Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    OK, N8, from a logic standpoint: you keep referring to resale value. I got my Pixi for nothing. Free phone, free activation, etc. My local ATT store matched the online price for me. I just had to re-up for 2 more years with ATT, and as I said earlier, that's not an issue for me. I have had nothing but great service and greater customer support from them.

You don't buy a phone to sell it; you buy it to use (and hopefully, enjoy) it. If you are reaching back for your old Pixi on a regular basis, I think that speaks volumes. And, if after a few weeks you feel like you made the wrong choice, take it back, spend $35 on the restock fee, and pick up your iPhone.

Good luck!
    tim
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    OK, N8, from a logic standpoint: you keep referring to resale value
    The reason I refer to resale is because I am a gadget freak, and I like to get a new phone once a year or so. Being able to sell the iPhone to cover the ETF means I can get off AT&T or upgrade to the latest device pretty much any time I want without losing much money.

Whereas with Verizon and the Pixi, I have no way to recover the ETF since they only sell for about $30-50 on CL. So say I go with the Pixi, and in two months Palm/HP drop a SWEET new WebOS device, which of course I will absolutely NEED. (priorities, you know!)

My luck, it will be on Sprint ONLY. So if I absolutely HAD to have it, I'd have to pay $330 to dump Verizon, and then recoup only about $30-50 leaving me out between $280-300. (not to mention whatever the new hotness costs.)

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who doesn't mind hopping carriers / phones to be able to rock the latest gear, so that's a perspective I always consider. I'm not very good with commitment, and I have Google Voice as my main incoming number

Cheers,

-n8
  3.    #43  
    Just to bring everyone up to speed, I'm currently evaluating two phones, the Verizon Palm Pixi Plus and the AT&T iPhone 4. I've owned iPhones now for 3 years but have considered myself a WebOS fan since day one. I had a Launch-Day Pre for a few weeks before I returned it after reading many hardware horror stories. WebOS was quite immature at the time and still felt like it needed some time in the oven, and I knew the iPhone was a solid device that would suit my needs. In other words, I played it safe

After experiencing some reception issues with the new iPhone 4, I decided to grab a Verizon Pixi Plus and check it out while I'm still able to return the iPhone 4. I've always liked the Pixi Plus and I felt the $35 restocking fee was an acceptable price to pay to determine if I really wanted to bond myself to AT&T for another two years.

I've worked out the numbers and either way I come out about the same financially, even if a few months from now I decided to switch back to either device. The Verizon plan is a few bucks cheaper, but I sacrifice rollover. If I ditch AT&T, I can NEVER get an Unlimited data plan again, which admittedly makes me somewhat reluctant to ditch them.

So today there was a parade going on outside my flat. Decided to run out and do a quick camera test of moving and fixed subjects in bright daylight. (yeah, I know it's incredibly unfair. it was a "can I live with this?" sort of thing....)

- Took the iPhone off the charger at 10:30 AM today.
    - Made a 2 min phone call, read and deleted about 5-6 emails.
    - Looked up a recipe & emailed it to myself.
    - Took a 1 minute video of a parade (in stunning 720p, though a tad shaky)
    - Shot 6 photos of the parade
    = 98% battery @ 12:45 PM

- Took the Pixi off the touchstone at 12:20 PM today.
    - Shot 30 seconds of video of the parade (screen was REALLY tough to see)
    - Took 4 pictures of the parade
    = 84% battery @ 12:45PM

The video was dark and almost un-watchable from the Pixi. The video on the iPhone was bright and crisp, even when watched in full screen. Photos came out brilliant as well. While shooting video and photos with the Pixi, it was tough to see what I was actually capturing.

I know it's quite unfair to compare Apple's 2010 flagship to Palm's 2009 "budget" segment hardware but with the Pixi I would end up having to remember to bring a camera (+ spare battery or charger) and it would be harder to capture those spontaneous moments that always seem to pop up when you've only got a mobile phone handy.

One thing the Pixi still has going for it is music. I just spent half a day getting Ampache set up and was really looking forward to using it over 3G. It works beautifully on the Pixi over Verizon's 3G. The equivalent (albeit quite inferior) app for the iPhone was required by Apple/AT&T to be WIFI only. Furthermore, I still can't sync my iPhone with Ubuntu which leaves me with only Pandora and the prospect of $10/mo for Rhapsody.

Once again, the iPhone 4 seems like the winner in all practical areas, but for some strange reason I am still madly in love with the Pixi in an irrational and impractical sort of way.

Current Score Card:

Pixi Hits: Music Sync w/Linux, Ampache via 3G, Verizon Network, Form Factor, Keyboard, Email, Community, Touchstone
    Pixi Misses: Battery, Fingerprints, Camera, Depreciation, Small Browser Text

iPhone Hits:
    Battery, Screen/Text Visibility, Copy/Paste, Oleophobic Coating, Camera, Resale Value, Works with my clock radio
    iPhone Misses: Music Sync w/Linux, AT&T Network, No Ampache Via 3G, Bigger/Heavier

One final note: I decided to check out some of the homebrew stuff yesterday. I can't believe what great work has been put into WebOS by it's community! Granted, I was a bit hasty and my Pixi ended up seeing the Doctor yesterday, but once I knew exactly what I wanted I've got it all sorted and rock solid. Having to re-synergize all my contacts and IM buddies kind of sucked though!

Anyhow, I am off for the day. Time to break out the Weber and get my grill on! Guess which phone I'll be taking with me today? (hint: I'm bringing a camera.)

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

-n8
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    forgot if mentioned before but if the pixi is that cheap on cl then how about sim swapping between ur 3gs and pixi so ur not signing a new contract and can leave when the new palm phone hits.

edit: I hear there's a micro sim to sim adapter so maybe you can swap between the 4 and pixi?
    Last edited by spare; 07/04/2010 at 09:16 PM.
    natrixgli get an iPhone 4 and save yourself the headache. WebOS needs at least 2 more years to get decent usability and hardware. I wouldn't recommend WebOS to my worst enemy right now. I thought it was going to get better but it hasn't. Promises upon promises have been touted from Palm and I still have this lagging WebOS device.

The jailbreak is coming soon, flash is too. Android is dead in the water till Android Zebra Cakes. I'm telling you, I've been pushing against the "herd" (iPhone buyers) for about 4 years. I got an iPod Touch+ Jailbreak last November and its got me hooked. I use iTunes everyday and it just makes sense to get one. Ease your life, no more half-a-day wastes for configuring streaming music, etc.
  6.    #46  
    I've made my decision. It's going to be the Palm Pixi Plus / Verizon. I returned the iPhone 4 this afternoon and right away nabbed another $10 touchstone charger from Verizon.

The fact is that even though I know the Pixi does less, I love using it a whole lot more than the iPhone. Perhaps I'm bored with iOS after years of pretty much the same thing. Perhaps it's my inner geek pushing me towards a device that is essentially a tiny pocket Linux box. Perhaps i've been spoiled these past two weeks by Verizon's seemingly omnipresent blanket of 3G service.

I'm not divorcing Apple, I will still have my iPad and Macbook which continue to fulfill their purposes quite brilliantly. Having the Pixi's mobile hotspot feature adds an extra degree of freedom to those devices as well, though obviously I won't be using it to view full length films on Netflix any time soon unless I bring plenty of spare batteries.

Oh, and while I was at Verizon getting them to nix my activation fee, they let me play with the Droid X for a little bit. *drool* Too bad I'm not a fan of Android, it's a pretty awesome phone.

-n8
    --------------------------------
    Love hate since launch day.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    You have learned well, Grasshopper! Enjoy your new toy!!!

It's funny this came in tonight, as I thought of you and your decision making while I was mowing the lawn. Instead of just putting in my earplugs to protect myself from my lawn tractor, I decided to use my inner-ear headphones attached to my Pixi. While I was mowing and listening to music, I wondered how well it would do when/if I received a phone call (as in, would it be as seamless as the iPhone seems to be with that?). Five minutes later, my wife called and it was flawless. The music stopped, I talked for a few minutes, I hung up, the music started back up. Other than I can't get my drm-protected songs to play, I am a happy camper right now. (If anyone knows of a good way to convert them WITHOUT having to go back to iTunes, version 7 and using myFair Tunes, I'd love to hear it.)

Anyway, congrats Nate! Keep us posted with how you like your phone.
    tim
  8.    #48  
    Update: Traded Pixi in for a Pre. I'll get used to the form factor, text on non-mobile formatted web pages is much easier to read especially after a few drinks

Will miss the tiny Pixi though! Wish I could have both.

Also I got VZ to wave the restock fee AND keep me eligible for the Droid X in case I absolutely MUST have one Thursday. I gotta say, it is a pretty sexy device. I must spend the next few days reminding myself that I do not like Android!

-n8
    The hunt continues. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I am curious that you did not mention in your side-by-side the Homebrew/Patch/tweak availability, in that you can literally make your own w/WebOS (don't think Mr. Jobs would allow such unfettered access). Further, you didn't mention the multitasking aspect for comparison. Those issues may tip the balance one way or the other. I have not used an iPhone (in any generation), so I cannot offer insight as to those aspects of the functionality of the device. Further, and perhaps this is insubstantial, the iPhone has had 4 generations to refine the hardware. You could really only make the case that the WebOS devices are only on generation 2 at best.

I must lastly say that I am as biased against Apple (Jobs is the devil, but one hell of a businessman) as much as I despise Intel.

Just things to further consider. Hope this helps. I, btw, have a Pre+ that works mightily, it is patched and overclocked, and runs cool and smooth. My wife LOVES her pixi+, especially the keyboard, and I have it overclocked and tweaked as well. Not sure that can be done with an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Update: Traded Pixi in for a Pre. I'll get used to the form factor, text on non-mobile formatted web pages is much easier to read especially after a few drinks

Will miss the tiny Pixi though! Wish I could have both.

Also I got VZ to wave the restock fee AND keep me eligible for the Droid X in case I absolutely MUST have one Thursday. I gotta say, it is a pretty sexy device. I must spend the next few days reminding myself that I do not like Android!

