Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Looks like the deal changer is here:

Introducing Hulu Plus: More wherever. More whenever. Than ever. Hulu Blog

iPad support Wifi & 3G = Check
    iPhone support WiFi & 3G = Check

Sweet...
    I never understood the Hulu love affair (mainly because I hate television). But $9.99 a month and the software still has ads, doesn't sound that great to me.
    If the fees for Hulu+ help entice more network support so I'm all for it. The quality on the iPhone and iPad looks good, but it definitely makes it clearer why ATT is putting caps on 3G.
    It's less appealing to charge people and still show ads. Hulu is shooting itself in the foot. People already saying "Netflix rules" since there's no ads for their streaming. Worse yet for the industry trying to stop piracy, some others are saying "back to torrents".

I say, more used DVDs to rip, LOL! I don't mind physical media because digital always has some crap attached to it, unless torrented, of course.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There's a lot more than Hulu that makes the iPhad a no-go for me.
    Now there are some who say they will cancel their cable and satellite, so the $10 a month even with ads is worth it for them. If that's true, then that may be a good thing. Maybe the cable providers will finally lower their prices instead of raising them every year for no good reason. I cancelled my cable years ago for that reason. TV used to be free, due to ad revenue collected I guess. Now it's all pay, pay, pay on the customer's end.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Looks like the deal changer is here:

Introducing Hulu Plus: More wherever. More whenever. Than ever. Hulu Blog

iPad support Wifi & 3G = Check
    iPhone support WiFi & 3G = Check

Sweet...
    More expensive then Netflix = check
    Still includes ads even tho it costs more than Netflix = check
    Less content than Netflix = check
    No option for physical DVD or Blueray disc = check
    Will cause me to watch less hulu and more Netflix = check
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    More expensive then Netflix = check
    Still includes ads even tho it costs more than Netflix = check
    Less content than Netflix = check
    No option for physical DVD or Blueray disc = check
    Will cause me to watch less hulu and more Netflix = check

Netflix available on the iPad = Check

Oh... snap
    ipad is a no go cause i have no need or desire for it. of the ridiculously long list of things i have to buy it's not even on.

Hulu is of no interest to me. I got a 1080p lcd that's very large. If it doesn't come in hd on that i tend not to want to watch it unless it's a major exception. And even then what i want like live sports ain't normally on hulu. Don't think it's got live world cup games or the nba finals. Then again both are in HD on my tv so again same issue.

nothing wrong with an ipad. It's just not something i'm buying. Besides i think hulu is big in the geek set not with others. So i don't think its a game changer for most people.
    Lots of people use Hulu. I don't think this'll make them get the iPad though.

But concerning Hulu itself, this whole paid concept but still pushing ads may fail unless they really do something enticing. Even if people cancel their cable for this, they still have to hook the PC up to the TV from what I've read, or also pay Xbox(Gold) or Sony(PS Plus) to stream on the console. It may be worth it for some though. I think some Samsung equipment will now come with this from what I've read, but like you said, the resolution may not be that great for TV streaming. I need to see what the early adopters say before plunging.

Netflix does sound easier to deal with. No ads and cheaper.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/30/2010 at 02:58 AM.

Netflix is great for watching older stuff, but not having new releases is a killer, as well as their limited streaming selection. I use hulu more for new shows that I don't have time to watch while they're normally on air.

It would be nice to see this catch on, as I am a big fan of instant streaming services and this could help entice the studios if it gets popular enough. I see the industry slooooowly moving towards that.
    Trying to replace cable or satellite with hulu is like trying to replace a laptop with an ipad.
    I just loaded it on my iPhone 4 to give it a look. Not much free content. I did sample a show called Parenthood. The video quality was excellent. The ad that ran first was 6 seconds long. It seems pretty good, but there is nothing I really want to watch.
    Once we're talking a device that has a 10-inch screen or bigger, I'd rather not have to do "an app for this" and "an app for that" for every single internet function. Reminds me too much of AOL and their walled-off internet.

Rather just have a great browser with no restrictions and several tabs open.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Once we're talking a device that has a 10-inch screen or bigger, I'd rather not have to do "an app for this" and "an app for that" for every single internet function. Reminds me too much of AOL and their walled-off internet.

Rather just have a great browser with no restrictions and several tabs open.
    Then turn on your computer and sign in to your Hulu+ account. This isn't an Apple service, it's a Hulu service. So even if you don't have interest in using it, it's okay to think it's cool or criticize it based on it's merits as a cross platform service.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/30/2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Netflix is great for watching older stuff, but not having new releases is a killer, as well as their limited streaming selection. I use hulu more for new shows that I don't have time to watch while they're normally on air.

It would be nice to see this catch on, as I am a big fan of instant streaming services and this could help entice the studios if it gets popular enough. I see the industry slooooowly moving towards that.
    Hulu resolution is still standard? Another gripe I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Trying to replace cable or satellite with hulu is like trying to replace a laptop with an ipad.
    For those who only watch certain channels but have to pay a ton for all the others, they say this is a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Then turn on your computer and sign in to your Hulu+ account. This isn't an Apple service, it's a Hulu service. So even if you don't have interest in using it, it's okay to think it's cool or criticize it based on it's merits as a cross platform service.
    Given the title, I thought we were discussing the service in the context of the iPad app.

No?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I own an Ipad and thought this sounded great at first. But now that Ive thought about it its almost useless to me. Since I cannot have broadband access without cable I cant ditch my cable provider for hulu even if I wanted to. Not to mention is still a fairly narrow selection of channels as compared to what you can get on cable. Ads suck too. I suppose if I didn't spend enough time at home to watch the shows I like to watch something like this would appeal to me. But as it is, I enjoy my HD content at home on my 58inch Plasma just fine. Maybe next time Hulu.

For now my 10 bucks is going to Netflix. And frankly between Netflix, the internet, my PS3 and cable TV...Im already have more content than I can consume.
    I thought you could get internet only plans from cable companies too.

I have a question. Is the $10 for all your devices? Or per device? I'd certainly hope it's for all your devices. Just making sure.

P.S. Looking around, it does seem all inclusive, as it should be.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/30/2010 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast