Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 148
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Are you being serious? It's nice that you have so much faith in Apple that you want to ignore anything wrong with the new iphone...

    You even used PC Mag as a reference...
    Are you serious? Faith? What the heck are you talking about? I don't have faith! This is not a religion! I have an iPhone. It makes calls. It doesn't drop any more calls than any other iPhone I've had. The issue is a none issue for those who actually use the phone.

    Clearly, you are the one with the religious faith. You don't use the phone; you only post comments about the phone that you have never used as a phone. You are the one with blind faith that this is actually a real issue that affects real phone calls. You are the one who thinks SJ is the Devil and that the Pre is the savior. I gave you an example from a pundit who uses a Pre as his everyday phone. Yet because you don't like what was said, it couldn't possibly be true. That's what I call faith.
  2. #102  
    The Pre still wins easily as the phone i've dropped the most calls on. Reception problems, software problems. Couldn't even answer a call half the time even if you had the device in front of you and it started ringing.

    At the time, if i could've put a case on it and eliminated reception problems, that would've been epic.

    Seriously, whatever issues are being reported about the new iphone doesn't even compare with the issues that plagued the Pre.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'd consider that more of an added feature... It should have come stock with the phone though.

    But still, patches aren't meant to "fix flawed software". Do you consider jailbreaking an iphone "fixing flawed software"?
    I consider any phone that can't tell me when the message/call was sent/made or received to be flawed. An added feature would be something like the BBM delivery/read flags.
  4. #104  
    Well, nice try.

    First of all, I do have some experience with the new iphone. One of my good friends got one on launch day and I've been playing with it more than he has lol.

    Secondly, I don't think SJ is the devil or the Pre a savior. It's just a phone... Relax. SJ has done amazing things for Apple and the iphone. Blaming his customers for something his company did wrong is a bit ridiculous though. Don't you agree?

    Yes, you gave an example that one person claimed the Pre has the same problem. If it was anything as bad as the iphone, wouldn't we have heard it mentioned here at least once?

    I'm not trying to bash the iphone. The new one is actually pretty amazing. However, it has a hardware issue. SJ himself confirmed it (as well as countless prominent websites)...
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I consider any phone that can't tell me when the message/call was sent/made or received to be flawed. An added feature would be something like the BBM delivery/read flags.
    It's not really flawed. But I do see your point. WebOS was released missing a lot of standard features. It has come a long way since then, but is still missing a few small things...
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    While that's true, software patches to fix or add features have become the norm with just about every manufacturer. I can easily forgive developers for mistakes or not adding a feature as those can usually be remedied easily. However hardware flaws that should be fairly obvious (given how quickly this came to light), especially from a company and ceo that continually pride themselves in their attention to detail and quality of the their products, is harder to give a pass.
    WebOS was announced about 18 months ago. It shouldn't still be necessary to patch it to make it work like any other smartphone. An end user shouldn't need to put a phone into developer mode.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    WebOS was announced about 18 months ago. It shouldn't still be necessary to patch it to make it work like any other smartphone. An end user shouldn't need to put a phone into developer mode.
    The iPhone just got pseudo-multitasking and cut and paste support was added well over a year after the original among other things. Hell the first didn't even have 3g capabilities or exchange support. Yeah webOS was late and probably should have launched with more features included but I think one can make a similar argument for the other OSs out there.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  8. #108  
    +1 I'm wit you on this one.



    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you serious? Faith? What the heck are you talking about? I don't have faith! This is not a religion! I have an iPhone. It makes calls. It doesn't drop any more calls than any other iPhone I've had. The issue is a none issue for those who actually use the phone.

    Clearly, you are the one with the religious faith. You don't use the phone; you only post comments about the phone that you have never used as a phone. You are the one with blind faith that this is actually a real issue that affects real phone calls. You are the one who thinks SJ is the Devil and that the Pre is the savior. I gave you an example from a pundit who uses a Pre as his everyday phone. Yet because you don't like what was said, it couldn't possibly be true. That's what I call faith.
  9. #109  
    Some, maybe even most iPhone users live with dropped calls and reception issues because they love iPhone - it's so cool.

    True Story;
    A few years back I was in an Att store. A girl and her mother were looking at the iPhone. The sales rep recommended a couple other options. The mother looked at the daughter, and the daughter replied with a whiny voice; "But I want an iPhone!"
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The iPhone just got pseudo-multitasking and cut and paste support was added well over a year after the original among other things. Hell the first didn't even have 3g capabilities or exchange support. Yeah webOS was late and probably should have launched with more features included but I think one can make a similar argument for the other OSs out there.
    The original 2G iPhone also had no real competition. The only OS to have survived the iPhone launch is RIM's BB OS and even they have had to up their game.

    When the original iPhone was launched, the only phone OS with exchange support was Windows Mobile. I think it was also the only mobile OS which supported 3G on GSM networks.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The original 2G iPhone also had no real competition. The only OS to have survived the iPhone launch is RIM's BB OS and even they have had to up their game.

    When the original iPhone was launched, the only phone OS with exchange support was Windows Mobile. I think it was also the only mobile OS which supported 3G on GSM networks.
    The original iPhone had a nice screen and web browser, that was it. It sucked for business use and was far behind Palm OS, Blackberry and Windows Mobile in terms of features. Also there was no app store.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The original iPhone had a nice screen and web browser, that was it. It sucked for business use and was far behind Palm OS, Blackberry and Windows Mobile in terms of features. Also there was no app store.
    Apple will never win a feature-focused battle. When will people understand this and also learn that the average consumer could care less about a 'list of features'???

    The orignal iPhone outsold all Palm OS devices in 2007.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The original iPhone had a nice screen and web browser, that was it. It sucked for business use and was far behind Palm OS, Blackberry and Windows Mobile in terms of features. Also there was no app store.
    Well it was the first phone to have a decent web browser. I don't think it was intended for business use.

    PalmOS is gone and Windows Mobile is about to join it.
  14. #114  
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    [url= hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason -- Engadget[/url]

    Something for the iKoolAid drinkers.
    Kinda funny. I'm just glad they are trying to fix it. Apple
  16. #116  
    Here is a quick quote from an antenna specialist on the subject. Sorry, I grabbed from an RSS feed in Mail. I was too lazy to go to the web and grab a link. He had some scathing comments about the antenna problem, but ultimately his comments are summed up bellow:

    iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I’ve never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it’s readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

    The key to this whole thing is the last three words of the quote: "in actual use".
  17. #117  
    Just heard Leo Laporte on the current Macbreak, say that he has demonstrated the same problem on a Palm Pre. Leo is a huge fan of the Pre and not a big fan of the iPhone. In fact, he is with most of you about the iPhone antenna. He is an Android user. But, he also realizes that placement aside, this is an issue of the modern smartphone.

    Then again, I'm sure Leo is not much loved around here either.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just heard Leo Laporte on the current Macbreak, say that he has demonstrated the same problem on a Palm Pre. Leo is a huge fan of the Pre and not a big fan of the iPhone. In fact, he is with most of you about the iPhone antenna. He is an Android user. But, he also realizes that placement aside, this is an issue of the modern smartphone.

    Then again, I'm sure Leo is not much loved around here either.
    Leo is a huge fan of the Pre? Are you kidding?

    From the youtube videos I have seen of REAL iPhone users having this problem, I can't believe this is a non-issue.

    One of the more interesting videos was a guy who showed how bandwidth dropped dramatically during a speed test when he was "holding it wrong".

    And for the record I have never had any signal issues with my Pre on Sprint, but maybe that's because Sprint has excellent coverage in the Bay Area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    From the youtube videos I have seen of REAL iPhone users having this problem, I can't believe this is a non-issue.
    Your love of WebOS probably has something to do with it too.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just heard Leo Laporte on the current Macbreak, say that he has demonstrated the same problem on a Palm Pre. Leo is a huge fan of the Pre and not a big fan of the iPhone. In fact, he is with most of you about the iPhone antenna. He is an Android user. But, he also realizes that placement aside, this is an issue of the modern smartphone.

    Then again, I'm sure Leo is not much loved around here either.
    Listen to Tuesday's Tech News Today on TWiT network. Tom Merrit plays a listener message about some info that Steve Gibson uncovered....most cellphone strength "bars" show full strength so long as there's 5% or better reception. When below 5%, then the bars begin to reduce their readings. It could explain why some may not be affected by the left-hand grip of the iPh4...perhaps they are close enough to a tower that the strength isn't affected. I'm sure that Apple has an AT&T tower on campus so maybe that's why it wasn't revealed or as much as a problem during testing.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions