Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought you could get internet only plans from cable companies too.


    I have a question. Is the $10 for all your devices? Or per device? I'd certainly hope it's for all your devices. just making sure.
    You can, but it's one of those $59.99 for cable, $69.99 for internet, $89.99 for cable + internet deals, so people just take the cable, too, lolz.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Netflix available on the iPad = Check

    Oh... snap
    Netflix available on my 3 pound netbook with a 9 hour battery and 720p = check
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Trying to replace cable or satellite with hulu is like trying to replace a laptop with an ipad.
    True. That's why I don't have cable. It's OTA broadcast and Netflix. Total TV cost per month: $9

    Not ever sending a dime to the cable company: priceless

    Hulu trying to charge subscription on top of advertising. Epic Fail.
  4. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Given the title, I thought we were discussing the service in the context of the iPad app.

    No?
    Sure. But when your statement dismisses the usefulness of a product you dont own and followed by the standard "That would be great if I could do it on the device I prefer" then it seems apt to point out that "Yes, it DOES work on your preferred system. It says so right in the article".
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sure. But when your statement dismisses the usefulness of a product you dont own and followed by the standard "That would be great if I could do it on the device I prefer" then it seems apt to point out that "Yes, it DOES work on your preferred system. It says so right in the article".
    But that's not what I said. I know I can access Hulu on my laptop. Simply saying that the standard iPad MO is to make an app for whatever the browser is barred from accessing (e.g. Flash). Thus, Farmville app, Hulu app, and so on and so forth.

    Not a fan of that approach. Doesn't mean it's not useful.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But that's not what I said. I know I can access Hulu on my laptop. Simply saying that the standard iPad MO is to make an app for whatever the browser is barred from accessing (e.g. Flash). Thus, Farmville app, Hulu app, and so on and so forth.

    Not a fan of that approach. Doesn't mean it's not useful.
    usually the app has more features than the browser, and is better formatted for touch input and smaller screen real estate.

    for example, I would rather use the Facebook and MLB app, then go to the website. Its a far better experience.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    True. That's why I don't have cable. It's OTA broadcast and Netflix. Total TV cost per month: $9

    Not ever sending a dime to the cable company: priceless

    Hulu trying to charge subscription on top of advertising. Epic Fail.
    How do you watch sporting events not on free tv?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Netflix available on my 3 pound netbook with a 9 hour battery and 720p = check
    awesome, another NetBook vs iPad discussion. We haven't had any of those yet.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    usually the app has more features than the browser, and is better formatted for touch input and smaller screen real estate.

    for example, I would rather use the Facebook and MLB app, then go to the website. Its a far better experience.
    I absolutely agree for smartphones. But I think 10-inches of display and up...you should be able to look at a browser and get along just as well.

    But there is the whole "touch-optimized" thing to contend with too....
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I absolutely agree for smartphones. But I think 10-inches of display and up...you should be able to look at a browser and get along just as well.
    But there is the whole "touch-optimized" thing to contend with too....
    Who established this rule/guideline....you????
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I absolutely agree for smartphones. But I think 10-inches of display and up...you should be able to look at a browser and get along just as well.

    But there is the whole "touch-optimized" thing to contend with too....
    again though, these companies would need to upgrade their websites to match the features of the app then, not the other way around. I would be fine either way.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Who established this rule/guideline....you????
    Let me check.

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Yes, I established this rule by forming an opinion.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    How do you watch sporting events not on free tv?
    As the song writer once said "that's what friends are for"...

    And the important ones are on broadcast TV...
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let me check.

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Yes, I established this rule by forming an opinion.
    ok...that explains why it made no sense to me. But hey, you can have whatever opinions you want. It's a free world.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    awesome, another NetBook vs iPad discussion. We haven't had any of those yet.
    Clearly you didn't read the entire thread where I am clearly articulating how I won't pay for Hulu because I find Netflix to be a better value... iPad was the other guy's last ditch effort after I listed my reasons for only watching hulu if it is for free. He thought that the fact that it runs on the iPad would somehow make me pay for it instead of (or in addition to) netflix. And I was saying that the fact that it runs on an iPad doesn't factor in to the equation.

    I hope that clears things up for you.

    ...and that you will learn to read the entire thread before grabbing a single post to jump on...
  16. #36  
    You can't compare Hulu+ to Netflix as Netflix doesn't have current tv shows available for rent or instant stream which is where Hulu truly shines.

    Try watching the entire season 7 of Lost on Netflix right now .. won't happen for another 6 months to a year.

    Netflix is great a Blockbuster replacement and overall movie buffs. Hulu+ is great if you're looking to potentially replace your cable/satellite plan or looking for a solution to watch current tv shows while on the go.
  17. #37  
    To even take that further, Hulu+ is a great replacement for DVRing your favorite cable shows, so you can see them when you want -- but regular Hulu (not +, which from what i understand is still going to be free) is a great place to see this week's shows - until they get pulled. Much like regular Hulu works now.
  18. #38  
    @berja,

    the post quoted below expresses what I was trying to say. I only visit Hulu to watch the last episode since I generally miss the OTA broadcast. The Hulu+ service is essentially a competitor to the "Season on DVD" bundles offered by Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. Those bundles and the other stuff that Netflix offers is a better product, IMHO, and is less expensive.

    I can also play Netflix on my Blue Ray player and my Wii.

    For all those reasons, I am not interested in Hulu+. I will continue to use the free service if/when they offer something of interest (like the most recent episode). If they put too much behind the plus service, I will look to individual networks to view shows, or just go work in the garden.

    So, for Hulu to make money on me (and I assume I am not their target audience) they should run more commercials and remain a free service, because they won't be able to advertise to me in a paid service. So, their impression count on the free service goes down and it doesn't go up in the paid service. I would watch more commercials, but I won't be buying the + service.

    We will see if I am in the majority or the minority on that, or if they will slow the growth of new subscribers to Netflix (for those living in a cave that haven't already subscribed).

    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    To even take that further, Hulu+ is a great replacement for DVRing your favorite cable shows, so you can see them when you want -- but regular Hulu (not +, which from what i understand is still going to be free) is a great place to see this week's shows - until they get pulled. Much like regular Hulu works now.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Try watching the entire season 7 of Lost on Netflix right now .. won't happen for another 6 months to a year.
    .
    the entire 6 seasons of lost can be watched for free using the really good ABC app. Why would I pay to do this on Hulu?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    ok...that explains why it made no sense to me. But hey, you can have whatever opinions you want. It's a free world.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions