Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

Just figured i'd give a review of the Sprint EVO 4G, from a "i really really really love webOS" user's perspective.

I had a day1 pre, it showed all the signs of being just that. The yellow blobs, the loose cover, the bad battery life, but all of those things didn't overshadow the fact that webOS is a BAD *** mobile OS. Knowing that Palm/HP probably won't be releasing any new hardware anytime soon, I needed a more reliable phone (read: hardware).

I kept telling myself I'd just walk into Radioshack and Best Buy randomly and let that decide my fate. For a while they were always sold out, one guy at Radio Shack even laughed at me saying that people were fighting over them. For a while I figured I'd be with the Pre for quite a while until last Saturday. I randomly called a Radio Shack and they answered "thanks for calling Radio Shack, home for the EVO 4G" which I immediately asked "do you have any?". As luck would have it, they did, and I drove down there and got it.

My first impressions of the hardware is that its a nice size/weight, and the screen is just awesome! The OS is snappy with the 1ghz snapdragon. The camera is nice with its focusing lens, although the Pre takes way better quality video IMHO.

Android on the other hand....I just don't like it. I've been using webOS since the day the Pre came out, and i've just gotten used to the fact that it is a multitasking OS created from the ground up. With Android (and iPhone OS) it just feels like multitasking wasn't considered in the beginning and it has been added as a second thought, and not done too well. I love with webOS being able to back out and see what cards I have running, and easily swipe up to close programs, knowing that they are closed. Going back and forth between an email, to a website, all while listening to pandora and getting directions from Sprint Navigation....you just can't do that quickly on Android.

With Android, most programs don't have clear cut "exit" buttons. Sprint Navigation has a nice alert window that pops up asking you if you'd like to exit, but everything else just back out to the home screen leaving you wondering if it closed. For some reason it won't sync with my works exchange server through Android so I had to download "touchdown" to get work email. I had to get information from a text message into an email, but I realized after I started writing the email. So I hit the home button, cut the info out of the text message, went back to touchdown only to find it didn't bring me right back to where I was. So I had to start a new email, input the recipient and then paste the information. I could have done that in seconds on the Pre, and it took quite a while on Android.

The cut/paste feature is nice, the click/hold for context menus is a nice little touch. The battery life is AWESOME. I charged it completely, and discharged it completely 3 full times before doing my regular schedule. It's nice being able to have my phone next to my bed, knowing it won't die overnight like my Pre used to if I didn't have it plugged in. I can get a solid 24+ hours of moderate use out of it. (moderate: emails, text messages, some camera use, navigation in the hour drive to work, a couple of phone calls, and wifi on the entire day at work).

I made the mistake of updating the phone before trying to root it, so I don't have free wifi tethering until someone releases a new binary based on the update.

The on-screen keyboard sucks. It works fine, but I'm not one for an on-screen keyboard. I miss having the hardware keyboard which I could rattle out lines of text without any errors. The auto-correct/suggest feature in Android is very overbearing. If it doesn't understand a word, it won't let you keep typing without choosing from one of the few suggestions it has. That ****ed me off the most, to the point where I disabled text prediction/suggestion all together.

Overall I'm not impressed by Android at all. I feel like I'm having to do way more than I need to, and I'm not fully aware of what the phone is running and not able to switch between things fast enough. I feel like Android needs an ALT-TAB approach like in windows if it can't operate like webOS. That is my main source of frustration. I always told people "I finally have a phone that can keep up with me". Now I feel like I have a phone that has superior hardware, but an operating system that has quite a ways to go before it can stand up to webOS.

I'd be really upset about this all, but the one thing that makes it ok is the fact that my wife still has her Pre. :-D She isn't due for an upgrade until November, but she has the same opinion about the new phone as I do, so she'll be sticking with her Pre, which she loves dearly! Let's hope that Palm/HP releases some new hardware so I can upgrade to whatever that may be in a year.
    <<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    you should download a task manager if you haven't already, it shows everything that is running and allows options for auto-closing apps and other exciting things
    This signature for rent
    You can keep typing on my phone, even if the word isn't on the list.

But then I'm using an old version, maybe they changed it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Very nice real-world review. Thanks
    sorry to hear of your loss (Pre). hopefully you'll get used to the phone to the point where you feel you know how to work it just as smoothly as you did the pre. maybe it'll just take a little bit of time. good luck.
    I'm a long long long time Palm user, from the first Palm to the Palm Centro.

I have played and flirted with the Pam Pre and Pixi many times in the Sprint store.

Having said that, I think you're really still getting used to Android. My Samsung Moment has been the best phone I've used, bar none, so far. And that's so much more crude than the Evo.

With Android, you do NOT need to exit / close out apps. With the way Linux manages memory / apps, there is no need to explicility close out the apps, the way the WebOS does.

I hate to say this, but right now Android is far far better and ahead of the curve than WebOS, especially the ancient Palm Pre / Pixi devices.

Give it some time, you'll truly come be realize the benefits of Android over the currently defunct WebOS and the older devices.

I am hoping beyond hope that HP will revive the Palm / WebOS platform and bring some modern devices to market that can really compete.

Right now the only games in town are iPhone / Android, sadly, especially in the US. I say this as the owner of Blackberry, iPhone, Android, and my old Palm Centro device.

Your review shows an attachment to WebOS, and a physical keyboard, which is understandable. When I upgrade from my Moment, it will be either the Evo or the Samsung Epic (Galaxy S Pro) with the huge keyboard. Android offers so many choices and phones that it's staggering. The Evo is but a drop in the pond in terms of what Android has to offer.

I sincerely hope that HP has the marketing power and clout to bring multiple form factors of WebOS to market.
  8.    #8  
    I feel the card system of webOS is superior to anything that is out there. The fact that you can view information in multiple cards at a time speeds things up for me 10x. Sure Android might have a better foundation being that its Linux based, but i'm speaking purely from a user experience perspective. I've gotten much faster in Android since i've been using it, but i feel in all honesty that things are much more intuitive in webOS. If someone could find a way to get webOS on the EVO, you'd have a perfect phone
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review. I have a day 1 Pre as well and it is falling apart. A quarter section of my screen is bubbling, the oreo effect, the too many cards warning (with no cards open...) and obvious hardware failure points have made it long overdue for a trip to the repair shop. But the most glaring problem I'm experiencing right now is a propensity to completely go black, even on a full charge, when nothing gets the phone to come on other than sitting it on a charger and waiting for it to come back to life. Found myself in a situation yesterday where I thought I was going to be late in picking up my 3 year old from daycare, and the phone simply would not turn on, even after being fully charged. Fortunately I got there in time, but incredibly well before the phone finally started working again.

I had hoped we'd get the Pre Plus (and with it, perhaps updated hardware) on Sprint, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen, and I don't want to leave Sprint. I've been with them since 1997, generally get excellent phone coverage wherever I go, and the plans, plus the 10% fed gov employee discount just makes Sprint the best choice for me. Appears the EVO is simply the only other choice I have that's comparable to the Pre. Incidentally, and this may be a report, I'm still reading through this excellent review before making a decision, but I suspect I'll be jumping to an Evo this weekend, which will be my first phone from someone other than Palm, since my day 1 Treo 650.

Pre vs Evo Review
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Exactly what I've been thinking since reading the various reviews out there. Surely there's a hacker out there who can make this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by djmatix View Post
    If someone could find a way to get webOS on the EVO, you'd have a perfect phone
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    With Android, most programs don't have clear cut "exit" buttons. Sprint Navigation has a nice alert window that pops up asking you if you'd like to exit, but everything else just back out to the home screen leaving you wondering if it closed. For some reason it won't sync with my works exchange server through Android so I had to download "touchdown" to get work email. I had to get information from a text message into an email, but I realized after I started writing the email. So I hit the home button, cut the info out of the text message, went back to touchdown only to find it didn't bring me right back to where I was. So I had to start a new email, input the recipient and then paste the information. I could have done that in seconds on the Pre, and it took quite a while on Android.
    +1

I work as a tech at a local business and I had the pleasure of setting up a users Droid on our exchange server yesterday. Let me just say Pain in the ***.

First off, it wasn't all hunky dory with the pre. I needed certificates but other then that worked out fine. Andriod on the other hand, won't take a certificate without a private key embedded, ie; a p12 file. Not a pfx.. Not a cer.. I ended it getting it working But it wasn't a fun expierence.

I used the EVO myself for a good half and hour, and felt alot of what you had described as above. No easy of use, keyboard lacked, great screen, good feel/weight, fast, no way to see whats running easily.

So to the informative review. Hope to see you back in our camp.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Sure Android might have a better foundation being that its Linux based, but i'm speaking purely from a user experience perspective.
    You do realize that WebOS is Linux, and a more familiar Linux than the Android distro, right?
    The WebOS UI is just the LunaSysMgr application running on top of the underlying Linux system.
    I'm currently looking at a terminal on my phone, running top at the moment. It's very similar to that on my Linux desktop, and many of the same daemons are running. The filesystem layout is close to that of a standard Linux distribution, as well. An X server is available, as well as many GNU tools recompiled for the hardware.
    10+ years of PalmOS and WebOS devices, from Vx through several Clies (until Sony killed them), to Tungsten T5 and T|X, to Centro, to Pre Plus.
    "With Android, you do NOT need to exit / close out apps. With the way Linux manages memory / apps, there is no need to explicility close out the apps, the way the WebOS does.

I hate to say this, but right now Android is far far better and ahead of the curve than WebOS, especially the ancient Palm Pre / Pixi devices."

Wow, that's quite a statement there. you allow no room for anyone to have thier own preferences. That's a shame.

Ive "played" with many mobile OS phones, and, once you get used to the card-based UI I\(which takes all of about 10 seconds to understand), it seems to become intuitive for anyone and everyone who tries it, UNLIKE any other OS out there today. Now, I could be wrong, but, so far, I havent seen or met anyone who hasn't done the "swipe a card to throw it away and smile because its so simple" thing.

You may like Android better, and that's ok.. we all have our preferences, but, to say that Android is far better and ahead of the curve than WebOS" is, well, just YOUR opinion, and certainly not that of the majority those in the media and world in general, not to mention HP!

IMO, of course!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I just made the switch from the Pre to the EVO as well... still in the trial period, obviously. unfortunately, my Pre was plagued with the cracked USB port creeping it's way to the screen... i figure it was time to move on to some better hardware.

Here's my take:

What is miss on the Pre:
    1. Elegant multitasking. You really can't beat the way that the pre's multitasking abilities. Android multitasks, but it's a bit more clunky and not nearly as simplistic as the cards view. There's no clear-cut way to determine if you've really closed out of an app unless you bring up "services running". And I miss not being able to see two apps on the same screen (notepad + web browser when you're trying to type a password in the web browser from the notepad)

2. Notifications. I've managed to customize the notification on the EVO to somewhat be similar to that simple to see icons. It works on Android, but just like multitasking, it just isn't as elegant.

3. Gestures. I've gotten so used to the gestures on the Pre, it's become second nature and quicker to swipe away stuff than keep pressing the back/home button.

4. Synergy. Pre's got it, Android.. well, kinda does, but again, a bit clunky.

5. Screen. Love the massive real estate on the EVO. However, i find that the colors were a bit more vibrant on the Pre. I've also noticed (after comparing images on both phones) a bit of color banding in the EVO which you wouldn't see on the Pre. I ported all of my pictures from my Pre to EVO and when I was looking at the screen captures of my Pre on the EVO, that's when I noticed the that the screen captures didn't look nearly as good on the EVO.

What Android wins out on:
    1. Apps. It's an obvious win. There's alot of customizations I was able to do on the EVO that would have required either Preware or rooting to do on the Pre. I was pleasantly surprised there was an app out there that allows me to modify all the visuals within the SMS app. I will NOT miss transferring image files back/forth from the computer/pre just to change the color of my chat bubbles. :-p

2. SNES emulator. Just loaded this thing and i can run all my all time fav SNES roms because I'm a geek. Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, FF2, FF3, Earthbound... no Problem! I was never able to get the SNES to run properly to be playable on the Pre.

3. VOICE. Voice memos, voice search.... these were biggies that the Pre was missing that I was hoping that would be implemented, but haven't been.

4. Battery life! While people are complaining about the battery life on the EVO, I'm finding the stock battery to last me longer than my extended Seidio battery on the Pre.

5. Build quality. You go from "oreo" screens and cracked screens to light leakage and screen separation.. you just can't win. My Pre = cracked usb door creeping up to the screen... this was out of nowhere. Major fail right there. EVO feels alot more solid even though it's plastic as well. I haven't had any screen separation issues, but only time will tell.

6. General UI smoothness. I was fine with my Pre, but didn't notice how laggy and sometimes unresponsive it was until I started using the EVO. Maybe it was just my customizations I did to the Pre, so experiences may vary from user to user.

Was kinda iffy on the switch and totally did not like Android the first day. However, the more I used it, the better I liked it. I definitely would consider switching back to a WEBOS device once they get the hardware quality back up. I still use my Pre when I'm at the gym... It's my podcast/mp3 player and it's so much easier to carry around and email/browser still work over wifi.
    Last edited by turbooxide; 06/30/2010 at 03:28 PM.
    ...Sure Android might have a better foundation being that its Linux based...
    Just wanted to point out that webOS is, in fact, also linux-based.

As far as your overall point that Palm needs better hardware, I couldn't agree more!
    I hate to say this, but right now WebOS is far far better and ahead of the curve than Android, especially the ancient G1/MyTouch devices.

IMO,

I just couldn't resist.
    If you miss WEB OS and the Pre you should go back to the Pre. Not every phone is for every person. there are great things about WEBOS. if the Pre was not such a junky peice of hardware it might actually have had a chance considering how easy and simple webos is. For some people a Pre is a much better phone then a Android phone or Iphone. You tried the Evo and it wasnt for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    Got an EVO and a Pre here too.
    So far Android OS is Fing garbage from the dark ages.
    I don't want to go through 5 different email inboxes. I want unified e-mail messaging.
    I don't want to put in a PIN code every damn time the phone screen goes dark. What do you mean I can't patch this.
    I want card view when toggling around.
    I don't want a fricking widget just to turn gps, bluetooth, wifi off or on. I want my simple drop down menu back.
    Everything is black and white and about as ascetically pleasing as a newspaper

The hardware is great, the screen makes the pre look like a joke, when the pre screen in landscape and just a tad wider then the EVO in portrait but that's really HTC's doing not Android. The OS is just garbage from the dark ages and it's sad this is becoming the predominate OS.
    We've just set ourselves 5 years backwards.

We might as well go back to Windows 98 even though better OS's exist, because that's pretty much the logic we are following by the market going to Android.

/end rant.

/end rant

I have a unified email inbox.

On my phone, you can set the interval time for the password.

Toggle widgets aren't that big of a deal IMO, but that's personal preference.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/30/2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Had to clarify something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wow too me Widgets are the bomb. I got widgets to show sports scores on my screen. My task for the day. How many emails I have.To do list , task widgets.Android isnt the same without widgets. it whats makes it great.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Wow too me Widgets are the bomb. I got widgets to show sports scores on my screen. My task for the day. How many emails I have.To do list , task widgets.Android isnt the same without widgets. it whats makes it great.
    Agreed.

And this is just my opinion, but widgets are one of the things that make Android superior to Webos.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast