Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    THERE...problem solved, get the Pixi. Plus I wouldnt lock myself into Apple's dictatorship mentality.
    Some people have a problem with this, but I'm not one of them. To me it's kind of the same thing as complaining about my VW's closed ecosystem because I can't take it to a GM dealer for service. I probably could take it to the GM dealer but what kind of result would it be? Since they're not used to working on a VW nor do they have the correct tools, I'm guessing the result would be pretty bad.

I'm an Open Source guy, but to me this is a non-issue. I had my fun with jailbreaks/rooting back when smart phones were a novelty for me. Now I'd rather adhere to their intended purpose and functionality in the interest of stability.

For the record, I currently have both phones. They are both great but I find myself wanting to play with the Pixi more and more. I suspect this is largely due to the "new and shiny" factor, whereas the iPhone is the same iOS experience I've used for quite some time, albeit faster and better looking than ever.

The only principle issue I might have with the iPhone, if I were to feel the need to get all political about a phone, would be Apple's denial of the antenna issues. I should not have had to pay $30 for a bumper to solve what amounts to a design oversight. (I can't believe it didn't occur to ME that holding it by the antenna might be a bad thing, and I've been a licensed HAM for 14 years!)

-n8
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Good pro and con list, just one change. Not all categories should be weighed out of 5. Some are more important to you than others and should be allowed more than 5 points imo.

Mobile hotspot burns your battery. I would only use it in emergency situations. Multi tasking on iphone 4 is quicker also.
    Can you explain how it's quicker? Also, use a charger.
    Technically, iPhone 4 but I'd say for an awesome experience any Palm webOS phone Enjoy whatever one you choose.
    Can't wait for my Pré!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Also, use a charger.
    If I plug the Pixi into my Macbook's USB port while Mobile Hotspot is on, will the battery charge faster than it drains?

-n8
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I say pick your carrier first. If you like at&t... Both phones will work. If you like to tweak and hack your phone... Iphone isn't intended for that.

what are you using now?
    I also agree.
    I think either phone is great choice, but I favor the easy one-handed use, keyboard, and gesture system of my Pre. For battery issues, I just carry my Zagg Sparq 2.0 portable battery/charger. The first thing I would consider is carrier service quality. In your area of daily travel, which carrier provides the better service; choose the phone from them. If they carry both(AT&T), then choose one that seems more practical for everyday use, not just for the "wow" factor...Do you prefer to use iTunes? Does the battery last enough to get you through your daily routine? Will having limited data allowance limit your productivity on the phone? Are the apps you like, or can't live without, available on the phone...etc
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    If I plug the Pixi into my Macbook's USB port while Mobile Hotspot is on, will the battery charge faster than it drains?

-n8
    Don't know but it likely depends on the current your macbook usb port provides and how many devices are connected to your hotspot. Try it out?
  7.    #27  
    OK so not only am I totally hung on this decision, but the clear opinions here are split, too (4/4, not including people who didn't give a clear opinion one way or the other.) Of all the phones you'd THINK would be in a dead heat with the iPhone, I can't believe the closest one to end my 3 years of iPhonery has been the modest little Pixi. And I've tried 'em all, folks!

One thing that is starting to perhaps tip me in the direction of staying with the iPhone is AT&T's Rollover. I don't talk a lot, and for those few months that I have the Rollover has allowed me to stay on the cheapest rate plan without incurring voice costs. Plus, my brother has AT&T and he's probably the person I've called the most.

Note: Pixi on AT&T is not an option because I would lose my unlimited data plan.

Sadly AT&T's website does not make it easy to break down past bills by type of minutes used so it's very difficult to assess what kind of impact this would have on my costs per month. As it stands, Verizon is $7/mo cheaper with 450m/250t/Unlimited data....

Hrmphhhh.

-n8
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    OK, I'll chime in, Natrix. I have been with ATT for about 2.5 years, and just like you, it's fine where I live. I had a Centro for two years, and had to wait for over a year for the Pixi to get to ATT. Now that I've had it for a couple weeks, I can honestly say the ONLY reason I would have an iPhone is for better integration of music. With that said, I listen to music on my phone about once a month, so who cares? For the form factor, the physical keyboard, an unbelievably cool notification system, a removable battery, a much slicker OS that truly does multi-task, this is a no-brainer for me. I still have 15 days left to go back and give this phone back and get something else. I am spending zero hours considering that move! (Plus, a little of me deep inside always goes away from the crowd.)

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you come up with.
    tim
    Pixi Calander is amazing! i give it a 5. syncs to google. much easier to put in new events and move events around!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    the ONLY reason I would have an iPhone is for better integration of music.
    It's worth noting that I listen to a lot of music. Unfortunately with the latest iOS4 update, I can no longer put music on my iPhone because I do not use iTunes. I use Ubuntu Linux, and Rhythmbox. It still recognizes the phone and transfers music to it, but it doesn't show up in the iPod application.

I'm sure the libgpod guys will have this sorted eventually but anyone here who's used Linux (and isn't a developer) knows that waiting for fixes and updates can be a long wait.

I have a Macbook, but putting my entire music library on it is not practical, nor is running a virtual machine because the USB speed is so slow that syncing the iPhone takes ages to complete.

-n8
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    Pixi Calander is amazing! i give it a 5. syncs to google. much easier to put in new events and move events around!

Yeah, it's not bad. I would compare it favorably to the iPhone's calendar if not for the fact that we use Zimbra Open Source at work which uses CalDAV. At the moment the iPhone is the only device that supports two-way sync with CalDAV servers.

BTW for those of you who haven't died of utter boredom from this thread, I did pick up a touchstone yesterday and it rulz. It charges the phone SO much faster than USB! Should I go the Pixi route, I will have to pick up another one for the office, and maybe even one for the car.

-n8
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's not bad. I would compare it favorably to the iPhone's calendar if not for the fact that we use Zimbra Open Source at work which uses CalDAV. At the moment the iPhone is the only device that supports two-way sync with CalDAV servers.

BTW for those of you who haven't died of utter boredom from this thread, I did pick up a touchstone yesterday and it rulz. It charges the phone SO much faster than USB! Should I go the Pixi route, I will have to pick up another one for the office, and maybe even one for the car.

-n8
    I'm sure you stole it at RadioShack, like the rest of us, right? $16 for the TS, $8 for the back cover, if there's any left!
    tim
  13.    #33  
    I'm sure you stole it at RadioShack, like the rest of us, right? $16 for the TS, $8 for the back cover, if there's any left!
    I got the back at RS for $6 but they were out of the TS, so I got Best Buy to price match their $19.99 on line price.

-n8
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I got the back at RS for $6 but they were out of the TS, so I got Best Buy to price match their $19.99 on line price.

-n8
    That's funny, because when I went to BB, they did the same thing for me. Then, when I heard about RS, I went there and bought another one! I gotta get me another microUSB cable, though. I didn't realize until I opened one of them that they didn't include one.
    tim
  15.    #35  
    That's funny, because when I went to BB, they did the same thing for me. Then, when I heard about RS, I went there and bought another one! I gotta get me another microUSB cable, though. I didn't realize until I opened one of them that they didn't include one.
    Amazon.com: Palm Pre Original Smart Phone AC USB Wall Adapter + Original Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable: Cell Phones & Service
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Thanks! That beats the heck out of anything I have seen.
    tim
    From a WebOS lover and iPhone OS lover, I've got to pick a couple of nits and put my recommendation behind the iPhone 4. I own an iPhone 3G and will get a new iPhone 4 in 6-10 weeks, after the bugs are worked out. I also own a VZW Pre Plus.

Nit 1. As a VZW WebOS user, I agree with several other users, the hotspot is great in a pinch but it blows through battery. One point, use of the mobile hotspot turns off the phone radio - when the hotspot is on, calls to you go directly into VM. I use it sparingly, and never during business hours.

Nit 2. I'm convinced the "bars" problem is SIM-related. I have a few friends who griped about it - it's like picking a zit, if it doesn't help, why keep picking the zit? Seriously, I've had problems with voice and data, got a new SIM, and the phone's working great again. I told two grumpy friends with iPhone 4 bar issues to get a new SIM, and they did, and the phones are working fine now.

Nit 3. Your "value". The day you walk out the door with your Pixi, it's worth maybe $30 on CL. Maybe. The day you walk out the door with your iPhone 4, it's worth maybe $450-$600 on CL.

Nit 4. One vexing issue with me is "navigation". On the Pixi, you've got Google Maps and VZ Navigator. On the iPhone 4, you've got Mapquest for free voice-driven navigation and Google Maps and Bing and TomTom and Navigon and CoPilot and, well, you get my point here.

