Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think I worded my other post wrong. I meant, he said he didn't like the toggle widgets. They aren't that big of a deal to me. Since I dont like constantly going under the menu, the toggle widgets save time.

I like the info widgets too, but they can fill the screen a bit too much. I had to delete some off and only keep the necessary ones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Motoblur may be different but the messaging shortcut shows the unified email inbox when you click on it.

I don't know what 1and1 is, I thought you were talking about the phone password.

I only have to go under "settings" to change everything, not 10 levels. But because I use wifi so much, I just put the toggle on the home screen. I'd do the same with bluetooth if I used it a lot.

P.S. Actually it is only under the messaging shortcut. I forgot only if you have no messages do you get the Unified Inbox under the Email widget. But I'm still using an old version of Android. Things may be different on newer versions.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/30/2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Had to edit after checking my phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ahh yes toggle widgets. and yes there is so many widgets that you can fill the screen. thats why I like Sense , there are 7 screens to fill. AND with Sense you can have scenes. you can have something like 8 home screens. One for work, one for Casual and they all can have different wallpapers and widgets etc. Scenes is also amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think I worded my other post wrong. I meant, he said he didn't like the toggle widgets. They aren't that big of a deal to me. Since I dont like constantly going under the menu, the toggle widgets save time.

I like the info widgets too, but they can fill the screen a bit too much. I had to delete some off and only keep the necessary ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    Got an EVO and a Pre here too.
    So far Android OS is Fing garbage from the dark ages.
    I don't want to go through 5 different email inboxes. I want unified e-mail messaging.
    I don't want to put in a PIN code every damn time the phone screen goes dark. What do you mean I can't patch this.
    I want card view when toggling around.
    I don't want a fricking widget just to turn gps, bluetooth, wifi off or on. I want my simple drop down menu back.
    Everything is black and white and about as ascetically pleasing as a newspaper

The hardware is great, the screen makes the pre look like a joke, when the pre screen in landscape and just a tad wider then the EVO in portrait but that's really HTC's doing not Android. The OS is just garbage from the dark ages and it's sad this is becoming the predominate OS.
    We've just set ourselves 5 years backwards.

We might as well go back to Windows 98 even though better OS's exist, because that's pretty much the logic we are following by the market going to Android.

/end rant.

/end rant
    Blaming Android for 1and1's issues? The other complaints sound like they come from an iPhone user / ranter.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndersChosen View Post
    I hate to say this, but right now WebOS is far far better and ahead of the curve than Android, especially the ancient G1/MyTouch devices.

IMO,

I just couldn't resist.
    LOL the G1 is as old as the Pre, just about. Too bad Palm never stepped up with an equivalent of the Droid, Incredible, Nexus One, Evo, Samsung Galaxy, etc etc etc...

And here's another thread with a bunch of former Pre owners who switched to the Evo and their comments on it: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...amn-phone.html
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Just toyed around with the Evo at the local Sprint store. Again, stick WebOS in that body and I might not ever need another phone again. If/when Palm/HP put out hardware that feels that sturdy, I'll be all over it. The OS would take some getting used to, and I would echo the comments of most that webOS seems very much superior, but frankly I think with some practice I could get used to it. My job prohibits me from bringing my phone into our buildings, so for me the most used features on my phone are browsing the internet, sending text messages every now and again, and using the phone. Lately google maps has gotten a bit of use. I think I can do all of that quite adequately on the Evo and wait another year or so to see what HP puts out. Elected to wait until I can get to a Best Buy to take advantage of their instant rebate (Sprint, your mail-in policy is asinine), but as soon as I can I'm switching. My Pre is all but useless right now.

All of the above said, nothing is perfect. While at the Sprint store, a young gal came in very upset that her second Evo had bricked as a result of some upgrade...not exactly what you want to hear as you're contemplating a purchase...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    You should try the app taskOS from the market

Problem is widgets take up space and I don't feel like wasting space for a 4g widget toggle a wifi widget toggle, a gps toggle, a bluetooth toggle.
    It's not the problem with the widgets it's lack of space for enough widgets because the basic stuff is 10 levels deep unless you make it a widget.

(and I'm one of those people that always toggles my GPS on and off on the pre to save battery so this is also why it's so noticeable to me on the evo)
    Then delete them if there taking up space and you dont want them there
    Last edited by njbianco; 07/02/2010 at 03:12 PM.
    It's not 1and1's fault a PIN crashed the whole phone.
    And if WebOS has a fix for something I don't like and Android OS doesn't then that's a weakness. And it works both ways.

But here's a more detailed synopsis of their crappy e-mail program. Why don't you tell me how this is not Androids fault.

Android calls their inbox for email unified. That's a joke. You have to navigate between every inbox. This means hit menu, hit more, hit account lists, then pick and email account. If you're like me and have a couple hotmail accounts, a gmail account, a yahoo account and an exchange account you're doing this 5 times just to check email, compared to webOS true single unified inbox. Heck I think even the iphone4 now does all in one inbox. There is no read all in your email so unless you open every single email, even spam your inbox will show 34 new emails or some huge number which makes knowing when you got an actual new email using the indication on the icon useless.

I can't swipe to delete an e-mail. I have to press down until the menu comes up then select delete and confirm if not turned off. (Pretty much every menu in Android is more clicks due to lack of gestures.)
    Way to long an annoying process to do for 50 emails when you are just used to swiping to delete. Also with WebOS you can delete all e-mails with one button. Can't in Android.

So they made a whole seperate email app just for gmail because everyone not only wants seperate e-mail accounts but wants to switch between entire apps for different email accounts.
    Luckily I know how to setup gmail as an exchange account to combine it with the other app right.
    So today i go to add my work exchange account. *** you can only have one exchange account! This was never a problem with WebOS.
    So now I have to delete the gmail account just so I can have my work e-mail. Of couse deleting the gmail account will remove all the contacts that were backed up to it so I will have to still use the second app just to get those to show up.
    I use Android and I do have issues, like I can't get my hotmail to work with my Android device. But I think the problem is more on Microsoft's side than Android's side.

You have a ton of emails. Why not consolidate them all?

Android allows you to have multiple emails, but if you're going to insist on having a ton of different emails and email providers I'm not sure any phone is going to be the right solution for you.

Maybe WebOS presented it in a way for you that you liked, but the typical user is not going to have the tons of emails like you do.

I have a Blackberry for enterprise email. It has unified email but I would never put my personal email on it. I have my iPhone, and my Android phones to manage the rest of my emails. Deleting emails has never been a problem here. It seems to be a bigger issue for you for what ever reason.
    Aaron, you should try K-9. I don't know if it supports exchange, but it does have integrated inboxes, if that's what floats your boat. That's another plus for Android, if you don't like some built-in feature, there's usually an app to replace what you don't like. For e-mail, there's k-9, touchdown, and a few others.
    I played around with the EVO at the sprint store, I think I'm hooked on webOS really. Even if they fix the notifications and the bulky, clunky icons and text (it's all black & white), it's really annoying to navigate thru. Also, I found myself swiping around to go back and forth, it's really annoying to hunt and peck for the back button. And multitasking is there, but four or five taps to get where you want.

That said, it was unbelievably fast, and the camera was amazing. How hard could it be to get webOS onto the evo?
    Quote Originally Posted by thelelander View Post
    I played around with the EVO at the sprint store, I think I'm hooked on webOS really. Even if they fix the notifications and the bulky, clunky icons and text (it's all black & white), it's really annoying to navigate thru. Also, I found myself swiping around to go back and forth, it's really annoying to hunt and peck for the back button. And multitasking is there, but four or five taps to get where you want.

That said, it was unbelievably fast, and the camera was amazing. How hard could it be to get webOS onto the evo?
    hunt and peck for the back button? its right there---press it...four or five taps for multitasking? people just have no clue, and are spewing out whatever they feel like. hold down the home button and it shows currently open and/or recently opened apps, click the app to open it. ZOMG so many menus..hahah what kind of PCs are you guys using? a v-tech?
    Last edited by kbritt31; 07/02/2010 at 08:57 PM.
    4 or 5 taps ??? Its one tap of a button and press the app you want to go to. that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by previous2pre View Post
    I'm a long long long time Palm user, from the first Palm to the Palm Centro.

I have played and flirted with the Pam Pre and Pixi many times in the Sprint store.

Having said that, I think you're really still getting used to Android. My Samsung Moment has been the best phone I've used, bar none, so far. And that's so much more crude than the Evo.

With Android, you do NOT need to exit / close out apps. With the way Linux manages memory / apps, there is no need to explicility close out the apps, the way the WebOS does.

I hate to say this, but right now Android is far far better and ahead of the curve than WebOS, especially the ancient Palm Pre / Pixi devices.

Give it some time, you'll truly come be realize the benefits of Android over the currently defunct WebOS and the older devices.

I am hoping beyond hope that HP will revive the Palm / WebOS platform and bring some modern devices to market that can really compete.

Right now the only games in town are iPhone / Android, sadly, especially in the US. I say this as the owner of Blackberry, iPhone, Android, and my old Palm Centro device.

Your review shows an attachment to WebOS, and a physical keyboard, which is understandable. When I upgrade from my Moment, it will be either the Evo or the Samsung Epic (Galaxy S Pro) with the huge keyboard. Android offers so many choices and phones that it's staggering. The Evo is but a drop in the pond in terms of what Android has to offer.

I sincerely hope that HP has the marketing power and clout to bring multiple form factors of WebOS to market.
    It is obvious you have never used WebOS. To claim that android better because it is linux based show a complete lack of knowledge. WebOS is also linux based and a far better implementation of linux. I have used all four - Blackberry, iPhone, Android and WebOS. There really is no comparison. WebOS wins hands down. The only real multi-tasking happens in WebOS. Apple and Adroid claim multi-tasking but implement it at about the level of Windows 3.11. WebOS is the most tightly integrated UI of anything. The iPhone is close in the UI department, but lacks the refinement and finesse of WebOS.

WebOS has only one problem and it actually has nothing to do with the OS. WebOS needs some killer hardware. An Evo like device with WebOS would be far and away the best smartphone on the market.
    I've had a Pre since it first came out. And I've had my EVO for a month now. I love them both! They both have positives and negatives as far as the hardware and the apps are concerned. I think it's all a matter of preference as far as what you need to do with your phone. I do wish that my Pre had a slot for a micro sd card so that I could load my entire music collection and pic collection on my phone like I have with the EVO. But that really is my only complaint.

signed,

Loving my Pre and my EVO
    Fix for missing webOS, use them in conjuction with Android. My Evo is my main all in one device while my Pre is a wifi PDA now, mostly used for journals and putting me to sleep with EasyDreams, such a nice app
    Quote Originally Posted by dougandmegan View Post
    WebOS has only one problem and it actually has nothing to do with the OS. WebOS needs some killer hardware. An Evo like device with WebOS would be far and away the best smartphone on the market.
    Webos has major stability issues, and it is missing some key features that many would find standard on other devices.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Well hey, just know we both use the same kernel made by Linus Torvalds, other than that we have no other similarities. Seeing as you're trying to get used to android and not using your pre it may take you quite a while.And yea, im not ready to switch to another high end phone either just cuz it has a 1.3 GHz processor, but untill then, ill wait for hp and palm to make a new baby
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Webos has major stability issues, and it is missing some key features that many would find standard on other devices.
    I'm on stock pre and have no stability issue with the os. 1.4 was unstable but that was fixed with 1.4.1 and I've had no random reboots for months.
    And other devices are missing key features that are standard on webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I'm on stock pre and have no stability issue with the os. 1.4 was unstable but that was fixed with 1.4.1 and I've had no random reboots for months.
    And other devices are missing key features that are standard on webos.
    I have seen plenty of Pres that stutter when trying to listen to music and browse the internet at the same time. And don't get me started on the Pixi. Webos is not optimized properly.

And what does Webos have that the competition doesn't have? Don't say multitasking, because others have it, they just do it in different ways.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I can stream pandora and surf mobile sites fine. I don't think stutter is a stability issue but a ram issue. Android or ios under heavy load and low ram would stutter too but I wouldn't call the os unstable for it.

the differences sets the phones apart. Why neglect the difference?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast