1.    #1  
    Howdy! When reading which forum I should post this in, this forum sounded like the best bet when it said "This is the place for "What should I get""... so here we go!

OK, so I've been a long time user of Palm devices, and since 2006 I've been using some kind of Palm smartphone--first the Treo 650, and now my Centro. In a few weeks I'm due to replace my phone with a new unit, and I just discovered my carrier, AT&T, finally has the new Palm phones; I'm very interested in finally getting myself into the new Palm phones. But I do have a few concerns first, so maybe you Palm addicts can help me out here!

* I know about Classic on the WebOS, so that's important to me as I will be able to keep some important apps (like LJP). But how far "out" can Classic apps go? I presume it's in its own little shell; that is, an application such as Explorer will only be able to access files within the Classic realm? Or can I use Explorer to access files ANYwhere on the phone, including whatever WebOS creates and uses? Furthermore, can any PalmOS app access the phone's telecommunication functions, like I could use Toccer to chat on AIM with if I wanted to like I can on my Centro without any interference from the WebOS?

* Also, how much software is there for the WebOS? Part of the reason keeping me from the iPhone (apart from the lack of a physical keyboard) is its lack of important productivity software as well as other nifty, useful stuff (like an overclocker). BUT if the WebOS doesn't have much apps either in this department, then it wouldn't behoove me to get a new Palm either, does it? ... Now these are the apps I'm wondering exists on the WebOS that I would like to have, does anyone know if they exist and if they're any good?

--- Word processor [I used Documents To Go about 80% of the time. If it doesn't exist on the WebOS (yet) then it'll make a new WebOS-based Palm that much of a harder sell]
    --- Card Reader [I like being able to use my phone as a portable drive on my computer, I'd like to know if I could do the same thing]
    --- CallRec [I have a terrible memory, so being able to record my calls--as well as any other thought I have--would be awesome]
    --- Multi-codec video player, akin to CorePlayer [I probably use this one the most after Docs to Go]
    --- Instant messanging that allows me to export my logs
    --- MP3 ringtones
    --- Explorer [file browser and FTP client]
    --- Screenshot [it takes screenshots :P]
    --- pTunes [internet radio]
    --- a image manipulation and/or drawing program [I'm not expecting Photostop... hell, I'll even settle for MSPaint!]
    --- Google Maps [an absolute MUST]

I'd say that's pretty much all the ones I really would like to see. If the apps available for WebOS include these... or even two different versions of each, then I'll be a happy camper. If not, then... hmmm...

* Also, does either of the phones use expandable memory (like a MicroSD slot)? I could live without it, but I do like being able to trade files between computers and devices.

* Can you also categorize apps, address book entires and other things like PalmOS could?

I hope I'm not being too picky here... it's just that these are the things I consider to be "standards" on my Centro, and I'd prefer to have replacement apps for these on any new non-PalmOS system I'm gonna be migrating to. In fact, part of the reason why I DON'T want an iPhone is because I know it lacks many of these important things.

I certainly do appreciate any help you could give me relating to this topic; hopefully though I find that the WebOS is even more than I expect it to be! Thanks for your time! (^_^)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'll preface this by saying that as an AT&T customer I've only had my Pre since just after it's release date. I did migrate from the Centro so I at least know where you are coming from. I'll answer what I can for you. In some cases I will defer to those much wiser than me in the ways of the Pre and Pixi.

--- Card Reader [I like being able to use my phone as a portable drive on my computer, I'd like to know if I could do the same thing]
    Never used this but the Pre can be put in USB mode which treats it just like a portable drive. Very nice feature.

Since you know about Classic I'm thinking that may be the way to go with some of the old apps. I don't know if there is a Docs to Go app yet as I don't use it but with Classic you could use the PalmOS version.

--- MP3 ringtones
    --- Explorer [file browser and FTP client]
    --- Screenshot [it takes screenshots :P]
    --- a image manipulation and/or drawing program [I'm not expecting Photostop... hell, I'll even settle for MSPaint!]
    Yes it does MP3 ringtones and takes screenshots and there are a few FTP and Explorer like apps. There are also a few different drawing apps like Paintr and some photo manipulation ones.

--- Google Maps [an absolute MUST]
    Absolutely agree with you there and the Pre uses GPS which makes it much better than the Centro.

* Also, does either of the phones use expandable memory (like a MicroSD slot)? I could live without it, but I do like being able to trade files between computers and devices.
    Can't speak for the Pixi but the Pre does not support MicroSD but it works like a USB drive on the computer so it's not to hard to move things around.
    * Can you also categorize apps, address book entires and other things like PalmOS could?
    Apps can be categorized using the Named Pages in the Launcher patch.
    Address Book entries can be categorized using Super Contacts app, there is a free and paid version of it.

From what I've found so far it's not as easy to customize the Pre as it was with the Centro, but with all the patches and apps available you can definitely make it work for you.
    A lot of the stuff you want is available but Docs2Go is not. Classic basically runs in its own sandbox and does not interact with the rest of the platform. CardReader is not needed as that functionality is built in.

Compared with iPhone, Android or even Blackberries, WebOS is very weak from the application availability standpoint. It has not attracted the developer mindshare that PalmOS did in its day.
    I came from centro to pre+ and I recommend that. I also carry a blackberry curve for work. Pre rocks. I can provide more info when I get to a pc if interested. Pre with homebrew is a great combination.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys! I visited an AT&T Store earlier today and poked around with its Palm Pre Plus display model and was quite impressed with what I saw.

I'm glad to know that there are a lot of apps that are like what I want, or are better. I'm so used to Centro's Google Maps that when I saw the Google Maps on the Pre (with its walking guide function), it felt like that was a "luxury" item to me. :P It's also good to know that the Pre can be used as a drive when plugged into a computer such that I can copy files to and from it, thus fulfilling the CardReader function.

As for Classic working in its own Sandbox, and the lack of DocsToGo for WebOS, I hope that I can still run DocsToGo in Classic as normal and continue to write and edit documents that way. Now I'm sure I won't have anything to worry about getting DocsToGo working in Classic, but I just wanna make sure that it DOES work and no "this program cannot be used in Classic" message comes up.

----

ADGrant:
    Compared with iPhone, Android or even Blackberries, WebOS is very weak from the application availability standpoint. It has not attracted the developer mindshare that PalmOS did in its day.

That's a real damn shame. But that's also why I'm glad that Classic exists for WebOS because I can use whatever important apps I have that no WebOS version exists for.

I remember the early days of MacOS X when no one wrote any OSX software and thus Apple has to have Classic in order to ease the transition between OS9 and OSX. But now Classic is history because there exists OSX apps which are better than whatever existed for Classic...

To which, I can only hope that HP and Palm doesn't bail on the WebOS... and that the Palm Pre will be compatible with whatever new version of the WebOS (WebOS 2, WebOS 3) that will come out in the upcoming years. (_) (_) I then also hope that HP and Palm doesn't play eternal catchup with the iPhone.

...Anyways, thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by nick15; 06/24/2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added a single piece of text
    I too came from a Treo 650, a Centro and finally a Pre. The thing is I am on Sprint. This is what was available to me. As an AT&T customer I would go with an iPhone. Jailbreak it and get StyleTap (Palm OS on the iPhone!) on it. I don't know much about it because it cost money and I didn't feel a need to pay for it on my iPod Touch but that seems like a smarter bet.

But if the iPhone isn't for you I would get a used Pre or Pixi rather than waste an upgrade on it. They are totally not worth it right now. The major drawback is lag, and the lack of stability within apps.
  7.    #7  
    likeobama
    I too came from a Treo 650, a Centro and finally a Pre. The thing is I am on Sprint. This is what was available to me. As an AT&T customer I would go with an iPhone. Jailbreak it and get StyleTap (Palm OS on the iPhone!) on it. I don't know much about it because it cost money and I didn't feel a need to pay for it on my iPod Touch but that seems like a smarter bet.

I'm a major Apple addict, but unfortunately the iPhone just "isn't there" enough for me. True, neither is the Pre, so in that case, money is the real determining factor.

I did some calculations and discovered that owning an iPhone would cost me more than $400 total over the two-year plan period, which is enough to buy me a 64gb iPod Touch.

To which, I'm gonna give the Pre two years to shape up before I probably switch to the iPhone 6 when it comes out in 2012/2013.

But if the iPhone isn't for you I would get a used Pre or Pixi rather than waste an upgrade on it. They are totally not worth it right now. The major drawback is lag, and the lack of stability within apps.

Unfortunately, all the used Palm Pre Pluses on eBay are in the ballpark of $250-$350. I can get one through AT&T for $150 when I renew my plan for another two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick15 View Post
    I'm a major Apple addict, but unfortunately the iPhone just "isn't there" enough for me. True, neither is the Pre, so in that case, money is the real determining factor.

I did some calculations and discovered that owning an iPhone would cost me more than $400 total over the two-year plan period, which is enough to buy me a 64gb iPod Touch.
    The only real advantage the Pre has over the iPhone is the keyboard. I am not sure how you did your calculations but last time I checked the difference in price was $50.

OTOH If you want a Centro type experience maybe you should consider a Blackberry.
  9.    #9  
    ADGrant;2525231
    The only real advantage the Pre has over the iPhone is the keyboard. I am not sure how you did your calculations but last time I checked the difference in price was $50.

Actually I'm thinking of the bill. Right now I pay on average of $65/month (not including taxes) on my phone bill. Switching to an iPhone would require me to change my plan to a more expensive iPhone plan, which, with my average useage, would have me pay between $80-$85/month, or $15-$20 more each month. And since the contract would be having me use it for 24 months, that increase would add up to about $500 total, or the cost of an iPod Touch.

OTOH If you want a Centro type experience maybe you should consider a Blackberry.

Actually, I'm interested in a "best phone for me needs" experience. I've seen a Blackberry and those just don't have enough for what I need.

And an iPhone would be great, but I can't afford it, and it's not "there" yet. Again, the Pre isn't either, but at least I'm getting what I'm paying for. Plus I wanna give Palm my support; I'm a sucker for underdogs, that's why I've been an diehard Apple fan since the 80's. :P

The Pre has Classic, which is good enough for my needs. And as soon as WebOS 2 comes along and allows for microphone use, the last thing left missing in my Pre experience--the ability to record my calls--will be addressed soon after.

None of the other phones can give me this experience, at least not for the right price, and at least not right now. We'll see what the world is like in 2012/2013, but right now the Pre is (apparently) enough for me.
    The data plan costs are exactly the same for the Pre on AT&T as they are for the iPhone.

The Pre with Classic costs the same as an iPhone.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The data plan costs are exactly the same for the Pre on AT&T as they are for the iPhone.

The Pre with Classic costs the same as an iPhone.
    You sure about that? I don't mean that rhetorically, but like, did AT&T start making users who renew their contracts switch onto an "iPhone" plan after I renewed my contract with my Centro in 2008--because in reality it's not "an iPhone plan" but "a smartphone plan" and thus applicable to ALL smartphones (even if I renewed my contract with a Centro AFTER they apparently started doing this)?

Cuz like, I've been using Palm smartphones on AT&T since 2006 (the Treo 650 and now the Centro) and I've been paying the same ~$65/month (not including tax and other fees) as I always have.

That is to say, my bill is:
    * $40/month for the most basic Nationwide coverage, which has 450 Anytime minutes, 5000 nights/weekend minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes
    * $20/month for unlimited data and 200 texts; I usually always go over my allotted texts and, on average, make an additional 100 texts, which rounds out to about $5/month extra

Now looking at AT&T's iPhone documentation, it gives these options:
    * $65/month for Unlimited Talk, 2GB Data bandwidth and Email (but pay-per-use Texting, which is 20 per text)
    * $85/month for Unlimited Talk & Texting, 2GB Data bandwidth and Email

I calculated that I would be paying $15-$20/month more based on the assumption that I would still be paying my ~$65/month plan after I renew my contract with a Pre--and considering that I'm not on an iPhone and thus won't be paying iPhone prices--and that renewing my contract with a Pre would not switch me over to the more expensive iPhone plan.

If, however, renewing my contract with a Pre would automatically switch me over to the more expensive iPhone plan--which, again, is only just the "smartphone" plan--then I'll probably end up with the iPhone. But because I'm RENEWING my plan, and not getting a completely new plan or line, I don't think I would be forced to pay more, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong here! I just wanna make sure I have all the facts right before I get myself into something I would regret!
    Last edited by nick15; 06/26/2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: left out a word! also changed plan info
    You should check with AT&T but you should be on the smart phone plan with your Centro and you appear to be on the dumb phone plan. I doubt you will be able to stay on that plan with either phone. I am surprised you have been able to stay on that plan with the Centro.

The current plans for smartphones are $15 for 250mb and $25 for 2gb. That pricing applies for any smartphone AT&T sells, iPhone, Pre, Blackberry etc.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You should check with AT&T but you should be on the smart phone plan with your Centro and you appear to be on the dumb phone plan. I doubt you will be able to stay on that plan with either phone. I am surprised you have been able to stay on that plan with the Centro.

The current plans for smartphones are $15 for 250mb and $25 for 2gb. That pricing applies for any smartphone AT&T sells, iPhone, Pre, Blackberry etc.
    I did some research and found that you were right about AT&T having some new plans for ALL smartphones.

What happened was that when I got my Treo 650 in 2006, I got their "Media Max 200" smartphone plan (unlimited data, 200 texts for $20/month extra). When I then got my Centro in 2008, they grandfathered me into the "Media Max 200" plan, even after they changed their smartphone plan system. However, if I'm to get a new phone--either a Pre or iPhone--I'll need to switch plans to their new system and lose my current plan. OR I could just get a no-commitment phone and thus keep my plan, but I don't think I will.

Thing is, I looked over my bills from the past 17 months and did some calculations... I saw that my average phone use was ~220 mb/month and 500 text/month, which was a $75/month bill; $10 more than I originally thought.

I then looked over AT&T's new smartphone plans and found that, based on my established phone usage, the 2GB and 1500 text plan combo would give me a $80/month bill; $5/month more than my average. This plan would also mean I won't pay more than $80/month, where as with my current plan, I've gone over $80/month several times. Nothing like a consistent bill!

To which, what I'm paying now is still a cheaper plan, but I could get much more than what I'm getting now for only $5/month more. If I decided to get a no-commitment phone just to keep my current plan, I'd be paying $250 more for the Pre or $400 more for the iPhone, and at $5/month, I'd have to way a few years to make my money back from buying the no-commitment phones.

... But now that I know both the iPhone and Pre costs just about the same amount of money (at least phone bill-wise), I've been kicking around whether I SHOULD get the iPhone... or just stick with my original plan of getting a Palm Pre Plus.

I think I'll just stick with the Palm Pre Plus though.
    As long as you are making that decision with the full facts. Have you considered just sticing with the Cento?

My opinion is that for the same amount of money the iPhone 4 is a lot more phone. I don't have one myself but a couple of friends do and I have used theirs. It's a very impressive phone.