Hacking. I haven't JB'ed my iPhone - I'm a developer on that platform and need a mule. I have patched the heck out of my Pre Plus, and like it.

The lack of CardDAV and CalDAV on the WebOS do drive me nuts. I really like the iPhone's visual VM. Mobile Safari blows the WebOS browser away. The WebOS has been an afterthought for developers, and I hope this attitude changes.

Regarding "reception", if you're indoors, strongly consider disabling the WCDMA connection (turning off 3G). I've seen low Ec/No numbers and high RSSI numbers on ATTWS's network in Portland and Seattle, and get good call quality on their 850 GSM network - it only takes a few seconds to toggle 3G. The quick comparison is VZW's generally got voice on their 1X network over 850. I use my Pre Plus for voice, email, and texting, along with some Slacker Radio, but I've given up hope for the platform until there's more announced by HP. Good luck!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb View Post
    From a WebOS lover and iPhone OS lover
    Nit 1. As a VZW WebOS user, I agree with several other users, the hotspot is great in a pinch but it blows through battery
    I've gone from looking at this as a selling point to looking at it as a bonus.

Nit 2. I'm convinced the "bars" problem is SIM-related.
    I'll have to investigate this. I assume I'll have to hit up AT&T for a replacement SIM, not Apple?

Nit 3. Your "value".
    Hard to deny, the iPhone does hold it's value. This makes the decision to go with the Pixi more "irreversible". I've always been able to sell my previous iPhone to cover the cost of the new one.

Nit 4. One vexing issue with me is "navigation".
    Not a huge deal for me, I prefer a separate device for this anyhow.

Hacking. I haven't JB'ed my iPhone
    I never JB either, it's not worth sacrificing stability and performance. OTOH, hacks generally seem safer on WebOS so I don't mind rocking a few patches here and there. I am a Linux user, after all.

The lack of CardDAV and CalDAV on the WebOS
    Fortunately the only CalDAV server I use has a great web interface if I need to add an appointment. I sync to the phone via Google which can read external CalDAV shares.

I really like the iPhone's visual VM.
    Not important to me, I use Google Voice for my voicemail. (transcripts FTW)

Mobile Safari blows the WebOS browser away.
    Especially when coupled with Retina Display, text is a far more readable.

All very good points, thanks for the perspective.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    If you want to make phone calls with your new phone get the Pixi.
  20.    #40  
    I'm very glad that this debate went on without devolving into irrational phone bashing. I admit that in the past I've been drawn into my share of mud-slinging here and elsewhere, but I know that accomplishes very little.

So thanks all for helping me take a subjective look at this choice between to very worthy devices. On paper this choice seems like no contest, yet the scrappy little Pixi puts up one hell of a fight against seemingly more worthy devices once you use it for a while; it really grows on you.

OK Basically I can simplify this now to a simple choice: Emotion vs. Logic.

The iPhone does more, and does many things better, in particular hardware things that can't be changed with apps or updates. It's a better investment due to resale value and demand. The Pixi is more fun to use, smaller, lighter, and feels newer than the iOS I've used for the past three years. Cards, universal search, gesture area, in-app settings: I miss these things badly when I use the iPhone.

My main concern now is that with Verizon's 350$ ETF, and Pixi's poor resale value I'm pretty much stuck should I opt for the Pixi, assuming I don't want to lose a buttload of cash. With the iPhone, I could easily sell it on eBay or CL and cover the 350$ ETF, as well as the 199$ I've paid for it. Plus with all these rumblings about a new Palm device soon, do I want to be stuck? I'm Sure it will go to Sprint first, which will make it out of my reach for some time if I'm tied to Verizon with a phone I can't sell to recover the ETF.

So logic says go with the distinctly more purposeful and powerful iPhone, emotion says go with the slightly sexier and more fun to use Pixi.

At this point I'm leaning iPhone, but I refuse to make a decision before Sunday. I need at least a few more days with the 'lil fella before I give it up. It will be quite hard to give it up though.

For what it's worth, for the past few mornings I've had a choice between the brand new iPhone 4 and the almost year-old Pixi, and more often than not, I grab the Pixi.

-n8
    Last edited by natrixgli; 07/02/2010 at 03:18 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast