Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, I know we all love the ____ vs. ____ discussions...

Yeah, it hardly seems like a fair comparison. But I'm no loyalist, and for what I do the Pixi will probably fill the bill. Plus, I've always liked WebOS and my shiny iPhone 4 gets crappy reception at work.

At the moment I have both phones: AT&T iPhone & Verizon Pixi Plus. One week left to return the iPhone before I am stuck with it for better or worse.

I made a list of "Pros vs. Cons" with a wighted score for each device. As you will notice, they come out dead even. Keep in mind I rated 1-5 (5 = highest) based on MY needs and preferences. By no means is this a scientific comparison of the two devices. They both just happen to be the front runners right now.

And for the record I can't stand using Android, so I'm not really considering that an option. I've also ruled out the Pre because the Pixi is as fast as I need it to be with a much better size.

Here's my comparison: Palm Pixi Plus vs iPhone 4
    id take the iphone. The Pixis are soooo last year (literally)

I only just got my pixi because I am staying on sprint and want to stick to webos. So I have the pre and pixi
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

I'd take the Pixi. I like webOS, and I don't want this:
    iphone was awesome in 07. It's 2010 now! You know what to get
    Ya know what, i'm sure you guys will hate me but, go with the iphone 4. The only thing bad about it is that metal band that goes around it is also the antenna, so you may get bad reception if you cover the whole thing with your hand. When they release a jailbreak for it it will be crazy. it's processor is amazing, its just an all around great phone. I love my pixi, but if i could own an iphone 4 on verizon i would. I have to disagree on notifications, music, video and email, the iphone takes it. I disagree with keyboard, because even though it has predictive search, the iphone has a touch keyboard. Those are my opinions though. I work with ipod touch's and iphones & hack, SSH and customize them but am biased in no way.
    I say pick your carrier first. If you like at&t... Both phones will work. If you like to tweak and hack your phone... Iphone isn't intended for that.

what are you using now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I say pick your carrier first. If you like at&t... Both phones will work. If you like to tweak and hack your phone... Iphone isn't intended for that.

what are you using now?

totally agree!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    If you have no problem with AT&T's service, then I would go for the iPhone 4. Yes, it has its faults, but all in all, it is a fantastic mobile device. You could always buy a used Pixi Plus later if you decide you still want the webOS experience.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Seriously considered swapping my Pixi for an Iphone 4. After playing with a friends it just didnt seem worth the transition. Webos is too functional to give up, the hard keyboard also does it for me.
  10.    #10  
    AT&T is not terrible in my area, though I do have trouble with reception at the office. But what makes it a tough call is that there's just something intangible about the Pixi that really draws me to it. Mobile hotspot is really nice to have, so I probaby wouldn't opt for a Pixi on AT&T.
    Mobile hotspot burns your battery. I would only use it in emergency situations. Multi tasking on iphone 4 is quicker also.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

what are you using now?
    I have had an iPhone since 2007. Currently I have a new iPhone 4, a deactivated iPhone 3GS, and a Palm Pixi Plus.

(I also have an iPad, so even if the iPhone4 goes back, I still have two iDevices to play around with but no Retina Display.)

-n8
    [QUOTE=Workerb33;2534100]I'd take the Pixi. I like webOS, and I don't want this:
    [img]

LMAO!
    Are you serious? I honestly think the jailbreak for the iphone far exceeds the pixis preware, as well as the applications. And with installous (i can talk about it since it's not an iphone forum!) you can get the free applications. The only thing i can say is nice about the app catalog for the pixi is that the prices are reasonable, the app store for the idevices are rediculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Are you serious? I honestly think the jailbreak for the iphone far exceeds the pixis preware, as well as the applications. And with installous (i can talk about it since it's not an iphone forum!) you can get the free applications. The only thing i can say is nice about the app catalog for the pixi is that the prices are reasonable, the app store for the idevices are rediculous.
    Is a method for jailbreaking the iphone4 already??
    Go to the dev teams website. Do a search for iphone dev team.
    Between those two phones, I'd say take the iPhone. If it was a Pre Plus then that'd be a different story
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Between those two phones, I'd say take the iPhone. If it was a Pre Plus then that'd be a different story
    I don't like the Pre form factor, it's a bit too chubby for my left front pocket. The Pixi is fast enough for me. I was just curious if anyone else would think of anything I didn't think of. Seems like the majority say to stick with Apple.

I considered the mobile hotspot to be a big plus for the Pixi but it sounds like most people consider it impractical due to high battery drain. While Verizon is the better network, I get decent coverage with AT&T in most places except at work, and areas outside the city which I don't frequent that often. As for the lack of iOS4 support on Ubuntu, I reckon I could either get a cheap iPod for the car, or perhaps rsync my music library to my Macbook and just use iTunes.

Still, I have till next Thursday and I really do like using this friggin' Pixi

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I don't like the Pre form factor, it's a bit too chubby for my left front pocket. The Pixi is fast enough for me. I was just curious if anyone else would think of anything I didn't think of. Seems like the majority say to stick with Apple.

I considered the mobile hotspot to be a big plus for the Pixi but it sounds like most people consider it impractical due to high battery drain. While Verizon is the better network, I get decent coverage with AT&T in most places except at work, and areas outside the city which I don't frequent that often. As for the lack of iOS4 support on Ubuntu, I reckon I could either get a cheap iPod for the car, or perhaps rsync my music library to my Macbook and just use iTunes.

Still, I have till next Thursday and I really do like using this friggin' Pixi

-n8
    The Pixi does have a beautifully implemented keyboard, it was a pleasure to type with - that was the main attraction for me.

As always you have to make the final decision - I think you've done a great job of weighing the pros and cons objectively (a skill which not everyone has and it's a great asset to you). Let us know your decision when you've made it
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Alright, I know we all love the ____ vs. ____ discussions...

Here's my comparison: Palm Pixi Plus vs iPhone 4
    On your Email comparison you have them equal. From what I have seen from peoples iPhone 3GS and with the 3GS with iOS 4 installed, is the mail service on the Pre/Pixi is better organized. It has the nice account synergy, exchange, easy to look at multiple accounts, notifications, etc.

So in that Case the scroe should be:

Pixi: 66
    iPhone: 65

THERE...problem solved, get the Pixi. Plus I wouldnt lock myself into Apple's dictatorship mentality.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast