Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I am due for an upgrade from AT&T. I like the Palm Pre Plus, but with the new iPhone I am re-evaluating my options.

My biggest need is to sync to two separate exchange accounts, one from work the other google. I want sync mail (obviously), but also want to have access to the two address books (and keep them separate), two calendars (again keeping them separate), as well as separate task/to-do list.

Of the phone the phones available, I am considering the following (current ranking):

1) Palm Pre
    2) Palm Pixi
    3) iPhone 4
    4) one of the black berry options available (still need to research these)

Are my goals possible with the PRE?

How about the Pixi? The price of this makes it really favorable. I do not see having huge numbers of applications running, and from what I see the pixi performs nicely.

I know it will come down to me making the final choice, but just looking for some input.
    I would say go with iphone 4. Webos is great but both the pre+ and pixi+ are both very dated phones, and I think the iphone is gunna be better value and more satisfaction for the average user?

It might help to know what phone you are coming from.
    Cross Platform this is....<<Moved>>

New iPhone has some perplexing and alarming reception issues at this point. Do not do.

Given your need to Sync 2 exchange accounts grab the Pre+, it's a great phone. The P|C community makes it a amazing phone.

As for the address book/calender....I'm not you but I can't think of why you'd need the separation given how Universal Search and calendar synergy works in webOS....but that said webOS doesn't really support that kind of model.

Calendar items are bought into the app from multiple sources and given different colour assignments. In my line of thinking it's brilliant! No need to check a bunch of different calendars, it's just all there in one.

It works basically the same with contacts as well. Given how universal search works I doubt you would ever have much need to actually open the contacts app.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/28/2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    Well I had a iPhone 3G, but sold it about 6 months ago because it was driving me crazy, and I knew the the pre coming to AT&T was going to happen "soon". I have been using a motorola Q9H, which believe it or not I have been happy with, again it lacks the multiple exchange option, but it is usable. I really did not care for the virtual keyboard, but I suppose I wold adjust assuming the rest of the system works the way I want it to. My biggest problem with the 3G was the calendar app... it just did not work for me the way I wanted it to.
  5.    #5  
    Well lets put it this way, I do not want my personal contacts showing up in the corporate address book. As for the calendar, I use my gmail calendar for personal appointments and such, while the work calendar is for, well you guessed it work. I don't want the two mixed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl
    As for the address book/calender....I'm not you but I can't think of why you'd need the separation given how Universal Search and calendar synergy works in webOS....but that said webOS doesn't really support that kind of model.
    The "mixing" bit is kind of webOS's strong point. Sounds like this would be unacceptable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    Well lets put it this way, I do not want my personal contacts showing up in the corporate address book. As for the calendar, I use my gmail calendar for personal appointments and such, while the work calendar is for, well you guessed it work. I don't want the two mixed at all.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #7  
    I need to understand the "mixing".

Is it just the calendar or is it contacts also? Put it this way, the corporate address book is something like 2200+ contacts, my personal address book on gmail is around 100. From what you are saying the pre will combine the two so if I look at my gmail contacts, it will not have my 100 contacts + the 2200+ corporate contact? Or is it just on the phone where they are combined.

I don't mind if they are mixed on the phone, it is outside the phone where I want them separated.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The "mixing" bit is kind of webOS's strong point. Sounds like this would be unacceptable for you.
    C
    New iPhone has some perplexing and alarming reception issues at this point. Do not do.

Given your need to Sync 2 exchange accounts grab the Pre+, it's a great phone. The P|C community makes it a amazing phone.
    I would call the reception issues overblown rather than perplexing or alarming.

The iPhone can also sync multiple exchange accounts but I think only one of those accounts can have calendar syncing enabled. Same with address book.

Blackberries cannot sync directly to exchange at all. Your company would have to support BES. There are ways to sync gmail and google calendar and contacts though.

Personally I prefer one calendar and address book. Unfortunately I am stuck with separate calendars for work and home).
    I don't mind if they are mixed on the phone, it is outside the phone where I want them separated.
    webOS combines all your contacts on the phone not on the servers it pulls them from. It will ask you to pick one of the address books as your default, should you add contacts on the phone, it will add them to that address book.

In actual practice you will not likely open your contact list to send e-mails or texts but rather just type a letter or two of your contacts name (or if you have many contacts perhaps the first letter of the first name and the first and/or second letter from their last name) right from the main screen. At that point the contact will show up and you will choose what you would like to do...send them an e-mail, text, call them, etc. It's really slick.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10.    #10  
    webOS combines all your contacts on the phone not on the servers it pulls them from. It will ask you to pick one of the address books as your default, should you add contacts on the phone, it will add them to that address book.

In actual practice you will not likely open your contact list to send e-mails or texts but rather just type a letter or two of your contacts name (or if you have many contacts perhaps the first letter of the first name and the first and/or second letter from their last name) right from the main screen. At that point the contact will show up and you will choose what you would like to do...send them an e-mail, text, call them, etc. It's really slick.
    That I don't mind. As long as it keeps them separated on the server side. I am now just curious if the $250 is worth it for somewhat "dated" hardware. After all the pre platform is what 3-4 years old.
    That I don't mind. As long as it keeps them separated on the server side. I am now just curious if the $250 is worth it for somewhat "dated" hardware. After all the pre platform is what 3-4 years old.
    It's actually just over a year old...
    Demo the phone. If you like the way it operates, the speed at which it gets things done and it does everything you need then your fine. The minute details of the hardware don't really matter.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I would say go with iphone 4. Webos is great but both the pre+ and pixi+ are both very dated phones, and I think the iphone is gunna be better value and more satisfaction for the average user?

It might help to know what phone you are coming from.
    The Pre can handle all the sync stuff you are asking about...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The new Samsung Galaxy S (it'll have a different name on AT&T) is looking like quite a nice phone. Both it or a WebOS phone will handle any syncing duties you require, but I don't know about keeping address books, etc., separate.
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think iPhone supports multiple exchange accounts (though you should be able to use gmail and Outlook exchange at the same time if that is your need)

For my three cents, I'd get the Pre Plus. Synergy (that's what WebOS calls the mixing and syncing of calendars, contacts and such) works really well. After using other OS's (android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and iPhone just to test) I can't recommend switching because it is way too easy to "Just start typing" to pull up apps, contacts and websearches.

If you can, go to Youtube and search some of the first Pre demo vids that will show how to get to your Pre info.

As Ryleinstl said, it really is Slick.

EDIT: iPhone can support multiple exchange accounts. Thanks ADGrant.
    Last edited by biggnaa20; 06/28/2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think iPhone supports multiple exchange accounts (though you should be able to use gmail and Outlook exchange at the same time if that is your need)
    You are. The iPhone does support multiple exchange accounts and has done so for a couple of weeks.
    Let me try to clarify the various responses. webOS can easily not only handle multiple Exchange accounts, but give you joint merged access to them (along with other accounts of various types) on your device, while keeping them separate on the source servers. As long as you're careful about to which account you are adding a calendar item, or contact, on your phone, neither should reflect the other at the source.

My strong suggestion is to wait a bit after the HP acquisition of Palm closes (reportedly this week), and see what new webOS hardware will be announced once the pre-acquisition quiet period ends. That should allow you to make a better, more informed decision. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I highly recommend that you do not purchase a Pre, Pre+ or Pixi due to these devices being terribly outdated. Wait for some new hard if you really want a Palm phone or go with the other choices.
    I need to understand the "mixing".

Is it just the calendar or is it contacts also? Put it this way, the corporate address book is something like 2200+ contacts, my personal address book on gmail is around 100. From what you are saying the pre will combine the two so if I look at my gmail contacts, it will not have my 100 contacts + the 2200+ corporate contact? Or is it just on the phone where they are combined.

Then the Pre will work fine for you. I sort of wish it _would_ combine some of the sources, so I could back stuff up more conveniently, but it's quite good about keeping track of the source of a contact and synchronizing each entry to its own source.

Similarly, the calendar synchs with several different possible external calndars (including google and outlook) and keeps those separate -- and displays them in different colors, and allows you to only look at one at a time.

I like my Pre a lot, and my only reasons to hesitate in recommending it to other are:

1) Not enough apps. They were too slow to get a good SDK out, and it hurt them a lot. There seem to finally be all the apps I really want (a solitaire than plays 2-suited spider, for instance) but there's just tons of stuff on competing platforms.
    2) I'm afraid it will soon be orphan hardware. I hope that HP will continue development and upgrades on the platform, but who knows?

But it's a very decent phone, the synergy thing works well, it's a nice contact book, calendar, web browser, photo-album, and time-waster. The keyboard is better for e-mail than the soft-keyboard of an iPhone (although not as good as the better blackberries). It sounds like it meets your needs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast