Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon Wireless to Offer Apple iPhone in January - DailyFinance

I could care less... but it is news . This is big news for Ifans.

Verizon Wireless customers: The wait for an iPhone may soon be over.

Verizon Wireless will begin selling Apple's (AAPL) iPhone early next year, opening up the wildly popular device to millions of new customers, Bloomberg reported Tuesday, citing two people familiar with the matter.

Such a move would end Apple's exclusive arrangement with AT&T (T), which for three years has been the sole iPhone service provider.

The development would be a clear victory for Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless carrier.

Verizon has clearly been coveting the iPhone, the hottest mobile device on the planet. Two months ago, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said the iPhone will come to Verizon "eventually" -- the most direct comment from the company to date.

In late March, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is working on two new iPhone models for release this summer, including one that could be compatible with Verizon Wireless's CDMA network.

Without the iPhone, Verizon has made a big push to support Google (GOOG) Android mobile operating system, which is featured on several of the company's devices.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/abLeVp
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/30/2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Very interesting indeed.

I'll need to run some numbers once verizon releases the data plans for the iphone. If they are within $5 of sprints 4g plans I'm pretty sure I'll be out of here.

Will also be interesting how HP/Palm will be fitting into the mix. Hopefully a small piece of the puzzle will be revealed in July.
  3.    #3  
    or maybe not..........what is it with this rumor?
    possible stock manipulation
    Apple's iPhone on Verizon: 4 Reasons to Think Twice - PCWorld
    the way things are looking, not sure how much vzw is going to invest in palm in the near future. When they start carrying the iphone, that will pretty much knock off any chances that a blackberry or palm or wm7 phone will have on their network, atleast in the consumer space. Wm7 and blackberry may survive in enterprise. I think vzw will take a wait and see approach with hpalm. If they bring a great unique product out (which I think they are TOTALLY capable of doing, esp will hp support), vzw will probably wait around and see how the device (s) fairs with other carriers before carrying it.

unfortunately for us palm fans on vzw, that may mean we will get the next hpalm phone 6 months after everyone else...
    Saw in the St Petersburg Times Business section today, that Verizon is expected to start selling the Iphone in January 2011.
    "two people familiar with the plans,"
    ... Post it in the right forums... And who cares ..
    This is rumor #126 on when Verizon is getting the iPhone. I believe this one just as much as the other 125.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I read it in Bloomberg as well. This is actually somewhat old news... The news is around... ATT got a six month extension in exchange for them offering a discounted data package for the Ipad. January however, is the earliest possible contractually. Apple still needs to have enough of the parts to manufacture enough phones for release. This is what I've read online..... So take it all with a grain of salt.
    The iPhone 4 Plus?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    A three-month-old article? The Verizon-iPhone rumor has gone through at least 6 cycles since that article was posted.
    Verizon iPhone in January, claims Bloomberg -- Engadget

Cellphones, Mobile Handsets
    Verizon iPhone in January, claims Bloomberg
    By Nilay Patel posted Jun 29th 2010 3:30PM
    Stop us if you've heard this one before: Bloomberg says Verizon will get the iPhone... sometime in January. Yep, it's another fuzzy rumor sourced from "two people familiar with the plans," and while we really do believe Big Red will eventually get the iPhone in our lifetimes, at this point we're beyond cynical about pieces like this -- chatter about a Verizon iPhone now regularly reaches deafening levels before crashing down in yet another cloud of AT&T-exclusive dust. However, if you must insist on living this impossible dream, Bloomy's latest rumor does at least line up with the piece from the Wall Street Journal in March claiming that CDMA iPhone would begin production in September, giving Apple plenty of time to ramp up for a January launch.

Of course, we have to wonder if it's the smartest move to announce the hotly-anticipated Verizon iPhone right after the holiday buying season, and we can't imagine all those iPhone 4 buyers who were just enticed into signing new two-year AT&T contracts are going to be happy to discover they could have waited and escaped the Blue, but we'll have to wait and see -- Apple just told us that they "don't comment on rumors and speculation" when we pinged them and asked for comment. Fingers crossed, we suppose.

<<Threads Merged>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/30/2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I would trust the WSJ far more than I would trust PCW speculation. I think the rumor is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the way things are looking, not sure how much vzw is going to invest in palm in the near future. When they start carrying the iphone, that will pretty much knock off any chances that a blackberry or palm or wm7 phone will have on their network, atleast in the consumer space. Wm7 and blackberry may survive in enterprise. I think vzw will take a wait and see approach with hpalm. If they bring a great unique product out (which I think they are TOTALLY capable of doing, esp will hp support), vzw will probably wait around and see how the device (s) fairs with other carriers before carrying it.

unfortunately for us palm fans on vzw, that may mean we will get the next hpalm phone 6 months after everyone else...
    RIM still sells Blackberries on the AT&T network. People that like them aren't going to stop liking them (the storm may be toast though). The biggest loser will be Android. Its the favorite iPhone alternative for those who hate AT&T.

Wm7 and WebOS are basically niche platforms, I doubt they will be affected by this announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    RIM still sells Blackberries on the AT&T network. People that like them aren't going to stop liking them (the storm may be toast though). The biggest loser will be Android. Its the favorite iPhone alternative for those who hate AT&T.

Wm7 and WebOS are basically niche platforms, I doubt they will be affected by this announcement.
    Android on Verizon will be hurt somewhat, but I don't think Verizon sunk over a hundred million into the Droid brand and name licensing just to drop it like a hot rock when iPhone arrives. iPhone launches just once a year. New "super" Android phones seem to hit the big V every two months or so.

Additionally, T-Mobile and Sprint will continue to push Android devices like it's nobody's business. I think they'll be ok.
    "IPhone will never come to Verizon" seems like a better bet than to keep saying that they will carry it.

The way they make these predictions is to find the next big mobile expo/electronics show and say that will be for sure when it happens.

Apple, by the way, does not use their January gig for Iphone hardware. January is reserved for computer refreshes for iMac etc. Don't expect them to change their release pattern for phones.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The iPhone 4 Plus?

A three-month-old article? The Verizon-iPhone rumor has gone through at least 6 cycles since that article was posted.
    I saw that article was 3 months old.. after. i decided to leave that post because I thought the article provides some interesting information.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Android on Verizon will be hurt somewhat, but I don't think Verizon sunk over a hundred million into the Droid brand and name licensing just to drop it like a hot rock when iPhone arrives. iPhone launches just once a year. New "super" Android phones seem to hit the big V every two months or so.

Additionally, T-Mobile and Sprint will continue to push Android devices like it's nobody's business. I think they'll be ok.
    I wonder if Verizon pushed the Droid brand as a way to strengthen its bargaining position with Apple.

Android was on T-Mobile exclusively for a year before it hit other carriers. It went nowhere.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If you think about it, the carrier that would have the most to benefit from adding the iPhone is Sprint. They are like what AT&T was before the iPhone. They could benefit from a super-hero phone. The EVO is nice but it will be yesterdays news in about 2-3 months. You have to sell your soul to Apple to get the iPhone but it brings loads of customers from other carriers.
    An iPhone on Sprint would be huge for them. As great as the EVO is, the Android market moves so fast that even the best android phones get lost in the shuffle so quickly that it's hard to maintain it in the news. But, despite people's hatred of the it, the iPhone is a device that maintains a steady stream of sales all year round so purely from a business perspective then it would make sense for Sprint to "sell their soul" and secure a Sprint version.

The problem would be for Sprint users who don't use an iPhone. With the iPhone only on one carrier in the US then it's still undetermined if the bad ATT signal/speeds is due to a bad network or simply too many iPhones. Right now Sprint is amazing in my travel areas (Chicago, Vegas, SoCal) so i'd hate to see the network degrade by getting "too many" customers. (But then again, I love sprint so if it brings success then I'm all for it)
    if/when vzw gets the iphone, vzw consumers will have a choice btwn android phones and the iphone.

like I said, consumers and new smartphone buyers on vzw will flock to those devices.

so how will hpalm compete on vzw in the consumer space? Rim will be fine with businesses, as will winmo7. They will get only a small segment of the consumer space.

yes hpalm will have a niche market, which I am fine with. I love my pre plus and have been a long term palm user. I am just concerned that vzw is using the current palm devices to hold on to us old treo/centro users and that's it. I highly doubt they will maintain hpalm devices for the niche market. Whereas att and tmobile have niche devices like nokia. I don't see vzw doing that.

in the end I think it may be a long time before new palm devices come to vzw, and only after they come out with devices that sell well on other carriers. I have full faith in palm, but not vzw.

I get the feeling more and more that I will have to leave vzw, and somehow convince family to leave too. I'm tired of vzw treating palm customers as second class citizens...
    I'm not excited; if it happens it means a couple of things:

1) The average IQ of a Verizon customer is going to drop (the i in iPhone stands for *****--seriously. Apple dumbed the interface down so much that "anyone" can use it).
    2) Network will slooooow down
    3) Customer Service bombarded by a bunch of iPhone crap.

Naw, leave those idiotPhone people over on AT&T.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast