Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Geeze. My buddy has an Evo. I've used it. I love the PDAnet feature, especially since he's getting almost 5Mb/s on the damn thing. I play with his phone every time I come down. I use only his phone, and I pocket my Pre when i'm there.

But I'm a gadget freak. I will always play with someone elses gadget if I don't own it. It's like pressing the red button when you're told not to press the red button. But, the second I leave his house, immediately I'm back on my Pre. It almost feels like going on vacation and liking what I spent time doing, but when I get home I sit back on my couch and turn on my favorite game and feel perfectly comfortable again.

WebOS is simply comfortable. It's simple, addictive, easy to use, and fun. Android, iOS, they're all great, but not FUN. Their phones can do a few more things, but that's all they're good for. I don't enjoy using their OS as much as WebOS and there is no ****** bias with that decision. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all WebOS fans.

Android feels more like a Civic that is tricked out with bodykits every 2 months and gets new engine tweaks every now and then.

WebOS is more like a Corvette. Add the overclock and it's like installing a supercharger!
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/11/2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Getting around the filters
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I actually didn't think he was being sarcastic. But what do I know since I'm sarcastic quite a bit. But I was curious too as I've had no issue setting up coworkers' exchange accounts on the Moment, Hero and Evo. One on Touchdown and the others on HTC's email. Maybe we don't take the same security measures as others, but it'd be interesting to know what pitfalls could arise if things change.
    My experience with Android is that it's not a viable enterprise option. For one, it doesn't work with my companies self signed certificate. In fact, i yet to hear from anybody that has gotten it to work with these (and using a workaround that defeats the whole certificate purpose does not count). We even had Microsoft attempt to help us, to no avail. Froyo is suppose to be a bit better. We shall see.

Touchdown is not a solution for us as we are not going to purchase thousands of licenses of a third party app just to use email.

android is also missing a solution for creating custom security polices and configurations (like the Enterprise Configuration Utility for the iPhone).

perhaps I'm wrong though. Maybe it just takes a little "tinkering" like Darren suggests. He is the expert.
    I actually didn't think he was being sarcastic. But what do I know since I'm sarcastic quite a bit. But I was curious too as I've had no issue setting up coworkers' exchange accounts on the Moment, Hero and Evo. One on Touchdown and the others on HTC's email. Maybe we don't take the same security measures as others, but it'd be interesting to know what pitfalls could arise if things change.
    I've done on a lot of reading on this and certs from CA (certificate authority) like Verisign or GoDaddy for example seem to have less problems when used with Android. Self signed certs on the other hand generally requires more tinkering as Android tend to reject them for whatever reason. Sometimes they need to converted to an Android-friendly version before they can work. I believe there's an app in the market to do that. However, there are ways to get around this and it's not the same for everyone which can be a bit of a pain but it is doable. Honestly as every case can be unique Google is your friend. You will find everything you need there. I've setup several active sync accounts using both the native client and Touchdown and Touchdown by far is more compatible and easier to work with at the moment. This will change as Android is updated in the coming months but TD is well worth the investment IMO.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Come on guys, let's keep the conversation focused on the phones, not on the people debating the phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    thought the last two posts were pretty spot on topic wise.... See? I can be helpful...Take the feuding parties, throw out a legit question and they ignore one another and answer the question at hand.

My Exchange knowledge is limited, and always working for small companies I've never had to deal with it or servers until now. So it's nice to increase the knowledge base whenever possible.

mobileman, wonder if the developers of touchdown would make a deal for a site license or something. It is frustrating when things are done half *ssed. It's my one beef with Android and email in general. Give me one frickin' program that does it all...gmail and exchange (with multiples accounts for either) as well as all other webmail. Email is my favorite thing on webOS.
    On the enterprise or business side of things, do business users want to create and edit Office docs on their phones? I know I do. But there's no tinkering that can be done there to get that going on webOS. I think I'd rather pay for touchdown and the $10 for DTG which is doing some pretty cool things in an upcoming release with syncing of files. Screw google and google docs.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    thought the last two posts were pretty spot on topic wise.... See? I can be helpful...Take the feuding parties, throw out a legit question and they ignore one another and answer the question at hand.

My Exchange knowledge is limited, and always working for small companies I've never had to deal with it or servers until now. So it's nice to increase the knowledge base whenever possible.

mobileman, wonder if the developers of touchdown would make a deal for a site license or something. It is frustrating when things are done half *ssed. It's my one beef with Android and email in general. Give me one frickin' program that does it all...gmail and exchange (with multiples accounts for either) as well as all other webmail. Email is my favorite thing on webOS.
    On the enterprise or business side of things, do business users want to create and edit Office docs on their phones? I know I do. But there's no tinkering that can be done there to get that going on webOS. I think I'd rather pay for touchdown and the $10 for DTG which is doing some pretty cool things in an upcoming release with syncing of files. Screw google and google docs.
    Touchdown is a fine app. However, most large organizations would probably never rely on a third party app for email. What happens if the makers of touchdown stop putting out updates? What happens if their company is sold off and they decide to focus development on a different product or platform? Too many risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Touchdown is a fine app. However, most large organizations would probably never rely on a third party app for email. What happens if the makers of touchdown stop putting out updates? What happens if their company is sold off and they decide to focus development on a different product or platform? Too many risks.
    Goodlink is a pretty widely used application/service (mostly by corporations) that is available for Android that, I believe, may get around some of your issues. I know it's somewhat expensive, and some, including me, don't particularly like it, but at least it's an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Goodlink is a pretty widely used application/service (mostly by corporations) that is available for Android that, I believe, may get around some of your issues. I know it's somewhat expensive, and some, including me, don't particularly like it, but at least it's an option.
    kind of defeats one of the major benefits of using an Exchange ActiveSync infrastructure if you then need to go out and license another email solution.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    No you don't. Have you tried iOS4?
    oh, did they move the 'back' buttons in ios4 to the bottom instead of the top?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Yeah, I first posted about this.. I'm sticking with the Pre.. If it breaks within the year, I'm getting another refurb.. I save 10 dollars per month, and it's smaller in my pocket. I don't need a WiFi hotspot, and I hate the damn on screen keyboard. It's a nice option, but it's so much easier to have a regular keypad.

I think there will be plenty people "regressing" back to the Pre. I hope HP/Palm comes out with another WebOS phone, which is small in size.. Crap, I even like my mirror on my Pre! I can signal for help, or check out my hair .
    Quote Originally Posted by AJV223 View Post
    I even like my mirror on my Pre! I can signal for help...
    Is that because you couldn't make a "call" for help due to a TMC? #justkidding
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I'm on stock pre and have no stability issue with the os. 1.4 was unstable but that was fixed with 1.4.1 and I've had no random reboots for months.
    And other devices are missing key features that are standard on webos.
    Seriously?
    And with a "stock" Pre at that???
    I can think of a couple dozen features that I am missing on the Pre/webOS... that are standard on Android.

A stock Pre is a sad puppy (imo).
    Hey question, how did u end chrono trigger on your evo? Cause I can't even pass that stage where I cross time, to that advance socialization. But long story short after defeating the huge security machine boss, u have to open the secret passage way by going to that room with the two white consoles, then hold n press L & R button n then press the A button. But the problem is that on the evo I'm only allow to hold two buttons on the touchsrceen. How did u do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ratisme36 View Post
    Hey question, how did u end chrono trigger on your evo? Cause I can't even pass that stage where I cross time, to that advance socialization. But long story short after defeating the huge security machine boss, u have to open the secret passage way by going to that room with the two white consoles, then hold n press L & R button n then press the A button. But the problem is that on the evo I'm only allow to hold two buttons on the touchsrceen. How did u do it?
    google it on you tube im sure its there somewhere.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I only read the thread starter, but I want to say that:
    I MISS WEB OS!!!! So badly! I'm even thinking in returning my Epic 4G very seriously! My sister has an EVO and I have tried as well, compared to the Epic and even compared it to my Mom's Pre.

With the Epic, I have a phone (hardware) that actually works. With Android, I have gone back 10 years. I feel i haven't evolved. It is so frustrating. I was even comparing it with a hard core Evo fan, that has his phone rooted, and it was easier for him to do stuff in his Evo than on my Epic. (because of Sense UI - an Add-On) Then he was " oh dude, with mines I just do this, and this, and tap here, and swipe here and Viola!" With the Epic it was like, impossible to find (and their Android phones, should work the same). And then in WebOS.. it was a blast! Tap, Tap, Done!

See, my point is, like with the iPhone or any other smartphone... when Palm came out with the Pre and multitasking, Apple announced iOS multitasking. The Pre came out with synergy and Apple added that too. They're building the latest technology right at the OS base. No add-on needed (in the case of Android.. so many add-ons and which one to get?).

Plain Android, a 2009 OS is waaaaaay far back than plain webOS. I wish I had Web OS not because its Palm, but because it used to make my life easier (when it worked) than Android does now... and those were my expectations with Android. I wanted it to make my life easier. The only easy thing I have now is that I can make phone calls... but that I can do with a Trackphone. Everything else is a pain. Android has so much following as being cool... well... maybe it's the apps, but Android itself it's the dumbest Smarphone OS there is.
    Could you give a bit more explanation. I've taken to helping fellow android users and I just want to get an understanding what you find difficult to do.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234