Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Whether its an iPhone, android device, or whatever, the ability to through together some quick edits and email out a movie on the fly in simply incredible. I look forward to doing a lot of little movies on my phone.
    I completely agree. I dont want to get in the back and forth with people's attempts to disprove that particular video, but the ability to create and edit a video all on your phone is amazing.

This is an iMovie video I made in March when we finally got video on our Pre:

It's not meant to impress. I just wanted to give video a try so I took a bunch of random video clips, pumped it into iMovie on the Mac. The end result is okay and I had fun with it, but I haven't made another edited cellphone video because this little project took about 3hrs. Importing, clipping, soundtrack etc was just so ridiculously time consuming.

But now, I can see how having an iPhone 4 + iMovie could really make creating edited clips fun and easy. The idea that a 3.5" screen or a mobile phone would "get in the way" of video editing is crazy because the simplicity of creating and editing all on one device is exactly what makes this aspect of the iPhone so amazing.
    Last edited by MonkeyButler; 06/29/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyButler View Post
    I completely agree. I dont want to get in the back and forth with people's attempts to disprove that particular video, but the ability to create and edit a video all on your phone is amazing.

This is an iMovie video I made in March when we finally got video on our Pre:

It's not meant to impress. I just wanted to give video a try so I took a bunch of random video clips, pumped it into iMovie on the Mac. The end result is okay and I had fun with it, but I haven't made another edited cellphone video because this little project took about 3hrs. Importing, clipping, soundtrack etc was just so ridiculously time consuming.

But now, I can see how having an iPhone 4 + iMovie could really make creating edited clips fun and easy. The idea that a 3.5" screen or a mobile phone would "get in the way" of video editing is crazy because the simplicity of creating and editing all on one device is exactly what makes this aspect of the iPhone so amazing.
    Nice video. Looking forward to taking my kids later this year to Disney for the first time.
  3.    #23  
    Whether it's useful to you or not, the capabilities of today's smart phones is becoming quite extraordinary. Apple is just showing here what it's capable of; whether it's a feature you would use or not, it gives you an idea of what this device is capable of and the quality it encompasses.

By the way, everything was done on the iPhone, even the music, transitions, etc. were added on the iPhone directly.

Rewatch the video if you haven't watched it in the past day, they edited the video with the behind the scenes stuff.
    Personal usefulness to me is besides the point, and just a useless tangent that Moby brought up from a prior discussion he was still sore about.

I watched the behind the scenes. It changes nothing. Skilled director who had to construct dollies and mounts, use a computer to iTunes sync at least once before they had a finish product, record ADR, and work with a crew to create this. THAT is what made the finished product.

You take the same parameters, and use a different shooting and editing method....same result.

Take all of that away and give the iPhone 4 and iMovie to an average joe on the street to shoot....vastly different result. Obviously, the magic aint in the device. It's bizarre to me that people want to heap praise on the phone when it was clearly the director's vision and planning that made it watchable. What a strange way to look at art.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Personal usefulness to me is besides the point, and just a useless tangent that Moby brought up from a prior discussion he was still sore about.
    Wow, another really interesting post that adds a lot to the discussion. Thanks.

I watched the behind the scenes and I am now even more impressed. I took my iPhone to my sons T'ball game tonight. Shot video, edited it, added one of the included jingles. By the end of the game, I emailed a copy out to a few of the other parents. They all loved it. I would post it to YouTube but I'm not crazy about putting images of my kids on the net. Again, I really hope Apple adds more templates.

I don't really think this is necessarily an iPhone thing over a mobile device thing. I'm sure there will be Android devices soon that can do similar editing. I for one plan on using iMovie a lot on my iPhone.
    I still see it as a great on the go feature.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Take all of that away and give the iPhone 4 and iMovie to an average joe on the street to shoot....vastly different result. Obviously, the magic aint in the device. It's bizarre to me that people want to heap praise on the phone when it was clearly the director's vision and planning that made it watchable. What a strange way to look at art.
    Wow. Usually when I see people get so passionate about things they have no desire in owning I just find them to be bored But in this case you just come off so mean spirited.

Was John Williams born a composer or Spielberg born a director? Or did artists like this start off with something small that inspired them to do much greater things. Every craft starts somewhere before it becomes a bigger part of our life. Even as tech geeks then we all have stories of our first electronic doohickey that we tinkered with and now it became our profession. So to hear someone speak so negatively about what can and can't be done here is just sad.

Sure, the guy used other tools to help him with his task, but is that really all you get out of this? We aren't talking about a dedicated video camera where capture is a primary function. This is a video editing system that is on a PHONE, and on the list of phone priorities then "video editing" is probably number 40. Yet as unimportant as the feature may be then it is executed so well that it is worth taking notice. Many people will buy an iPhone for all its other features but some will discover that "hey, maybe making videos is fun". So just like how Hendrix started off with someones throwaway guitar, then maybe in 20 years the next great director will credit his first entry into video editing to the iPhone. Or more realistically, maybe a new mom will get to show off her kid to her parents in a cute unplanned shakeycam vacation video clip all made with a phone.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/30/2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Yeaaaaah, but that's not what he did. The guy had to do ADR to get the clean dialogue between the little girl and the old man, and he had to bounce it down to a track with the music in some external program on another computer, THEN put it in iTunes, THEN sync his phone up so iMovie could use the new polished audio track. Additionally, the camera was mounted to a number of dollies for image stability and additional professional lighting was applied for indoor shots.

The notion that this was done with "just" an iPhone 4 is ridiculous. Try to produce similar results without any of the above. You can't.
    i do believe you can do all that stuff with other iphone apps audio editors. i think reason for iphone can handle all those audio tasks and there are a bunch of audio production apps on the iphone. You could get audio with an iphone and a mic and a recorder.

and the fact that it was mounted doesn't negate that it was done or done in 720p which most phones can't do.

i have no idea what he actually did but i think if you wanted to spend the time it's entirely possible to do all those things you said.

It's bizarre to me that people want to heap praise on the phone when it was clearly the director's vision and planning that made it watchable. What a strange way to look at art.
    I don't know. Take musicians. People heap praise on Eddie Van Halen's "Frankenstrat" guitar even though it was him that played it. it doesn't negate the artistic merit of his playing. Nor Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan, yet people obsess about the tone they got from their gear. They want SRV's exact guitar specs, his pickups, they want Hendrix's fuzz etc.

Hell Nike promoted Michael Jordan with the tag line "it's gotta be the shoes." IT's clear there is art to Jordan's game but even in the marketing they are setting people up to focus on shoes in order to sell them. And people still obsess about the equipment, the shoes. People love the shoes, even old ones. And the guy is retired.

That you would respect the tools artists used to create art is hardly new or out of line in my opinion.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 06/30/2010 at 02:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I still see it as a great on the go feature.
    Like if you are at Disneyland or world or some other family outing to be able to edit and upload before even getting home or leaving to head home is kinda nice, but anything outside of that I do not find it to be amazing. But when it comes to real world recording and editing, I doubt you are going to be bringing some sort of stability device such as a tripod to use with your phone or having the right lighting so getting results like those in the real world are going to be unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Wow. Usually when I see people get so passionate about things they have no desire in owning I just find them to be bored But in this case you just come off so mean spirited.
    I'm befuddled as to how people are admiring the device moreso than the director, not passionate. It really has nothing to do with the iPhone 4 in particular.

Was John Williams born a composer or Spielberg born a director? Or did artists like this start off with something small that inspired them to do much greater things. Every craft starts somewhere before it becomes a bigger part of our life. Even as tech geeks then we all have stories of our first electronic doohickey that we tinkered with and now it became our profession. So to hear someone speak so negatively about what can and can't be done here is just sad.
    Negative? In my first post, I started this thread saying the iPhone 4 had great optics, and then spent the rest of thread lavishing praise on the people who made this short.

That's negative? Really?

Sure, the guy used other tools to help him with his task, but is that really all you get out of this? We aren't talking about a dedicated video camera where capture is a primary function. This is a video editing system that is on a PHONE, and on the list of phone priorities then "video editing" is probably number 40. Yet as unimportant as the feature may be then it is executed so well that it is worth taking notice. Many people will buy an iPhone for all its other features but some will discover that "hey, maybe making videos is fun". So just like how Hendrix started off with someones throwaway guitar, then maybe in 20 years the next great director will credit his first entry into video editing to the iPhone. Or more realistically, maybe a new mom will get to show off her kid to her parents in a cute unplanned shakeycam vacation video clip all made with a phone.
    Again, "unimportance" is an irrelevant tangent.

People are already quite plugged into expanding what you think is possible with a cell phone camera. Google "movie shot on cell phone" and you will see people experimenting with this for several years now. Feature-length films, BTW.

Certainly, "hey, maybe making videos is fun" has been a popular sentiment with the abundance of cell phone video that shows up on YouTube with post-production effects.

We can edit videos on our Pre phones already just as iPhone people could some time ago. Oh, Apple has unleashed a more robust editor with a higher quality camera? Cool. But it's never about the tool. This short doesn't scream "Man, isn't it amazing what an iPhone 4 can do?!?!!". It screams, "Man, isn't it amazing what this guy did with iPhone 4?"

But that's a tweak of people here. One that I find kinda sad, honestly. To use another example in another industry, when District 9 came out last year, part of what made it so notable was that it was a very-expensive looking sci-fi movie with insane action at the end that was shot for just $30 million. But instead of people going "Man, isn't it amazing what $30 million can do in a movie these days", people rightfully said "Wow, that director (Neill Blomkamp) really pulled off something amazing given the budget!"

Because the $30 million was beside the point, just as the iPhone is here or editing the movie in the phone is here. The movie wasn't an example of what $30 million could do. Or what WETA, the special effects company, could do. Only what Neill Blomkamp could do with what he had.

Take the same elements and put them in the hands of someone else...well, you get Redline, another independently-shot actioner from a neophyte director a couple of years back that also cost $30 million and pretty much looks like dogsh-t when you see it on Starz these days (same channel that shows District 9, incidentally).
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i do believe you can do all that stuff with other iphone apps audio editors. i think reason for iphone can handle all those audio tasks and there are a bunch of audio production apps on the iphone. You could get audio with an iphone and a mic and a recorder.

and the fact that it was mounted doesn't negate that it was done or done in 720p which most phones can't do.

i have no idea what he actually did but i think if you wanted to spend the time it's entirely possible to do all those things you said.
    It's not. You can't shoot video like that without rigging equipment and operators who know how to use it. You can't output 720P video without dumping it to another computer. You rarely get clean audio in outdoor settings without ADR.

I don't know. Take musicians. People heap praise on Eddie Van Halen's "Frankenstrat" guitar even though it was him that played it. it doesn't negate the artistic merit of his playing. Nor Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan, yet people obsess about the tone they got from their gear. They want SRV's exact guitar specs, his pickups, they want Hendrix's fuzz etc.
    That's absurd. As a guitarist and semi-professional musician, I know that people fetishize gear all of the time, but it's never in excess or at the expense of the person playing it. Hendrix sounded like Hendrix whether he was playing a Strat through a Marshall or a Gibson Flying V through a Fender head. Brain May sounds like Brain May whether he's using his Red Special through a Vox AC30 or whether he was using a Tele through a Fender on "A Crazy Little Thing Called Love". Van Halen has gone through countless signature amps and guitars with Fender and Peavey. Yet, no one sounds like him. People have been chasing "the brown sound" for decades. It's never been fully duplicated.

It's all about what these people did with the equipment. Respecting the tools is fine, but they're only notable because of what that artist did with it and they're only showing what's possible if they happen to be utilizing it. That's the point many miss here. This isn't a short of what the iPhone 4 and iMovie can do. This is a short of what this director, his crew, his additional equipment, and his vision could do with the iPhone 4 and iMovie.

That people see me pointing that out "being negative" just amazes me.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    That's negative? Really?
    Yes.

Take a step back (literally), drop the hostility and look at the text blocks of you derailing the thread and fighting...with no one. NOBODY is claiming the phone woke up and took this movie with no human assistance. NOBODY is unappreciative of the hard work involved in the movie-making process. NOBODY who watched the extended video is disrespecting the skill the director has. Yet if any commenter admires the "tools" of the director results in you responding to "put us in our place" for daring to think that our inferior skill can create something worthwhile if given a simplistic tool on a cell phone.

You're not being negative? Putting this much effort into trying to argue over individual skill levels of strangers and disprove a feature that you admittedly don't care for is DEFINING negative.

For the 56,000th time, editing a movie on a cell phone has no value TO ME.
    Why would one want to edit video on a 3.5-inch screen? Aside from trimming a segment here or there from the beginning or end of the video, I've almost never used video editing on my Pre or wanted to. It's cell phone video.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/30/2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Yes.

Take a step back (literally) and look at the text blocks of you derailing and fighting...with no one. Nobody is claiming the phone woke up and took this movie with no human assistance, and each person who watched the extended video has deep respect for the director and the movie-making process. Yet if any commenter appreciates the "tools" of the director results in you responding to "put us in our place" for daring to think that our inferior skill can create something worthwhile if given a simplistic tool on a cell phone.

You're not being negative? Putting this much effort into trying to argue and disprove a feature that you admittedly don't care for is DEFINING negative.
    No, you're absolutely wrong. I don't consider discussing things at length to be "putting in effort" if it's a subject that interests me. This thread interests me. But I am not trying to "disprove" anything other than the notion that the iPhone 4 and iMovie were responsible for more than a fraction of what is in that clip. And since the director's own "behind the scenes" and comments substantiates that, I'm good on that point.

If anything, I think characterizing the debate here as "fighting" or "derailing" is silly and hysterical on your part. Or Moby thinking me "angry" about any of this is equally as silly or hysterical on his.

But that's my take. Let's agree to disagree and move on, ok?
    Mikah. I can see where your statements are being taken slightly out of context. Some might see you as arrogant in your responses however... (always one of those)... My brother is a producer, and I totally agree with you. More credit should be placed on the director & his vision, but if they used a Evo and some other movie program I'm sure the Evo would be credited for the work...

If definitely gives you the impression, without the outtakes, and the way the headlines read on the video (in the blogs...) it does make you think/assume it was done with only iphne 4 & imoviewhatever...
    That's Tight! I Wish My Pre Could Edit Video Like That & Add Audio, Transitions, And Trim More! #ImJustSaying
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Mikah. I can see where your statements are being taken slightly out of context. Some might see you as arrogant in your responses however... (always one of those)... My brother is a producer, and I totally agree with you. More credit should be placed on the director & his vision, but if they used a Evo and some other movie program I'm sure the Evo would be credited for the work...

If definitely gives you the impression, without the outtakes, and the way the headlines read on the video (in the blogs...) it does make you think/assume it was done with only iphne 4 & imoviewhatever...
    Thank you, sir.
    Mikah912 is right though. I'm a photographer and I see similar situations all the time...

Joe-Schmoe-Rich-Guy goes and buys a $8000 Canon 1DS MkIII dSLR kit and goes out shooting day after day and has nothing but mediocre images to show for it while a guy like Jim Hancock can get award winning shots with a $99 point and shoot.

Sure the iP4 can capture in 720p and the results are impressive, but for the iSheeple to run out and snatch one up hoping to replicate Mike's results will be sorely disappointed.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    If anything, I think characterizing the debate here as "fighting" or "derailing" is silly and hysterical on your part. Or Moby thinking me "angry" about any of this is equally as silly or hysterical on his.
    Nobody here knows you, they can only judge you by your posts. Your many...many... posts...

I think the biggest lesson to be learned in this thread comes from one man. Rudyrude432.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    I phone 4 sucks...heck any iphone!!
    Look at the beauty and simplicity of his art. Minimal keystrokes and the perfect use of punctuation draws a clear picture of who and what he is. And best of all, it didn't clog the thread with grandiose repetitive speeches. People see the art of rudyrude432, smile and move on.

In contrast we have your work. Youre painting the exact same picture but, where he used short elagant brushstrokes, youre using a hammer. Your textblocks absolutely litter this thread with the same repetitive points that nobody has disagreed with. "The director is talented. We are not." Its a message we understood before you got here so just let the paint dry already.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/30/2010 at 11:34 AM.
    You want the cookie or the gold star sticker?
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Sure the iP4 can capture in 720p and the results are impressive, but for the iSheeple to run out and snatch one up hoping to replicate Mike's results will be sorely disappointed.
    I could care less if I match the results of the guy who created the mini movie. I am extremely impressed at my ability to throw together a quick movie on my phone, without having to sync my device back to my computer, transfer video files, and edit.

I do not expect to get the same quality I possibly can receive if I do my editing on a computer. That is not what I'm looking for here. I want a mobile solution to do something quick and easy with pretty good results. So far I'm very happy and enjoying the results.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast