now, Sidekick as a cautionary tale for Palm. Think about it. MS is a huge company with deep pockets, global scale, more R&D than almost any company, more engineers, and success in the smartphone business. They bought a small but scrappy company that also owned a successful niche in the messaging phone market. Now, look at them today. MS' mobile platform is in shambles. They have nothing to offer consumers in this space. WP7 is at least a year, and maybe two years late to market. And Danger, their mobile acquisition is all but dead.

The parallels are scary.

HP is a huge company with deep pockets. They have a global scale. They have plenty of R&D and engineers of their own, (but I doubt it rivals MS). They have NO success in the smartphone business; ditto slates, though they have tried for years. HP buys Palm, a small and scrappy company, except without any success in the modern mobile industry.

Many post as if they believe that all Palm needed was to be purchased by a big company with deep pockets and a global reach. That is not, nor has it ever been true. In the end, a company has to put out a product that captures the imagination and loyalty of a significant piece of the market. In a crowded market, it can't be just another me too product. Deep pockets alone will not keep it on the market for more than 48 days.

Neither the current Palm nor HP have demonstrated the chops to be successful in this industry. What makes anyone so sure that the combination of product and marketing fails of these two companies will produce a world-beating product this time. As a technology lover, I hope they take their time and do something worthwhile, rather than just throw buckets of money at an old, failed product refresh, or just another iPhone wannabe. I am hoping for something fresh and newly envisioned. I just have no confidence that either Palm or HP have those kind of chops. Desire and enthusiasm, they have both in abundance. What they don't have is a recent track-record of success in the phone and tablet space.

And that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so.
    I agree with you on that. As I said the product will determine if they can be a player. They bring us the Lebron James of Cell phones they will be in the game. ( and they really need a game changer) Bring us the Stephon Marbury of phones and they will be hanging out with the Kin.

Quote Originally Posted by prince201 View Post
    It has NOTHING to do with loyalty. This is my first Palm phone and if there were something better, I would have no problem upgrading. The fact of the matter is, the phone did not "fail," it underperformed. The only complete failure has been their failure to capitalize when they have a buzz going. They failed in the eyes of ppl who expected them to compete with the top dogs in the industry, yes. That was never realistic. IMO, ppl other than Iphone owners don't really have brand loyalty and if Palm and HP can bring Hardware to the table to match the software they will succeed.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hahahaha! That depends on if you're talking about the good Stephon Marbury or the one that cries while eating vaseline?!
    You know the one I am talking about. took money for nothing. Must be an exciting time at the garden. I got WFan and ESPN radio on all day . Listening to the Lebron watch. I am facinated by the Lebron James stuff . Also the dwayne wade and Boche stuff too.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/03/2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Haha exciting, tiring, frustrating...
    I just read that the Kincks started the presentation with a video of Tony Saprano and Carmella shopping for a home for Tonys new guest. "Lebron James" Carmella goes online and she says she has the perfect place for Tonys friend. Madison Square Garden. Awesome. Love that James Gandelphini and Edie Falco reprised there Sapranos roles for this. The knicks know Lebrons favorite show ever is the Sapranos. Again Awesome.

ILoveDesseert Sorry to go off topic with the Lebron stuff.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/04/2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm glad that MS. Is killing products because they really need to streamline their product line. Choice isn't always a good thing and I feel that users care less and less about trying to define themselves based on classifications. Home/Student/Business/TweenPhone/AdultPhone is an outdated way to sell things so a more unified "Windows", "Office" or "Phone" approach would help their public image.
    This was all an embarassing and very expensive kill though. They could have done so much better with Danger. The choice of having a fully functioning dumbphone was a good idea. Many mainstream people are still intimidated by smartphones or do not need all those features and apps. MSFT just failed miserably at it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This was all an embarassing and very expensive kill though. They could have done so much better with Danger. The choice of having a fully functioning dumbphone was a good idea. Many mainstream people are still intimidated by smartphones or do not need all those features and apps. MSFT just failed miserably at it.
    Did the device fail or did the carrier? Okay, yes the device failed. BUT I still attribute part of the failure to the carriers for not offering a lower priced data plan. Even if I had a teen kid who came home with a free iPhone or EVO then I wouldn't let them use it because data plans are ridiculous.

Kids nowadays want smartphones but data plans price them out of their (and their parents) reach. But if this was a $49 device with a $5/mo capped internet device then it would work out in both basic features and parental approval.

This is what I meant when I mentioned that Pre users aren't very different than Kin. As powerful as the Pre is, most people use it for basic tasks and don't bother with apps. So considering the Pre is FREE now at HP then if a $5 plan was available to make it affordable to kids then the Pre would have a gigantic market niche.

HP has an uphill battle in trying to sell WebOS in an Android/iOS/WinMo world so why not go for the casual users crowd. It worked for Nintendo.
    Last edited by Urkel; 07/04/2010 at 03:06 PM.
    I wouldnt include WinMo in that . there market share continues to fall every quarter, the big players are Android-Iphone-RIM-Symbian . Below them is WinMo and unfortunatley at the bottom is webos.
  12.    #32  
    Hi,

You have a very valid point about a dumb phone. I know quite a few people, who will not use a smart phone and these are tech savvy people. They just want a small easy to operate phone, that gets a good signal, is light and easy to put in a pocket or a purse. This includes my g/f. Then of course there is my Mom's generation, she will be 87 is a few weeks. She has a cell and can use it, but anything beyond that, is just too much for her. Mind you she is a very tech person, she is the daughter of an electrician and can fully explain, how the most com;ext of machinery works.

Here is perfect example:

As a disabled person, I listen to talking books, since I have a great deal of trouble, holding a book or looking down at a book. The Library of congress has the National Library Service (NLS), which is part of the Library of Congress, (LOC).

Books were on tape until a few months ago, now they are also coming out in a format that is compressed and encoded. The encoding only allows, the books to be played in special players.

One is a very plain vanilla machine. Play, FF,rev, volume, speed and tone. (built in circuitry automatically alters the voice during playback, so it doesn't sound like mickey mouse, (You can speed up play back approx. 20% or slow it down 10%. The tone automatically adjust the machine, to play back in as close an approximation of the narrators regular speaking voice).

The next version of the machine machine, lets you skip to each chapter, multiple book marks etc....

These machines are about 12 x 8", they are luggable, (approx 2 1/2 lbs), but not portable as an Ipod is. These two versions are free for life and are on loan form the NLS/LOC, (your choice of one machine per person). The reason why they are on loan and not given out, is so that they are repaired for free by the NLS/LOC.

These books use a SD card fitted into a special cartridge, that is easy for a blind person to insert into the machine. Both models allow for downloading as well as playing cartridges. (You need to use a jump drive to do so & download special software to the jump drive, they download books to it).

Now if you want unit that would fit on a belt, the entire machine is about the size of cassette. The units you have to buy are expensive, ranging between $350 to $400. They play mp3, conventional digital books thru audible and NLS/LOC format. They have over 27 buttons and even I who had a PC, when they still used 8" floppies, (about 25 years ago), has to stop and think how to use some of the functions.

Yet, the vast majority of the people in the program, are not tech savvy and cannot use these portable machines. I have been on the case, of the 5 companies that make them. There are millions who will never be able to use the machines as they are. In fact, it is one of the 1st times, I can think of when a company put out a unit. with all the bells and whistles BEFORE THEY PUT OUT A STRIPPED DOWN MODEL!

Amer. Printing house for the blind, is thinking of adding a cell phone to theirs.

Just b/c you can technically design and make a very complex machine, doesn't mean people will use it.

Now for companies such as Palm/HP. it makes perfect sense to make smart phones only, after all they are looking for a tech savvy audience. However, MS claims it doesn't want to be a niche player in the cell business...so they must have a dumb phone...to bad they are too dumb to see it!

Take care, Jay

IF ANYONE NEEDS MORE INFO ON THE NLS/LOC PROGRAM, FOR YOURSELF OR OTHERS, JUST PM ME. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE BLIND, YOU CAN BE DISABLED IN ANOTHER WAY. THE PROGRAM IS FREE FROM THE NLS/LOC & THE US GOVT! TAKE CARE, JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Agree ILoveDessert. Microsoft like to accept nothing less then #1 in everything., they cant accept that being second. Why they lose money on Xbox just so it can sell . I still like my PS3 alot better. Windows Mobile will always be a niche system . They cant compete with Android and Iphone ( then again no one can) and Microsoft cant accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Did the device fail or did the carrier? Okay, yes the device failed. BUT I still attribute part of the failure to the carriers for not offering a lower priced data plan. Even if I had a teen kid who came home with a free iPhone or EVO then I wouldn't let them use it because data plans are ridiculous.

Kids nowadays want smartphones but data plans price them out of their (and their parents) reach. But if this was a $49 device with a $5/mo capped internet device then it would work out in both basic features and parental approval.

This is what I meant when I mentioned that Pre users aren't very different than Kin. As powerful as the Pre is, most people use it for basic tasks and don't bother with apps. So considering the Pre is FREE now at HP then if a $5 plan was available to make it affordable to kids then the Pre would have a gigantic market niche.

HP has an uphill battle in trying to sell WebOS in an Android/iOS/WinMo world so why not go for the casual users crowd. It worked for Nintendo.
    Did you read Ars Technica and Engadget's story on the Kin?

Yes, Verizon had a cheap data plan scheduled but MSFT messed around so long, Verizon said "screw it" after the long delay caused by MSFT.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Did you read Ars Technica and Engadget's story on the Kin?

Yes, Verizon had a cheap data plan scheduled but MSFT messed around so long, Verizon said "screw it" after the long delay caused by MSFT.
    It's a shame this data plan never went through because it would be a great experiment for the industry. Would there be a market for a "not so smartphone" + $10/mo limited data plan, or would kids still stick with their old flip phones in hopes that they can save enough for a real smartphone + $40/mo data plan.

I kinda wish they would do this with the remaining Pre inventory simply because if it succeeds then the Pre legacy won't be all about bad hardware and a buggy OS.
    Did Verizon really screw them up? Because the Engadget article said that Verizon had agreed to a not-so-smart plan but the realities of the Studio feature - pushing to a cloud all the images, videos and facebooking, etc. - meant that even though it wasn't that smart of a phone, it was still data intensive, if used like it was intended.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12