Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am also a previous Pre owner, and now a current Evo owner. WebOS is better than android but palm needs a better device with better speed opening programs. The delay for opening my favorite app, googlemaps, on a Pre was my reason for not wanting to give the pre a chance on day 1 and that is the reason I own a Evo now. I do miss the Pre but I will come back to WebOS when a better phone is released from palm/HP.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    google maps is slow because of google. Bing maps open alot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    It's not 1and1's fault a PIN crashed the whole phone.
    And if WebOS has a fix for something I don't like and Android OS doesn't then that's a weakness.
    Try the LockPicker app in the market to bypass the exchange policy locks. It even lets you keep the pattern lock if you set one up before adding your exchange account. To bypass all lock screens completely, try the Screen Mode Widget from the market.

You have to navigate between every inbox. This means hit menu, hit more, hit account lists, then pick and email account.
    Or you can simply tap the account drop down list and pick the desired account. Just 2 taps. But I'd really love a unified inbox as well.

I can't swipe to delete an e-mail. I have to press down until the menu comes up then select delete and confirm if not turned off...Way to long an annoying process to do for 50 emails when you are just used to swiping to delete.
    Or you can simply tap menu, tap delete then select all 50 emails and tap delete. Not as fancy as "swipe to delete" (which I love as long as it's just one or two emails), but swiping away 50 emails on the Pre is a very painful process as well.

So they made a whole seperate email app just for gmail because everyone not only wants seperate e-mail accounts but wants to switch between entire apps for different email accounts.
    Using the GMail app is optional. Add your gmail accounts to the Mail app. Tap the account drop down list, tap new account, enter gmail address and password, done. Not sure why you needed to setup gmail as an exchange account when it is supported as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Fix for missing webOS, use them in conjuction with Android. My Evo is my main all in one device while my Pre is a wifi PDA now, mostly used for journals and putting me to sleep with EasyDreams, such a nice app
    Thanks!

EasyDreams: Nature Sounds, Nap Timer, White Noise & More.
    EasyDreams - Nature Sounds, White Noise & Nap Timer
    Follow us on twitter @easydreamsapp
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    nice review...more reason to hang on to the Pre
    It is funny to see people who have a phone for a year they happen to be very comfortable with slam a phone they've had for a minimal amount of time especially when they don't understand how things work and probably haven't spent the time on a different forum doing all the same crap they do here when trying to figure things out. Simple things like multitasking that quite a few people here have pointed out how simple it is.

One area I'll give webOS the advantage is email. Vanilla android email is horrible. It's clunky and there is no imap folder support. Sense cleans it up a bit and adds folder support, but I do like a unified inbox from time to time. I liked swiping to delete, but if someone tells me they've never swiped away an email by accident I'd tell you you're flat out lying. Nice thing in Android for deleting email is you can do menu, delete and then go through checkbox style to mass delete emails. Much easier to do without worrying about making a mistake since it's a two step process. You can also ditch the confirm to delete option so deleting individual emails is a two button press process.

Notifications? I love scrolling notifications so I can actually see the entire message and not just a broken part of it. It doesn't interfere with the screen like webOS ones do since it shrinks the screen down. And I have a nice pulldown menu to see all of my different notifications. That is actually very clean and well done. Now if I could individually delete notifications so I could keep ones I need to entertain later and not forget, that would be pretty sweet.

For people that really care about their calendar and schedule, you really need to download and pay for PureCal. Hands down the best agenda widget on the market. It is so customizable. I keep the original evo background and do a black 70% transparent background for the widget with white text. It is crisp and clear. And with a 4 row long widget I have about two weeks at a glance on my home screen at all times with easy color coding of the various calendars. And...the kicker....I can scroll within it to get about another 3 weeks of appts without having to open any app whatsoever.

And if I need to have a month view, or if you want a cool more PalmOS like calendar, you have to download Jorte. Gecko turned me on to it, and the month view widget is sweet. It has built in tasks and also has a widget you can setup for tasks as well. Or you can use the Pure Cal one and set up a 2nd widget just for tasks.

It's just so convenient having certain info at your fingertips that I didn't have in webOS and most likely never will because the only way to access that info is if you homebrew the phone and even then it's only accessible due to a loophole.

And to be a broken record....

Android: Google Voice, Docs To Go, and stock visual voicemail for those not wanting to go the GV route or separate number in general.

webOS: none of those are even an option.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 17studios View Post
    Thanks!
    No no, thank you for the app! Great job on helping me sleep easy now ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG View Post
    plus the 10% fed gov employee discount
    So the federal government not only craps all over the constitution, they crap all over their employees too, I see. I work at Kaiser Permanente and get 23% at Sprint ...........................................................webOS > Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    So the federal government not only craps all over the constitution, they crap all over their employees too, I see. I work at Kaiser Permanente and get 23% at Sprint ...........................................................webOS > Android.
    The fed gov can't afford to be giving out cell discounts, the broke mofos
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Once you set up the F105 kernel running at 1005MHz, a Palm Pre Plus can compete fairly well with these newer phones.

Processor speed is now comparable on a Pre Plus to the EVO.

512MB of RAM(the Sprint version only has 256MB) can handle running apps without the stutter due to memory not being a problem. Compcache can be turned on for the F105 kernel if you find 512MB of RAM isn't enough to keep your phone stutter free.

With those things out of the way, the Pre Plus(Verizon version with WebOS 1.4) or the AT&T version have fixed just about all the Oreo and cracking problems from the original Palm Pre. As a result, the quality of the hardware is also good, though if you get a bad phone you may not agree. The batch of Palm Pre Plus phones that ship with the 1.4 kernels have better quality than the previous versions.

So really, except for screen size and wishing for more apps(Where are you WebOS 1.4.5?!? AT&T, get off your ***** and just sign off on it!), I feel that the Pre Plus is already there with the overclocking available.
    WIll people stop acting like clock speed is the only marks of a processor?

Its like the Intel/AMD arms race back in the day.

Speed is one component, but to think the OMAP processor in the Pre overclocked to 1ghz would perform the same with the Droid X OMAP processor is ignorance at its finest.
    You can overclock Pre phones all you like. WebOS is the bottleneck. It's why web pages reload so much, why 3D games are resource killers, why there are random lag points, etc. WebOS on an overclocked Pre is NOT equal to Android on a Snapdragon much less Android on a 1ghz OMAP (Droid X)/Hummingbird (Galaxy S).

You might as well claim a netbook with Windows 7 Starter on a 1.6 ghz Atom N270 is "faster" than an 1 ghz iPad.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Awesome thread and write-up, OP.

My Pre broke, and living in Australia it would be too difficult for me to get another one that was:

QWERTY
    Unlocked
    Set up for app catalog (the Spanish one I had was, just by chance, activated before sent to me and therefore had app catalog, tho I still couldn't get paid apps).

So instead I got a Nexus One. I had also been considering trying Android because the Pre's body annoyed me, and I wanted paid apps. I learned a few things:

- Paid apps are overrated
    - The Nexus One has beautiful build quality
    - I miss WebOS so much it hurts inside, (pats left side of chest, choking up) right here.

WebOS is THE perfect, most amazing, natural, awesome mobile OS in existence. Seriously, I can't believe Apple made an OS that requires so much stupidity. 'Intuitive'? You need two hands to use the thing.

One reason I chose the Nexus One is that the menu buttons are capacitive touch, and just below the screen - so it almost kinda feels like I'm using WebOS - swipe up, etc - except instead of swiping I'm pressing 'Home'.

It helps stave off the cravings.

But as great as Android is, and it really is great, it doesn't even begin to compare with WebOS. WebOS is:

- Natural. And I really mean it, everything just makes sense.
    - Beautiful.
    - Elegant.

Basically, if Palm (a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard pty ltd) brought out a new phone tomorrow, available properly in my country, I would buy it. Instantly. I'd sort out explaining it to my fiance, and selling the Nexus One, later.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    +1

I work as a tech at a local business and I had the pleasure of setting up a users Droid on our exchange server yesterday. Let me just say Pain in the ***.

First off, it wasn't all hunky dory with the pre. I needed certificates but other then that worked out fine. Andriod on the other hand, won't take a certificate without a private key embedded, ie; a p12 file. Not a pfx.. Not a cer.. I ended it getting it working But it wasn't a fun expierence..
    Carefull what you post around here about Certs on Android devices. Most likely you will be attacked. Mostly by people that don't even know what a cert is.

I agree with you, certs are very difficult to manage on android. In fact, the whole active sync experience on Android leaves a lot to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

- I can't believe Apple made an OS that requires so much stupidity. 'Intuitive'? You need two hands to use the thing.
    No you don't. Have you tried iOS4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post

First off, it wasn't all hunky dory with the pre. I needed certificates but other then that worked out fine. Andriod on the other hand, won't take a certificate without a private key embedded, ie; a p12 file. Not a pfx.. Not a cer.. I ended it getting it working But it wasn't a fun expierence.

