Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    WebOS ranked along side Meego - ouch
  2.    #42  
    In the article (see my last post), two of the top-level findings were:

1. Porting applications across platforms is the number one developer pain.
    2. Multitasking tops the list of iPhone 4 features.

One would think that Palm would be leading the way. But in the next section that charts developer interest in each platform, iPhone and iPad lead the way. And no, Palm is not anywhere near #3, or the top five, for that matter. Android fills the #3 slot, but that is behind the newly launched iPad platform. The iPad is broken out separately from the iPhone for the sake of clarity, and it still beats Android for developer interest. You can't convince me that the iPad is more lucrative than all of Android right now.

Finally, I suggest studying the whole last table in the article. I will only highlight the places where Apple is behind. Android is considered the most capable OS, and the most open platform: the latter, by a large margin. Yet, none of that translates to near-term success. Developers do suggest that Android has the better shot at long-term success. That is still yet to be seen.

My point is if these technical differences that matter so much to haters and geeks such as "true" multitasking, Flash, open development, number of advanced features, hardware tech specs, etc., made any difference, the iOS platform would not be ruling the roost, nor would Palm be so far behind. There are good reasons for Apple's present dominance, and it ain't the iPod. Perhaps I will touch on that in a later post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    In the article (see my last post), two of the top-level findings were:

1. Porting applications across platforms is the number one developer pain.
    2. Multitasking tops the list of iPhone 4 features.

One would think that Palm would be leading the way. But in the next section that charts developer interest in each platform, iPhone and iPad lead the way. And no, Palm is not anywhere near #3, or the top five, for that matter. Android fills the #3 slot, but that is behind the newly launched iPad platform. The iPad is broken out separately from the iPhone for the sake of clarity, and it still beats Android for developer interest. You can't convince me that the iPad is more lucrative than all of Android right now.

Finally, I suggest studying the whole last table in the article. I will only highlight the places where Apple is behind. Android is considered the most capable OS, and the most open platform: the latter, by a large margin. Yet, none of that translates to near-term success. Developers do suggest that Android has the better shot at long-term success. That is still yet to be seen.

My point is if these technical differences that matter so much to haters and geeks such as "true" multitasking, Flash, open development, number of advanced features, hardware tech specs, etc., made any difference, the iOS platform would not be ruling the roost, nor would Palm be so far behind. There are good reasons for Apple's present dominance, and it ain't the iPod. Perhaps I will touch on that in a later post.
    Apples true success is mind control....It is honestly mind-bottling the rabid fanbase they have.

As per the recipe for success you mentioned previously...it is Android. Could there be another competitor or a fail by Android?(Possibly) But here they are with a strong app catalog, a SLEW of amazing manufacturers rdy to pump out massive amounts of devices, and not only marketing from these makers of devices but also the phone carriers. Verizon just does it oh so well.

I think Palm rly missed an opportunity here. I would not doubt one bit that HTC would of loved to have webos on some handsets made last year but they screwed the pooch on that and now they find themselves up against a behemoth.

Interest will increase for Android because of the above reasons...add that to the PPs pointing out that they go where the dollar bills are and Android will be getting strong in the next year.

Another addition will be the pad market....how in the world Apple got one first is beyond me. For yrs we have heard oh Apple will do pad its coming its coming and yet where are the Android pads to beat it to the punch? Simply amazes me.

But we will see some very strong Android pads coming out soon. They will likely be very strong and should be appealing to consumers as they will be imo the closest implementation of a laptop type experience.

As for long term success....well this is where Android being everywhere could actually hurt it. How many ppl have an Android phone and have no idea about the app market or ever purchase one from it? I have seen several older ppl with Android phones and you have to wonder if they even know what OS is running on their phone.

I believe Android will go very strong in the coming months. Atm the news the otherday had about 36m Android sets to be sold compared to the 35m Iphones to be sold this year. So in numbers alone it seems like a great time to jump into that market and make a name for yourself as a developer. But again it will come down to how many are actually using these devices and the fragmentation issue could be a problem.

Although Google seems to be wanting to fix that with Gingerbread hoping that companies will rely more on Vanilla Android rather then adding their overlay and possibly taking less stress of the manufacturers when it comes to updates.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    Apples true success is mind control....
    Sure...

That sounds a lot like medieval thinking. Whenever someone thought or acted differently from the majority, they were accused of being witches, or consorts of witches, or possessed by evil spirits. They couldn't imagine how someone could be different from the community at large without help from some outside, evil influence.

Below is a link to another interesting article, this time, by Lance Ulanoff, editor of PC Magazine. Lance is not an Apple fan boy, nor has he ever owned an iPhone. He is a Blackberry user and a general tech enthusiast. I believe he also owns a Palm Pre. This article, though not specifically about app development, is germane to my central thesis.

Lance spends 24 hrs. with the new iPhone 4. He catalogues his time with it in journal style. It is important to note that not every perception he has should be taken as gospel. He is new to the iPhone experience, so he gets a few things wrong along the way.

Bare in mind, this is a man who knows technology and has read all of the same things as you have about Apple products. His whole perceptions have changes after just one day with the device. As an end user, his imagination was excited as he considered the possibilities. The same thing happens to developers. Lanced loved his experience, not because of the endless supply of money Apple continues to print, despite the recession. He did not love it because his readers would like a pro-Apple view. They won't. He does not shill for Apple, nor does his publication. His reaction is why there are 200,000 apps for 100 million users, and growing exponentially. After using the product, his mind was not controlled; it was changed.

24 Hours with the Apple iPhone 4 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That sounds a lot like medieval thinking. Whenever someone thought or acted differently from the majority, they were accused of being witches, or consorts of witches, or possessed by evil spirits. They couldn't imagine how someone could be different from the community at large without help from some outside, evil influence.
    Hah. The worst thing you can say to someone who dislikes Apple products is that they are not accepting of those who think differently or want products that not everyone has. And that the Apple-haters are more comfortable with mainstream products, and go along with the majority.

Because their argument that iPhone users, for example, is often that iPhone users are just sheep who follow the crowd and want what everyone else has.
    I've read that a dozen times in here.

That's all fine and good til you realize that in phones and computers, Apple has been, and always will be, a smaller segment of the market. It's a premium end product (price-wise) so will never, ever reach the penetration that a more mid-range or cheaper product will.

Yet iPhone people just want the phone that "every one else has." ?!?!

Either its a broad platform that everyone has, and wants, and is brainwashed into having. Or its a niche product that few people, comparatively, have and outside the mainstream. Can't be both.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Hah. The worst thing you can say to someone who dislikes Apple products is that they are not accepting of those who think differently or want products that not everyone has. And that the Apple-haters are more comfortable with mainstream products, and go along with the majority.

Because their argument that iPhone users, for example, is often that iPhone users are just sheep who follow the crowd and want what everyone else has.
    I've read that a dozen times in here.

That's all fine and good til you realize that in phones and computers, Apple has been, and always will be, a smaller segment of the market. It's a premium end product (price-wise) so will never, ever reach the penetration that a more mid-range or cheaper product will.

Yet iPhone people just want the phone that "every one else has." ?!?!

Either its a broad platform that everyone has, and wants, and is brainwashed into having. Or its a niche product that few people, comparatively, have and outside the mainstream. Can't be both.
    You said that perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    Apples true success is mind control....It is honestly mind-bottling the rabid fanbase they have.

Another addition will be the pad market....how in the world Apple got one first is beyond me. For yrs we have heard oh Apple will do pad its coming its coming and yet where are the Android pads to beat it to the punch? Simply amazes me.

But we will see some very strong Android pads coming out soon. They will likely be very strong and should be appealing to consumers as they will be imo the closest implementation of a laptop type experience.
    Build a easy to use product, make it super simple and you, too, can have a rabid fan base.

But, what I do find truly funny is that everyone on here SCREAMS how they hate how Apple controls everything, but I bet that well over 95% of you on here drive an automobile with an automatic transmission. But, you ask a "real" car guy and he will tell you a "real" driver would never let a car shift for them.

So, are you not being hypocritical when you complain about how controlling Apple is, but you have no problem letting a car control your shifting experience?

Seems to me that over 95% of the driving population made a decision in choosing an automatic transmission because they don't want to be bothered with it. Yet, I don't see people going around calling the automatic shifting folks rabid, sheeple, etc. Please explain to me why Apple's rabid fanbase can't choose a phone that is the easiest to use, the controlled app buying experience, and it just works without users having to tinker with it (like the automatic transmission) without the minority of geeks chastising them for it?

As, for the iPad. Just as Apple showed the rest of the phone industry how to do cell phones right, so shall the iPad.

And if the pad is just like the laptop experience, why would a consumer buy it over getting another laptop? The iPad is succeeding because it is NOT a laptop. It is also another example of a geek speaking for himself and not looking at it from the point of view of the typical consumer. See, the iPad works for the typical consumer, that's why it's the first tablet device to ever sell as well as the iPad does. Just like if the iPhone were on Verizon, you would see that Android would not be as popular as it currently is.
    Last edited by SoFly; 06/27/2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Build a easy to use product, make it super simple and you, too, can have a rabid fan base.

But, what I do find truly funny is that everyone on here SCREAMS how they hate how Apple controls everything, but I bet that well over 95% of you on here drive an automobile with an automatic transmission. But, you ask a "real" car guy and he will tell you a "real" driver would never let a car shift for them.

So, are you not being hypocritical when you complain about how controlling Apple is, but you have no problem letting a car control your shifting experience?

Seems to me that over 95% of the driving population made a decision in choosing an automatic transmission because they don't want to be bothered with it. Yet, I don't see people going around calling the automatic shifting folks rabid, sheeple, etc. Please explain to me why Apple's rabid fanbase can't choose a phone that is the easiest to use, the controlled app buying experience, and it just works without users having to tinker with it (like the automatic transmission) without the minority of geeks chastising them for it?

As, for the iPad. Just as Apple showed the rest of the phone industry how to do cell phones right, so shall the iPad.

And if the pad is just like the laptop experience, why would a consumer buy it over getting another laptop? The iPad is succeeding because it is NOT a laptop. It is also another example of a geek speaking for himself and not looking at it from the point of view of the typical consumer. See, the iPad works for the typical consumer, that's why it's the first tablet device to ever sell as well as the iPad does. Just like if the iPhone were on Verizon, you would see that Android would not be as popular as it currently is.
    Well number one I never complained about how closed Apple is.(Although them leaving out a Gvoice app is pathetic). Number two, I would prefer a stick shift and it still has no cor election between what I want my phone to do.

"Build an easy product..." - There are tons and tons of easy products that are better then what Apple produces and yet they don't have an Apple on them.

I have no problem with Apple except the ******* who have no objectivity towards it and like the video shows ppl just assume that it was made by Apple so its the best thing ever w/o any experience or knowledge of other things out there.(Kinda shown from the last few posts bashing me just by stating that it is truly amazing that they do what they do)

Not understanding how Apple showed others how to do phones right considering no phone is anywhere near it.(Besides Blackberries who far outsell it) All they did was speed up the evolution process. Companies don't give you the best of everything because then they can't sell you the next best thing that comes out.

Same with the pad....what will they show them? Its a pad. There is no magical formula to it. As for laptop experience, yes I think ppl will be looking to use a pad over a laptop as time goes on. It doesn't mean its a laptop clone, it will obviously offer more in multimedia terms but I am sure some(myself included) would prefer to use a tab over a laptop and atm the ipad isn't there with not having multitasking(yet) and flash.

Again, I rly don't have too many problems with Apple and gave my opinion on "how the app market could be cracked" and somehow I get labeled as a hater and a "geek".
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post

So are you saying that the iphone is the equivalent of the less efficient and less safe automatic transmission while Android and webOS are more efficient and safe like a manual transmission and those using them are hypocrites if they drive an automatic transmission car?

That a brilliant analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    So are you saying that the iphone is the equivalent of the less efficient and less safe automatic transmission while Android and webOS are more efficient and safe like a manual transmission and those using them are hypocrites if they drive an automatic transmission car?

That a brilliant analogy.
    A vehicle with a manual transmission is only more safe and more efficient if it's driven properly in which your average driver does not.
  11.    #51  
    Just ran across this article this morning. It spoke directly to one of my points in my original post. It is easy to draw different conclusions from the chart in the article. Here's mine:

Except for those in it purely for the money, Android developers and iOS developers are very different groups. If the majority of developers were in it just for the money and not passion for the platform, there would not be 10,000 Android developers; they would all be iOS developers. At the very least, there would be a whole lot more crossover between the two. There isn't. Developers first write for what they love, and second for what will make them money. The jailbreak community proves that. The first community to spring up for any platform is the one that has no financial incentive. That is a good measure of the passion quotient.

Palm has made it trivially easy to port iOS apps to WebOS. But they, and their users are still having to do campaigns that amount to begging and paying developers to port an app. There is no passion in the developer community for WebOS. That is not just a simple measure of units sold; it is a symptom of a bigger problem.

Palm has to come out with a device that translates into user and developer passion. All the money in the world will not make developers write great apps for you. Just ask MS. They're throwing as much money at iOS developers as the accountants will allow. If anyone will be able to bribe developers into writing apps, it will be MS, not Palm. Good luck with that.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123