-n8
    While you are getting used to the pre+ again, enjoy 5GB of wi-fi hotspot per month, courtesy of BIG RED (yet another reason to shed ATT) to go along with that iPad (which still can't multitask)!!
    These two phones are in different classes, the Pixi is an entry level device and the iPhone 4 is high-end. A comparison between the two doesn't seem fair.
    If you have to have a physical keyboard and would like to have spare batteries to extend your usage time without having to have the phone plugged in all the time, go with the Pixi.

If you don't care about having to be plugged in all the time to top off the battery, and do not mind having an on screen keyboard, get the iPhone.

But if you want to have a phone with the most intuitive operating system and decent performance on average hardware, go with the Pixi.

But if you want to have an awesome camera and a nice large screen where you cannot even see the pixels because they are so small and plentiful, go with the iPhone.

But if you find it disturbing that the iPhone earned a "not recommended" listing by Consumer Reports and that Apple is doing everything they can to delete and do away with all negative postings by users wherever possible, including AT&T's own website, go with the Pixi.

But if you want to have access to the largest database of mobile applications on the market, go with the iPhone.

But if you want to be able to tweak your phone out without jailbreaking it, being able to install patches and themes and do all updates over the air without having to be tied to a computer, go with the Pixi.

But if you want to have your phone perform with unsurpassed smoothness and power in the user interface, go with the iPhone.

But if you would rather tell your phone what to do, instead of it telling you what to do, with the best rated notification system that doesn't interrupt you when notifications come in, go with the Pixi.

Hope this makes your decision easier!
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    If...

But if..

But if..

But if..

Hope this makes your decision easier
    Haha, not exactly, but it was a good read. I've already returned the iPhone4 and am on Day 15 with Verizon. (Still have my 3GS on AT&T for now...) Also I have upgraded from the Pixi+ to a Pre+ mainly because of screen size, camera, and superior Ampache Mobile performance. Did I mention how awesome Ampache is on the Pre? It puts the Android and iPhone versions to shame, and works via 3G. iAmpache? Not so much.

I onwed a launch day Pre on Sprint for a few weeks and always loved the phone but this phone feels much better. The tight slider, smooth gesture area, and soft-touch back make a huge difference.

Also got my second touchstone courtesy of VZ for $9.97 today. Did a mod yesterday to fix the annoying cycling on/off problem that was keeping me up at night.

Still a Pre fan, leaning towards keeping it but I'm not gonna cancel AT&T until my 29th day just to be safe. I'd never be able to get my unlimited data plan back!

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    But if you want to be able to tweak your phone out without jailbreaking it, being able to install patches and themes and do all updates over the air without having to be tied to a computer, go with the Pixi.

But if you want to have your phone perform with unsurpassed smoothness and power in the user interface, go with the iPhone.

Hope this makes your decision easier!
    \

Forgot 2 things

1) Palm openly Supports installing patches so would still honor the warranty if a patch (not kernal) was installed

2) install either 800mhz or 1 gig hz kernal and never have to worry about speed again. (warning Palm does not support this)
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Yeah don't give up that unlimited! I have friends with Sprint and VZW Pres and every single time, no matter where we are, my internet is faster, and of course still works while on the phone.

I think that the fit and finish on the VZW Pre+ is just a bit better from what I have seen. I returned my launch day ATT Pre+ a week after to get a replacement because the two halves of the phone didn't quite line up. I sell wireless phones for Fry's Electronics, and the VZW Pre+ I sent my brother in Tampa was so tight! It had absolutely no wiggle keyboard open or closed. Of course it may develop some free play eventually, but all in all the VZW version just seems a bit better built.

Also took a couple pictures of my phone vs my brothers. Notice the difference in the speaker mesh.

More then the Speaker mesh is different
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    More then the Speaker mesh is different
    Well obviously. What I was saying is that the parts that I expected to be the same looked different.
    PIXI for sure. the pixi is now nearly and sometimes faster then my pre after the 1.4.5 update. (pre still on 1.4.1)
    Pixi wins for build quality amongst palm phones. amazing keyboard.
    convinient. good enought screen size for almost all tasks. perfect for on the go.

Chris
    I would like to add to this already great discussion (which i admittedly haven't read completely) that the pixi will be adding some significant functionality very soon.

i don't know if this has been discussed much, but with 1.4.5 there will be PDK apps available, this means a host of new application possibilities. PDK apps, if you are not aware, allow developers to port an iPhone app with relative ease (gameloft says they were able to do this with there advanced 3d games in 3 days)

also, palm said that the update after 1.4.5 will be a major one, (not that 1.4.5 isn't) in the sense of what the user sees. the UI will get GPU use, and this has the potential to completely revitalize the pixi UI and make it much faster/smoother. along with that update new abilities will be given to programers in the form of API's that allow for using other parts of the phones hardware, like the microphone and camera.

its too bad you cant wait it out, or that the 1.4.5 update hasn't dropped for you, because as you know, palms updates sometimes really do alot to the device, and might change that equation enough.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast