Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think it's one of those crazy thought experiments to even try to imagine what features a Palm device would have to have to sell this many devices in one day!

-HD/3D Screen?
    -Bulletproof Jet Fighter grade glass screen?
    -3 Ghz Quadcore processor?
    -Indestructible Uni-body Adamantium Skeleton?
    -72hour Battery life(Continious Use)?
    -Teleportation Conferencing?
    -An overall product design so sexy it was inspired by Megan Fox's body?
    (Let's be honest Megan Fox and Palm just go together!)
    -Time Travel?

1Million in 1 day!

Let's put this in perspective. Eminem new album is on pace to do record sales
    ...Over 700K in it's first week!

700K at $10-15 a pop in one week vs 1 Million at $199 a pop in one day!

And to think Predogs once argued w/ me that everyone who wanted an iPhone already had one...wait till it hits Verizon.
    yup and they'll keep selling too, i have a AT&T contract and right now all they want to sell is iphone 4, they dont even have a pre plus on display where I'm at in florida anymore. Though business is buisness and Iphone is what sells in adundence.
    and we know these sales numbers are correct? im willing to bet actual numbers are well below whats being stated.... think evo
    Well, at least Apple will shortly give you a real number of how much they sold first day, first weekend, first quarter, etc. They always do.

How long did it take Palm to say how many Pres were sold first day? first quarter? one million sold?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    and we know these sales numbers are correct? im willing to bet actual numbers are well below whats being stated.... think evo
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    I think it's one of those crazy thought experiments to even try to imagine what features a Palm device would have to have to sell this many devices in one day!
    Not nearly as much as you estimate in your post. Palm could probably get close with:

1. A professional ad campaign across all media well in advance of the release (4-6 weeks).
    2. A prerelease announcement event that rivaled the CES 2009 one, but without the huge time gap between announcement and release (6-12 weeks).
    3. An OS that does everything that was demonstrated in the prerelease event - and more (rather than less).
    4. A high-quality, functional product with broad appeal (rather than a low quality product with narrow appeal).
    5. A SDK with access to most of the phones hardware functions (pretty close to this now).

Palm's getting there, but HP will have to do a lot more with a future release to get there. Look at Verizon's Moto Droid launch last November: even with all the hype and advertising only 250,000 were sold in the first week and the 1 million mark wasn't crossed until 2.5 months later.
    Don't forget a rocking App Store. If they can get #3 right then a high-quality and high quantity app store also with broad appeal will be key.

At this point 3-4 years after iPhone, everyone can build a gigahertz machine with all the trimmings. I look at the Android phones and they have the hardware and the OS... if only I can get all the apps I have and can't go without now, I could see myself xferring over to another platform more easily.

If HP can do it, then that's another option I'd have.

Content (apps) is king.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Not nearly as much as you estimate in your post. Palm could probably get close with:

1. A professional ad campaign across all media well in advance of the release (4-6 weeks).
    2. A prerelease announcement event that rivaled the CES 2009 one, but without the huge time gap between announcement and release (6-12 weeks).
    3. An OS that does everything that was demonstrated in the prerelease event - and more (rather than less).
    4. A high-quality, functional product with broad appeal (rather than a low quality product with narrow appeal).
    5. A SDK with access to most of the phones hardware functions (pretty close to this now).

Palm's getting there, but HP will have to do a lot more with a future release to get there. Look at Verizon's Moto Droid launch last November: even with all the hype and advertising only 250,000 were sold in the first week and the 1 million mark wasn't crossed until 2.5 months later.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    One million less people in line for the next Pre
    Gosh, at least they wont be stuck with just Sprint when they do come out with another phone and if smart launch on all services at the same time. that was a big negative for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    Which is VERY bad for HP/Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    I think 200,000 on the first day would be a huge success for Palm/HP. If you try to compete with Apple you are already behind. You have to come up with a product the rest of us want, not a product to lure away iphone users. There are alot of us around that don't like the iphone for whatever reason, make a phone for us Palm.
    True, Palm is really competing with RIM and Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Gosh, at least they wont be stuck with just Sprint when they do come out with another phone and if smart launch on all services at the same time. that was a big negative for them.
    I continue to laugh at this notion that Palm was ever "stuck" with Sprint. Have you seen the underwhelming launches on AT&T and Verizon? Have you seen how those carriers are doubling down on iPhone and Android respectively?

Sprint is safe harbor for Palm where they sold the most devices and had the most carrier support. It is not some manacle that is holding Palm back. It is the least competitive environment (though that is changing with their "E... 4G" line of Android phones) for WebOS devices to be sold currently since T-Mobile basically isn't an option. If Palm had launched with the Pre 1.0, crappy app catalog, build quality problems and Borg Queen commercials on any other carrier but Sprint, the results would've been the same or worse. Don't forget Verizon announced they were getting the Pre before anyone ever heard of Droid. Did that stop anyone from jumping on the Droid train or keep Verizon from having a disastrous launch with the Pre Plus? No.

As for the Apple numbers, it's pointless to expect another device to match or exceed them. Apple is unique in that they have the manufacturing capacity to pretty much meet most of the demand for devices at launch, as well as the brand name, hype, and advertising to drive appropriate demand. No one else - including HTC, RIM, and Palm - is capable of the same, which is why you see HTC leaving money on the table on both Verizon and Sprint by not being able to get enough Incredible and Evo4Gs made to satisfy immediate demand, thereby bleeding impulse buy sales to newly announced devices from Motorola, Samsung, and Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I continue to laugh at this notion that Palm was ever "stuck" with Sprint. Have you seen the underwhelming launches on AT&T and Verizon? Have you seen how those carriers are doubling down on iPhone and Android respectively?
    Verizon is clearly pushing Android over WebOS. AT&T isn't really doubling down on iPhone, it's just selling whatever Apple produces. OTOH trying to sell a Pre for $150 when an iPhone is only $50 more doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T did push up the upgrade date for anyone who is eligible for an upgrade in 2010 so that made a lot of people eligible for the lowest price only a year or so after they bought the 3GS. They definitely helped the iPhone 4 launch immensely by doing this. It makes one think that they really wanted to lock-in the iPhone 3GS users before some other carrier gets the iPhone 4 this Fall or to discourage people from moving to an Android device.
    Exactly. That's what I meant by doubling down. Verizon is going to be the same way with the Droid brand. Sprint is basically making their own brand with "E... 4G" devices. HPalm would do well to launch one of the latter ASAP.

HP Emerald 4G?
    HP Embrace 4G?
    HP Enigma 4G?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm a WebOS guy but let's be honest.

The numbers are impressive simple as that. I did read over the weekend that about 70% - 75% of sales were upgrades but given the design change from the 3GS, that's not surprising. The iPhone 4 is one of the best looking phones out there (personally I think the best looking), and remember a lot of non-tech folks buy phones for their looks just as much as they do for the capabilities of the device.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd bet the order of reasons why non-tech's buy the iPhone goes 1) Apps, 2) Looks, 3) Hardware capabilities. And you can forget 4) 'Cus my friend has one
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    People love their Iphones... Regardless of the antenna issue, the Iphone launch was a huge success for Apple. I'm hoping when the release of Palm's new device,that amount might be doubled. Do you think Palm's launch day might be a huge success?
    dont think so
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I don't think so. My wife wants an iPhone. Our local AT&T store said they were getting some in Tomorrow and the store opened at 7:00am. I asked what time we should get there and was told 5:00am.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T did push up the upgrade date for anyone who is eligible for an upgrade in 2010 so that made a lot of people eligible for the lowest price only a year or so after they bought the 3GS. They definitely helped the iPhone 4 launch immensely by doing this. It makes one think that they really wanted to lock-in the iPhone 3GS users before some other carrier gets the iPhone 4 this Fall or to discourage people from moving to an Android device.
    thats true . its all in their methods
    Wow, I can't believe all the stuff about the carriers being at fault for the Pre not doing well. The thing failed in every market that it was launched in. I never thought the Pre had to concur the iPhone in order to be successful. It simply had to be a good device and be promoted right. Knocking the iPhone's or Android's success does nothing to help the Pre. Sprint did not kill the Pre, Palm did that with their mistakes. Being a long time Palm fan, I really rooted for the Pre, but facts are facts. This is not meant to be disrespectful, but c'mon guys/gals. The thing has failed around the world and we are sitting here blaming US carriers and other devices? Really?

Both the iPhone and Android deserve their success. They've earned it despite their issues. Palm needs to earn some success and we really need to stop making excuses for them. They may still have a shot with webOS but they must really need to play their cards right. Sorry for the pun.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Wow, I can't believe all the stuff about the carriers being at fault for the Pre not doing well. The thing failed in every market that it was launched in. I never thought the Pre had to concur the iPhone in order to be successful. It simply had to be a good device and be promoted right. Knocking the iPhone's or Android's success does nothing to help the Pre. Sprint did not kill the Pre, Palm did that with their mistakes. Being a long time Palm fan, I really rooted for the Pre, but facts are facts. This is not meant to be disrespectful, but c'mon guys/gals. The thing has failed around the world and we are sitting here blaming US carriers and other devices? Really?

Both the iPhone and Android deserve their success. They've earned it despite their issues. Palm needs to earn some success and we really need to stop making excuses for them. They may still have a shot with webOS but they must really need to play their cards right. Sorry for the pun.
    Well said.
    You guys really have to get over this iPhone fetish. The entire point of the Pre was to be an anti-iPhone: the ultimate iPhone killer. The timing of its release was to coincide with all those iPhone contracts ending. This is what was being said by Palm spokespeople. This is what they really believed. Even a Sprint official said as much recently. On that basis, it was never going to win. Many people in the Palm camp are still of that iPhone killing mindset. It is never going to happen and you just have to get over it.

Does anyone remember Palm before it developed this iPhone fetish? If you must compete with someone, try Nokia or MS. Compete with vendors who make phones for the mid to low end market. Compete in the bogof and free arena. Palm may yet prove to be a good dog trainer, but they should stay out of the lion's den for now.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 06/29/2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: addition
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast