1.    #1  
    A little bird told me that Sharp is working on a new Zaurus with a 400mhz chip.... has this hit the web and I missed the news?
    Originally posted by Tonewiz2k
    A little bird told me that Sharp is working on a new Zaurus with a 400mhz chip.... has this hit the web and I missed the news?
    There has been no official announcement yet. However sources at Sharp have been dropping hints about a 400MHz X-Scale version of the SL-5500 by the end of the year. The SL-A300 (a compact version of the Zaurus without keyboard or CF slot) is based on a 200MHz X-Scale and is slated for release in Japan this month. That means that Sharp has an X-Scale version of the Zaurus OS pretty much ready to go. Dropping that hardware and software into the SL-5500 form factor should be a "no brainer".
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    This would be a relief, as it seems even though for a while the Zaurus chances looked grim, Sharp is standing by it . I got and love mine. Recently got an 802.11b CF card and it is awsome. I now can install packages from feeds, and browse the web wirelessly. Although it is heavy on the battery. I'm personally hoping they come out with a higher capacity battery for the Z.
    I've been waiting for slightly better battery life too, though I'd be picking one up mostly just to play with the tech (being able to wander around the house surfing the net with a wireless handheld would be rather cool ) , considering there's no sync software for OSX yet.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    This would be a relief, as it seems even though for a while the Zaurus chances looked grim, Sharp is standing by it . I got and love mine. Recently got an 802.11b CF card and it is awsome. I now can install packages from feeds, and browse the web wirelessly. Although it is heavy on the battery. I'm personally hoping they come out with a higher capacity battery for the Z.
    What do you think of the keyboard? It looks ill-placed to me. I like where it is on the Treo. That is one reason I think the keyboard on the Sony NR series is poor.
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Wonder waht it's gonna cost?
    The important thing is that they optimize the OS and the Software to utilize the XScale Processor.

I finally bought an iPaq 3955, which has the 400Mhz XScale. While the PDA itself is very nice, it is actually _slower_ than the 206Mhz ARM based iPaq's are. Hopefully, the next update of PPC will be optimized for the XScale, but who knows.

At any rate, it is great to see Sharp continue to enhance the Zaurus.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2