I used the EVO myself for a good half and hour, and felt alot of what you had described as above. No easy of use, keyboard lacked, great screen, good feel/weight, fast, no way to see whats running easily.

So to the informative review. Hope to see you back in our camp.
    It depends on the type of certs, authority or server setup but yeah sometimes tinkering is needed to get Android to accept them. Google is working on this and it should be improved in upcoming releases. Touchdown, a paid app has no issues though so that's an option as well. Bottom line is, it does accept them and you got yours to work. That's more than can be said for some of the 'experts' around here.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It is funny to see people who have a phone for a year they happen to be very comfortable with slam a phone they've had for a minimal amount of time especially when they don't understand how things work and probably haven't spent the time on a different forum doing all the same crap they do here when trying to figure things out. Simple things like multitasking that quite a few people here have pointed out how simple it is.

One area I'll give webOS the advantage is email. Vanilla android email is horrible. It's clunky and there is no imap folder support. Sense cleans it up a bit and adds folder support, but I do like a unified inbox from time to time. I liked swiping to delete, but if someone tells me they've never swiped away an email by accident I'd tell you you're flat out lying. Nice thing in Android for deleting email is you can do menu, delete and then go through checkbox style to mass delete emails. Much easier to do without worrying about making a mistake since it's a two step process. You can also ditch the confirm to delete option so deleting individual emails is a two button press process.

Notifications? I love scrolling notifications so I can actually see the entire message and not just a broken part of it. It doesn't interfere with the screen like webOS ones do since it shrinks the screen down. And I have a nice pulldown menu to see all of my different notifications. That is actually very clean and well done. Now if I could individually delete notifications so I could keep ones I need to entertain later and not forget, that would be pretty sweet.

For people that really care about their calendar and schedule, you really need to download and pay for PureCal. Hands down the best agenda widget on the market. It is so customizable. I keep the original evo background and do a black 70% transparent background for the widget with white text. It is crisp and clear. And with a 4 row long widget I have about two weeks at a glance on my home screen at all times with easy color coding of the various calendars. And...the kicker....I can scroll within it to get about another 3 weeks of appts without having to open any app whatsoever.

And if I need to have a month view, or if you want a cool more PalmOS like calendar, you have to download Jorte. Gecko turned me on to it, and the month view widget is sweet. It has built in tasks and also has a widget you can setup for tasks as well. Or you can use the Pure Cal one and set up a 2nd widget just for tasks.

It's just so convenient having certain info at your fingertips that I didn't have in webOS and most likely never will because the only way to access that info is if you homebrew the phone and even then it's only accessible due to a loophole.

And to be a broken record....

Android: Google Voice, Docs To Go, and stock visual voicemail for those not wanting to go the GV route or separate number in general.

webOS: none of those are even an option.
    Thank you for that, you made some good points. I bought an Evo to get rid of my Pre. I miss some features of Web OS, but Android has so many more features than Web OS, the features I like from Web OS I hardly even miss anymore. If you use the Evo and try Androids voice recognition or google maps navigation then your Pre will start to look like it came out 5 years ago. Not to mention more apps, which is always nice. Honestly, Palm should give up on Web OS, make it a skin for Android. Look, Android is just moving faster, 2.2 just got released and will be on devices later this year, and 3.0 is already being worked of for a possible launch in December. Web OS hasn't even hit 1.4.5 yet. I really do hope HP can whip Palm into shape, but for the platform to be out for a year now without major improvements and inclusion of some "standard" dumb phone features is pretty lame.
    Last edited by madcow706; 07/11/2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    It depends on the type of certs, authority or server setup but yeah sometimes tinkering is needed to get Android to accept them.
    Please explain in more detail? You seem to speak from experience.
    That made me laugh. A majority of the bashers here haven't even held the phones they bash for more than five minutes, if that. Their "experience" based opinions are just laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    No you don't. Have you tried iOS4?
    What's even funnier is to even begin to try and make the Pre comparable people are homebrewing it with an overclocked custom kernel. A fraction of the masses go homewbrew, and a fraction of them will go the overclocked custom kernel route. So that makes the comparison to a stock Android phone meaningless. But if one is going to trick out the Pre for comparison sake, then to be fair you need to trick out the Android phone. Root it, custom kernel and other customizations. Then try puffing your chests out.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I actually didn't think he was being sarcastic. But what do I know since I'm sarcastic quite a bit. But I was curious too as I've had no issue setting up coworkers' exchange accounts on the Moment, Hero and Evo. One on Touchdown and the others on HTC's email. Maybe we don't take the same security measures as others, but it'd be interesting to know what pitfalls could arise if things change.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast