Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not a apple fan from day one...but posting this here proves that Lord Steve almighty's followers will over take Tom Cruise's Scientology very soon
    Personally, I am impressed with the way he acted.

Not at all impressed with the histrionic whiner.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    And "Life is like a box of choco-lates.... you never know what you're gonna get"
    What she really said was, "Life is like a box of Apples. Occasionally one of them is rotten or sour. And when you bite in to one that has gone bad, just remember that IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU ARE HOLDING IT WRONG!!!!..."
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Personally, I am impressed with the way he acted.

Not at all impressed with the histrionic whiner.
    Not very CEO-like. He should either have ignored the email, had it handled by the people he pays to do that, or handled it with graciousness.

Think about all the crap that the CEO of BP has taken for his poor word choices. Of course, this isn't near as awful as the mess in the gulf, but you get my point about leaders needing to be magnanimous and respectful in their public statements.

Let's try to stick with a standard expectation for professionalism from leaders we elect or who benefit from our purchases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    What she really said was, "Life is like a box of Apples. Occasionally one of them is rotten or sour. And when you bite in to one that has gone bad, just remember that IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!..."
    When you bite into a rotten apple just remember, there's nothing wrong with it. You're just holding it the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Not very CEO-like. He should either have ignored the email, had it handled by the people he pays to do that, or handled it with graciousness.

Think about all the crap that the CEO of BP has taken for his poor word choices. Of course, this isn't near as awful as the mess in the gulf, but you get my point about leaders needing to be magnanimous and respectful in their public statements.

Let's try to stick with a standard expectation for professionalism from leaders we elect or who benefit from our purchases.

it's a new world. If a CEO is going to be accessible by email (generally acknowledged as a cool thing by people) then they responses are not going to be highly polished PRPRPR $pieces$ ($for$ $which$ $Job$-$haters$ $would$ $rip$ $him$ $up$ $for$).

So the dude can't win for losing with people with an axe to grind. I laud him for 1) answering, 2) not answering with BS and 3) not telling the guy to shove it.

Win, win, win.

Seriously, I never cared two shakes about any of the people behind any of these companies - they are all guys out to make a BIG buck at my expense - all I care about is the product.

But I just became a fan, strictly for the lack of BS he displayed. i value that in people.
    Lack of BS? He told a CUSTOMER with a legitimate and proven product issue that is was a "non-issue".

That's the very definition of BS in my book.

For the record, I'm still of the opinion that this whole thing is BS. I'm not convinced this is real at all.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    it's a new world. If a CEO is going to be accessible by email (generally acknowledged as a cool thing by people) then they responses are not going to be highly polished PRPRPR $pieces$ ($for$ $which$ $Job$-$haters$ $would$ $rip$ $him$ $up$ $for$).

So the dude can't win for losing with people with an axe to grind. I laud him for 1) answering, 2) not answering with BS and 3) not telling the guy to shove it.

Win, win, win.

Seriously, I never cared two shakes about any of the people behind any of these companies - they are all guys out to make a BIG buck at my expense - all I care about is the product.

But I just became a fan, strictly for the lack of BS he displayed. i value that in people.
    I agree with your first part, but I think he really IS telling the guy to "shove it".

If we haven't learned anything else from Clinton and other leaders that mess up, the more you deny your mistakes, the more unforgiving people become as they realize you aren't being truthful.

If he would just "cowboy up" and say oops, we'll get that fixed... sorry about that... everyone would just walk away. but dismissing things or pretending they aren't happening just ruins their credibility.

Look at the way Toyota handled things at first, and how they eventually figured out they needed to go extra far in the other direction.

Look at how BP has "tried" to handle things. Not that their CEO has made the best word choices, but you hear things like "deeply sorry" and "I understand" and "we will take responsibility"... that's all written and heavily coached by people that know this.

It's rarely the mistake that gets people in trouble, it's the cover up. Ask Nixon, Clinton, John Edwards, Gov Sanford, former Gov Spitzer, Blogoyavich, etc.

Remember the sage advice Jack Ryan gives in "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy. Loosely paraphrased, he said "don't give them any place to go. If they say he's a friend -say 'no, he's a good friend'. If they say "he's a close friend - say 'no, we were very close'. Don't give them any place to go."

In this case, instead of dismissing the issue and demonizing people having the problem, it would be better to validate and say that it is even more serious than first reported - and therefore being addressed more quickly than reported.

Remember when the first iPhone saw a quick price drop and Apple sent $100 iTunes cards to the early purchasers? They didn't need to do that, but it sure did earn them a lot of good will. Here they could promise a fix, send everyone a bumper, or just acknowledge the issue... and deflect the problem.

That could all be done with a very few short words from a CEO sending email from his iPhone...
    The "issue" is the most wildly overblown issue since HG Wells "War of the Worlds."

Sure, its an issue. Is it an issue of monumental proportions? Affecting everyone in the universe, or even the majority of iPhone users? more than a few percent?
    is it crippling a country?

Not at all.

Either give the company a minute to fix it, return the product or shut up.

We have choices as consumers. But berating CEOs who, contrary to some people's belief, do not have a magic switch that make things perfect, is the response of a neanderthal, not a functioning normal human.
    If this issue were anywhere NEAR the pervasiveness among actual users, (and by issue, I don't mean dropping bars, but dropping calls) instead of by pundits, or people hoping Apple fails, i would pay more attention.
    If this issue were anywhere NEAR the pervasiveness among actual users, (and by issue, I don't mean dropping bars, but dropping calls) instead of by pundits, or people hoping Apple fails, i would pay more attention.
    It's a little hard to tell because EVERY iPhone user I know has ALWAYS had lots of dropped calls and poor call quality. I hate it when they call because it is always hard to hear them, even in good coverage.

I've been under the assumption that Apple would "fix" this issue by updating the software to simply leave more bars showing when it sees that the problem is starting. That way users will just assume they have a good signal and blame AT&T for the dropped call. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't always done things like that, because AT&T is such an easy target.

That's why I moved off AT&T about 5 years ago, and never looked back.
    My opinion?

The iPhone user was rightfully upset, but was disrespectful and over-reactive.

Despite what most people want to believe, there is always room for manners, respect and diplomacy when one has issues that they are reporting.

Im NOT a Steve Jobs/Apple fan, in the slighest, but, IMO, I dare say, he did act with restraint in his responses....

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

We have choices as consumers. But berating CEOs who, contrary to some people's belief, do not have a magic switch that make things perfect, is the response of a neanderthal, not a functioning normal human.
    That would be fine if that CEO didn't frequently speak and act as if he has a magic switch, and if his customers wouldn't also hold him up as being above reproach. Jobs is the one that uses superlatives like "magical" and "amazing"...

watch this video. Listen to the background music and watch the response of the audience:

Then watch this "amazing, incredible, great, awesome" consolidation of the way Jobs uses superlatives in the absence of content:

That's funny no matter who you are...
    Good god, will people EVER quit getting their feelings hurt over presentation speeches??

the only people I have ever heard who accuse Steve Jobs of arrogance or being "magical" are fans of Windows, or other phones.

Grow up. He's a CEO. He is in a business. You are consumer. Choose your favorite product. You don't have to demonize a CEO in order to validate your choice!

(And calling Jon Rubenstein, "Ruby" like he's your buddy is just as bad, IMO)
    steve jobs could have chosen not to respond. I'm sure he does not personally respond to every email he gets. I'm also pretty confident he gets emails that are way more emotional than this.
    he did respond...and for a man in his position... He really handled it poorly.
    if you can read into the customers concerns... His reputation for supporting apple products as a tech enthusiast os at risk, in his opinion. His bragging rights....etc. Every man can relate to this...its what we do. We give each other crap about sports teams etc..
    so, as a devoted apple consumer, he is ****ed that jobs is blowing this off and calling it a non-issue.This is the perfect example of what's wrong with the culture @ apple. If anyone here wants to act like they don't stand behind their tech choices...debate why they think they are better...etc... Then I must say we have some hypocrites amongst us.
    as most of you very well know... I am a passionate palm user.. And I am proud of that.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/01/2010 at 04:30 PM.
    The "issue" is the most wildly overblown issue since HG Wells "War of the Worlds."

Sure, its an issue. Is it an issue of monumental proportions? Affecting everyone in the universe, or even the majority of iPhone users? more than a few percent?
    is it crippling a country?

Not at all.

Either give the company a minute to fix it, return the product or shut up.

I dont get it earlier you said u can careless about the big CEO's now u r ready to take a bullet for LORD STEVE....so which one is it...
    Good god, will people EVER quit getting their feelings hurt over presentation speeches??

the only people I have ever heard who accuse Steve Jobs of arrogance or being "magical" are fans of Windows, or other phones.

Grow up. He's a CEO. He is in a business. You are consumer. Choose your favorite product. You don't have to demonize a CEO in order to validate your choice!

(And calling Jon Rubenstein, "Ruby" like he's your buddy is just as bad, IMO)
    You are wrong to assume I am a Windows fan. Hardly.

Try this video, where Jobs says that Microsoft makes 3rd-rate products, and that Microsoft would never have adopted proportional fonts if it weren't for Apple. Really?

And the second half of the video shows Ballmer saying even dumber things, while blaming all their troubles on IBM...

Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I dont get it earlier you said u can careless about the big CEO's now u r ready to take a bullet for LORD STEVE....so which one is it...
    Way to live in Hyperbole-land. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    My opinion?

The iPhone user was rightfully upset, but was disrespectful and over-reactive.
    Let's put that email thread in context, assuming the story is true. In context:

• The guy put a video on youtube showing the issue.
    • Apple then REACHED OUT TO HIM to discuss it.
    • Apple asked him not to post any more videos like that (wuh?)
    • His email was to the engineer, and he copied Jobs
    • Jobs chose to engage in a thread he was COPIED on.

And, while we are on this, what could possibly be OK about Apple asking him to not post videos? They just can't take criticism. Want proof? go to the AT&T site and look at the user reviews for phones. Notice that there are no reviews for the iPhone, and no place to submit one. Really, Steve? The iPhone is the ONLY phone that can't be reviewed by actual customers. EVERY other phone has user reviews. You wouldn't be reading this if you didn't value on-line community and sources of actual user experiences...

And yet, you defend these arrogant people that try to prevent anyone from saying something negative? Really? (BTW -say those 'Really' comments in your best Seth Myers voice).

At some point apple fans MUST start to realize that a serious corner has been turned, and the guild is off the rose. Still a great company with awesome products, IMHO, but not worthy of the pedestal they have been living on...
    Re-evaluate your life, Prioritize your problems, Get over it.[/QUOTE]

It's exactly the message i feel Jobs was trying to get to.. He definitely comes off as level-headed. I don't have an opinion of him other then he handled it in a similar way I would have. Media, and gossip make things 100 x worse then it really was.. Really..
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast