Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need some advice on the best way to transfer my Pre's address book over to an iPhone 4. Please no flame wars about Apple vs Palm or the like. I'm sure there are some people here that have done the same thing I'm about to do, and I would like to know what to expect.

Here is what I'm assuming will happen. At the Apple store, they will use cellebrite to transfer over my contact list. Then, I will sync the phone to gmail and it will import my google contacts. Same for facebook.

So, will I have to manually deal with all the duplicate entries? Palm seems to have found a great way to automatically take care of this, but I'm worried it won't be so easy on the iPhone. Or am I completely doing this the wrong way?

Thanks, and lets keep this civil

Jeremy
    Your lucky i wont flame...

The Cellebrite Transfer Machine will only transfer contacts from your palm Profile ... not facebook or gmail.

so thats a yes you will have to manually remove Dupes.. unless itunes/mac has a way to search for dupes....

what i would do is dump your palm profile to a csv and upload it to google where you can manage your dupes a little better and just skip the apple store
    Xybyresoft WebOS Utilities

download here for contact exporter
    Why don't you just save your contacts to google contacts and then go from there? I mean you'll have to enter them manually but it'll be the last time you'll have to.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I used the export contacts to .csv patch and just opened the .csv file in an email attachment. FYI: I did this so I could have my address book on my iPod Touch, I still have a Pre. Haha.

Edit: It even grabs all of your Facebook contacts as well. Very very useful patch!
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    get the preware patch that exports your contacts as a giant .csv file that you can e-mail to yourself.

And for old-times sake, do it with your left hand. You won't be needing it for a loong time...
  7.    #7  
    Really, it only transfers my Palm Profile? That is ideal, then. So the only duplicates I'll have to worry about are people that are in my Palm profile as well as my Google and Facebook one?

I was thinking it would dump all three profiles into the new address book. And then re-syncing it would add even more duplicates. Glad that is not the case.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I'm hoping all the bad left hand stuff is just overblown. Maybe I'll be back soon. I still wish I could get the damn iPhone on Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Your lucky i wont flame...

The Cellebrite Transfer Machine will only transfer contacts from your palm Profile ... not facebook or gmail.

so thats a yes you will have to manually remove Dupes.. unless itunes/mac has a way to search for dupes....

what i would do is dump your palm profile to a csv and upload it to google where you can manage your dupes a little better and just skip the apple store
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevymusic View Post
    I need some advice on the best way to transfer my Pre's address book over to an iPhone 4. Please no flame wars about Apple vs Palm or the like. I'm sure there are some people here that have done the same thing I'm about to do, and I would like to know what to expect.

Here is what I'm assuming will happen. At the Apple store, they will use cellebrite to transfer over my contact list. Then, I will sync the phone to gmail and it will import my google contacts. Same for facebook.

So, will I have to manually deal with all the duplicate entries? Palm seems to have found a great way to automatically take care of this, but I'm worried it won't be so easy on the iPhone. Or am I completely doing this the wrong way?

Thanks, and lets keep this civil

Jeremy
    YOU TRAITOR!

lol j/k just messing with ya....
    If you have your Pre synced w/ Google your Palm Profile contacts and your Google contacts are one! Just sync your iPhone 4 w/ Google and voila you have transported your address book!

If you have contacts in your Gmail account that you don't want synced just create a new one and sync your Pre w/ that one...then sync the iPhone!
  10.    #10  
    No, that is not correct. I just double checked my google contacts to be certain.

Contact entries that are associated with only the Palm account, do not automatically get synced to the Google contacts. For instance, any numbers that you had before your Palm phone (i.e. ported from your older cell phone with Cellebrite) only have an association with your Palm Profile.

It's all awfully confusing with Synergy dumping everything together. That's why I started the post, because I wasn't exactly sure, either.

And I will miss my Pre dearly (especially it's keyboard), but it's time to move on for now. I'm going to miss PreCentral and the forums the most, I think. It's a good community here.

Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    If you have your Pre synced w/ Google your Palm Profile contacts and your Google contacts are one! Just sync your iPhone 4 w/ Google and voila you have transported your address book!

If you have contacts in your Gmail account that you don't want synced just create a new one and sync your Pre w/ that one...then sync the iPhone!
    Down with the traitor!!! Pitchforks and torches for everyone (they are free).

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I am having and issue trying to export because i am a Mac user. Is there any solution for mac?

HELP!
    The export to CSV patch is for WebOS, so it shouldn't make a difference.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    I do not use a Palm Profile as my default, I use Google and I did it that way from the start (so my stuff here will be different). But you can use the export to .CSV option (like the email patch to do it at one) and move it over to Google. Google's Contact screen (at least in Google Voice) has a "Find Duplicates" option that can handle those.

Then sync you iPhone with Google (search Google Sync from Google's own site for instructions) and everything in Google syncs to your phone & your Pre (I still have both my Palm Pre Plus on Verizon and my new iPhone 4).

If you have a Mac at home, you can even go a little farther. If you have MobileMe, you can link them all together so Palm updates Google which updates MobileMe which updates all your Apple stuff. And if you update your info on any Apple stuff, it updates MobileMe and then Google, and then your Pre. All automatically and behind the scenes. In this case you would NOT set up Google Sync on your phone but rather, on your home computer.

Anyway, this last setup is how I have it and my stuff goes back and forth (including contact pics!).
    *grabs torch with left hand*

We get signal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Down with the traitor!!! Pitchforks and torches for everyone (they are free).
    This Aiding And Abetting thread is totally against forum rules!!!
    Tomi... get back to your job of hitting your phone's update icon so we all know when our next update will hit. I'll help Abyssul pass out pitchforks
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Why don't you just save your contacts to google contacts and then go from there? I mean you'll have to enter them manually but it'll be the last time you'll have to.
    how do you do this?
    I'm surprised no one on the apple forum could help, they are so intelligent and all
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    how do you do this?
    On the pre you add your gmail account as a contact account then you set it to default then press sync most other smart phones will be able sync your contacts from Google to the phone i know this works with iphone and BB and palm pre all android devices... its rather easy It's close to that on other devices as will but differs slightly...

All you iphone boys remember to hold your phone right so you can get good signal... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast