Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You guys really have to get over this iPhone fetish. The entire point of the Pre was to be an anti-iPhone: the ultimate iPhone killer. The timing of its release was to coincide with all those iPhone contracts ending. This is what was being said by Palm spokespeople. This is what they really believed. Even a Sprint official said as much recently. On that basis, it was never going to win. Many people in the Palm camp are still of that iPhone killing mindset. It is never going to happen and you just have to get over it.
    That would certainly account for the iTunes obsession. Clearly the ex-Apple people working for Palm were delusional if they thought they could take on their former master.

Android has clearly won the battle to be the iPhone's challenger. Palm will be trying to compete with Microsoft (their old rivals) down in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Palm will be trying to compete with Microsoft (their old rivals) down in the minors.
    It is as if you have already seen this news. The MS Kin has been reduced in price because it is being outsold by the Pre.

Kin One drops to $29, Two drops to $49, data plans remain silly expensive -- Engadget

There you have it; the Pre is the Kin killer.
    It is as if you have already seen this news. The MS Kin has been reduced in price because it is being outsold by the Pre.

Kin One drops to $29, Two drops to $49, data plans remain silly expensive -- Engadget

There you have it; the Pre is the Kin killer.
    I was thinking more of Microsoft's new platform Phone 7 but it is a bit sad that the poster child for low sales is the Pre.
    I was thinking more of Microsoft's new platform Phone 7 but it is a bit sad that the poster child for low sales is the Pre.
    Hey, look on the bright side. At least the Pre can be said to have killed something. In fact, the phone it "killed" was produced by one of the "giants" in the industry, and the phone was released this year. If you can't find a way to spin that to be good news for the Pre, then you're not trying.
    I think the most enlightening part about iPhone sales is that 77% of those were upgrades. That is huge brand loyalty and something to be envied.

One problem, though, with such a high upgrade rate is that the rate of new adopters is slowing due to near saturation on AT&T. This will likely mean that when Apple does add other US carriers, they will likely add them all at once... that is of course if Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile wanna play ball and give Steve Jobs 100 bucks a phone in excess of the cost per unit.

Methinks that will be a big decision for Sprint/T-Mobile, but a no brainer for Verizon.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Methinks that will be a big decision for Sprint/T-Mobile, but a no brainer for Verizon.
    I think it would be a no brainer for either network if they could get Apple interested in them.
    Hey, look on the bright side. At least the Pre can be said to have killed something. In fact, the phone it "killed" was produced by one of the "giants" in the industry, and the phone was released this year. If you can't find a way to spin that to be good news for the Pre, then you're not trying.
    Unfortunately the unvarnished truth is that the Pre has outsold what is probably the crappiest smartphone shipped this year.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    People love their Iphones... Regardless of the antenna issue, the Iphone launch was a huge success for Apple. I'm hoping when the release of Palm's new device,that amount might be doubled. Do you think Palm's launch day might be a huge success?
    actually most of them don't know yet lol my friend is apple fan and now he wants to k*ll jobs lol cause his new iphone got too many drop call lol but what ever iphone 4 is POS
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The only way to not compete with the iPhone is to stay away from the consumer market and stay away from AT&T, right now.
    I disagree. Palm's problem was marketing phones with kb's. Truth is, people on sprint or V want a slab like the iphone. HTC knows this and brought them the Hero, Evo, etc.

And now that android is mainstreamed for the most part, Palm has problems. Palm had chances and had a window of opportunity. They blew it.

Now Palm is no more. It's IP now with HP.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I disagree. Palm's problem was marketing phones with kb's. Truth is, people on sprint or V want a slab like the iphone. HTC knows this and brought them the Hero, Evo, etc.

And now that android is mainstreamed for the most part, Palm has problems. Palm had chances and had a window of opportunity. They blew it.

Now Palm is no more. It's IP now with HP.
    I agree. Palm are on record saying they will not produce a phone with a virtual keyboard. However I also think it will take someone like HP to force the necessary change in mentality at Palm that will allow the company to develop a phone with a virtual keyboard to go along with phones with hard keyboards. That is to say, at least now the problems at Palm now have a chance at being fixed
    I don't think the hardware QWERTY was a plus or a minus for the Pre. Probably a net zero. I imagine for every person that was relieved to get a hard QWERTY smartphone with a modern OS, there was one turned off by being stuck in Portrait orientation the vast majority of the time (really, all of the time when it came to text entry).

Where Verizon managed to "get away with it" as far as Droid was that they made a thin, nigh pointless keyboard that was unnecessary and unobtrusive. A few weeks back near the end of my weekly poker game (in a weak signal area in the boonies), my Pre battery dropped from 50 percent to zero suddenly (I had mail and messaging turned off and not pinging the server, so I have no idea what caused this). I asked to borrow my friend's Droid to text my wife to let her know she wouldn't be able to reach me until I got home. He told me I'd do better using the onscreen keyboard.

That's a virtue of Android. It's a mature OS that scales to any form factor. WebOS doesn't function without a gesture area and a portrait QWERTY. HP certainly INTENDS to change that, but who knows how long that will take.
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    And to think Predogs once argued w/ me that everyone who wanted an iPhone already had one...wait till it hits Verizon.
    Yeah i'm not sure that's true. I'd get one if it was on Sprint. But i think there is a very valid argument made by tech analysts is that Apple is close to saturation on AT&T. That is, people that have AT&T and want an iphone tend to already have them. And this 1.7 million, is a lot of upgrades, thus they are customers that already have iphone and already are on plans on AT&T. So it's not growing market share significantly. Now Obviously this is a generalization and obviously there are some people changing carriers, first time iphone buyers, etc which would be new customers. We'll see someday i'm sure if all that is true. But that's what many people say. But it's also why so many people think they'll move to another carrier. Cause it's an instant way to gain marketshare through new customers rather then just keeping customers through upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    You have to come up with a product the rest of us want, not a product to lure away iphone users. There are alot of us around that don't like the iphone for whatever reason, make a phone for us Palm.
    I have to wonder if that's a successful strategy. I have a hunch that most potential consumers want exactly the sort of things the Iphone offers.There may be a lot of people that don't like iphones but i don't think it's close to being enough. Must potential customers aren't on some anti-apple crusade like most pre users. Plus i've always kinda thought what you want is what Palm already did and it doesn't seem to have resulted in a ton of sales. Personally i think you have to do exactly what apple does just do it better because that's what most customers want. just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Apple sells 1.7 million iPhone 4s through Saturday, June 26 -- Engadget

There you have it. 600,000 pre-orders turned into 1.7 million iPhone 4 sales through this Saturday -- the Sunday sales haven't even been counted yet.
    something to consider too is this is only in like 5 countries. The Iphone 4 will gradually roll out in the rest of the world through the end of the year. So we can expect them to have a good couple of quarters profit wise.

I disagree. Palm's problem was marketing phones with kb's. Truth is, people on sprint or V want a slab like the iphone. .
    i actually think Palm had many more then just one problem.

specifically you mention a slab. I think that's true. my next phone isn't having a physical keyboard. but that's a design issue. Or possibly you could say it's a management issue in deciding not have a virtual keyboard ready and not to have more then one design, a slab and a slider. For example if you just hate the design it's not gonna matter if the marketing is good. But my general point is i think Palm can look at more then just one problem, like bad marketing. It's one of many.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 06/29/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Yeah i'm not sure that's true. I'd get one if it was on Sprint. But i think there is a very valid argument made by tech analysts is that Apple is close to saturation on AT&T. That is, people that have AT&T and want an iphone tend to already have them.
    I am not sure about that. My wife and I are both on AT&T and neither of us have iPhones. The iPhone 4 seems so much better than the alternatives on AT&T (particularly the screen and speed), that I am reconsidering my position. It helps that I now have an iPad which I have been very impressed with.
    This pretty well explains those sales numbers:
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    I don't understand the hate behind the iPhone here. I've used all of the major platforms and WebOS and iOS are the only ones that stand out. Android users are extremely delusional and remind me of the hardcore Linux ******* that don't understand their environment is incredibly frustrating to use when you're used to things working correctly the first time and all of the time.

I would have loved to see Apple purchase Palm and merge the two operating systems. Take what rocks on both platforms to make the ultimate mobile OS. Obviously we all know that didn't happen so we'll have to see what becomes of Palm in the next few months (or years).

It boils down to this: If Palm doesn't announce (or, better yet, release) a new WebOS phone before the iPhone is released on a CDMA carrier I will switch to the iPhone. If the iPhone isn't released on a CDMA carrier before the first Nokia MeeGo phone is released, I'm buying a Nokia and joining a majorly overlooked market in the US. (For those that haven't seen it, check out the N8 or supposed N9 as well as the MeeGo operating system... it's pretty neat.)
    I am not sure about that. My wife and I are both on AT&T and neither of us have iPhones. The iPhone 4 seems so much better than the alternatives on AT&T (particularly the screen and speed), that I am reconsidering my position. It helps that I now have an iPad which I have been very impressed with.
    there are obviously exceptions and it was "tend to." I doubt anyone could assert that there is a blanket truth that's always right but i doubt you'll see the share of iphone users among current AT&T customers double or triple. Which is the sort of growth, apple needs to maintain it's growing share price.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    there are obviously exceptions and it was "tend to." I doubt anyone could assert that there is a blanket truth that's always right but i doubt you'll see the share of iphone users among current AT&T customers double or triple. Which is the sort of growth, apple needs to maintain it's growing share price.
    That's probably true. However, currently only 17% of AT&T customers have iPhones and the cheapest data plan is now only $15 so a doubling is not out of the question.
    Just went and played with the iphone 4 at the apple store today. Left me with a really good impression. The thing just exudes class, the hardware is phenomenal. The screen is the most gorgeous display i've ever seen. It is extremely quick and snappy. If it was available on verizon and ran webos I would buy it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Android users are extremely delusional...
    Really? Android is doing just fine and is breaking new grounds all the time. I just saw this: Cisco + Android = Tablet.
    ...features a 7-inch high-resolution color screen, an Intel Atom 1.6-GHz processor, 32GB of flash memory to store marketplace apps, a detachable/replaceable 8-hour battery, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0 and 3G/4G data, Cisco collaboration applications, an HD soundstation, HD audio, 720p HD video with Cisco TelePresence for video conferencing and integrated security...
    Spending time bashing Android is a personal choice for sure. Just keep in mind that while you're spending your time bashing, they are spending their time innovating. More importantly, other companies are spending their time innovating on Android as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Really? Android is doing just fine and is breaking new grounds all the time. I just saw this: Cisco + Android = Tablet.

Spending time bashing Android is a personal choice for sure. Just keep in mind that while you're spending your time bashing, they are spending their time innovating. More importantly, other companies are spending their time innovating on Android as well.
    Weird thing about that tablet is they are marketing it to business users. Sounds expensive.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast