Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that Verizon has announced that it will Sell iPhones starting in January, what do you think... will this erode Palm's market share of Pres? Many in my community have resisted iPhones because of no 3G, let alone 4G coverage by ATT. Verizon, on the other hand has excellent 3G coverage here and in lots of other areas of the country where ATT fails. Personally, I was thinking about an HTC EVO, but now I may wait for the iPhone and switch to Verizon.
    <<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Well, it's now up to Palm to make a better phone than the iPhone. Not just make a better phone, but also create a better support system for it apps wise because all we really care about is apps these days. Sad.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    What market share?
    Treo 600 650 700p 800w Pre
    What announcement?

That was merely a Bloomberg speculation article, as with the 1,535,345,745 Verizon iPhone "news" told by "people knowledgeable of the plans" that we've heard already.

Nothing's going to happen until Verizon or Apple officially announce it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Well, it's now up to Palm to make a better phone than the iPhone. Not just make a better phone, but also create a better support system for it apps wise because all we really care about is apps these days. Sad.
    The odds of that happening are very small. However, its Android that will be most affected.
    There was no "announcement" by Verizon. Get your facts straight. People have been saying for forever that iPhone is coming to Verizon, but it's never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Yes, if VZ had iPhone I would consider it depending on where Palm is when my contract is up next year. But Palm will have first right of refusal.

I always tell people to pick their carrier first, and VZ is my carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r View Post
    What market share?
    Glibness aside, this is essentially where it's at. Palm's WebOS thus far is a blip on the competitors' radar. A fading one at that.

So when HPalm jumps back into the fray, they're essentially starting from scratch.
    Was it necessary to be so dismissive to the OP? Although Verizon didn't announce it, it's Bloomberg and the WSJ(earlier rumor). So there could indeed be some truth to these rumors.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Was it necessary to be so dismissive to the OP? Although Verizon didn't announce it, it's Bloomberg and the WSJ(earlier rumor). So there could indeed be some truth to these rumors.
    Verizon iPhone Release date and new iPhone 4G update 4.0
    Verizon iPhone chatter is getting harder (than usual) to ignore -- Engadget
    Why Verizon is not getting the iPhone - May. 28, 2010
    Verizon iPhone: What We Know So Far
    Verizon CEO Says a Verizon iPhone Is Apple's Call - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Pure speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    WSJ and Bloomberg aren't QuickPWN and Engadget. Although Engadget gets some good leads from insiders.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    yeah i think at some point palm needs to, not that they haven't, take a real critical look at the reasons iphone users like iphone and the reason black berry users like blackberry, same with android. All while ignoring the anti apple reactionary phanbois. And then do many of those things. And not only that do it better so if all the phones have 720p recording, they should record at 1080p. if they give 32GBs give 32 and sd card. if it's mp3 and acc for all the others have those and ogg, and whatever else codecs people want. Recognize that people do like the convenience of a music manager like itunes and rather then say we don't need it make a similar product that does what itunes does but slicker, prettier, and better, and lighter on resources preferably. If blackberry users love their email make sure you can do what they do at least as good or good enough. If you need apps get the bigger ones. they paid for launch apps i assume. They should have paid for facebook and probably docstogo since people ***** about that stuff. And all the other big ones to drum up some business. And though many "geeks" may not like the focus apple puts on beauty and aesthetics i think most consumers like that over something more utilitarian so i think the devices need to be slick. And it's not like that's not already in their head, webos has lots of polish to the look. So continue that. And the marketing has to be cooler.
    You know who the real loser would be...AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    You know who the real loser would be...AT&T
    yep. you really want to fret for Palm, better worry about a Sprint Iphone. Because right now it's a not a contest in the eyes of most consumers. And Palm already has less marketshare on sprint then Android phones do in total. i think. not positive but i think.

does anyone know what percentage of sprint users have pre?
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 06/30/2010 at 05:31 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    There was no "announcement" by Verizon. Get your facts straight. People have been saying for forever that iPhone is coming to Verizon, but it's never happened.
    Get my facts straight? Well it is true that I was just repeating what I heard on the morning news, however they made it sound like a done deal. What was I supposed to think?
    Answer: No.

If you consider that there are over 300 million people in the US, and while not all of them are cell phone candidates/customers, many are, and some have more than 1 phone.

Then add into that the fact that there are only 200 - 300 milllion smartphones sold in the Entire World.

The potential for all smartphone manufacturers is huge and will be, for years to come, as long as they produce good products that can take advantage of current and leading edge technologies.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Answer: No.

If you consider that there are over 300 million people in the US, and while not all of them are cell phone candidates/customers, many are, and some have more than 1 phone.

Then add into that the fact that there are only 200 - 300 milllion smartphones sold in the Entire World.

The potential for all smartphone manufacturers is huge and will be, for years to come, as long as they produce good products that can take advantage of current and leading edge technologies.

IMO, of course.
    Then I guess in order for Palm to take advantage of current and leading edge technologies, HP better get busy on building that super phone because the Palm Pre is not it.
    SoFly;

No, the Pre isn't the superphone it needs to be now, due to hardware "build" limitations, sadly.

But, you know, its funny, my Palm Pre+ gets alot of attention wherever I go these days. I have to thank the iPhone for that.

You see, most people arent tech savy.. they just want the latest and best thing, and yhen get on with their business, so when they see me playing with my Pre+, swiping and gesturing and playing games or music while I sit and wait/during flights, they always say:

"Wow, that doesnt look like an iPhone, that's so cool, and it has a touch screen and keyboard, too?"

And remember, Im running the Pre+ with Govna and Uberkernal at screenstate, so, its at 800mhz - VERY fast - instantaneous, in fact, so its serious performance practically sells itself - Ive had to tell at least 5 people in the last 2 weeks where they can get one!

I can only imagine how cool the next WebOS device will be... ut, even now, my modded Pre+ stands toe to toe with most anything out there speed wise (my daughter has an HTC HD2), and, to date, 3,169 Preware apps are available for download - not bad for 1 year out of the gate.. it took Apple a year to get thier first app out.. seems that Palm is a bit ahead of that pace, doesnt it?

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/30/2010 at 08:02 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast