Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 148
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    From the youtube videos I have seen of REAL iPhone users having this problem, I can't believe this is a non-issue.
    No YouTube evidence needed for me. First thing I tried was the left-handed hold on my sisters iPh4 at her house in Pleasanton (Ca.). Sure enough, after a few seconds...the signal faded like Lindsey Lohan's career.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    From the youtube videos I have seen of REAL iPhone users having this problem, I can't believe this is a non-issue.
    Your love of WebOS probably has something to do with it too.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #123  
    Three Apple job postings for iPhone / iPad antenna engineers to "Define and implement antenna system architecture to optimize the radiation performance for wireless portable devices." All three were posted on June 23rd, the same day that we started seeing widespread reporting of the left-handed reception issues. Coincidence?

    HAHAHAHAHA
  4. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #124  
    Excellent article on the iPhone antenna. While Apple could have done a couple things better, the bottom line is:

    From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

    Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
  5. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #125  
    Gizmodo... June 2009

  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Gizmodo... June 2009

    Nice photoshop job.



    Just kidding.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    No YouTube evidence needed for me. First thing I tried was the left-handed hold on my sisters iPh4 at her house in Pleasanton (Ca.). Sure enough, after a few seconds...the signal faded like Lindsey Lohan's career.
    I live in San Ramon.

    I met with my business partner at the Starbucks right next to Hooters in Dublin. He got the new iPhone on launch day. I played with it and tried to get the bars to drop and what do you know, I got it to drop from 5 bars to 1 bar. It didn't disconnect though.

    He lives in Marin and doesn't have the issue there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Your love of WebOS probably has something to do with it too.
    Yeah, my love for webOS makes physical evidence disappear.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Gizmodo... June 2009

    That poll no longer applies. A software update corrected any issues we were having with signal strength. Whereas the iphone4 has a hardware problem.
  10. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    That poll no longer applies. A software update corrected any issues we were having with signal strength. Whereas the iphone4 has a hardware problem.
    If you read the article from Anandtech, it's more of a perception problem.

    The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.
    Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
  11.    #131  
    Apple continues to play the fool by denying the iPhone 4 has antenna problems, even as new reports paint an unflattering picture.

    A purported internal memo to AppleCare representatives, published by Boy Genius Report, illustrates a "deny 'till you die" attitude at Apple headquarters. The document tells customer service to stress how the iPhone 4 has better reception than any previous iPhone, that all phones lose signal strength when you cover the antenna (so don't), and there's no way you're getting a free case.

    All those claims are true, but they don't tell the whole story.

    On Wednesday, Anandtech published an iPhone 4 review that includes extensive testing of the antenna. The reviewer hacked the phone so it would give a numerical readout of signal strength, and tested the signal in six locations around Tucson, Ariz., holding it in a variety of positions. He also tested the iPhone 3GS and HTC's Nexus One for good measure. (Click to enlarge)

    Indeed, the iPhone 4 did show greater signal attenuation compared to the other phones unless a bumper case was attached. Even when held naturally, the iPhone 4's signal dropped more than other phones when they were cupped tightly in the hand.

    But -- and this is a big "but" -- Anandtech proved Apple correct that the iPhone 4 gets a better signal overall. The reviewer could didn't experience dropped calls during an entire day of use in one-bar territory, cupping the phone tightly without a case, and found success in places where the iPhone 3GS failed. Still, he said the signal drop remains an issue and should have been addressed with insulative coating.

    The review did not discuss effects on data, but PC World's Mark Sullivan conducted informal tests around San Francisco, and in four out of five locations, he found significant drops in speed when holding the iPhone 4 in his left hand.

    My feeling is that for many customers, the benefits of iPhone 4's improved signal quality will outweigh the drop in signal strength when holding the phone in a certain way. But to deny that there's any issue at all is disingenuous -- not that candor has ever been Apple's strong suit.

    Which brings us to one last bit of news: On June 23, Apple posted three job ads, all seeking candidates who can "design antennas suitable for wireless handheld devices with excellent radiation performance." It could be just a coincidence, but a poorly timed one if so.

    Source: Apple Can't Wish Away iPhone 4 Antenna Woes - PCWorld
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I live in San Ramon.

    I met with my business partner at the Starbucks right next to Hooters in Dublin.....
    Off Topic...I quit going to that Hooters when the door girl(s) would open the door for me and greet me by my first name...
  13. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    That poll no longer applies. A software update corrected any issues we were having with signal strength. Whereas the iphone4 has a hardware problem.
    And Apple sells more iPhones in a week than Palm has sold Pre's and Pixi's from day 1.

    Your point?
  14. #134  
    This whole thing is really strange. I can really only duplicate this in one location I go to. Sure enough, if I hold the iPhone in my left hand at this location, I lose all my bars. The weird part is, I never lose my call.

    Many people have reported they actually lose their call. I have no idea how Apple will deal with this, but it would be nice if Apple made some type of real statement about the matter. I still don't know if I would ever notice it if I wasn't trying to always get my signal to fail now.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Off Topic...I quit going to that Hooters when the door girl(s) would open the door for me and greet me by my first name...
    LOL. I never go there anymore either, because their wings have gone downhill.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This whole thing is really strange. I can really only duplicate this in one location I go to. Sure enough, if I hold the iPhone in my left hand at this location, I lose all my bars. The weird part is, I never lose my call.

    Many people have reported they actually lose their call. I have no idea how Apple will deal with this, but it would be nice if Apple made some type of real statement about the matter. I still don't know if I would ever notice it if I wasn't trying to always get my signal to fail now.
    Try holding in your left hand so that it only touches the sides only without touching the perimeter band at the bottom...see what happens
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    LOL. I never go there anymore either, because their wings have gone downhill.
    You go there for the wings??
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  18. #138  
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    That poll no longer applies. A software update corrected any issues we were having with signal strength. Whereas the iphone4 has a hardware problem.
    Umm...no.
  20.    #140  
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions